Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008683 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1065 on: March 14, 2016, 06:18:16 pm »

Hey Ant, how many people in the East would be down with de-unifying Germany? The idea appears more and more appealing to me...

What would the point of that be? Though from what I hear around here, you guys would be cool with kicking Bavaria out.

Also, do you mean the menagerie of HRE states or east and west germany? ;)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: March 15, 2016, 04:21:22 am »

Turkey is about to start a full out war with the PKK. Europe can expect many Kurdish refugees.
Also, Erdogan has proposed to change the law, so that journalist can also be labelled as 'terrorists'
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: March 15, 2016, 05:50:26 am »

Hey Ant, how many people in the East would be down with de-unifying Germany? The idea appears more and more appealing to me...
No idea. I kind of don't want to be stuck with Sachsen&Co.

Turkey is about to start a full out war with the PKK. Europe can expect many Kurdish refugees.
Also, Erdogan has proposed to change the law, so that journalist can also be labelled as 'terrorists'
As expected. I don't see how supporting Erdogan should lead to less refugees. Still it's made out to be without alternative.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: March 15, 2016, 06:37:03 am »

No idea. I kind of don't want to be stuck with Sachsen&Co.
Neither do I - hence the question :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: March 15, 2016, 06:55:03 am »

Figured as much.

They want a wall against immigrants. Can't we just give them that? I hear walls work both ways.
Taste my Paci-Fist

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: March 15, 2016, 07:09:44 am »

What's the point of it all when you're building a wall and in front of your eyes it disappears?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: March 15, 2016, 08:42:50 am »

What's the point of it all when you're building a wall and in front of your eyes it disappears?
Who knows, we're just here to arrange the blocks.

As expected. I don't see how supporting Erdogan should lead to less refugees. Still it's made out to be without alternative.
[ / quote ]

Wasn't Turkey promised , but never given, a bunch of Euro monies to help keep things under control over there? If I am remembering right, it's not terribly surprising he's putting the screws to everything now, especially Europe. Sure he probably wanted to from the start, but having the chaos in Syria start leaking into his borders is as good a reason as any.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: March 15, 2016, 09:25:37 am »

I don't know whether he got the money or not and I don't even care, because he already did that stuff before the migrant crisis even started. But for some reason people here in Europe seem to think that ensuring he stays in power longer will mean less refugees. Which is idiotic. Erdogan is just one more tyrant, how should he lessen the crisis?
Taste my Paci-Fist

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: March 15, 2016, 10:06:48 am »

I have a friend at college here who is Turkish and was telling me what a fascist Erdogan was long before it became a big news topic. I see Erdogan as one of the most dangerous rising political figures of the region.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:11:13 am by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: March 15, 2016, 10:09:59 am »

Why haven't we kicked Turkey out of NATO for Erdogan being a dictator? :P

(caught yo edit)Didn't Ergogan's government bomb Kurdish fighters in northern Iraq just now? Bombing those who are opposed to ISIS doesn't sound like what we should be doing right now.

They've been bombing the Kurds since the start of the whole thing.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: March 15, 2016, 10:11:56 am »

*was edited because I noted you guys were already talking about that.

For Erdogan's journalism = terrorism thing, it seems to be worded in a way that it implies you can be labelled a terrorist for supporting the same cause as a terrorist, even if you don't actually support the tactics of terrorism or those actual groups. So, if you support a free Kurdistan, you're culpable for terrorist attacks by anyone who also supports a free Kurdistan.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:16:23 am by Reelya »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: March 15, 2016, 12:39:38 pm »

And of course, this would also apply to anything said by Turkish citizens on the Internet, as it already does in relation to the perceived "insults" toward His Highness Sultan Erdogan.

Erdogan is rapidly turning into Saddam 2.0. The only things missing here are trying to annex some neighbouring small country (which he already almost attempted, with Syria, but was forced to back off by Russia & NATO), and gassing the Kurds (which doesn't seem to be far out of question, considering the sheer scale of violence he has unleashed on them already).
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: March 15, 2016, 12:56:59 pm »

Again, why haven't we kicked him out of NATO? I mean, there has to be some lines that NATO members can't cross if they want to remain in there. I'd imagine keeping a democracy and respecting human rights would be among them.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:03:29 pm by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: March 15, 2016, 01:02:49 pm »

Nah, then we'd have to kick the US out too. How's the closing down of Guantanomo bay coming along?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: March 15, 2016, 01:06:01 pm »

https://www.quora.com/What-countries-are-most-likely-to-be-kicked-out-of-NATO

"There is no formal process to expel a nation from NATO."

*facedesks*

I guess they couldn't imagine a reason why they might want to kick someone out of NATO at the time they wrote the rules. Or perhaps the major powers (which would be the UK and US at the time) didn't want to put anything in which would allow them to be kicked out by other members.

Nah, then we'd have to kick the US out too. How's the closing down of Guantanomo bay coming along?

Obama's trying... though not particularily hard and faces massive resistance from the republicans and even some democrats... and good point.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:08:46 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 793