Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002030 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5655 on: April 29, 2017, 04:06:41 pm »

Since Turkey is kind of relevant with their ties to the EU, and I can't recall any thread where it'd be more appropriate:

Turkey has blocked Wikipedia without giving a reason (But apparently they asked Wikipedia to remove content "supporting terror"(which, being Turkey, likely means "The truth")).
What I've heard, Turkey did not ask wikipedia to remove content "supporting terror", they asked wikipedia to remove any of their pages that imply in any way that Turkey supports, or has supported terrorism. When wikipedia denied that, they decided to block all wikipedia pages.
Turks interviewed on the street however say this is not the right way to go about things, and seem convinced the ban will be lifted before too long, when the government realizes this won't work.

I've only been through Schiphol a few times, is the security stuff at the gates a regular thing, or just for people at the airport switching flights? If you know, anyway...
No idea, the last time I used Schiphol must be over 20 years ago. This was back in another reality timeline, before 9/11.
Nowadays, I would fly Schiphol, if only I could afford a train ticket to Amsterdam. It's crazy. A pricefighter airline retour ticket to Barcelona, or Rome, taking off from the airport at my home town, is cheaper than a train retour ticket to Amsterdam. (I've seen retour flights to Barcelona for 35 euros, airport tax included, a retour ticket for the train to Amsterdam is nearly 50 euros, unless you have a membership card. which takes 40% off all prices). Yes, flying 2000km is cheaper than 100km of train ticket.

EDIT: I would go protest against this crime against the environment if I could afford the train ticket to go protest in Amsterdam.
How to stop democratic protests against the government? Simple, make people no longer be able to afford the transportation the the important places of protest.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 04:18:20 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: April 29, 2017, 07:28:07 pm »

Since Turkey is kind of relevant with their ties to the EU, and I can't recall any thread where it'd be more appropriate:

Turkey has blocked Wikipedia without giving a reason (But apparently they asked Wikipedia to remove content "supporting terror"(which, being Turkey, likely means "The truth")).
What I've heard, Turkey did not ask wikipedia to remove content "supporting terror", they asked wikipedia to remove any of their pages that imply in any way that Turkey supports, or has supported terrorism. When wikipedia denied that, they decided to block all wikipedia pages.
Turks interviewed on the street however say this is not the right way to go about things, and seem convinced the ban will be lifted before too long, when the government realizes this won't work.

Given Wikipedias track record, did they really think Wikipedia would actually comply?

In other Europe news, Montenegro has ratified NATO membership and will become a full member in June.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:08:44 pm by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: April 29, 2017, 08:57:47 pm »

._.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: April 29, 2017, 10:03:26 pm »

In other Europe news, Montenegro has ratified NATO membership and will become a full member in June.
Obviously this means that Russia will start a war in May.
And do what? Annex Montenegro? Kaliningrad on the Adriatic? Not that annexation would make things much worse, honestly.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: April 29, 2017, 10:16:36 pm »

It's also TINY. It joining NATO is more about safety in a group than providing firepower. At least that's how I see it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: April 30, 2017, 02:29:30 pm »

Next, after wikipedia, Turkey has now banned dating shows on radio and television.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: April 30, 2017, 02:33:59 pm »

Next, after wikipedia, Turkey has now banned dating shows on radio and television.

Yeah, something about some of them not meeting conservative Islamic values and the sancity of marriage.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: April 30, 2017, 05:30:15 pm »

Yep, Turkey is going full speed towards a typical pseudo-theocratic Middle Eastern shithole. The backwards rurals have multiplied and radicalized in place, and thus have seized power through force of numbers. No saving it now.
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: May 01, 2017, 02:16:34 am »

Heh, Le Pen, in a desperate attempt to please more voters, has shifted her stance from being against the EU and against the Euro to pro-EU and no longer anti-euro.
"I feel European", she said, and "getting back the French franc is no longer a nescessary condition for my economic policy".

Dayum, that 180. Next, before you know, she'll be denying the holocaust after all.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: May 01, 2017, 02:42:56 am »

Fucking what. Did a fragment of 2016 from a burst timeline rewrite part of Le Pen's brain or something? I thought Euroskepticism was among her base issues.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: May 01, 2017, 02:44:17 am »

Now she's euroskepticism-lite.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: May 01, 2017, 03:23:58 am »

Wat.

I'll believe it when she renames her party to European Front.

United Forenia Forever!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5667 on: May 01, 2017, 04:25:40 am »

Le Pen spins me right round, baby~

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: May 01, 2017, 05:10:24 am »

Well, it's only fitting, since Macron has decided swing the other way just now. What even are French politics.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: May 01, 2017, 05:18:49 am »

Edit: like I said, pinch of salt. As it turns out...

The headline is very misleading. Look at the actual quote:

"So I do consider that my mandate, the day after, will be at the same time to reform in depth the European Union and our European project."
Mr Macron added that if he were to allow the EU to continue to function as it was would be a "betrayal".
"And I don't want to do so," he said. "Because the day after, we will have a Frexit or we will have [Ms Le Pen's] National Front (FN) again.""

So he's concerned about Le Pen and similar people gaining momentum if the EU doesnt reform itself.

I... tend to agree, in principle at least. I'm not too fond of the EU because of it's treatment of those in Southern Europe, particularily Greece. However, I also know of many instances where the EU has helped enact fairer labor laws. And I'm concerned that a break orchestrated by the likes of Farage or Le Pen will only lead to adch-conservatism, and a delliberate undermining of the welfare state. I suspect that's part of the plan, even, and I think it should be a major concern, PARTICULARILY if you are in favor of Brexit, because odds are that neocon politicians are planning to use it as an excuse to do exactly this. 

I think those of you in the UK should be particularily militant and watchful for cuts to the NHS (direct or indirect), worker's rights, and research and development. Odds are that they will try to sell those to you as "optimization", "necessary sacrifices", or heaven knows what.

And those of you in Europe should be watchful for the same, in case these calls for reform actually hide "reform into an even shittier EU".  Beware any measure that affects worker's rights, beware calls for austerity, beware the 'two speeds Europe'. Any and all of these can actually hide the same agenda that neocons doubtlessly have for the UK.

I have this suspicion that what we endured around 2010 was just the drizzle and now the storm is arriving.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:35:00 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 793