Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 54

Author Topic: Misson 26: You Monster  (Read 88781 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Misson 26: House Hunting
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2015, 09:16:24 pm »

((Yeah, let's say Skylar was stasised.  Kri can join if kre wants, but there's no reason to give free mission experience if kre's AWOL.

Also, I'm not sending anything across until we agree to do so.  Partially because Ozark is basically the mission lead, partially because when things go wrong it's good not to be the guy who pressed the button.))

Quote from:  Admin Steve Saint to: Operative Vincent Klart cc: BLOPS lead Dester
Your people can be housed here.  We don't exactly have enough high quality quarters prepared for all of them, but simple accommodations can easily be provided.  We don't currently require additional staff.

Spoiler: @Ozark, in the past (click to show/hide)

Okay, first question is whether we have the option of staying on Heph (or on a ship), and using QEC-bots to operate things in the apocalypse lab, so we aren't there ourselves.  We obviously can't do that when we start exploring in-person, but it should keep us safe in case we accidentally drag back some small monster, or a portion of a black hole.

Corollary to the above: Can the human members of our team use Man-Machine-Interfaces, or are those origin tech?  Remember, we took tech from both braincases and amps to create those, although there aren't any space magical effects, to my knowledge.

Do we have any technology that's a... less harmful version of the mindfuck gun?  Something which forces Mind rolls, but doesn't do severe/permanent harm?  I'd like to be able to test how resistant our subjects are to mindfuck before sending them into an alternate universe.

What equipment should we bring with us when we go into the anomaly personally?  I know very little about what stuff we have.  Just sensors and armor?

Regardless of the answers, everything in the below spoiler should be stockpiled on ships near the apocalypse lab, ready for use, but not so close that a local apocalypse would destroy them.

Quote from:  Saint to: BLOPS team
attachment:manifest

Attached is a list of everything we'll be taking with us.  We'll be able to ship anything else over at any time, but consolidating the basic list is a good idea.  Are there any suggestions on what else to bring?

I haven't added this to the list, but I believe we should also send some sort of mobile laboratory across before any humans.  We could set the lab up to perform basic experiments, designed to ensure the physical laws on the other side are similar to our own.  It would be nice to know if the speed of light or force of gravity varies before we send anything valuable in.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 10:03:02 pm »

PW

To the Doctor
Dester frowns in frustration.
Ahhh. Forgive the vagueness. I barely know where to start. The events of my team's recent mission, including it's origin have been swirling around in my head for some time now, and it's difficult to grab one piece of debris from that thought tornado at times. Let me try.

Are Amps and Manips from some other universe? How did we develop them? Did we know of some universe breaking threat related to them before this recent destabilization?

Additional actions: Move all necessary equipment and personnel out to the apocalypse lab and nearby ships before using that cargo space for evacuation. When we don't need the ships, then let the evacuation begin.

Question for clarification: We can send a refrigerator sized chunk of matter over to the other universes, right? So about four cubic meters-ish? as far as we know, we can move the matter across, then back, from the control unit in this dimension, right? Can we also, at least in theory, use the control unit to move something from our universe, to universe b, then from b to universe c, then back to our universe?

Quote from: Dester to: Vincent
Yes, bring them up to speed. remember though, we only know so much. I am trying to find out more from the leadership here, but that's never easy.

To Saint, during our conversation, which I totally don't mind carrying on for a little while while the main thread moves along toward !!adventure!!
My mother's name was Mom. What? Don't look at me like that, you had a mother too, right? Fine it was Elise Gree. I'm not talking about my first love. As for work, I once spend a year and a half as an apprentice technician maintaining mining equipment on a moon around [planet name expunged]. the food was surprisingly good. The Chef's name was Miguel, which I thought was weird, since all the Miguels I had met were tall, Dark skinned fellows, and he was shorter and more olive complexed, with freckles. Odd. He looked more like an Alphonse or a Desmond. Everyone called him Bork though. And I acquired all my current skills the old fashioned way. So what about you? tell me about your journeys.

