Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002233 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #2535 on: June 14, 2016, 07:35:51 am »

Newly-appointed Muslim mayor of London Sadiq Khan takes on his first big target - immodestly-dressed ladies on adverts. He's probably just kissing the feminist ring, but either way, it seems both foolish and remarkably ill-timed.
Lol I wonder at what point in life, someone got the bright idea to call obesity healthy, healthy unhealthy, and beauty unrealistic

I think it was about the time it was starting to become common knowledge how unhealthy lives models live, and how even after all that self abuse their bodies still aren't good enough to not be Photoshoped even thinner in the editing process.
Love, scriver~

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: June 14, 2016, 07:47:29 am »

Not sure what's the problem with flagging that Al Jazeera reporter as a possible terrorist in the first place.

1) Nobody killed him, even though the NSA flagged him as a suspicious person for several years.

2) Contrary to what the populistic narrative says, the NSA knew he was a journalist. the suspicion was that he was both a terrorist and a Journalist.

3) There is still a very high chance that he is indeed a terrorist, or at least an accomplice to terrorists. it wouldn't be the first time a reporter helped terrorists. the article where he defends himself is incoherent ranging from the usual suggestions of conspiracy theories regarding bin laden's death and all the way to "potential political assasination attempt to help the Assad regime".

So, a suspicious reporter, guilty of possessing anti western conspiracy narratives, who is friends with terrorists, working for Al Jazeera, a Salafist network that is anything but objective is crying foul because he was flagged an enemy to the West. LMFAO.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2537 on: June 14, 2016, 12:34:02 pm »

I think it was about the time it was starting to become common knowledge how unhealthy lives models live, and how even after all that self abuse their bodies still aren't good enough to not be Photoshoped even thinner in the editing process.
Are models a monolithic group

Anorexia is not beautiful

Not sure what's the problem with flagging that Al Jazeera reporter as a possible terrorist in the first place.
False positives produce noise and reduce accuracy. They also increase the risk of innocents being targeted, so for example, someone who knew this reporter would be flagged as someone who is friends with a known terrorist, despite them just being friends with a journalist. Even if you support database of dissidents, terrorists and provocateurs, you must at the very least appreciate that the database must be accurate, otherwise you end up jumping at shadows

1) Nobody killed him, even though the NSA flagged him as a suspicious person for several years.
That's not any consolation to any innocent people who were killed because they were suspicious

Also surveillance state issue
Speaking of which
"This software is another step towards a surveillance state," Abed Choudary of the Islamic Human Rights Commission told Al Jazeera.

"If we want to avoid a world in which students are constantly being spied on and encourage youthful curiosity, debate and freedom of speech, then we need to boycott this software," Choudary said.

One political activist told Al Jazeera he was shocked to discover he was listed as an "extremist individual" after his name was featured in a presentation about the software during last week's Impero event.

"What is it that I and other Muslim speakers say that constitutes extremism?" said Raza Nadim, a spokesman for the Muslim Public Affairs Committee UK (MPACUK), a civil liberties organisation that encourages Muslims to become more active in public life.

"MPACUK is one of the most vocal proponents for Muslims getting involved in the democratic process and engaging with the system and finding an outlet for their legitimate anger - and even we are being called extremist. If they have gone after me, then which other Muslim names are on the list? And who is left? Is it the people who agree with the government line?"

I'm not bleeding in my heart or lolbering anywhere and I find this abhorrent. Make a tool that can be used in social engineering, it will be used in social engineering
I can already see how a database of potential violent threats can coincide with the push to redefine online insults as actual violence for example, heck in that article a Muslim kid was questioned over support for ISIS because he was into eco-activism
Any kid who plays CKII is fucked. How many kids will grow up never rolling the Abbasid through Andalusia, how many kids will never make the Ottoman Caliphate great again in ViccyII? You know, say what you will about Sweden, at least they let their Muslims play PI games without flagging them as ISIS supporters

2) Contrary to what the populistic narrative says, the NSA knew he was a journalist. the suspicion was that he was both a terrorist and a Journalist.

3) There is still a very high chance that he is indeed a terrorist, or at least an accomplice to terrorists. it wouldn't be the first time a reporter helped terrorists. the article where he defends himself is incoherent ranging from the usual suggestions of conspiracy theories regarding bin laden's death and all the way to "potential political assasination attempt to help the Assad regime".
Reporters are not meant to take state narratives for granted, that would make them state mouthpieces and completely defeats the purpose of freedom of the press

So, a suspicious reporter, guilty of possessing anti western conspiracy narratives, who is friends with terrorists, working for Al Jazeera, a Salafist network that is anything but objective is crying foul because he was flagged an enemy to the West. LMFAO.
Holy shit, guilty of possessing anti western conspiracy narratives
That literally applies to almost the entire right and left wing of the West

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: June 14, 2016, 12:36:10 pm »

Also, the NSA's algorithm is necessarily like completely terrible due to the extremely small sample of terrorists...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: June 14, 2016, 12:45:22 pm »

So to help NSA, we need to breed more terrorists.

