Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008212 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #3360 on: July 23, 2016, 11:46:12 pm »

Spoiler: The master of tomorrow (click to show/hide)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: July 24, 2016, 03:02:10 am »

Why does he have one asian coloured arm and one caucasian coloured arm?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3363 on: July 24, 2016, 03:12:43 am »

I don't think people are that light in Georgia
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: July 24, 2016, 03:28:58 am »

There's some countries where everyone carries guns

I hear they aren't doing too well

Something about warlords or fear or poverty or something I don't really remember
The wartorn wastelands of Switzerland and Israel
And Nigeria and the Congo and Sudan and

Israel is pretty wartorn though. All that palestine, ya know. And Switzerland everyone has guns, not everyone carries them.

I'm talking 'bout open carry mandatory or get shot

To clarify: Everyone with guns make it uncertain who wins the fight. When it's uncertain who wins the fight, you have to actually have the fight, the little guy doesn't just look at the big guys biceps and backs off even after a drink or three. Or if he does, it's just a punch in the face, it's not a shot to the gut. Gun laws are fine. But you don't need them with you all the time everywhere anyway. Off-duty cops and shit will sometimes be able to stop bad people with guns who start shit. Afaik, regular people have yet to do that in such a situation.
Are you seriously advocating hierarchy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: July 24, 2016, 03:37:06 am »

As opposed to anarchy, yes.

As opposed to equality, no.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: July 24, 2016, 05:49:18 am »

Oh, I'm fairly certain that's the case. I just think it goes to show that it's not exactly a causative effect of everyone has guns so society is peaceful and respectful, like I've heard some people (including friends of mine) tell me. When society is stable, you can let people have guns because you know they'll be responsible with them.
It also goes to show that a disarmed populace is incapable of stopping its own government from running a genocide on them

I have yet to see the first case of an armed population stopping a government run genocide.

In fact history has shown that it is pretty trivial for a government to disarm the population before commencing with such deeds.

Nazi Germany was saturated with guns in 1933, there were paramilitary Vreikorps everywhere, most of them handed in their weapons freely because they SUPPORTED Hitler's rise to power. Not that it would have mattered because an active insurgency would have only sped up Hitler's rise to power like the coup does for Erdogan.

Then we have states like the Soviet union and the peoples republic of China that came into power BECAUSE the people rose up and overthrew the previous rulers, I am not really sure how arming the population would have prevented the population from overthrowing their rulers. It was once again trivial to remove those who opposed from society.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: July 24, 2016, 06:05:43 am »

On Czech Republic: one cant just walk into a store and buy a gun there either. Firearm laws are the laxest in Europe but people still need licenses.

I'm not sure if I wanted to live in a society where firearms are available to literally everyone and where that right was also widely used. The situation in for example many(but certainly not all) US states is that not arming oneself is not the norm. Issues with people within a society or perception of such issues(creating the need to being armed and carrying) shouldn't IMHO become such that people arming against each other becomes the norm and leaving outside of that(not arming oneself) the exception.

That said what I do recognize firearms helping with is equalization: a weak woman with a firearm has equal power to a strong man with the same firearm, assuming similar lever of practice in using it and the right mindset ie. the will to use the weapon if true need arises. A firearm can potentially save the day be it preventing the situation from escalating or killing the bad guy long before the cops, who usually get to just respond to what has already happened, arrive.

Also yet again we are talking for the 3rd page about firearm laws when the tool used was a firearm. We didn't talk about trucks after Nice. Its mostly a people problem, not tools problem, although some tools shouldn't be available for everyone. And they aren't, hence the once again illegal firearm.

Oh, I'm fairly certain that's the case. I just think it goes to show that it's not exactly a causative effect of everyone has guns so society is peaceful and respectful, like I've heard some people (including friends of mine) tell me. When society is stable, you can let people have guns because you know they'll be responsible with them.
It also goes to show that a disarmed populace is incapable of stopping its own government from running a genocide on them

I have yet to see the first case of an armed population stopping a government run genocide.

In fact history has shown that it is pretty trivial for a government to disarm the population before commencing with such deeds.

Nazi Germany was saturated with guns in 1933, there were paramilitary Vreikorps everywhere, most of them handed in their weapons freely because they SUPPORTED Hitler's rise to power. Not that it would have mattered because an active insurgency would have only sped up Hitler's rise to power like the coup does for Erdogan.

Then we have states like the Soviet union and the peoples republic of China that came into power BECAUSE the people rose up and overthrew the previous rulers, I am not really sure how arming the population would have prevented the population from overthrowing their rulers. It was once again trivial to remove those who opposed from society.

