Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300483 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1350 on: September 09, 2021, 02:10:14 am »

I still don't get why newer versions of Windows doesn't come with games.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 09, 2021, 03:28:56 am »

Looks like for all the extras they want you to use their "microsoft store", especially with all their "remake" of the old free apps that are now filled with ads .
But as dragdeler mentionned those old win 95/98/ME/XP games works very nicely on modern OS (at least they all work great on my window 10).

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 09, 2021, 08:32:21 am »

What do you mean the game section in the quickmenu on w10 has all the essential features, and the appstore is allmost as adridden as on android. Great times to play solitaire.
let

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 09, 2021, 04:00:34 pm »

The epic freebie "Nioh" looks rather nice from the few i tried, NotGeralt (yeah, that's definitively NotGeralt in that game) is stuck in a Tower of London rather nicely gothic dungeon, guarded by english guards that armor is very oddly shaped (it reminds me more of chinese design than english one), only repainted with old english symbols and colour.

Out of that strange design choice, it's fun so far.

After my NotGeralt was killed by the first enemy 2 times on a row (i really needed to rebind all the commands, they're all over the place if you're on mouse/keyboard, and the game being a console port does not help as the indicators only mention controller/joypads buttons on its hints) finally acquired a bastard sword from the corpse of the first guard.
It made a huge difference from the punching and kicking i did before, bastardswordmurdered a few more guards (a couple had some long spears), a crossbow guy, felt unstoppable by then getting more piece of armors (probably going to die a lot from the first boss as usual :D )

Now for the bad, while it's true i don't have a very good computer, the game was running badly even on the lower setting.

I learned why on a youtube video , it's because the difference between highest and lowest resolution scale is actually very small and barely make an actual difference (unlike other game that let you set it better) as the game was looking nearly as awesome in highest and lowest.

As the video point to, there is a tool named "Nioh Resolution" that allow to lower/increase the resolution scale to whatever you want to get it very smooth on lower end system, but unfortunately this newest patch (they patched Nioh today to benefit from whatever comes with the epic store, and a couple of bugfixes) is not compatible (yet hopefully it will be soon) with it.

Anyways, when (if) it will be updated, and you want to enjoy the game despite your not-so-good system, you'll probably need it :
https://github.com/LennardF1989/NiohResolution

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: September 09, 2021, 05:56:17 pm »

Probably because Windows ended up becoming a legitimate corporate and government-utilized OS and that sort of thing wasn't kosher to push by default anymore for the big money audiences.

Stuff like the Hall of Tortured Souls was snuck in - this had potential to be a major backdoor. Now you have to go out of your way to nab games, assuming your company's group policies and other restrictions allow it.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 10, 2021, 08:16:04 pm »

I beat Void Bastards on Easy. The difference in the difficulty seems to be that you gain twice as much food for healing, and 10x as much ammo as on normal. Once you get the ammo-scrounging items, you never run out. There needs to be a difficulty between normal and easy, but there's also a bit of a negative difficulty curve going on in the game.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 11, 2021, 06:16:49 am »

Kind of funny that roguelikes evolved from very hard games which you can only beat my mastering them into games which start off artificially difficult and then get easier.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 11, 2021, 09:18:00 am »

Kind of funny that roguelikes evolved from very hard games which you can only beat my mastering them into games which start off artificially difficult and then get easier.

I don't think Void Bastards is a roguelike, if that's what you're referring to. Some random generation, but that's the only similarity.

Also, I remembered how I felt about the game itself: Fairly interesting, but flawed. I mentioned the difficulty level being too extreme. The oxygen timer for looting each ship (modified by items you might have made, and also possibly longer or shorter as a random ship modifier) exists but the ships are small and fairly linear, which prevents you from doing anything interesting to increase the amount of time you spend. There's also no good way of determining what the weapons do by their names (except the devices in the third slot), and I never found an in-game description of them. I took the toaster onto a ship with a lot of the swarm enemies, because a flamethrower seems like the sort of thing that would help with them. It's a charge to fire railgun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 11, 2021, 11:19:18 am »

I haven't actually played it or read much about it, so the only evidence I need to defend my choice to call it a roguelike is a screenshot of an article I read

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 11, 2021, 12:12:59 pm »

Usually, all those games like Void Bastards that contains some roguelike elements are called roguelite.
You may think there's no need to have a different genre name and call every of them "roguelike", but then you may not have seen roguelike-only boards with  "Berlin Interpretation" zealots reacting with fury.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 11, 2021, 01:47:50 pm »

Making any kind of zealot mad is just one basic goal of communication.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: September 11, 2021, 01:58:08 pm »

Usually, all those games like Void Bastards that contains some roguelike elements are called roguelite.
You may think there's no need to have a different genre name and call every of them "roguelike", but then you may not have seen roguelike-only boards with  "Berlin Interpretation" zealots reacting with fury.
Seen, yes, but the proper roguelike community reaction to genre purist nonsense is ignoring or laughing at them. If folks are calling this VB thing a roguelike with any regularity, that's good enough for hobbyist* work :P