Spoiler: miscellaneous clutter (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:14:52 am by Ozarck »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2015, 10:47:53 pm »

((Yeah, I'm aware of those statements.  My action is pretty much asking for more information, because "Highly protective in general" isn't very helpful.  Does that mean a battlesuit-type mech?  Human-sized armor?  Sitting in the center of a massive battleship?

...If you're talking about the manifest, it's more or less just a way to confirm "There's nothing else people think we should bring, right?"  Yes, we can always request whatever else we need, but it's best to figure out that we want to test material X in universes right now, rather than after we've visited twelve already.))

Saint's head returns to looking forward.  "Thank you.  As for myself, I used to be a doctor's assistant in a hospital.  I was never very interested in treating people, but my planet had a shortage of proper medical professionals, so it paid well.  The doctor I worked under ended up killing several patients through negligence, although I think it may have been intentional, and I was a convienent scapegoat."  Saint sighs here.  "So it goes.  I ended up in the ARM, woke up just after we had taken this very planet, and spent a year helping with repairs.  My first mission was to defend this very facility.  I was stationed in a bunker at the outskirts in that direction"--he points forward, and slightly to the left--"and ended up being taken out by friendly artillery.  My brain was only barely recoverable.  After being given a new body, I was launched into a UWM warship in a boarding pod, and by the end of that I was back to being a dead brain.  When I came back, they were recruiting people to stay here and run Hephaestus."  Saint shrugs.  "Apparently I'm unusually competent with research and development, so I was chosen to stay, along with Anton Chernozorov and Simulacrus Ferratum-Inanis.  Skip [several] years, I'm the last admin still concious, so I'm essentially the only leadership on this planet, aside from Aresteve, and he has no initiative or creativity.  There's two catatonic admins, but they seem to be in the final stage.  Is that a sufficient answer?"

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2015, 08:07:48 am »

Dester looks at Saint's metal features for several seconds.
Sufficient? Oh, yes, I suppose so. A very professional answer anyway. I won't pry, but those sound like some stories left untold behind the bare facts. Some interesting, though probably painful stories.

Dester looks away for a moment, his face troubled. When he resumes, his voice is quiet. I myself was sent to the HMRC for another's crimes.

Dester sighs. Well, I guess we should get back to work, and plan out how this mission shall proceed. So far, as I understand it, we are moving the universe teleportation device to a lab off-planet, stationing a bunch of supplies nearby, and proceeding with a slightly modified version of the currently proposed plan. I believe you mentioned some Quantuum entanglement guided robot bodies? like yours? Dester gestures at the mechanoid before him. Those sound useful for oversight of the initial stages, and perhaps to bring with us once we actually step through to the other side. Ah, that reminds me. Have we a variety of programmable robots as well? We ought to send robots over to perform simple tasks, both as tests and for logistical purposes.

Let's get the word out to people that we are recruiting volunteers to be the first humans into these other universes. What kind of incentives do you thing would be appropriate? Hazard pay? First priority on relocation for family members? Upgraded accommodations? I'm sure we can find suitable compensation to appeal to enough people that we needn't necessarily ... abduct and force people to go. We can at least try it that way first, right?

Oh, and I believe someone suggested that we evacuate the planet? Is that possible in the time we have?

Quote from: Dester Gree to: all Current Black Ops participants
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:50:12 pm by Ozarck »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2015, 02:14:05 pm »

((Remember, it's a tagged object, not a portal. It's a teleport, not a jaunt. No need to worry about 2-way leakage except on the return trip.))

Quote from: Ryan to Dester
That looks acceptable. However, in phase five, I recommend we take soil samples if we run across a planet. If the -verse is survivable, it may not necessarily be suitable for mundane plant growth, and our fancy tech may not work there.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 03:23:57 pm »

Quote from: Dester to: Ryan
you bring up a good point. Phase five will needto be expanded into an SOP of it's own, I think, in order to get all the things we need to do while exploring listed.

