Advanced search  

Poll

No
- 9 (37.5%)
Yes
- 15 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39

Author Topic: European Union thread  (Read 47141 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: European Union thread
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2015, 11:00:38 am »

Don't most farmers already purchase seed every year?

And I can't imagine any health consequences for humans from eating genetically modified crops, simply by virtue of their being genetically modified. It's like claiming that you shouldn't eat pork that came from Red Wattle pigs because the breed is fairly new and hasn't been scientifically proven to be safe for consumption.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2015, 11:06:45 am »

"We have to be careful about this and consider the consequences" is a bit different than "durr evulz".
As far as I know, the biggest danger involved in GM crops is that they all have the same genetical structure, which means that they can be all suddenly wiped out by a single parasitical organism or a disease, a la what happened to this variation of banana.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2015, 12:25:35 pm »

Don't most farmers already purchase seed every year?
In the case of things like potato, they just buy more potato since it's cheaper and more efficient than growing from seed. As for the topic of purchasing seed, depends. Due to propriety rights some farmers are not allowed to store or use seeds that have come off of plants they've just grown. Landraces (farmer bred seed) are still sown by a significant number of farmers across the world but they're understandably under a bit of pressure to adopt high yield crops which they will inevitably not be allowed to replant.

And I can't imagine any health consequences for humans from eating genetically modified crops, simply by virtue of their being genetically modified. It's like claiming that you shouldn't eat pork that came from Red Wattle pigs because the breed is fairly new and hasn't been scientifically proven to be safe for consumption.
It's like, but not exactly alike - conventional selective breeding still takes place and is tried and tested whilst messing with DNA is very fresh ground. There's room to make mistakes with our goat spiders and the like :P

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2015, 02:26:53 pm »

Goat spiders were an abject failure, that's for sure. Just secreting the silk protein from your goat titties is not enough, you gotta have them spinnerets, baby.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2015, 03:04:07 pm »

0/10 goat spider doesn't even catch flies

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2015, 06:41:57 pm »

This thread should be titled : Loud whispers Euro troll shitposting thread
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2015, 07:18:43 pm »

The thing is that seeds that you cannot replant make sense. Hybrid vigor is a thing, and by definition you cannot get it from seeds you replant.

TBH, I never really understand the argument against having to buy new seeds every years. It's not like a farmer can re-use fertilizer, or pesticide, or tractor fuel or any of the other inputs used on a modern farm.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2015, 07:21:56 pm »

I'm pretty sure all organic fertilizer is being reused.

(Pretty good shitpost, amirite?)
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2015, 07:23:35 pm »

TBH, I never really understand the argument against having to buy new seeds every years. It's not like a farmer can re-use fertilizer, or pesticide, or tractor fuel or any of the other inputs used on a modern farm.
And interestingly no-one ever gave a shit about non-replantable seeds until they became useful to construct an argument against GM plants...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2015, 07:24:01 pm »

Dude, I probably would have a scathing reply if I wasn't that drunk.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2015, 07:27:34 pm »

Huh? You must've misread, I'm with you on this one...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2015, 07:29:47 pm »

I was trying to answer mainiac.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2015, 07:31:38 pm »

And I can't really get the argument for it. Just because a lot of this stuff is single use, let's make this completely naturally reusable thing be single use too, because PROFITS!!
I know, let's charge the air and water each field uses each year too, because why not make that stuff single use too :V

Disclaimer, might be a drunken shitpost, not sure, too drunk to tell :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2015, 07:39:00 pm »

... they, uh. Do usually charge for a great deal of the water, jop. Most modern farms are hella' more water intensive than what the plot of land can naturally sustain.* Air, not so much. Usually. Some enclosed/exotic stuff, usually way outside their normal growing environment, does have a pricetag on the atmosphere maintenance.

*I mean, I guess you could argue that they're charging for transportation more than the water itself, but it roughly boils (aheh) down to the same thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2015, 07:47:29 pm »

Those aren't like seeds. They don't make more of themselves. Seeds do.

And interestingly no-one ever gave a shit about non-replantable seeds until they became useful to construct an argument against GM plants...

Or, you know, people have just become more aware of the circumstances because of gm crops. But I guess that won't make you feel as superior to others, so it's probably just people pretending to care for the sake of arguing against gm food.

Edit@Frumple: I'm fairly sure he means rain, not pipe water.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:49:40 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39