Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008734 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #2220 on: May 21, 2016, 08:46:25 am »

His nickname is Andean Warhol.
I see what they did there...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: May 21, 2016, 09:03:52 am »

The deal with Turkey about transferring newly arrived refugees from Greece back to Turkey has become even less workable.

A special appeal committee from the Greek high court has ruled in favour of a Syrian refugee who had appealed against deportation.
The committee has declared that Turkey is not a safe country, and according to the Guardian, they stated that refugees in Turkey are not treated according to the Convention of Geneva.
They have declared the refugee's deportation order void, and have ordered the justice department to start the refugee's asylum procedure anew (which will take many months).
The verdict can have big consequences for the tens of thousands of similar refugee cases in the country.

tl;dr: Greek appeal court forbids deportation of refugee to Turkey
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/syrier-vecht-gedwongen-terugkeer-naar-turkije-met-succes-aan~a4304868/

In related news: Human Rights Watch estimates that of the about 1 million Syrian refugee children in Turkey, only 325000 go to school. The rest are put to work in the textile and shoe industries, to help support their families.
For a change, my newspaper has the article in english: http://www.volkskrant.nl/economie/syrian-children-refugees-are-put-to-work-en-masse-in-turkish-factories~a4304700/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:07:32 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: May 22, 2016, 03:20:40 am »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/britain-trains-soldiers-for-most-regimes-on-its-own-human-rights-abuse-watchlist-a7041086.html
According to the Ministry of Defence, British soldiers have trained the armed forces of Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Burma, Burundi, China, Colombia, Egypt, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen and Zimbabwe – despite the human rights records of those countries.
why

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: May 22, 2016, 03:34:34 am »

tl;dr: Greek appeal court forbids deportation of refugee to Turkey
Greece what the fuck is this how your revenge against Europe looks like

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/britain-trains-soldiers-for-most-regimes-on-its-own-human-rights-abuse-watchlist-a7041086.html
According to the Ministry of Defence, British soldiers have trained the armed forces of Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Burma, Burundi, China, Colombia, Egypt, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen and Zimbabwe – despite the human rights records of those countries.
why
No Russia on the list? I guess Rusland barbarians are already too proficient at pillaging for Brits to teach them anything new...
._.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: May 22, 2016, 05:45:31 am »

Now, now you had a joint exercise with them in in the 1940s that should last you at least for another 50 years.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2225 on: May 23, 2016, 07:03:57 pm »

why
Because you don't help other nations progress by smugly chiding them into being enlightened liberals, you do so by building a stable state, move to transparency, development and anti-corruption, then move to franchisement - each step must be taken, unless you want to jump right into Muslim Brotherhood or cheeki bandits with failed states

Also I would presume China gives some Official somewhere lots of shekels in exchange for the training, and they're not our neighbour so there's little conflict of interest in doing so

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: May 24, 2016, 05:31:56 am »

Because you don't help other nations progress by smugly chiding them into being enlightened liberals, you do so by building a stable state, move to transparency, development and anti-corruption, then move to franchisement - each step must be taken, unless you want to jump right into Muslim Brotherhood or cheeki bandits with failed states

Also I would presume China gives some Official somewhere lots of shekels in exchange for the training, and they're not our neighbour so there's little conflict of interest in doing so
The best way to get checki brecki heart-eating bandits is to train them youself: provide guns and training to "moderate rebels" like FSA ISIS and Al-Nusra, and sit back and watch the fireworks. Training "government" forces in unstable toilet countries (Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Yemen...) that don't even have anything resembling a proper government is ... pretty much the same thing, no?

Also, it's just funny that UK is training soldiers for their #8 trading partner (China) right under the noses of their #1 trading partner (USA). I don't understand it because I'm not a scheming politician, but it's exactly what I'd expect out of scheming politicians anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2227 on: May 24, 2016, 12:07:26 pm »

Nah the most confusing thing is probably training Yemen and Saudi Arabia's troops. Training both sides of the conflict... What? Likewise I don't support training checki brecki heart-eating bandits, I support the training of state security forces since you can at least negotiate with them and force them to step down when things calm down. Given how Central Africa is getting pretty fucked up by bandits being trained/supplied from Libya (sadly some of the bandits are fielding better weapons than Central African state militaries) they have to be contained before they spread even further and fuck up more of Africa
It's either that or send our own troops to fight, and we sure as hell don't have the manpower or shekels or support to take over the world so that's a pass. Not sure why you're surprised we train China, we're not doing it under the nose of the USA but under the direction of the USA. 5 eyes m8y, we're not at war with China, our interests align very well and the only reason we can't be outright allies is because we don't want to insult Japan, or Korea, or Malaysia or Taiwan, or even Americans, or deal with infinite uproar from labour about training godless commies

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: May 24, 2016, 12:18:21 pm »

we're not doing it under the nose of the USA but under the direction of the USA.
well bugger me sideways and call me grandpa

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: May 25, 2016, 04:54:47 am »

Nah the most confusing thing is probably training Yemen and Saudi Arabia's troops. Training both sides of the conflict... What?

Well, the Saudi aren't fighting the Yemeni government, they're fighting the Houthi no?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2230 on: May 25, 2016, 05:16:49 am »

I don't know anything about the Houthi but I support them on the basis that they're fighting SA
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: May 25, 2016, 06:03:49 am »

Your enemy's enemy is not your friend:
The group's flag reads as following: "God Is Great, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam".

Fighting SA is a bad reason for support, ISIS is at war with them too.
Love, scriver~

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2232 on: May 25, 2016, 06:14:00 am »

No, I support ISIS when they're fighting SA as well. Maybe then we can get some Zionist propaganda catching on, or something.

Anything that has a slight chance of making the whole place less of an amoral hellhole.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: May 25, 2016, 06:19:00 am »

I don't know anything about the Houthi but I support them on the basis that they're fighting SA
The group's flag reads as following: "God Is Great, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam."
they have anti-imperialist/progressive potential

I think the situation in Yemen might be a bit more complicated than "Houthis against Saudis." For example, I just learned that there's an Australian guy leading an army of UAE special forces and mercenaries from all over the world, including Australia, Britain, Colombia, France, etc.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: May 25, 2016, 07:06:34 am »

Yeah, because the Arab armies sucks, so they resorted to only using air power and hiring merc. That guy is fighting as part of the Saudi coalition against the Houthis.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 793