Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008371 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5025 on: March 03, 2017, 11:04:32 am »

Is it?
Yes

The "offence" date from December 2015. The request for removing immunity was sent ten months lates in October of last year. It just seems like bureaucracy moving slowly to me.
Edit: The Parliamentary Committee statement got a timeline (Section "Facts"). Looking at it it seems that they started invesitgating the thing straightaway back last year, but Le Pen stalled for time by refusing to be interrogated by police, claiming she'd only answer to a judge, then refusing to appear in court claiming her immunity protected her and so on and so on.
Edit2: Apparently the two deputy campaign manager of Fillion resigned over his decision not to suspend his campaign.
The offence being considered is "publishing violent images", which under certain circumstances can carry a penalty of three years in prison and a fine of 75,000 euros ($78,930).
She has denounced the legal proceedings against her as political interference in the campaign and called for a moratorium on judicial investigations until the election period has passed.
Le Pen has already seen her earnings as MEP cut for a different case involving alleged misuse of EU funds.
Polls say Le Pen will win the first of the two election rounds but lose in the runoff. They also show that her legal battles seem to have little effect on her supporters.
The vote on Thursday by a large show of hands in the plenary of the EU Parliament confirmed a preliminary decision taken on Tuesday by the legal affairs committee of the EU legislature.
In the report underpinning parliament's decision, eurosceptic 5 Star Movement lawmaker Laura Ferrara said that although the images posted by Le Pen were easily accessible on several websites, "this does not alter the fact that their violent nature is likely to undermine human dignity".
Le Pen's move was seen as not appropriate for a member of the European Parliament, the report said.
You seem to be mistaken thinking I am concerned that the EU moves at a slow pace when punishing political dissidents for publishing IS executions in a devastating assault on freedom of expression. I am not concerned with their slow pace; I am concerned that they find this not only acceptable, but the majority enact it on principle as if this is to be an expected normal. But nah, it's her fault for refusing to be interrogated by police for doing nothing wrong. Good Lord how Europe has slid into authoritarianism while championing liberality is beyond me.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: March 03, 2017, 11:06:55 pm »

Women are ‘smaller, weaker, less intelligent’ and should be paid less, says right-wing Polish MEP.

Here's video of the incident. It seems that there weren't many people present in European Parliament at the time, which is why I guess this person got to the tribune. Still, crazy stuff.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: March 03, 2017, 11:16:53 pm »

Oh, this is hilarious. So that MEP from the speech, Janusz Korwin-Mikke, he's the leader of his own party KORWiN. Yes, it's a backronym of his own name. But not only that! Because this party is split from the Congress of the New Right, a party that Korwin was ousted from for being too right wing. And he's the founder of the Congress of the New Right.

You can't make this shit up! Somebody needs to go ahead and revive the Polish Beer-Lovers Party, their all time record for greatest political satire is in danger.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5028 on: March 04, 2017, 08:35:48 am »

Classic Polan

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5029 on: March 05, 2017, 04:19:45 am »

Eh, at this point Korwin is a joke and should be treated as such. There was a time when he actually tried, I suppose, and while even then his views of gender equality weren't great, he wasn't so bad. He finally became a meme, due to, being, well, memetic, with the moustache and right-wing approach to life, with dozens of funny songs about him and stuff, but ultimately as far as MEP goes - he literally said he's going there to just get cash and try to explode EU or at least get Poland kicked out of it (since he's also anti-EU). He's keeping his promise, but yeah...
Oh, and he also tried to become president not so long ago. In a nutshell, he's kind of a Polish Trump, except without things that made Trump succesful, although suprisingly his policies weren't that bad and suprisingly mild, but he still didin't won and since then he went full-on troll mode.
Or it might be just his old age getting to him, he's 72.

As far as politics go, Poland is really depresingly funny at times.
All Hail Kjng Korwin!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:22:35 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: March 05, 2017, 01:33:16 pm »

korwin doesnt do much these days, just shitpost
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5031 on: March 05, 2017, 06:43:21 pm »

I appreciate Korwin for walking into the EU parliament and making everyone angry 100% of the time. Polish salt mines are evidently still a world leading industry

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: March 07, 2017, 11:24:57 am »

