Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1686846 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6225 on: March 22, 2018, 01:45:06 pm »

IMHO, xenophiles should be proponents of war against determined exterminators, devouring swarms, and other intrinsically unreasonable faction- though maybe less so against the Fanatical Purifiers, since they can eventually be converted with enough work. (As I believe happened in your own LP) If you're in a war with an ally, then liberating allied worlds should tick back your war exhaustion slightly, and supporting allied fleets should slow it down. I agree that the more apocalyptic your bombardment policy is, they more they're going to protest and complain.
I can see isolationists being okay with war when you're maintaining a buffer around your territory. Xenophobes would probably be okay with you obliterating the stations that border your territory, but they'd hate having you try to get vassals or (god forbid) integrate new worlds.
I need to dip into Stellaris modding and see if this is project is even remotely possible
There could be different xenophilic factions, based upon what the secondary or tertiary ethos, or even civics are. So a xenophile/militiarist/individualist would advocate wars of liberation against hegemonic slavers, or containment wars against the exterminator-type states, while the more neutral xenophile faction is neither supportive nor opposed to war as long as xenos casualties are minimized. Isolationists sound pretty hilarious, getting angry at conquering worlds, and I suppose they could be fun as a faction that supports everything in war (collateral damage, heavy bombardment, planet destroyers) EXCEPT conquering xenos pops or subjugating enemy states, because they just want to be left alone and not get involved with xenos. Regarding fanatical purifiers becoming pacifists, I'm not sure if it can be done in the current game peacefully like I did in my LP, and if you can I haven't seen it happen yet. This may tie into the devs making the fanatical purifier civic impossible to add or remove. It's possible that the civic can still be made to go inactive, which will make the state normal again, but I haven't tested or seen this yet. This all sounds like dank beans ideas though

How would this system work with hive minds who don't have factions or pop happiness though? You can't really have them just be willing to fight indefinitely. The only way I can think of to do it is to use basically the system we have now except exhaustion can bump downward too because of successes, but that would make them far more powerful than normal empires when it comes to waging war, especially aggressive wars, on top of all the other advantages they have.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: March 22, 2018, 02:14:58 pm »

How would this system work with hive minds who don't have factions or pop happiness though? You can't really have them just be willing to fight indefinitely. The only way I can think of to do it is to use basically the system we have now except exhaustion can bump downward too because of successes, but that would make them far more powerful than normal empires when it comes to waging war, especially aggressive wars, on top of all the other advantages they have.

For my part, I'm perfectly willing to let hive minds not worry as much* about war exhaustion. It's a hive mind, the war is over when it says its over. There's no committee against it, no people that will rebel against it, nothing to bar its decisions. Granted, showing it that a particular front is untenable for expansion should certainly slow one down. Depending on the type of gestalt, I'd basically set it up so that there's a hidden faction with a particular set of war exhaustion rules unique to the type of gestalt, and that faction has 100% of the population. Your basic joe-shmoe swarm probably is happiest when it's actually taking worlds for itself, regardless of whether they're inhabited or not, and detests losing ground or being uprooted from previously claimed world. Devouring swarms would get more a flavoring of militarist and authoritarian where they can roll back war exhaustion by taking inhabited worlds and gain it more slowly in fleet combat. Robots would likely get more shadings of materialism, and so on.

*I'm also willing to let other empires suffer reduced war exhaustion when fighting swarms. Because shit gets real when the zerg show up.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: March 22, 2018, 02:22:32 pm »

everything changed when the zerg nation attacked
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: March 22, 2018, 02:28:54 pm »

I think the problem is too much is factored toward balance.

*I'm also willing to let other empires suffer reduced war exhaustion when fighting swarms. Because shit gets real when the zerg show up.
Or when facing any other threat that'll do horrible things to your pops if you lose.  Yes, converting my pops into hive mind zombies, robotic abominations, or into some sort of hoo-doo spirit things are one of those horrible thing. 
Also existential threats.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: March 22, 2018, 04:56:05 pm »

well that's the problem with multiplayer games

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: March 22, 2018, 04:58:45 pm »

well that's the problem with multiplayer games
It's not really a multiplayer game, though. Paradox may play it that way in their office, but most of the players don't.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: March 22, 2018, 05:08:40 pm »

It still boggles my group of friends (most of whom are actively playing at the moment) that *anyone* plays Stellaris multiplayer.

We tried several times to play CK2 multiplayer and it always desynced.  Regardless of who hosted, no mods involved.
Stellaris's gameplay is...  Well actually, I watched a friend play, and played on my laptop, and here's the thing:  It plays abominably slow at "fastest" without saying anything.  I'm literally talking like 5x, conservatively.

