Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 298823 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1695 on: May 24, 2022, 08:40:27 pm »

It's with the robot ( Fl4k is the name ) that i completed the game campaign, what pushed me immediately to select this one is that it could have summons fighting with him (my pet of choice, the horned skag was surprisingly extremely good at every fights, bosses included) , something i always like in videogames.

I wish they had focused on a better writing for the storyline, building up the important characters so you actually care about them (caped speedo is their best written character if it can say something about how bad the other are)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:47:16 pm by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: May 24, 2022, 09:02:54 pm »

I don't even remember what the story of BL3 was, and that was the last one I finished. Mostly, I remember being annoyed at Rhys and enjoying Brick, Malachai, and Tina bouncing off of each other like the insane idiots they are. (Well, two of them are.)

Mixed feelings on Wonderlands so far, unfortunately. The humor just feels a bit too tabletop parody, and I'm rather enjoying the robot character that acts as the straight man.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: May 24, 2022, 09:35:40 pm »

I often read people having been disapointed by Wonderlands, especially after how good Assault on Dragon's Keep was.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: May 25, 2022, 03:20:37 am »

I've generally enjoyed Wonderlands.

I feel the need to point out that literally more than half of the characters in the game are in same-sex relationships and very vocal about it. Sometimes it's worked in casually so it feels natural; but often it just feels like blatant pandering.

The quests honestly run the full spectrum. Some are absolutely hilarious. Some are epic in scale and impact. Some are tedious snore-fests that I just kept wanting to end.

I really appreciate weapon and class balance. Compared to BL3, where at launch some weapons and classes felt utterly useless and others simply wiped out every enemy in sight instantly, prompting multiple waves of massive balance overhauls in the months that followed. Wonderlands has also had some balance patches, but from day 1 I generally felt that no weapons were particularly OP or UP.

I also really like the endgame. They've done away with the 'New Game+' that has been in every past Borderlands, forcing players to go through the entire story multiple times in order to progress. Now the endgame is a simple treadmill, completing trials within a short series of semi-randomized dungeons for a burst of loot and the option to crank up the difficulty a little bit more, gradually unlocking higher tiers of equipment. There's enough gimmicks within the dungeon to keep it feeling varied and exciting, but they can also be a bit overwhelming at times.

The one big disappointment to me is the continued lack of any sort of anti-cheat for online play. Joining random people online will more often than not pair me up with someone whose hacked gun trivializes all content, and then they spew copies of their hacked gear all over the ground, trying to get me to join in. Not what I signed up for.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: May 25, 2022, 09:16:57 am »

The political and sjw elements from Gearbox are so ham-fisted and so obviously pandering that they're ending into being more like a joke than the "all inclusive" statement they believe they did with their games. That's certainly not helped by the horribly bad writing and idiotic characterisations that destroy whatever message was supposedly intended.

They're really lucky the games gameplay is top notch. 

Borderlands 3 post endgame content seems to be linked to that new "Mayhem" feature that is unlocked at that point, it apparently allow you to increase enemies difficulty, XP and rewards with a gauge without having to start a new game from scratch in a higher difficulty setting.
Not that bad of an idea , so you can continue to grind without having to suffer that very bad story and dialogues all over again, as the loot is also improved.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: May 25, 2022, 09:34:14 am »

That's not fair!  Some of the pandering is subtle, like FL4K :P
(FL4K falls into the ironic trope of non-binary robot, most notably being referred to with they/them in the skills tree.  It's very easy to miss unless you're looking for it because FL4K's voice is charmingly masculine (which is BETTER than an inhuman robo-voice).  It's a rare bit of representation that unironically got my interest.  Eyeroll for the NB representation being yet another robot, but kudos for actually making them sound and act like any other person.  also I like robots, and I guess the game is pretty queer-friendly otherwise, so yay)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: May 25, 2022, 10:20:04 am »

FL4K is actually well done, because as you mention it's subtle and not the focus or what mostly define the character so the game does not spend all its time telling you that FL4K is sexually this or that, unlike half of the character that are nearly only defined by their sexuality/gender/whatever.