Is it?
Yes

The "offence" date from December 2015. The request for removing immunity was sent ten months lates in October of last year. It just seems like bureaucracy moving slowly to me.
Edit: The Parliamentary Committee statement got a timeline (Section "Facts"). Looking at it it seems that they started invesitgating the thing straightaway back last year, but Le Pen stalled for time by refusing to be interrogated by police, claiming she'd only answer to a judge, then refusing to appear in court claiming her immunity protected her and so on and so on.
Edit2: Apparently the two deputy campaign manager of Fillion resigned over his decision not to suspend his campaign.
The offence being considered is "publishing violent images", which under certain circumstances can carry a penalty of three years in prison and a fine of 75,000 euros ($78,930).
She has denounced the legal proceedings against her as political interference in the campaign and called for a moratorium on judicial investigations until the election period has passed.
Le Pen has already seen her earnings as MEP cut for a different case involving alleged misuse of EU funds.
Polls say Le Pen will win the first of the two election rounds but lose in the runoff. They also show that her legal battles seem to have little effect on her supporters.
The vote on Thursday by a large show of hands in the plenary of the EU Parliament confirmed a preliminary decision taken on Tuesday by the legal affairs committee of the EU legislature.
In the report underpinning parliament's decision, eurosceptic 5 Star Movement lawmaker Laura Ferrara said that although the images posted by Le Pen were easily accessible on several websites, "this does not alter the fact that their violent nature is likely to undermine human dignity".
Le Pen's move was seen as not appropriate for a member of the European Parliament, the report said.
You seem to be mistaken thinking I am concerned that the EU moves at a slow pace when punishing political dissidents for publishing IS executions in a devastating assault on freedom of expression. I am not concerned with their slow pace; I am concerned that they find this not only acceptable, but the majority enact it on principle as if this is to be an expected normal. But nah, it's her fault for refusing to be interrogated by police for doing nothing wrong. Good Lord how Europe has slid into authoritarianism while championing liberality is beyond me.

The EU did not punish anyone! For fuck's sake, it's a French law and French judge. Since it's apparently standard procedure for the EP to lift immunity for most crimes unless related to the MEP's job why would they make an exception. Yes, it's a stupid law. But it is not EU law. It's French law. That's what national sovereignty look like, you should be enjoying this.

Also, you made specific claims related to the timing of the decision:

I don't think it's basic incompetence given the timing and the target in question, seems like politically motivated incompetence

Then you're basically insulting my intelligence by ignoring the data I provided stating that the French justice system didn't try to act to get this happening right before the election, instead posting a quote from that article which has no bearing on it as if I was unable to follow your goddamn link.

So I'm just going to repeat my point once more: The case against Le Pen is a french case under french law. That law is retarded. It's not normal that France prosecute this shit. But it's normal that the EP lets the justice system do its job.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: March 07, 2017, 11:43:28 am »

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:46:08 am by smjjames »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: March 07, 2017, 11:48:40 am »

Sorry to distract from the current rant/discussion, but....

How the hell does a rhino in an EUROPEAN (French to be specific) zoo of all places get poached??

Zoos don't actually have all that great security, not something they generally need. Plenty of incidents of drunk/stupid people climbing into animal cages, especially at night, to demonstrate that.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: March 07, 2017, 12:09:22 pm »

Sorry to distract from the current rant/discussion, but....

How the hell does a rhino in an EUROPEAN (French to be specific) zoo of all places get poached??
Damn, that's just horrible. I guess we need the WWF to send armed zoo guards.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: March 07, 2017, 02:52:26 pm »

More likely, inside job. Friends (or "friends") of somebody who works there.
Love, scriver~

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: March 07, 2017, 03:33:28 pm »

More likely, inside job. Friends (or "friends") of somebody who works there.

It's not that hard to break into a zoo, they cover quite an area so there is almost certainly a way over the fence.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: March 07, 2017, 06:30:51 pm »

Hungarian government has decided, supported by a vast parliamentary majority vote, that it will start the construction of container detention camps at the Serbian border. All refugees, including children will be locked up in containers there, for the duration of their asylum procedure.
Hungarian president Viktor Orbán says it is nescessary to do so, "to protect Europe". According to Orbán, immigration is "terrorism's Trojan horse, threatening his country, and Christian values across all of Europe".

Amnesty International has called it a "flagrant breach of international law", and has urged the EU to hold it's member state accountable for the 'illegal and inhumane actions'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: March 07, 2017, 06:59:31 pm »

Saying 'locked up in containers' makes it sound a LOT like a concentration camp..... or maybe a jail.

It may just be the wording that makes it sound bad, but without more details on conditions and stuff, pretty hard to tell where on the line it is between a refugee camp, a jail, and a concentration camp.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 793