Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002061 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1245 on: March 22, 2016, 12:56:12 pm »

The problem I don't get with guns is that, as I under Polish law you can own replicas of front loading guns from like before 1900s or something, which means you can own some old revolvers. While reloading them is horrible, if I positively, objectively wanted to shoot up school I could just buy half a dozen of them and then go shoot people.

There's a huge difference between carrying 6 bulky front-loading guns around and trying to do a massacre vs a single auto or semi-auto pistol or rifle. The Colorado Joker shooter killed 12 and injured another 70. You'd need at least 82 front-loading guns to replicate that.

If you try to do a mass shooting with single-shot front loading antiques, well I sort of doubt their accuracy, and also if you miss, you're kinda screwed since you now have to drop that weapon and get the next one ready before the other guys rush you (which they will). You'd have more success just with a large knife.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 01:00:29 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 22, 2016, 01:03:27 pm »

The problem I don't get with guns is that, as I under Polish law you can own replicas of front loading guns from like before 1900s or something, which means you can own some old revolvers. While reloading them is horrible, if I positively, objectively wanted to shoot up school I could just buy half a dozen of them and then go shoot people.

There's a huge difference between carrying 6 bulky front-loading guns around and trying to do a massacre vs a single auto or semi-auto pistol or rifle. The Colorado Joker shooter killed 12 and injured another 70. You'd need at least 82 front-loading guns to replicate that.

If you try to do a mass shooting with single-shot front loading antiques, well I sort of doubt their accuracy, and also if you miss, you're kinda screwed since you now have to drop that weapon and get the next one ready before the other guys rush you (which they will). You'd have more success just with a large knife.

He's talking about revolvers, you know, Wild West, six-shooters....

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 22, 2016, 01:17:25 pm »

Plus if it had removable cylinders, then the shooter would only need one gun, and many pre-loaded cylinders.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 22, 2016, 01:29:04 pm »

Or a speedloader. Lotta options here.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 22, 2016, 01:30:08 pm »

Even then, the shooter would still have to take time to reload the cylinder.

I think Kot's origional point, whatever it was, got lost, not sure what point he was trying to make, other than that guns are easy to get in the US.

I don't think an antique would have a speedloader? Whatever that is.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1250 on: March 22, 2016, 01:47:26 pm »

Even then, the shooter would still have to take time to reload the cylinder.

I think Kot's origional point, whatever it was, got lost, not sure what point he was trying to make, other than that guns are easy to get in the US.

I don't think an antique would have a speedloader? Whatever that is.

The speedloader would just have to be made for it, need not be made with it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 22, 2016, 02:49:38 pm »

Antique revolvers are black-powder based. Fastloaders wont work.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 22, 2016, 03:09:08 pm »

Some front-loading revolvers had removable cylinders, so you could theoretically carry extra cylinders and swap them out. But I still imagine that would be fiddly and make you extremely vulnerable while swapping cylinders out. Reloading in a battle is one thing, whereas reloading when it's you by yourself vs a room full of people is another.

Also, front loading revolvers were prone to jamming if you didn't flick the gun up and hit the hammer between shots, because they were loaded separately with powder, ball and percussion cap. The debris would stay in the mechanism if you didn't shake it out. And the chambers were also prone to set each other on fire, causing a misfire of all chambers. So, it's not going to be like "bang-bang-bang" moving from one target to the next, they have an opening when you cock the barrel up in the air, if you know what you're doing.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 03:10:43 pm by Reelya »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1254 on: March 22, 2016, 03:10:18 pm »

It's okay to own a gun (without license) in Poland (so I wasn't talking about US) unless it has cartridges. Technically you could convert your antique revolver to use cased cartridges but then that's illegal and cartridges aren't that easy to come by anyway. So yeah, speed loaders are no-go, though... spare cylinders are okay.
As in, this is okay. And you can carry shittons of those cylinders. Right, the gun is fucking antique but I am pretty sure the bullets kill as well as the non-antique ones... and the guns are actually way more dangerous to the shooter (we're now assuming the shooter is a nice guy and doesn't want to shoot up a school) than the modern ones, considering you have to load them yourself and if you screw up the gun can explode in your hand, so...

EDIT:
Also, front loading revolvers were prone to jamming if you didn't flick the gun up and hit the hammer between shots
That's what you're basically doing anyway, due to recoil and the fact that you need to pull the hammer back to shoot again anyway.

And the chambers were also prone to set each other on fire, causing a misfire of all chambers.
Quote from: wikipediuh
This could be prevented by sealing the chambers with cotton, wax, or grease.
If you're going to use spare cylinders you're proably going to use something like that anyway. It's not like it would take that much longer.

So, it's not going to be like "bang-bang-bang" moving from one target to the next, they have an opening when you cock the barrel up in the air, if you know what you're doing.
It's going to be "bang-bang-bang" enough that even with the "opening", they won't be able to do anything. I mean, what do you expect people to do, if they proably have never seen a working gun before?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 03:19:50 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: March 22, 2016, 03:29:37 pm »

I don't really know the details of how things are applied in the UK, but in Belgium Sharia4Belgium's Fouad Belkacem is now serving a 12-years prison sentence after his organization was deemed terrorist, despite never doing much more than agitprop. In France, people got jailed for little more than shouting "Urray for the Charlie Hebdo terrorists" while drunk, they even briefly detained a 8-years old at some point.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: March 22, 2016, 03:36:08 pm »

The bombs in Brussles were packed with nails, to maximize damage.
The miltary hospital of Neder-Over Heembeek released an x-ray of a victim that's currently being treated there, to show the size of the nails used. The nail in the photo below narrowly missed the victim's heart.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 22, 2016, 03:44:20 pm »

They also found someplace with a nail bomb, bomb making supplies, and an Isis flag during the raids earlier.

Kind of sounds like Belgium has some major work to do.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 22, 2016, 03:51:03 pm »

"his ego was bruised", when translated into "they insulted his honor", was a valid casus belli just a few hundred years ago, so I don't see what's so hard to get about it. "Insults are washed away with blood" and other stuff like that, you know?
._.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: March 22, 2016, 03:51:25 pm »

These attacks, more than anything, infuriate me. Not towards the perpetrators any more than would be expected, but the fact that I can't understand their logic at all. I really, REALLY want to know just how they seem to think this is all justifiable? I know that people will say 'It's because they were told if they do this then they go and get their virgins' and so on, but I honest to God still can't understand *that* mindset. I mean, they're basically saying 'I worship an omnicidal maniac of a god that wants me to kill people because his ego was bruised' and I really just... can't get that.
*shrug* Why was heresy or blasphemy punishable by being burnt at the stake for centuries? Same logic.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 793