Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300485 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2355 on: August 11, 2023, 03:51:57 pm »

Honestly my favourite bit of the whole Cataclysm saga was that nutty guy that kept coming in to threads for like... a year and trying to get everyone to play his fork while simultaneously saying that it had malware and tantruming when people told him to fuck off.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: August 12, 2023, 04:09:49 am »

Honestly my favourite bit of the whole Cataclysm saga was that nutty guy that kept coming in to threads for like... a year and trying to get everyone to play his fork while simultaneously saying that it had malware and tantruming when people told him to fuck off.
I remember that whole thing and it was pretty funny, if I remember right that whole thing spread from the CDDA forums to here.

I think his name was crazycat and then later he ether changed it or came back as diver man.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: August 15, 2023, 05:54:18 am »

Manic Miner, the free remake (on the unreal engine) of the Lego Rock Raider from 1999 has reached version 1.0 , considered now a full game.
https://baraklava.itch.io/manic-miners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mQacGNeNVA

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: August 15, 2023, 09:34:06 pm »

Manic Miner, the free remake (on the unreal engine) of the Lego Rock Raider from 1999 has reached version 1.0 , considered now a full game.
https://baraklava.itch.io/manic-miners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mQacGNeNVA

That's pretty rad, but I didn't play this one originally. Is there a Lego Island remake yet???

EDIT: The wiki page I linked mentions a fan-made sequel. Hmm.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: August 16, 2023, 03:50:46 am »

MattKC started decompiling lego island so there is hope.
let

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: August 18, 2023, 07:24:12 pm »

I've been replaying Witcher 1 with some bugfix package ( https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/941 )
Currently reaching the end of Chapter 1 and was reminded how there's no real right choice there , as at that point the story is trying a replay on the theme used in "The Lesser Evil " chapter from "The Last Wish" Witcher book.

Though with much less competent writing as unfortunately the game cartoonishly pile up the evil deeds on one side (the villagers) very noticably more than the other (Abigail) in many ways.

Since i switched to the camera to F2 (the low isometric view) i found that i appreciated the game more than before (my first completed playthrough was with the default 3rd person camera view but it often felt wrong to me), i guess it shows that the 3rd person was somehow more of a hack rather than the game built around that view.
After all the game was built on the engine from Neverwinter Night that played better from an isometric view anyways.

I wonder how the currently in development remake of Witcher 1 will play, are they going to keep those annoying controls or move toward the TW2/TW3 more natural 3rd person controls..

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: August 19, 2023, 04:26:23 pm »

Wayfinder, from the same publisher as Warframe, with gameplay that is commonly described as 'Fantasy Warframe'.

Wayfinder got bumped by Warframe during a few of their livestreams. I suspect they may have underestimated the value of this publicity, because Wayfinder launched into Early Access 3 days ago and was immediately overwhelmed, with the devs saying they are getting more login attempts every minute than what they were expecting in a day. As a result we have 5-hour queue times, with players then getting disconnected within minutes from the poor overloaded servers and subsequently being returned to the back of the queue.

I've been watching the official Discord, where they had to institute a 1 minute slow-mode, which quickly got increased to 5 minutes, and then 10 minutes. Even with each person only able to post 1 message every 10 minutes, the chat is still scrolling faster than anyone could possibly read, and has been going at this rate day and night for the last 3 days. Of course much of this is doomsayers, asserting that such a miserable launch will inevitably kill any prospect of success Wayfinder may have had. But even if only a small fraction of these overwhelming numbers actually stick around to play the game once it's fixed, that will still be wildly more success than most games could ever dream of achieving.

Edit:
Queue times are still high, but they've implemented hotfixes to greatly improve stability for players who do make it into the game, allowing them to stay in and actually play.
I was able to get in 3~ hours last night and actually had a lot of fun. I found a couple of overworld pop-up events where I could spontaneously join with other nearby players to fight waves of enemies and bosses for shiny loot drops. I also ran about a dozen dungeons, which are procedurally generated from a limited number of set pieces, so not a ton of variety but just enough to keep things a bit interesting. There are a lot of options for customizing my hero, including various combat abilities, weapon types, and equipment sets. Various types of enemies which require different strategies to fight, and bosses with more complex routines to learn.

I don't yet know exactly how the late-game will play out, but I am now at least confident that this game will end up being well worth the purchase price.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 06:33:22 pm by Folly »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: August 25, 2023, 06:08:07 pm »

Holocure, a vampire survivors clone, received an update a few days ago.