Quote from: Dester to: All team members
It looks like our primary plan for initial investigation of universes is coming together. However, phase five, where we actually go in and explore, seems to need expanded into a complete plan itself. May I have suggestions on things that need done while we explore for suitable locations? Ryan has mentioned taking soil samples.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 03:28:40 pm »

Twinwolf Petra's eyes are kind of glazing over at all the science-y talk, up until the plan.

Quote from: RE: Dester to: All team members
See if there's liquid, and then test it? Same with plant life? Just because it seems safe doesn't mean it is.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 04:22:17 pm »

((Yeah, let's say Skylar was stasised.  Kri can join if kre wants, but there's no reason to give free mission experience if kre's AWOL.

Also, I'm not sending anything across until we agree to do so.  Partially because Ozark is basically the mission lead, partially because when things go wrong it's good not to be the guy who pressed the button.))

Quote from:  Admin Steve Saint to: Operative Vincent Klart cc: BLOPS lead Dester
Your people can be housed here.  We don't exactly have enough high quality quarters prepared for all of them, but simple accommodations can easily be provided.  We don't currently require additional staff.

Spoiler: @Ozark, in the past (click to show/hide)

Okay, first question is whether we have the option of staying on Heph (or on a ship), and using QEC-bots to operate things in the apocalypse lab, so we aren't there ourselves.  We obviously can't do that when we start exploring in-person, but it should keep us safe in case we accidentally drag back some small monster, or a portion of a black hole.

Corollary to the above: Can the human members of our team use Man-Machine-Interfaces, or are those origin tech?  Remember, we took tech from both braincases and amps to create those, although there aren't any space magical effects, to my knowledge.

Do we have any technology that's a... less harmful version of the mindfuck gun?  Something which forces Mind rolls, but doesn't do severe/permanent harm?  I'd like to be able to test how resistant our subjects are to mindfuck before sending them into an alternate universe.

What equipment should we bring with us when we go into the anomaly personally?  I know very little about what stuff we have.  Just sensors and armor?

Regardless of the answers, everything in the below spoiler should be stockpiled on ships near the apocalypse lab, ready for use, but not so close that a local apocalypse would destroy them.

Quote from:  Saint to: BLOPS team
attachment:manifest

Attached is a list of everything we'll be taking with us.  We'll be able to ship anything else over at any time, but consolidating the basic list is a good idea.  Are there any suggestions on what else to bring?

I haven't added this to the list, but I believe we should also send some sort of mobile laboratory across before any humans.  We could set the lab up to perform basic experiments, designed to ensure the physical laws on the other side are similar to our own.  It would be nice to know if the speed of light or force of gravity varies before we send anything valuable in.
We don't know. Interference could prevent it. Yes, quantum interference.  But you could certainly try.

MMI's are just things to translate brain to robot, so to speak. They've got nothing special in them. All we took from amps was the brain interface, not the crunchy lovecraftian core.

We could just give them xenospit. Thats a good, dirty method of testing will power.

Stick it on the wiki and we're good. Whats the point of it, by the way? Reserves? Or some sort of canary system for detecting minor reality fuckups or memory leaks?

PW

To the Doctor
Dester frowns in frustration.
Ahhh. Forgive the vagueness. I barely know where to start. The events of my team's recent mission, including it's origin have been swirling around in my head for some time now, and it's difficult to grab one piece of debris from that thought tornado at times. Let me try.

Are Amps and Manips from some other universe? How did we develop them? Did we know of some universe breaking threat related to them before this recent destabilization?

Additional actions: Move all necessary equipment and personnel out to the apocalypse lab and nearby ships before using that cargo space for evacuation. When we don't need the ships, then let the evacuation begin.

Question for clarification: We can send a refrigerator sized chunk of matter over to the other universes, right? So about four cubic meters-ish? as far as we know, we can move the matter across, then back, from the control unit in this dimension, right? Can we also, at least in theory, use the control unit to move something from our universe, to universe b, then from b to universe c, then back to our universe?