*Or at least me, and there was a point I had sunk a hour or two into literally every english (and some that weren't) roguelike playable on windows (though that was over a decade ago and there were much, much fewer of them), so close enough!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: September 12, 2021, 08:31:25 am »

About the Nioh freebie from this week epic store.
NiohResolution has been updated to the recent latest patch , it's compatible with both the steam and epic ones
https://github.com/LennardF1989/NiohResolution/releases/latest

It can help you to setup your own resolution, or increase/decrease the rendering scale (allowing you to upscale or downscale the game more than it allows you by default).
If you're on a potato and have troubles running Nioh with the very limited settings you can change in the video options, the rendering scale can help enormously.

An example, in NiohResolution patch the Nioh.exe with width/length to  1270 x 780 , change the resolution scale to something like 0.3  (and say No to the last question about ratio, as with 1270x780 being a 16/9 resolution, the game will have no ration problem).
Then in the Nioh launcher, make sure to set the resolution to 1920x1080 (as it's the resolution that will be patched by your choice) and the to "High" (as it's what the resolution scale you choose will patch).
Enjoy the much more playable Nioh, of course its more pixelly but at least it's not slow motion but with bad console port that's the best you can hope if you don't have a strong system to make up for the game code lack of optimisation.
Custcene will still be crap and hilariously laggy/stuttering for no reason, so skip them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 08:33:20 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: September 14, 2021, 03:50:50 am »

Nioh may be unfortunately a bad console port with performance issues if you don't have a good computer ( check the NiohResolution patch rendering scale option to help in that case) but it's a very good and annoyingly addictive game.

And similarly to all those soul like, it's hard but it feels like Nioh is actually harder than the other games in its genre as there's lot of location in which you're ambushed by surprise and end with lots of enemies around , etc.
Basically you're dying a -very- lot (fortunately thanks to the shrine system you don't lose loot/items/progress, and even have a chance to get back to your corpse to take back the XP you hadn't yet spent).
So by not giving up, you'll eventually manage to overcome ridiculously impossible odds by having leveled up a lot and found better and better stuff and gained lot of bonus to improve your various stats, understand that Nioh rewards grinding.

The prologue had some amazing gothic oppressive atmosphere, unfortunately most of the game features are locked, so in the prologue there's then no need to gring because there's no point of trying because you can't even level up in that prologue, basically you're just trying to reach the boss and kill its 2 forms in order to clear it and move to the actual game (prologue is hard, it's Nioh after all).

Then you move to Japan for some reason and start to notice on cutscene that your NotGeralt character not having his beard anymore has a pointy jaw bigger than Jay Leno's , and while it's "to each his own" , i find the environment unfortunately lost completely the gothic oppressive atmosphere for some countryside one.

Anyways, the game is still good despite it run like crap for me (amazing how it can lag much more in a closed prison cell with 1 guard in Nioh than in any open world game with lots of structure and AI around) , despite it has difficult mouse&keyboard controls (especially as being a bad console port all the hints ingame are ignoring the keys you have bound and are using and will only display the important gameplay reminders/hints about xbox/ps controller buttons) .
And so addictive than despite the negatives i still play it :/

Then i finally managed, after hundred of deaths, to reach the boss of the 1st Japan mission, the guy that is in the burning boat near the burning village.

And oh boy, that ugly whatshisname big demon throwing his steel balls (no pun intended) killed my character a lot, until i finally managed to kill that thing, basically i learned to only use medium stance (because it had much better dodge roll than higher stance , and do more damage than low stance) and keep my superweaponguardianspiritmagicthingy only when the boss is roughly at half life (so the super stuff does not run out before i killed that monster) as if i run out before i usually make something stupid and get destroyed.

It also helps to get enough ninjutsu and magic to learn the weakness amulet (that you can throw to the boss to lower his armor) and the power pills (that increase your damage), temporary help but good enough to get the boss at half health a lot quicker than without those items.

Oh and despite full heavy armor feels attractive due to protection stat (though you die a lot anyways in Nioh) , i also learned that you need all the stamina you can to hit a few times then roll out of threat range, so do not wear anything that will get your weight to 70% or more as you move into another agility tier and will then start to eat tons of ki for any simple attack and dodge, leaving you open for retaliation a lot (and ki regenerate slower the more weight you have).

Destroying that big ugly felt like an achievement in life :D

After that more of the game feature finally unlock (world map, dojo and etc..)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 17, 2021, 06:00:59 pm »

Timerborn
It's basically Dwarf Fortress with beavers.

Just lost my first colony in the first drought. The water storage I threw together at the last minute barely kept my beavers hydrated, but my food stockpiles didn't hold out. Learned a lot though, and already looking forward to the next one.

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 168