Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 428955 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Need overseers! Apply within!
« Reply #1320 on: October 21, 2016, 02:28:34 pm »

I'm interested on who is the heir to the empire Old Nets.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: October 21, 2016, 03:41:35 pm »

This is from Luneya's posted save so it may be incorrect.

The new King's name is Urvad Theatersinews, son of Sibrek Paintmatch. He's in Hallpondered, a Hillocks.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:48:35 pm by HMetal2001 »
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: October 21, 2016, 05:41:34 pm »

@HMetal: Either way, migrants might be necessary, though with further traps and more population might be able to manage with just visitors and children growing perhaps?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: October 21, 2016, 06:34:13 pm »

Granted, having more months to move things to 1 tile from depot only helps so much - it seems like if the goal outlined in OP would be even hauled to depot in a year there would need to be equivalent of auto-transport stone quarries, expect for food.
For the record, I would have loved to see Breadbowl become what you describe here. A well oiled food-production machine, with dozens of workshops and minecarts delivering ingredients to them and food/drink to the depot, would almost certainly have been able to meet and surpass the production goals I outlined in the OP.

But Breadbowl is a succession farm, emphasis on "succession". Efficiency was never likely to be our strong suit.

And hey, we might not have met our production quota's, but we told a damn fine story in the attempt. I'm extremely happy with how it all turned out, and that's why I'm okay to end it here. Or not: people seem to think we can yet make another go at it.

Sorry about repost, but I propose a third option:

C) Restart from Migrant's half-year save. And give Luneya the reins, as he (or his dwarf, rather) will have the nightmare of Ongul killing 63 dwarves. Then the order to barricade the unguarded bridge should be given.

Opinions?
We're not going to undo people turns, that would be unfair to the overseers.

Either way, migrants might be necessary, though with further traps and more population might be able to manage with just visitors and children growing perhaps?
The only thing that should prevent migrants from arriving is the deceased list.If we clear it, we should be able to rebuild our population in a year or two.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: October 21, 2016, 10:47:54 pm »

Anyway, I really don't have time to play my turn over right now, which seems to be the suggestion in the reset proposal. I'm content to go down in history as the overseer who managed to save (from FPS death) and destroy (by FB) Breadbowl all in the course of a single turn.

I'd love to see someone manage to bring the fort back from the latest round of disasters, even if it does take judicious use of dfhack. But if nobody wants to take on the job, then I guess we're done.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: October 22, 2016, 12:16:01 am »

So no alternate realities. Oh well. I can't really post the FB death report, as RL just got a little muddier.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: October 24, 2016, 11:06:02 am »

I propose a fourth option. Seeing how it is difficult to find an overseer perhaps we could allow someone to play indefinitely at their own pace until 2-3 other people want to have a turn and then let the fort continue as a succession game.

I agree completely with Quasar that retconing is bad.

I am not sure how I feel about clearing the deceased list. Would it be possible to attract migrants by creating enormous amounts of wealth instead?

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: October 24, 2016, 02:18:10 pm »

Sorry about suggesting the retcon/Voyager-style reset button.  :-[

By the way, how do we justify the dfhack usage in-universe?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: October 24, 2016, 03:18:52 pm »

With such tragic loss in life, alcohol dependency increased three-folds to the point the inebriation has become a threat to an absurd diagnosis called "alcohol poisoning."  The period drifted in a blur just as much as the memories of those who has long since passed remain nothing but a blur. 

Perhaps historians, bards, engravers, tale spinners will mention familiar names, but most likely those that survived will struggle to reconstruct their shattered memories into something clear as crystal glass.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: October 24, 2016, 04:36:07 pm »

We've already created and exported enormous amounts of wealth, considering how overvalued prepared meals are. Our migrant waves are down to an average of 2 dwarves a pop, and it's not going to improve by much. I suppose we could just spam the migrants-now cheat instead, but pruning the dead list is more practical. If there's a way to manually edit it rather than simply clearing the whole thing, I'd support keeping the important dwarves in place, and only forgetting about the many instances of deceased Urist McAverage.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: October 24, 2016, 05:21:33 pm »

Okay then. It seems like attempting to continue is our choice, but we will need overseers to keep Breadbowl alive. I will look at taking a year and hope that some people will volunteer for the subsequent ones. Some admin stuff before I start:

* I couldn't get it working in 42.04 and there doesn't seem to be an LNP for 42.06, so I'm looking at upgrading the save to 43.03, which I already have working. Opinions?

* Looks like someone's already cleared the deceased list for me. I expect to see migrants.

* I'll be doing another animal cull and rearranging the labours of the entire fortress to get the place cleaned up as much as possible before we move to a full production footing.

* I can see a lot of opportunities for FPS gain (walling off pathfinding traps, culling animals, etc), so I'll be doing what I can on that front.

* We only have a single giant hamster left. I will be training it for war. What could possibly go wrong?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: October 24, 2016, 05:24:03 pm »

We had no giant hamsters before my turn.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: October 24, 2016, 05:48:39 pm »

@QuQuasar: Has come up before. There sure have been LNPs for 42.06. I have downloaded two.

Just quick search in DF General gives
Unofficial MacNewbie pack update for 42.06
as well, though you probably run a diferent OS.

Upgrading the fort would risk some bugs - 43.03 has in particular helve branch interface crash - as well as deadlier fire, so it should probably be avoided.

@Migrant: afaik it's more like a hard cap, so no.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: October 24, 2016, 06:07:44 pm »

@QuQuasar: Has come up before. There sure have been LNPs for 42.06. I have downloaded two.

Just quick search in DF General gives
Unofficial MacNewbie pack update for 42.06
as well, though you probably run a diferent OS.
Linux and Mac, though. I use Windows.

The only starter packs I've been able to find are 40.24 and 43.03. The thread that says it's supposed to link to the 42.06 version actually links to 40.24.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: October 24, 2016, 06:41:29 pm »

Well, I don't have any windows versions. PE is pretty consistent about updating the link. Can someone else provide an upload, then? HMetal for instance?
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 105