Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008327 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5790 on: May 19, 2017, 04:18:51 pm »

Wilder's PVV, desperate to be included in government formation talks, has also added green energy to his party program. He thinks that by installing treadmills in refugee centers, half of Amsterdam can be powered. After hearing this, the left parties went nuclear. /satire

EDIT: historical fact: during WW2, the Dutch resistance movements commonly used treadmills, in the form of standard-mounted bicycles with a dynamo, to power their radios and listen to British radio.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:25:52 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: May 20, 2017, 03:10:55 am »

Dutch government has decided to go protectionism. They want to add a consideration term to hostile foreign takeovers. When foreign investors try to acquire a large Dutch company through hostile takeover, the new proposed law gives the company a year respite to come up with alternatives.
Recent attempts by PPG to take over Akzo Nobel, and earlier attempts by I think it was Belgacom, to take over KPN prompted them to take this action.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5792 on: May 20, 2017, 03:53:06 am »

The only differences between the all-the-same wood and canvas windmills and the all-the-same metal and carbon fiber windmills is that the latter are newer and produce useful amounts of energy.

And that the all-the-same wood and canvas windmills look nice!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: May 20, 2017, 08:07:31 am »

Hey, the new ones do too. They're kinda the modern equivalent of 19th century railroads and steam locomotives: You could consider them a modernist atrocity destroying the picture you're accustomed to, or you could see them as symbols of innovation, progress, and bold steps towards the future.

In contrast, when I see an old-school windmill, it reminds me of the hard and gruesome times we have only recently left behind. It reminds me of more than half the population working the land just to feed everyone, of oppressive social hierarchies, of high infant mortality and death by now-trivial infections. Also it reminds me of all the damage unreflected romanticism continues to inflict every day.

You like the way the old-style windmills look? That's fine. But whenever you see one, remember that the folks who built it would've vastly preferred a modern one.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5794 on: May 20, 2017, 08:18:38 am »

Oh, I realise they're worth the tradeoff. That's not what I was saying, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: May 20, 2017, 10:35:57 am »

I don't even understand why you call them kills when they have nothing to do with meal. We just call them wind power works.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: May 20, 2017, 11:17:43 am »

We call them aerogenerators
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: May 20, 2017, 12:40:33 pm »

... see, if you look at those two terms, and then look at windmill, it should be somewhat obvious why no one's really bothered something entirely appropriate for their better modern use. You can say 'em, too. Windmill: One compound word, two syllables. Compare to aerogenerator, a compound word with... up to six or seven syllables, depending on intonation, or wind power works, three words, three to four (depending on how badly you slur power) syllables. Sufficiently equal functionality, less time and effort. Unsurprisingly, the superior term resists replacement.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: May 20, 2017, 12:55:39 pm »

... see, if you look at those two terms, and then look at windmill, it should be somewhat obvious why no one's really bothered something entirely appropriate for their better modern use. 
Speak for yourself, peasant. My esteemed colleague and I keep a higher standard of lexicon as befitting our exalted status.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: May 20, 2017, 01:01:42 pm »

The formal term is "wind turbine" in the industry, which does follow the naming scheme since instead of milling it turns a turbine.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: May 20, 2017, 01:14:23 pm »

The only differences between the all-the-same wood and canvas windmills and the all-the-same metal and carbon fiber windmills is that the latter are newer and produce useful amounts of energy.

And that the all-the-same wood and canvas windmills look nice!
What if they were painted?
Cause so far as I can tell, they all need a paint/corrosion resistant layer, they're just uniform because they're utility infrastructure cranked out in large numbers and so they don't want to put custom designs on each one/over-complicate production lines. Images such as the one towards the bottom of this page: https://www.siemens.com/global/en/home/markets/wind/turbines-and-services/technology/blades.html
Show some variations with red striped tips painted on; so aside from increased manufacturing costs of a complicated paint line, it should be doable. And apparently there's even research suggesting that painting them purple could keep insects from gathering near them, reducing bird and bat death: https://cleantechnica.com/2014/11/19/painting-wind-turbines-purple-will-save-wildlife-make-opponents-angrier/

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: May 20, 2017, 01:20:09 pm »

Propellers-on-a-stick are terrible aeroflugzeugwindpowerturbinegeneratormill designs.

Drag-type turbine designs, on the other hand, are totally radical jabrowszki.

EDIT: Also if we dye the canvas with graphene the drag turbines become solar panels & water condensers. If the steel holding the canvas is made with graphene it will be stainless & magnetized, meaning it will also be an induction motor.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 01:22:26 pm by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: May 20, 2017, 01:55:49 pm »

If the steel holding the canvas is made with graphene
Huh?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: May 20, 2017, 02:10:53 pm »

If the steel holding the canvas is made with graphene
Huh?

We normally use plain carbon to make steel. If we crystallize it before we add it to the iron in the forge we're going to have better steel.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: May 20, 2017, 02:48:58 pm »

Do you have a citation for that? I doubt that the molecular structure of graphene is going to survive being dumped into molten steel.

Also 'crystallize' is not the right term - graphene isn't crystallized carbon, it's just a certain allotrope of the stuff.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 793