Had they done their characters with this kind of subtlety i'm sure it would sure have resulted into a much better storytelling without you wanting to face palming most of the time.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: May 26, 2022, 01:26:56 pm »

Hooded Horse signed a deal to publish Against The Storm. I didn't see an ATS thread so I figured it might fit here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: May 26, 2022, 04:44:58 pm »

That's not fair!  Some of the pandering is subtle, like FL4K :P
(FL4K falls into the ironic trope of non-binary robot, most notably being referred to with they/them in the skills tree.  It's very easy to miss unless you're looking for it because FL4K's voice is charmingly masculine (which is BETTER than an inhuman robo-voice).  It's a rare bit of representation that unironically got my interest.  Eyeroll for the NB representation being yet another robot, but kudos for actually making them sound and act like any other person.  also I like robots, and I guess the game is pretty queer-friendly otherwise, so yay)

The VA for FL4K is SongWon Cho. Semi-famous youtuber and VA. His youtube channel has some good content on it. Not surprised FL4K is so likeable. SongWon brings a lot to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SungWon_Cho
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: May 26, 2022, 04:57:14 pm »

I had never heard about this voice actor, so googled a bit and after checking his voice reel i'm impressed by how many different voices that man has :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0SZV-u0Hjg
No wonder they hired him, the guy is really good at it, i'm sure he could do a whole cast of characters all by himself.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: May 27, 2022, 08:36:51 am »

His youtube (mostly ten second vines/tiktoks) is always a nice place to browse for a bit when you need a good chuckle.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: May 27, 2022, 01:18:28 pm »

Rage

As in the game by iD.

I first played it in 2016.  It started off very promising, but had a terrible late game and a plot that doesn't really go anywhere.  I finished a second playthrough on a harder difficulty a day or two ago.  My opinion is about the same.

But this time I played through the game with the DLC pack.  It's a modest amount of content for a modest price.  Not great, not bad either.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: May 27, 2022, 01:57:45 pm »

His youtube (mostly ten second vines/tiktoks) is always a nice place to browse for a bit when you need a good chuckle.

Honestly I love his "Let's try...." series of videos the most. Watching him eat every version of a product is so weirdly cathartic for me. Even taught me somethings, like there's something out there for Ramen better than garbage ass Maruchan.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: May 27, 2022, 05:26:13 pm »

Bioshock is still good visually but some parts of it aged badly.

After the initial start in which everything is very well designed and rather immersive with the early locations very interesting, after a short while there are many places that seem to just become "generic corridor/room shooter FPS" and break the feeling of being in that giant underwater city.
Things then start to feel like the area could just be some random base somewhere.

The gameplay also got old, the arcade style running speed feels really end of the nineties' FPS , the lack of stealth mechanics probably do not help , along with the encounters not feeling natural (as things spawn in already cleared area when you reach a certain distance from them, sometime you even know enemies will spawn there due to how said room is designed as you know you'll have to come in that room again).

Too bad the ravage of time didn't spared Bioshock gameplay and design (once you get out of the very well designed beginning areas), the nice world building with all those dialogues/tapes you find and some of its universe interesting quirks (the plasmid that help to avoid "the only solution is to run&gun all the time", the big daddy/little sister dynamics) added something.

That without mentionning the tons of crashes that were never fixed. Fortunately you can lower, a lot the amount of crashes by disabling reverb, and setting many options in the Bioshock.ini file according to many websites suggestions, but you'll still crash from time to time for no obvious reason (by example got a crash just bringing the map despite i have been using said map several time prior it)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: May 27, 2022, 06:16:35 pm »

I find that Bioshock 2 has better combat than 1.  In 1 you can smack everything with the wrench and that'll get you through Hard mode.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 168