Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008336 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1800 on: April 20, 2016, 08:21:04 am »

The Dutch government wrote a notice to the parliament today, in which they agree and promise to give priority treatment to any official motion by the parliament to get rid of the law against insulting foreign heads of state.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: April 20, 2016, 08:42:59 am »

Brevik just won part of his Human Rights Trial
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: April 20, 2016, 09:31:27 am »

The Dutch government wrote a notice to the parliament today, in which they agree and promise to give priority treatment to any official motion by the parliament to get rid of the law against insulting foreign heads of state.

Lol :)

I suppose they realized 'Lets get rid of this hot potato ASAFP'. Not to mention being a bit of a middle finger to the likes of Erdogan.

You Dutch should insult the Queen of England next!

Okay I'll stop..... lol

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: April 20, 2016, 10:20:40 am »

I'm sure the British don't need any Dutch help in coming up with creative ways to insult the Queen.
God shave the queen!

(although I sometimes wish, being an anti royalist, but still, that our previous queen would have shown some of the same perseverance and stubborn-ness as the old lady in the UK does, and not have given up the throne for a rather early retirement, to her son, who publicly was known as "Prins Pils" for having a habit of leading the student's drinking life. Whenever I see our new king making a public appearance, I can't help but think "darn, this new king really isn't the brightest light in the city", in contrast to his mother, who was sharp minded and witty. I fear he kinda went from Prins Pils to King Korsakov. I think I can understand our old queen though. She lost her second eldest son to an avalanche, and that clearly hit her hard. She secceeded not too long after that)

EDIT: in other news, the international research group Reporters Sans Frontiers (reporters without borders), which investigates press freedom worldwide, has posted it's results for 2015. The Netherlands get second place, bested only by Finland, as country with the most freedom of press. We are reprimanded though, because reporters are not allowed to photograph members of parliament at their work, without prior appointment.
https://rsf.org/en/ranking

The worst freedom of press is to be found in Eritrea, at the 180th place. Turkey also scores badly, and ends up in the lower regions at the 151th place.
Within the EU, the biggest shift compared to last year is for Poland, which went from 18th place down to 47th. This has much to do with the new law which allows the minister of Finance to hire and fire directors for the public broadcast channels.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:46:33 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: April 20, 2016, 10:47:34 am »

I KEEP CLICKING NEW POST BUT THERE IS NO NEW POST!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: April 20, 2016, 11:13:48 am »

She lost her second eldest son to an avalanche, and that clearly hit her hard. She secceeded not too long after that)

She became an independent country?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: April 20, 2016, 11:56:30 am »

If Trump is any indication, seems like he would make the score drop if he is President.

About the only complaints they seem to have for the US is lack of whistleblower protection, not having a federal 'shield law', and cyber-surveillance (NSA and all that).

And guess who is slightly less worse than Eritrea? NK.... Funny how someone manages to be worse than NK.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:58:24 am by smjjames »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: April 20, 2016, 02:34:28 pm »

The Netherlands get second place, bested only by Finland, as country with the most freedom of press.
That's funny as shit, considering that practically all Finnish newspapers are staffed by right-wing hacks exercising their hard-earned freedom to spout vapid propaganda in favour of the government's idiotic austerity measures. Not that it makes Finland worse than the rest of the world – the current global standards are apparently low enough to allow any old turd to float to the top.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: April 20, 2016, 02:36:36 pm »

She lost her second eldest son to an avalanche, and that clearly hit her hard. She secceeded not too long after that)

She became an independent country?
I thought secession (crap double c, no double c, I guess it's single c and I goofed the first time) also to be the verb used when a monarch passes on the throne to the next in line. Enlighten me with the correct verb if I am royally wrong there please.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 02:38:11 pm by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: April 20, 2016, 02:38:34 pm »

Abdication.
Isn't an abdication forced upon the monarch?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: April 20, 2016, 02:39:51 pm »

Abdicate?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: April 20, 2016, 03:01:06 pm »

Abdication is correct. Succession is succeeding the former monarch, that is, it's what the successor does. I mean... well, you have examples of me using it and its variants in two sentences, that should be good. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: April 20, 2016, 03:41:50 pm »

okay thanks that's what got me confused I guess

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: April 21, 2016, 10:40:44 am »

The Turkish consulate has called upon the Turkish people living in the Netherlands to "report any insults to the Turkish state, the Turkish people or the Turkish president directly to the consulate", to a special telephone number installed for the matter.

Our Dutch government and parliament are not amused, and have called for a priority parliament meeting to be scheduled about it. (We Dutch kinda don't take lightly to citizens ratting on citizens ever since we have the trauma of world war 2, were a lot of Dutch people ratted out Jews and members of the resistance to the German occupants. We killed a lot of them by hanging and shaved their girlfriends' and wives' heads bald once we were liberated) The outcome will probably be that Erdogan will be reprimanded about messing with another nation's internal affairs, and get a lesson in freedom of expression from our embassador.

Besides, insulting the Turkish president is nothing new here. It even happened in parliament in 2011, when member of parliament for the PVV, Raymond the Roon, said during a parliament session about Erdogan that "once again the islamic monkey has come out of the sleeve. This time he resides in Istanbul and is called Erdogan".
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:47:24 am by martinuzz »

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: April 21, 2016, 09:45:50 pm »

In Essen, Germany, two Salafists have been arrested after a bomb attack on a Sikh temple.

http://www.thelocal.de/20160421/sikh-temple-bomb-attack-salafists-arrested-police
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 793