Spawn more Allahlords
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2540 on: June 14, 2016, 12:54:48 pm »

So to help NSA, we need to breed more terrorists.
Spawn more Allahlords
We require more vespene Syrian gas

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2541 on: June 14, 2016, 02:48:15 pm »

Here's what the article provided as an "unrealistic body image":
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: June 14, 2016, 02:53:18 pm »

That's not unrealistic generally, but actually unrealistic for a lot of people.
The problem is with the dominance of one body type.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2543 on: June 14, 2016, 02:54:45 pm »

Tbh with 57% of women in the UK now obese, one wonders if that is now unobtainable for the majority of British women

Nothing can save us from these grimdark fish and chips

The problem with obesity being dominant is that it kills you, if it is dominant for the nation, this kills the nation

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: June 14, 2016, 03:15:28 pm »

I'm not saying obesity isn't a problem (it is a huge problem), but the body type most presented in the media (and there is one body type dominant) is not what most women should strive for to be healthy.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: June 14, 2016, 03:19:46 pm »

Well, that picture do look photoshopped as hell. I wonder how they'll decide what unrealistic.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: June 14, 2016, 03:37:07 pm »

Here's what the article provided as an "unrealistic body image":

Yes; I looked at the article.

Tbh with 57% of women in the UK now obese, one wonders if that is now unobtainable for the majority of British women

Nothing can save us from these grimdark fish and chips

The problem with obesity being dominant is that it kills you, if it is dominant for the nation, this kills the nation

You seem to be of the opinion that being against unhealthy body images equals being "pro-obesity". This is a misconception.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: June 14, 2016, 03:50:51 pm »

Indeed. Being a bit chubby is not unhealthy. In fact it's a sign of good health. Being obese is not healthy, but that's something completely different as having a few pounds more than the average poster model. The girl from the poster, photoshopped or not, is unhealthily skinny. You can almost count all her ribs, her cheeks are collapsed inwards, her eyes pretty deep down the sockets, her hipbones touch the skin.

I you'd take off the bra and slip, shaved off her hair, and turned it into a black and white photo, she'd credibly pass as a concentration camp victim :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:54:34 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2548 on: June 14, 2016, 04:18:51 pm »

I'm not saying obesity isn't a problem (it is a huge problem), but the body type most presented in the media (and there is one body type dominant) is not what most women should strive for to be healthy.
>getting your health advice from adverts
m8 McDonals sells me the bullshit that they have food that counts as 5 a day and I'm not touching that crap

Also can you define this body type, I don't know what you're referring to there

Personally I think we should restrict scantily clad women and oiled up men doing that trouser pose thing on adverts above roadways in order to cut down cyclist deaths and road accidents
Tube adverts should be fine tho

You seem to be of the opinion that being against unhealthy body images equals being "pro-obesity". This is a misconception.
I've only ever seen it be said by obese people complaining about healthism, asking for plus sized models to be on billboards to make them feel better about themselves. When that billboard first entered public controversy it was obese people complaining about it, when Jamelia from Loose Women said being obese wasn't healthy and that obese women should not be role models for young women she was harassed for fat shaming, and I lost faith in humanity when I sat through 15 minutes of an obese lady trying to tell a doctor she was fine on BBC morning news
In the UK, the two great debates concerning girls and body image (at least from the health point of view) is how to deal with obese Britain, and how to deal with declining smoking rates in all demographics except young girls who've been sold the message that smoking is sexy
Oh yeah, and there was Dove a while back who did a "no air-brush" advertising campaign, but everyone got bored of that. It'd be interesting to see if Dove's campaign made them loads of profit, I might check on that

Indeed. Being a bit chubby is not unhealthy. In fact it's a sign of good health. Being obese is not healthy, but that's something completely different as having a few pounds more than the average poster model. The girl from the poster, photoshopped or not, is unhealthily skinny. You can almost count all her ribs, her cheeks are collapsed inwards, her eyes pretty deep down the sockets.
Being a "bit chubby" has had it definition considerably stretched. The person from the poster is not unhealthily skinny and your analysis of her is emblematic in many regards. If this is about body types, please learn about the diversity of bodies before attacking someone for their genetics - not all fat is distributed in everyone's bodies in the same places, this is true for men, this is especially true for women (resulting in even more variance!). That model is Renee Somerfield, and she is a very healthy Vegan - one of the few the world has ever seen (ayyyyo). Seeing ribs is normal and I'm actually... Stunned, out of all the people in the world I've ever known who couldn't count their ribs who weren't overweight, that one was a bodybuilder who worked out to much. Seems as well, taller, lankier people and people with slim frames will always be able to count their ribs, like even I could get obese and the weight would go to my legs and guts and I'd still be counting ribs
You've not seen sunken eyes, and my fucking sides "collapsed cheeks"
Defined cheekbones aren't even unhealthy, they're gorgeous rarities of good genes xD
At any rate I've not seen any evidence to see sunken eyes or rib counting being unhealthy and the NHS had nothing to say on sunken eyes, cheekbones, and on rib counting it depends on where your fat is distributed in your body and how fat you are. Given how fit Renee is, she doesn't have excess and what she does have is mostly concentrated at breast and thigh level, whereas the rest of her body is toned muscle.
Seriously when did healthy become unhealthy lol
I suppose this is more of an issue of a very angry minority who hate ectomorphs

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: June 14, 2016, 08:28:40 pm »

Uh, I see her shoulder blades, wtfskeletor, go back to death Mountain with the other unhealthy vegan maniacs. Now excuse me while I go eat bacon and cry.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 793