I haven't actually told said friend because they still enjoy the game, but just imagine that.  On fastest, each day takes more than a second...  And they think that's just how it is.

We tried over years and CK2 never synced right, so there's no reason for me to support trying a Stellaris multiplayer game with my friend group.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6232 on: March 22, 2018, 05:15:44 pm »

I guess it takes a certain kind of people to enjoy it? I've played a CK2 game from earliest start all the way to the end, twice now, in a multiplayer game with 2 others. Stellaris we play every few weekends now, continuing our previous games. We're a few hundred years into the most recent

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: March 22, 2018, 05:24:50 pm »

... Well actually, I watched a friend play, and played on my laptop, and here's the thing:  It plays abominably slow at "fastest" without saying anything.  I'm literally talking like 5x, conservatively.

I haven't actually told said friend because they still enjoy the game, but just imagine that.  On fastest, each day takes more than a second...  And they think that's just how it is.
You'd be surprised how quickly time flies when you're busy shouting profanities at your friends.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: March 22, 2018, 05:28:02 pm »

Time flies when you have a laptop to stay "connected" and are playing on your desktop~
Hence having hundreds of hours of CK2 and Stellaris, because Steam is fucking retarded enough to count obvious sleep-hours as playing time.
Works in their favor, so yeah.

We played CK2's After The End for a couple decades and loved it, it's just that it started dropping us after ~30 years.  Repeatedly.
We honestly can't figure out how anyone is able to play CK2 multiplayer for more than ~50 years without desyncs. 

In other words, it's just our situation.  Technical issues.
Stellaris has exceeded my (occasionally very obnoxious) expectations, and I'm glad to own it.
And I'm not particularly upset that my friends "own" it, since it's not like we could play multiplayer anyway.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6235 on: March 22, 2018, 06:24:14 pm »

Hmmm... Has anyone found out how to disable communications? The console command says the communication function allows for the enabling and disabling of communications, but everything I have tried has only allowed me to enable communications, but never disable.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: March 22, 2018, 06:38:02 pm »

Time flies when you have a laptop to stay "connected" and are playing on your desktop~
Hence having hundreds of hours of CK2 and Stellaris, because Steam is fucking retarded enough to count obvious sleep-hours as playing time.
Works in their favor, so yeah.

We played CK2's After The End for a couple decades and loved it, it's just that it started dropping us after ~30 years.  Repeatedly.
We honestly can't figure out how anyone is able to play CK2 multiplayer for more than ~50 years without desyncs. 

In other words, it's just our situation.  Technical issues.
Stellaris has exceeded my (occasionally very obnoxious) expectations, and I'm glad to own it.
And I'm not particularly upset that my friends "own" it, since it's not like we could play multiplayer anyway.

Stellaris multiplayer allows for re-syncing during an active game, you don't have to restart the game if you want to join a match, and hot-join is incorporated so everyone doesn't have to be there at the start, if I recall correctly.  Can't say too much about the first since I don't think I've ever had a desync after several hours of playtime in it.  There's a world of difference between CK2 and Stellaris multiplayer.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: March 22, 2018, 06:50:56 pm »

Alright, I'm not even surprised to hear that Stellaris MP works much better than CK2 MP.

But I have to emphasize how it ran so much slower for my friends, and even for me on my laptop for most of my playtime, than on my desktop.
And that they still love the game.  And unless they run across this thread, they have no idea.

It's actually a good call by the devs, probably.  It still plays almost as well as the one game I consider similar, Alpha Centauri.

Which has a terrible interface, but above and beyond for it's time.  And Stellaris has a mediocre interface, terrible for its time.  Decent I guess.
She/they

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: March 22, 2018, 07:30:09 pm »

CKII's multiplayer connectivity is by far the worst of this generation of Paradox grand strategy. EUIV's multiplayer is way better, and I'm sure Hearts of Iron and Stellaris are just as good.

And yes, depending on how old/what kind of PC you have, Paradox games run a lot slower, so most of the time I run speed 5 all the time. My primary gaming computer is a laptop, and it can run HoIIV, but its super slow, so its not really worth it. However, Stellaris is a lot better, but smaller galaxies and low settings are what I stick to. EUIV's game speed tends to vary, depending on whether they optimized the game in the last patch, and CKII has been the fastest for a while now.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: March 22, 2018, 07:40:15 pm »

Just finished my space dwarves game. First time I've ever actually bothered to win a full game of Stellaris. Usually I get bored and quit because the game goes so slow.

Can I just say...that is the lamest ending for a 4x game I've encountered?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 632