They did just recently fail in disarming people in Belgium. Closer to a million firearms went missing. Not that I think Belgium is about to genocide anyone.  :)

In totalitarian/communist nations it has been/is typically very difficult to acquire a gun. Nazi Germany is one of the few exceptions. Those nations are pretty good at making sure no individual can resist and the people cant revolt and overthrow the revolutionaries... But can be send to Siberia on a train. At gunpoint.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: July 24, 2016, 06:59:08 am »

I think that's supposed to be the cat's tail, not sure.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: July 24, 2016, 08:30:01 am »

While the German government is holding a meeting discussing if gun laws should be adjusted, german police reports that the Munich shooter bought his gun illegally over the internet.

No gun law gun change that. Only thing to prevent that is to forbid all online delivery services (not gonna happen, people want their online sevices plus E-bay and Amazon would sue Germany into bankruptcy if they did that), massively invest in high tech scanning systems at the mail sorting offices (expect big increase in cost of mailing things. Probably not gonna happen, privatized mail services don't like to make huge investments like that) or open all and everyone's mail physically to see if there's gun parts in it (don't expect your mail to be delivered with 24h anymore. A week sounds more reasonable. Never gonna happen, realtime economy demands quick mail service. It would fix unemployment issues though. Just make every unemployed German work at the secret mail opening service).

Police also reports that the shooter has been preparing his action for a year. He wrote a manifesto, just like Breivik did. He visited the site of the Baden-Württemberg shooting. Police found him on pictures taken there. His facebook profile had a large picture of Breivik. Police strongly suspect the shooting is linked to Breivik, as it took place at the 5th year anniversary of the Utoya shooting.

So I guess this was not an islam terrorist, but an anti-islam terrorist.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 08:40:13 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: July 24, 2016, 08:45:54 am »

Police also reports that the shooter has been preparing his action for a year. He wrote a manifesto, just like Breivik did. He visited the site of the Baden-Württemberg shooting. Police found him on pictures taken there. His facebook profile had a large picture of Breivik. Police strongly suspect the shooting is linked to Breivik, as it took place at the 5th year anniversary of the Utoya shooting.

So I guess this was not an islam terrorist, but an anti-islam terrorist.

With a side of school-shooting type rage since apparently most of the people he targeted were people around his age. Or maybe the anti-islam terrorist is a side to this. Seems to be something that doesn't quite fit into one category or another, but it was definetly terrorism by the very definition.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3371 on: July 24, 2016, 08:52:19 am »

Jaundice in one arm

History has shown that in order to genocide a people you must first disarm them lol
That's a funny way of spinning things

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: July 24, 2016, 09:55:33 am »

Jaundice in one arm

History has shown that in order to genocide a people you must first disarm them lol
That's a funny way of spinning things

The actual effect is that arming people does jack shit to prevent war crimes.

No resistance group has ever stopped a genocide perpetrated by their own government.

The resistance groups that fought in WW2 achieved some success (at a huge cost) but that was against a foreign invader that was simultaneously involved in a world war.

You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: July 24, 2016, 10:16:56 am »

The whole point of bearing arms in case of tyrannical government(while actually never practicing for that, instead using for self defense or sports, pistols are shitty firearms for a two-way shooting contest any way) doesn't work in Europe. Europeans don't have the right to bear arms for the formation of militia and against foreign aggression there are professional armies and NATO.

Not saying its good or the right way, but thats how it is: for Europeans, guns are for varmint control, sports, hunting, and in some countries self defense(Estonia, Czech Republic, Hungary) and reservists(Estonia, Finland, Switzerland, Norway at least). Military personnel also are mostly professionals, only few countries are left with a conscript army that would be difficult for a government turned evil to use against their own people. Europeans really do trust their democracies.

Many European countries even have restricted access to weapons using "military" calibers(.223 rem, .308 win and so forth) such as France, Spain and Italy. Thus, the legislation is such that even those that do have firearms of any kind have mostly incompatible ammo with military weapons. Ammo availability is thus easier to control or restrain if needed, and most guns are registered any way so their owners are whereabouts are more or less known.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: July 24, 2016, 10:51:47 am »

You mean that being mixed-race doesn't work like that?

On Czech Republic: one cant just walk into a store and buy a gun there either. Firearm laws are the laxest in Europe but people still need licenses.
Store, no. But that also makes it easier for them to fall off the truck, officer, I swear, and other things like that. And when you're planning to murder a bunch of random guys you probably aren't too concerned whether the gun you use for it is legal.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 793