Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 164

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 198320 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1800 on: May 10, 2021, 04:26:36 pm »

Anyone have comments about Israel kicking Palestinians out of their homes, attacking them for protesting, then attacking a mosque because they didn't have protestors to attack anymore?

Not much to be said about it other than it being a continuation of Israel being shitty in how it deals with Palestine. We're talking about a country that shells residential areas for hours with artillery in response to half a dozen improvised man portable rockets knocking over some chimneys.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1801 on: May 11, 2021, 04:36:40 am »

Anyone have comments about Israel kicking Palestinians out of their homes, attacking them for protesting, then attacking a mosque because they didn't have protestors to attack anymore?
One of the Republican senators in the USA chucked a bill at the senate saying the USA ought to review all the money they send to Israel to make sure not a single dollar's being used to aid human rights abuses, but the news is sleeping on that. UK gov and shadowgov is sleeping on the Al Aqsa raid too, much to the chargrin of palestinian labour members

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: May 11, 2021, 04:45:41 pm »

Lots of missiles being lobbed back and forth in Israel right now. Messy situation.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: May 11, 2021, 11:03:32 pm »

Well, hopefully its not middle east 3.0...again...but palestine and israel have gone at it for so long. its almost like north korea and south korea at this point, except some action actually happens unlike north korea who is all words. but then everyone (palestine/israel) calms down and goes to timeout corner.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1804 on: May 12, 2021, 07:46:59 am »

Well, hopefully its not middle east 3.0...again...but palestine and israel have gone at it for so long. its almost like north korea and south korea at this point, except some action actually happens unlike north korea who is all words. but then everyone (palestine/israel) calms down and goes to timeout corner.
North Korea / South Korea possess some advantages though. Same people, clearly demarciated political border, two great powers supporting each side (China, USA), and neither side is trigger happy or deliberately targeting civilians for clearing

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: May 12, 2021, 07:54:57 am »

North Korea / South Korea possess some advantages though. Same people, clearly demarciated political border, two great powers supporting each side (China, USA), and neither side is trigger happy or deliberately targeting civilians for clearing

Yeah, in large part China keeps North Korea in check (which makes sense considering they'd be pulled into any war with north korea) and south korea is a lot less willing to start firing because bad words were used and is far less trigger happy than israel. I imagine even if a few pebbles were thrown on the other side, south korea would still not overreact.

Vastly more stable situation and no one is trigger happy.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: May 12, 2021, 08:58:47 am »

As far as benchmarks are concerned, that the technically still at war Koreas have a generally less terrible relationship with each other does not help much.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: May 12, 2021, 05:38:43 pm »

One of the Republican senators in the USA chucked a bill at the senate saying the USA ought to review all the money they send to Israel to make sure not a single dollar's being used to aid human rights abuses, but the news is sleeping on that. UK gov and shadowgov is sleeping on the Al Aqsa raid too, much to the chargrin of palestinian labour members

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1392559121396768775

Ah, they've got help from the UN security council. That's why they can get away with war crimes against civilians.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: May 12, 2021, 05:58:26 pm »

Ah, they've got help from the UN security council. That's why they can get away with war crimes against civilians.

No no, they gave them, like, 90 minutes to abandon their entire home life before they demolished an apartment complex because there was a Hamas office in there. No war crimes here.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: May 12, 2021, 11:49:14 pm »

No no, they gave them, like, 90 minutes to abandon their entire home life before they demolished an apartment complex because there was a Hamas office in there. No war crimes here.

As soon as any civilian facility is used for military purposes (in this case: de facto military headquarters of the enemy) it stops being a civilian target and becomes a valid military target.

So, yes, no war crimes here. Except for Hamas that uses civilians in a role a meatshield
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 11:51:12 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: May 13, 2021, 03:06:06 am »

Once when I was younger, before Alex Jones was well known, I made the terrible mistake of at least once quoting bullshit Alex Jones was spouting at the time about Israel and Zionism because I didn't know better and was an early adopter of getting news from poor internet sources until I learned better to try to pick reputable sources. I haven't re-read my post so I don't know how cringeworthy it was, when I skimmed across it later I was too horrified by seeing that I had ever quoted infowars. I apologize for being wrong because of crap like that. Alex Jones is a prick and made me one too in that instance for quoting him.

In my opinion though, both Hamas and Netanyahu tend to be very bad. Al Aqsa storming happens when a non-Netanyahu government is trying to be formed and he looks to be facing legal peril unless he can maintain power, and the right leaning parties settlement policies seem to be the other cause, though I admit I am ignorant of Israeli politics in general. I find Netanyahu repellent and I think he leads the country in the wrong direction, but I wish the best for Israel and the Palestinians both and hope they can put some leaders in power who will honestly try to work together.

I think that this issue is a part of why the UN Security Council so rarely is able to cooperate. IIRC it usually is the US alone blocking any sort of action.

You are right, I didn't see this on the news at all today.

One final thing to remember is this:

https://israelpalestinenews.org/iak-investigation-international-campaign-is-criminalizing-criticism-of-israel-as-antisemitism/
(following link appears to have a video embedded that I did not watch as well)
https://israelpalestinenews.org/israel-launches-internet-command-center-to-monitor-social-media/

(those links were the first I saw in the search, they appeared at a glance to be reasonable but I don't know anything about them and won't vouch for them other than I skimmed those articles to make sure they weren't blatantly an appalling source. It seems to possibly be a palestinian leaning news source from the headlines under their Home tab but I can't say for sure. Hopefully I didn't burn myself on a bad source of information again)

So keep in mind that posting what seems reasonable criticism of Israel's policies can at times be labelled anti-Semitic. I feel at times like this when Netanyahu stands to gain from causing mischief for his people, both Palestinian and Israeli, the flare ups tend to happen. However I am no expert on the matter.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 03:15:12 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: May 13, 2021, 08:36:32 am »

https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/middle-east-and-north-africa/israel-and-occupied-palestinian-territories/report-israel-and-occupied-palestinian-territories/

So keep in mind that posting what seems reasonable criticism of Israel's policies can at times be labelled anti-Semitic. I feel at times like this when Netanyahu stands to gain from causing mischief for his people, both Palestinian and Israeli, the flare ups tend to happen. However I am no expert on the matter.

Yeah, we've seen a lot of "if you don't support apartheid/genocide, you're anti-semitic" used against non-Israeli jews in the last year or two. Which is a good look when you're saying it to people who lost family members in the Holocaust.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: May 13, 2021, 02:37:39 pm »

Shit, now Lebanon has fired missiles at Israel.
Lebanese military intelligence agency has arrested and charged a Palestinian refugee for one of the attacks.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:39:53 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1813 on: May 14, 2021, 11:08:59 am »

It's looking like it's well on the way to getting well uglier by the day

Mobs lynching on live TV
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 164