Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300529 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1305 on: August 23, 2021, 07:42:10 am »

Only very tenuously. Hopefully it's good?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 23, 2021, 08:10:24 am »

Yeah, it looked like more of an action (instead of cRPG) version of Starcrawlers, with more crafting.

Edit: Also, is it supposed to take like 5 minutes to load?

Very odd, the main menu appears in a bit less than 50 seconds from the moment i double click on the game shortcut for me, and from there between 5 and 7 seconds when i press "Continue" to get into the actual game.

Have you tried to launch the game again since then ? maybe it's only the 1st launch that takes time (the game may cache some stuff ?)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 24, 2021, 04:47:55 am »

Only very tenuously. Hopefully it's good?

I hope so too. Probably going on my sale list though.
Love, scriver~

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 24, 2021, 07:21:20 am »

Psychonauts 2 got a 'Recommended' and a quite long review article in Eurogamer.  :D

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-08-20-psychonauts-2-review
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 24, 2021, 05:26:07 pm »

Yeah, it looked like more of an action (instead of cRPG) version of Starcrawlers, with more crafting.

Edit: Also, is it supposed to take like 5 minutes to load?

Very odd, the main menu appears in a bit less than 50 seconds from the moment i double click on the game shortcut for me, and from there between 5 and 7 seconds when i press "Continue" to get into the actual game.

Have you tried to launch the game again since then ? maybe it's only the 1st launch that takes time (the game may cache some stuff ?)

I've launched it twice. It took that long both times. It gets stuck at the pre-title splash page that tells you which idiots couldn't make a game that loads faster.

Edit: tried again, and it only took 4 minutes this time. I'm guessing it's related to Unity being trash.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 05:50:23 pm by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 25, 2021, 02:05:51 am »

Considering how the game is looking , there's no real reason the loading time should always be long.

From what i have read on googling around the 1st loading time when you play a new game should only be long because the game is generating all the areas.
But once that's done, further loading time should always be fast (well relatively, it's yet another game using Unity after all).

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 29, 2021, 04:21:43 pm »

Have you ever wondered: "What if KSP, but tanks?"

And it's pretty much that, design and play around with tanks, not much more than the designer itself at this point, but it's a work in progress by a single guy and it looks to be pretty decent fun for the asking price.

Also completely unrelated, been playing Snow Runner for past few days (grabbed it on sale last week iirc), and gotta say, it's pretty damn fun and relaxing, with bouts of frustration and tension when you get stuck somewhere bad and realize you'll have to retrace the whole route again. The hardcore mode looks super fun but also super terrifying because you go from only losing a bit of time if you mess up to potentially losing the game as you run out of cash that's required for running pretty much anything.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 31, 2021, 04:23:31 pm »

I thought the Escape Velocity/Naev-like Endless Sky wasn't developped anymore, but i noticed there has been a development revival at some point
https://endless-sky.github.io/

You have stable releases, the latest is from june :
https://github.com/endless-sky/endless-sky/releases/latest

And continuous releases being daily (or as soon as there's a new commit i guess) , latest being from today :
https://github.com/endless-sky/endless-sky/releases/tag/continuous

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: August 31, 2021, 04:50:55 pm »

Endless Sky looks cool, though that may be an itch already scratched for me by Starsector. Do you know how similar those are in practice?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 31, 2021, 05:57:13 pm »

I have never played Starsector, but if you ever played either Naev or Escape Velocity, they're very similar to Endless Sky, space trading, missions, ship battles, upgrades, fleets, going into sectors  etc...
There was a thread about it some years ago :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155927
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 06:01:23 pm by Robsoie »

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: August 31, 2021, 08:19:52 pm »

I (or someone else) might have talked about it in this thread before, but Bad North is a pretty neat game. Basically it’s about defending islands, each with their own procedurally-generated layout, from waves of invaders, who are supposed to be vikings, I think. You go from island to island, with your group of squads, which increases in size and gets better equipped with the money you get from each island.

It’s primarily a strategy game, which shows itself in two ways — how you control the squads on the island you’re on, defending against the waves of enemies, and the squads you choose to send to each island against the enemies you know will attack you there, keeping in mind the layout and the strength of each squad etc., and the fact that you have to complete a certain number of islands every turn, or you’ll get swallowed up by the Tide, and lose.

It’s a very replayable game, thanks to the randomness, and the new options for starting squads you get after playthroughs where you do certain things.