Quote from: Dester to: Vincent
Yes, bring them up to speed. remember though, we only know so much. I am trying to find out more from the leadership here, but that's never easy.

To Saint, during our conversation, which I totally don't mind carrying on for a little while while the main thread moves along toward !!adventure!!
My mother's name was Mom. What? Don't look at me like that, you had a mother too, right? Fine it was Elise Gree. I'm not talking about my first love. As for work, I once spend a year and a half as an apprentice technician maintaining mining equipment on a moon around [planet name expunged]. the food was surprisingly good. The Chef's name was Miguel, which I thought was weird, since all the Miguels I had met were tall, Dark skinned fellows, and he was shorter and more olive complexed, with freckles. Odd. He looked more like an Alphonse or a Desmond. Everyone called him Bork though. And I acquired all my current skills the old fashioned way. So what about you? tell me about your journeys.

Spoiler: miscellaneous clutter (click to show/hide)

"No. They are from our universe. We developed them through a process that is...well, lets just say that we basically tinkered with the source until we got it to do things. Yes. I'm not sure you have clearance for anything more. Steve is still considering what is going to become common knowledge in the wake of this event."

Thats just the tag; the thing which allows the machine to know what to move and where to move it and where it is currently. We can move things much larger.  And yes, it can be moved to and from. Yes, you could go a to b and b to c and c to a.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 04:55:28 pm »

To the Doctor

Source? What was the source of the amps then? Who are you anyway? Why did you join this rebellion against the UWM?

As soon as the resources are in position and everyone is ready, begin Phase one of the plan: Send a small drone, containing a sample of each element (except those with very short half lives or that are created exclusively in labs) To coordinates 0, 0, 1. Wait one minute and then bring the drone back.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:53:53 pm by Ozarck »

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 06:38:33 pm »

Quote from:  Vincent to: Dester CC to: Saint
Attached Files: Security Staff Speech draft; Shipping and Sales Staff Speech draft

As per stage 5, I suggest we use the security staff for the first few tests as that way we can have multiple promising universes being checked out at once, and have the security staff note anything to us once they come back. Specific instructions I would give them would be to avoid contact with anything not immediately hostile, instead to just stay away until they can be brought back, at which point they inform us that they found life, and to be on the lookout for anything that might be ideal for setting up a base of operations, or a resource to exploit. Once an interesting universe shows anything of interest is when we ourselves would jump in, as an added bonus, this will allow us to figure out who our top performing security staff are before we decide who to bring with us for backup.

Saint, you should read over my speech drafts as well, as they may contain information you do not wish me to share. I am revealing that this place is scientifically focussed, and that the machines we will be using are transportive in nature. I am doing this for a few reasons, I believe those two pieces of information to be relatively unimportant, they won't reveal heph's true nature, (or even that we are being transported to new universes) but they will allow us to put HEAVY security in keeping them in their quarters without making them too suspicious. I believe for a lie to be truly effective, it must be created out of the truth. That being said, if an employee is doing something suspicious, do not hesitate to remove them, add them to your subjects for experiments, kill them, whatever, I will make it look like they were fired and them and their family were deported.

Please share any concerns you may have with me, and if I am unable to reassure you by modifying or explaining why the information is being given, I will remove any info you request

Gather up our security personnel and inform them of our company's new initiative. We have partnered up with a science outpost that is studying new transportation technologies, and they have recently stumbled into a breakthrough with teleportation technology that allows us to reach sections of space that are outside UWM protection and jurisdiction. Our current objective is to set up trading posts and contacts in these unexplored sections of space, in order to capitolize on new trading possibilities. This of course will be insanely dangerous for the first few stages, and as such, security staff who participate in the first few trips while we find new outposts will be paid triple time for the first few excursions, double time for those who decide to help guard after the sector is deemed livable and back to normal pay once we have a base of operations set up. As a further incentive to take on the vital and dangerous stages, the family members of any staff who dies during these phases will receive that staff's wages for the rest of their lives. That being said, we have our scientist co-partners performing preliminary tests to reduce the danger of these new regions before we will be sending our security staff in as recon. Thank them for being an important part in helping our company reach even greater fortunes.