I've just started, won a single match, and unlocked the house. The house is a bunch of games you can play to earn money, and also a sink for money.

So far I've managed to buy 8 soil and 8 seeds for 2400 coins, and can sell for over 800 coins.

The fishing minigame is easier. It's a rhythm game where you need to hit the button when the arrow is...somewhere? Also, there's a dot instead of an arrow sometimes, which may correspond to a key or be an auto-lose? I can't find instructions in-game or online. The best I can find (After 5 website claiming to explain how to play the minigame) is that a higher combo is good, which anyone who has ever played any game ever before knows. What's the target? What key do I hit? 'Hey, do good, it's better than not doing good.'

Edit: After 2-3 hours of trying, I learned that you're supposed to hit the Z key for circle, somewhere near the end of the line. There's a circle, but hitting inside it isn't always correct. So now I'm up to "hit the arrow keys or the Z key, when the symbol is in or near the circle somewhere, but I'm not sure where." Would it have been easier for the people who know what the goal is to write instructions at all instead of every player doing a trial-and-error thing for hours? OFC. Does that affect the way they do things. Hahahahaha. No.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 08:24:25 pm by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: August 30, 2023, 10:32:16 am »

I've been impressed recently on how the incoming new version of Brutal Doom got such performance boost.
most Doom mods always had some performance problems when played with a "slaughtermap" due to the huge amount of entities and effects and unfortunately Brutal Doom was no exception.
But looking on a dev diary video a comparison between current Brutal Doom (v21) and the next one showcase how big the optimisation is getting
https://youtu.be/VnM56bo82Q8?t=13

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: August 30, 2023, 07:40:15 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu8PZUkQM7E

AIKODE trailer recently released. An upcoming game about an android girl in a skimpy dress with atypical eye issues and a floating robot companion, fighting machines in an endless cycle of epic tragedy, all set within the ruins of overgrown cityscapes depicted through a heavy saturation/contrast filter.

Seriously, how is this not getting sued by Drakengard/Nier?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: August 31, 2023, 01:24:40 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu8PZUkQM7E

AIKODE trailer recently released. An upcoming game about an android girl in a skimpy dress with atypical eye issues and a floating robot companion, fighting machines in an endless cycle of epic tragedy, all set within the ruins of overgrown cityscapes depicted through a heavy saturation/contrast filter.

Seriously, how is this not getting sued by Drakengard/Nier?

The Japanese company (Square/Enix) that owns Drakengard/Nier makes a large amount of their money off merchandising along with their games, so maybe a knockoff would actually bring them more fans.  They can steal the best elements for their own games, and make sure it gets trashed in the reviews so it doesn't overtake the original.

The American/British model of "Only I Can Own" isn't how everyone works.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: September 02, 2023, 03:55:31 am »

The Matchless Kungfu recently entered Early Access on Steam. I've only put a few hours in, but so far I absolutely love it.

Combat is essentially a turn-based game of Paper-Rock-Scissors, with enough elaborate layers piled on so that it requires some tactical thought behind each move. After you choose your actions you get to watch them play out in a very stylish series of kungfu exchanges.

Beyond the combat however, TMK is a very open-ended sandbox with lots of options for interacting with every NPC and object of the game. Build a base, make friends and enemies, train martial arts skills, and explore a world that you help build.

The machine translation is a bit rough, but serviceable; better translation is in the pipeline. A few of the features are still incomplete, but all of the essential stuff is there. Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase so far.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: September 02, 2023, 08:31:01 am »

Checking some gameplay vids of that, basically first actual combat whoever was playing it kicked a monkey in the balls and then beat it to death jojo style.

That's pretty amazing, yup.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: September 02, 2023, 01:09:41 pm »

I learned that the famous WWF Legends mod for the Project64 emulator got a new major release a few days ago :

https://wwflegends64.wixsite.com/wwflegends/downloads

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: September 02, 2023, 09:14:08 pm »

I gave Fire Emblem Fates a chance, specifically Conquest (the game was sold as 3 versions, each a different route of roughly the same story). I didn't like Awakening because of the writing, and found the characters insufferable. At the beginning of Fates, I had a bit of the same, especially when I chose the Birthright path. When I swapped to Conquest, it hit a so bad it's good level and I'm loving it. The characters all suck and ir's great.

I'm going to go back and play the SNES ones if they don't have remakes (or fan remakes) when I'm done here. The core mechanics are fine but they hit a perfect balance for me on the GBA.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 168