You get three kinds of units, spearmen, archers and swordsmen, whereas the enemy have a whole lot more — infantry and archers and swordsmen and berserkers and giants and axe-throwers and last, but certainly not least, the dreaded crossbow giants. Each unit has their own counters, for both sides.

The biggest problem with this game is this: whether you win the game or not will heavily depend on the layout of the last island, and primarily whether you have adequate cover from the crossbow giants, who are just ridiculously strong. They can’t be attacked by your swordsmen without losing half your squad on the way there, and the other half while fighting them, and spearman can’t hold corners against them because they round the corner, and then just stand there just out of their reach and shoot them to death. I’ve only won the game once, and I was incredibly lucky on my last fight.

It’s a good game, and pretty darn cheap too.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 01, 2021, 03:59:17 am »

Ran into something that could certainly be usefull to other people.
when the train sim "Train Sim World 2" became a freebie on the epic store, i tried it.

And i noticed the game crashed during his initial loading easily 90% of the time i tried to launch it, why it worked without problems the other 10% is a mystery to me. As i don't have/use the epic launcher (Legendary for the win) it's not some launcher dodgy coding conflicting with things.
The crash was an unrealengine4 crash (as that train sim use UE4 as its engine), with some mention of "D3D device being lost" in the UE4 error log.

Googling around it looked like it's uncommon and with some version of the UE4 it happens more than with other.
Apparently the problem is that during the UE4 attempt to synchronize with your graphic card driver, somehow UE4 manages to crash your driver (probably related to some graphic cards not being the latest ones on the market that UE4 loves). Then when your driver crashes, window 10 recovers it and things should continue to work.
But UE4 does not seem to take that recovery in account and decide to crash itself. 

But on my googling i found a solution that is not the classic "reinstall your game, reinstall your driver, get newer driver even if nothing of this will solve the problem", it's a simple registry key "TdrDelay" that is described in this page :
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/tdr-registry-keys

Of course if you don't have any UE4-powered game or if you never see that UE4 engine crash when playing your games that use that engine, you don't need to do that (especially if none of your other games are crashing)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 01, 2021, 01:09:21 pm »

i didn't feel like necro'ing, but No Man's Sky got another update today: FRONTIERS and it comes with the ability to create settlements.

there's now very little you can't do in NMS. the only thing we don't have is npc followers to assist with combat but then this isn't that type of game. and to think i bought NMS after the tragedy of it's release when it was super cheap and now its the game that keeps on giving.

another game that's caught my eye that may not be a thread of its own is something called SpaceBourne

https://store.steampowered.com/app/732240/SpaceBourne/

it's... well, it's a game quite similar to NMS and Star Citizen and other "all inclusive" (by that i mean it has more than the standard combat-trade-explore loop). i only just bought it but its very much a passion project and so far at 15 bucks its got much potential.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 01, 2021, 04:07:59 pm »

What's the difference between these new settlements and the bases that NMS players have been able to create for some time?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 01, 2021, 05:03:40 pm »

Been playing Endless Sky for a while, completed what is basically the tutorial (you transport a guy on his retirement tour, learning how to transport cargo and etc..) and started to try to make money from transport missions (i took as a starter ship the cargo one).

Making money is very slow in the beginning because your starting ship was expensive and you had no money, meaning you owe the banks a -very- (when you begin to play) lot of money, basically each sector you jump to, you need to pay between 2000 and 3000 credits in mortage (you can repay regularly the bank to lower the mortgage).

So if you have to travel 10 sectors to make a cargo run, you're already losing between 20000 and 30000 credits ! so make absolutely sure to only make cargo run that pay a lot, do not bother with anything that do not pay very well as you have some chance it's a complete waste with all the money you owe the banks.
Accept several missions in the same areas, so you can maximise your cargo run by filling them.

Beware with missions in sectors in which you have not yet discovered the route, it's very possible you think you're going to the correct direction and run in a dead end sector, meaning you have to come back and choose another direction in the hope to reach the unknown sector, with the mortgage every sector you're going to lose an horrible amount of credits.

For simple trading, the map is really well done, you can see how much can get from each sectors with specific items, so you can make easily some cargo run without taking a mission

Oh and avoid completely accepting dodgy transportation when asked by some people in a starport, in the beginning you're going to have your ship very regularly scanned and if they scan you transporting anything or anyone illegal, you're going to be fined, it will add even more money lost every 2 sectors jump.

edit : some usefull guide : https://indiefaq.com/guides/337-endless-sky.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 05:30:55 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 168