Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008508 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #495 on: January 26, 2016, 05:43:02 am »

Isn't it kinda doing what you're accusing the PM of? Except it's presuming the victim guilty unless found innocent. Optimally, we could presume both are innocent until proven, but people exceedingly rarely accidentally fatally stab someone before having to be taken down by other people on the scene.

Not really, I was just giving some examples. Maybe I should have given more examples, like, 'maybe the kid had a PTSS induced panic attack/flashback (so he was not legally accountable for his actions, because psychiatrically ill)', or 'maybe the kid didn't do it and just got scapegoated', 'maybe etc'.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that it's still a crime, it just means you aren't prosecuted for it because of reasons. And if he got scapegoated or anything like that, then it's still a crime, just not by that particular perpetrator.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 26, 2016, 05:44:42 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that it's still a crime, it just means you aren't prosecuted for it because of reasons. And if he got scapegoated or anything like that, then it's still a crime, just not by that particular perpetrator.
AFAIK a death caused by a person who cannot be held accountable because of psychiatric condition is not a crime, but an accident.

And the point is not that there are many outcomes that could be called a crime, the point is that there exist examples where the outcome cannot be called a crime. A person in the highest place of national authority, like the prime minister, should know that and be more careful with what he says. What he did here was showing disrespect for the Trias Politica, and that is not fitting with his examplary societal function.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:48:31 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #497 on: January 26, 2016, 05:54:59 am »

AFAIK a death caused by a person who cannot be held accountable because of psychiatric condition is not a crime, but an accident.
No
It just means the punishment is mitigated or wavered in lieu of compulsory psychiatric help and sectioning

And the point is not that there are many outcomes that could be called a crime, the point is that there exist examples where the outcome cannot be called a crime. A person in the highest place of national authority, like the prime minister, should know that and be more careful with what he says. What he did here was showing disrespect for the Trias Politica, and that is not fitting with his examplary societal function.
A 22 year old woman was just stabbed to death, what happened there was no great justice. Just look at Obama stepping in to talk about black Americans getting shot, he is fitting his exemplary societal function by not being a bystander to his own country's injustice.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 26, 2016, 06:24:32 am »

A 22 year old woman who worked at a refugee center for unaccompanied minors between ages of 14 and 17,  was stabbed to death in Sweden.
A 15 year old refugee from Libanon has been arrested. Police cannot make any statements yet about what happened.
The Swedish prime minister called it a 'terrible crime', and spoke of the fear amongst Swedes that these things will happen again.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35406072

Dunno, 10 years ago prime ministers would be more careful with statements. They'd say something like 'a terrible tragedy', keeping the possibility open that the kid might have stabbed in self defense, or anger about sexual abuse. Basically the prime minister is breaking the law, because a person is innocent until convicted. He shouldn't call it a crime before a judge has done so.

And before someone calls me a terrorist murderer apologist, the only thing I defend here is the Constitutional State, from threats foreign and domestic.

I think you should read up on Swedish laws before you call the Swedish state minister a criminal for making a somewhat preclusive statement on a crime he likely has access to a whole lot more information about than you do.

Nevermind that what he said is really tame and standard and painting it as "threatening the constitutional state and the principle of innocence" is completely inflating the situation.
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 26, 2016, 07:15:29 am »

Yeah - as far as I know, presumption of innocence only applies to the courts. You or I - or the Swedish PM or king or whoever - are perfectly free to voice their opinion that it indeed was a crime.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 26, 2016, 10:57:07 am »

You or I - or the Swedish PM or king or whoever - are perfectly free to voice their opinion that it indeed was a crime.
You and I, yes we are perfectly free to voice that opinion. A prime minister however, is not, for that violates the separation of powers.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 26, 2016, 11:49:17 am »

You or I - or the Swedish PM or king or whoever - are perfectly free to voice their opinion that it indeed was a crime.
You and I, yes we are perfectly free to voice that opinion. A prime minister however, is not, for that violates the separation of powers.
That's only if he tried to assert his statement as having legal powers.
._.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 26, 2016, 12:42:18 pm »

It's generally bad form. There's a reason the media constantly uses "allegedly". These things can interfere with a clean trial.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 26, 2016, 12:43:00 pm »

Whoops, double post

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 26, 2016, 12:56:56 pm »

A "clean trial" would be impossible anyway, there's too much pro-migration banter in Yurop for a clean trial against a member of the Master Immigration Race.
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 26, 2016, 01:07:57 pm »

It's generally bad form. There's a reason the media constantly uses "allegedly". These things can interfere with a clean trial.
Given this is *media* we're talking about, I suspect it's more related to something that begins with 'L' and rhymes with 'lawsuit'.

Things tend to rhyme with themselves.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 26, 2016, 01:58:36 pm »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 26, 2016, 03:33:08 pm »

A 17-year old Danish girl will likely be charged with a crime after using pepper spray to defend herself from sexual assault, according to a local police spokesman.

This is true, but not for the reason that article implies. Pepper spray is illegal for private citizens in Denmark, at least if you're not a policeman. It's illegal or tightly controlled in a lot of European countries, actually. You can pick it up at a lot of convenience stores around here though. Make of that what you will.

Edit: I know it says that in the article, but legalizing pepper spray isn't the point the article is making.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:37:21 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 26, 2016, 04:24:20 pm »

well duh, pepperspray is illegal in certain parts of Europe.

If defend yourself by shooting an assailant with a gun you don't just get a free pass on gun possession.

I have no idea however why the guy wasn't charged with sexual assault.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #509 on: January 26, 2016, 05:24:04 pm »

I have no idea however why the guy wasn't charged with sexual assault.
In the same way that foreign ambassadors get diplomatic immunity
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 793