After that meeting is concluded, gather up our remaining staff and let them know that until further notice they are on 100% paid leave, and that we have accommodations set up for them on this planet until their skills are needed once again. Inform them that as this is a science base working on new transportation technologies, any area outside of where they have been cleared to stay is highly classified, and any employee or family member found outside the cleared areas will be promptly fired, and them and their family will be shipped to the nearest stable planet. Thank them for being an important part in helping our company reach even greater fortunes.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:25:06 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2015, 07:49:52 pm »

((You may want to inform Saint that you're telling your people this is a science installation.  He currently thinks they're essentially mercs in service of ARM, and is going to post robosod guards in their area unless you convince him not to.  He doesn't trust them.))

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2015, 08:15:10 pm »

((Duly Noted, I'll CC Saint in that message. My view [and by extension Vincent
s] is that the best lies are ones created through half truths, and by admitting this is a science facility, but lying about what it is actually researching, it is an easier to maintain lie, without revealing too much important info))
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2015, 08:53:11 pm »

I edited my action above to begin phase one. I think we are ready to at least send a drone with elements in it through.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2015, 11:51:22 pm »

((Tired--long day.  This may result in confusing statements; my apologies if it does.  Spoilers are for compact reading & shorter PW post.))

1.Test if quantum entanglement is working right now.  Just switch to possessing a bot at the apocalypse lab, and make sure it's working properly.

2.I've okayed Kedly's plan of housing and lying to their... company personnel, but I want to make sure everything is secure.  Select an area to house the people which is out of the way and not too near anything exceptionally important, then seal off most entrances.  Remaining entrances should be constantly guarded by robosods using riot gear, with orders to turn back anyone who tries to leave (and to disable them non-lethally if that doesn't work).  Heavy robosods equipped with combat gear should also be ready to deploy, in case things really go bad for whatever reason.  If anyone somehow gets out of the area, they are to be immediately captured and detained.  Make sure robosods patrol all the nearby facilities.

3.Can we get enhanced capacity mods as mission equipment?  I'm guessing not, but it's worth asking.

Reality Ripper:

4.Can this thing teleport stuff around in our own reality?  Did we invent a new type of FTL?

5.How exactly is the teleportation activated?  Does the machine in our reality control when stuff is teleported where, or can someone on the other side tell the tag to teleport back?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2015, 03:15:39 am »

Well, a new universe might cause different issues for a robotic body, or a robotic personality - an Artificial Intelligence - than for a human one. It may help to test the effects of a different universe on something like that before sending in a more complex device such as your body. Better to test it than to find out later, when the QEC reverses, and you become the puppet of your machine. And as for them being useful ... well, I have been places where there were no sods and few enough humans, that many simple, routine tasks were handled by robot. Plus, robots are more flexible in design than human bodies. it's easier to send a fleet of eight kilo scout bots to fly over an empty looking moon than to send a fleet of eighty kilo humans armed with flight suits.

It appears that Vincent has taken the initiative on incentives.

I assume the suggestion of evacuating the planet was made either because someone overlooked the existence of the off world lab, or because they wanted the majority of the population out of the star system, not just off the surface.

Test their will? I recall something about similar tests for space pilots and the like, from history. I see no reason that people would be particularly resistant to that as a part of the training and testing for the mission.

Quote from: Dester to: BLOPS team
Mr. Saint has suggested testing our human scouts' willpower before sending them across. I suggest you guys develop and implement a general training regimen for any of our people we expect to send over, just to get the civilians minimally competent at least, and to give the veterans a broader perspective. Additionally, if you find yourself in need of guidance, I will be happy to suggest a few activities for you, including getting those robot body control things installed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 54