Start from scratch for YG-lite
- 3 (9.1%)
Do both
- 5 (15.2%)
Do both
- 2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 241

Author Topic: Ye Gods 2 OOC [31/137] [Sign-ups go here]  (Read 232590 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods 2 OOC [31/137] [Sign-ups go here]
« Reply #3165 on: September 27, 2015, 02:29:40 pm »

((ARE YOU TRYING TO BOIL THE WORLD OUT OF EXISTENCE))
((No.  Are you not trying to do math?  One one-way portal.  A couple nanoseconds.  Even at extremely high temperatures, it's not going to boil the world.  Maybe fry a couple hundred feet of it.))
Sol has a surface gravity 28 times higher than that of Earth, and a 1000 times lesser surface atmospheric/photospheric pressure. Assuming similar figures for the in-game star and planet, it's more likely a two-way portal would transfer air from the planet to the star iand not vice versa. Because heat can only move through matter, the planet certainly wouldn't boil. (Though anyone nearby would probably be blinded and die of radiation poisoning, as electromagnetic energy (e.g. light or ionizing radiation) can move by itself.)

A one-way portal wouldn't be much either. A star's surface temperature is 'only' a few thousand degrees Kelvin, and air does not conduct heat too well. Still no boiled planet. Any gases from the star would also stop fusing, meaning they'd either become pretty inert or burn on contact with oxygen.

The radiation sends heat itself. That is why the Sun can heat up the planet even though they don't share an atmosphere  :-\. Light can transfer heat. And it does. Which is why sunlight makes things warm. Putting the sun right next to the planet for even seconds would cause massive burns.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #3166 on: September 27, 2015, 02:35:08 pm »

No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: September 27, 2015, 02:36:01 pm »

Putting the sun right next to the planet for even seconds would cause massive burns.
It still wouldn't instantly liquefy the planet. Sunlight doesn't warm that much, especially when the matter it's warming is being sucked back into the star. Everything in line of sight would be destroyed in seconds (not nanoseconds), I don't deny that, but at a planetary scale, that's really not much.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: September 27, 2015, 02:44:34 pm »

Putting the sun right next to the planet for even seconds would cause massive burns.
It still wouldn't instantly liquefy the planet. Sunlight doesn't warm that much, especially when the matter it's warming is being sucked back into the star. Everything in line of sight would be destroyed in seconds (not nanoseconds), I don't deny that, but at a planetary scale, that's really not much.

The light warms whatever it hits. It would actually warm more with the protective atmosphere out of the way. I'm not saying that it would realistically destroy the planet, but it would definitely not be a pleasant experience for the mortal beings near the opening. Or the ground near the opening, for that matter. That is why poor-atmosphere Mercury has a 465C temperature where the sun hits.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: September 27, 2015, 02:49:14 pm »

Let me just...Knock that down an order of magnitude...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: September 27, 2015, 02:51:54 pm »

The light warms whatever it hits. It would actually warm more with the protective atmosphere out of the way. I'm not saying that it would realistically destroy the planet, but it would definitely not be a pleasant experience for the mortal beings near the opening. Or the ground near the opening, for that matter. That is why poor-atmosphere Mercury has a 465C temperature where the sun hits.
I'm gonna have to stop you there. The reason Mercury is so damn hot is because it's so close to the sun, not due to lack of atmosphere.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 02:53:34 pm by Demonic Spoon »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: September 27, 2015, 02:52:02 pm »

The portal is only open for a few nanoseconds.

This is what happens if you teleport something to the sun's surface for a nanosecond.
Yeah, but he said the core of the sun.
So let me just...Yeah.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: September 27, 2015, 02:52:37 pm »

The article expounds on both surface and core. Which you'd know if you actually read it?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: September 27, 2015, 02:56:24 pm »

I'm gonna have to stop you there. The reason Mercury is so damn hot, is because it's so close to the sun, not due to lack of atmosphere.

Atmosphere acts to equalize the temperature over the planet. For example, if what you are saying is true, then the "dark" part of the planet wouldn't be -173C. Half the planet is heated by direct sunlight, making it scorching hot. The part that isn't is freezing cold. With an atmosphere, these would be equalized. If Earth was moved to Mercury's spot, it would still be as hot as heck, but would not be as hot as the hot side of Mercury.

The article expounds on both surface and core. Which you'd know if you actually read it?

He is saying that it would be the "Murder everything" part of the sun rather than the "You would actually be OK" part.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: September 27, 2015, 02:57:21 pm »

I did, in fact, read it.
So yeah.
He is saying that it would be the "Murder everything" part of the sun rather than the "You would actually be OK" part.
That.
Sigtext

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: September 27, 2015, 03:03:39 pm »

I'm not saying that it would realistically destroy the planet, but it would definitely not be a pleasant experience for the mortal beings near the opening.
My point exactly. For once, one of our debates ends up in agreement. I'd bet Hell's freezing over next Tick, too.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: September 27, 2015, 03:05:31 pm »

I wonder how the Lambdent would react to this. It would be a good opportunity to test the limits of the [fireproof] and [temperature] traits.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: September 27, 2015, 03:06:19 pm »

It's Lord Lemonpie, not gman.
Ah, so I'm not losing it.
Deeeeeeeerp

Sorry! I don't why I keep confusing you too. >.<
Price Check
 A Zhin to Normal translator 
$$$
A polite request

Also: Relevant to the current discussion Ah already linked I see.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: September 27, 2015, 03:10:11 pm »

$$$
Freezing Hell over.
Or: making a change to a plane without permission but through more mundane methods than flat-out modifying the creation itself.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: September 27, 2015, 03:10:51 pm »

I'm gonna have to stop you there. The reason Mercury is so damn hot, is because it's so close to the sun, not due to lack of atmosphere.

Atmosphere acts to equalize the temperature over the planet. For example, if what you are saying is true, then the "dark" part of the planet wouldn't be -173C. Half the planet is heated by direct sunlight, making it scorching hot. The part that isn't is freezing cold. With an atmosphere, these would be equalized. If Earth was moved to Mercury's spot, it would still be as hot as heck, but would not be as hot as the hot side of Mercury.
Mercurian days are also much longer than earth days, leaving more time for the sunside to get heated up and the cold side to cool down. I'm not confident enough of my astrophysics to make further assertions, but I'm pretty sure that plays a role.

I did, in fact, read it.
So yeah.
That.
Ah, I misunderstood.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:12:27 pm by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 241