Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002049 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6015 on: June 08, 2017, 01:47:31 am »

Maybe they realised it's pointless to outlaw guns when all criminals use is illegal guns from the Balkan black market.
Love, scriver~

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: June 08, 2017, 01:55:04 am »

Maybe they realised it's pointless to outlaw guns when all criminals use is illegal guns from the Balkan black market.

They didnt, the parliament just refused their proposals and the negotiated "compromise" included none of them. EU/Commission does have at least two research projects on illegal guns and their trafficing and IIRC they both think that the largest sources of new illegal guns are poorly deactivated guns being reactivated way or another and imports from outside the Schengen area. But out of the already existing pool of illegal guns by far the most are from former Warsaw Pact and former Yugoslavia, yeah.

Only thing that will become stricter is that the combination of over 10 round magazine and semi auto rifle will be a class higher and thus illegal for non-sports, non-reservists. So basically just hunters. Also deactivation rules will be enforced across the Union so Slovakia's piss poor standards that allow anyone with basic tools to reactivate their guns will be fixed.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: June 08, 2017, 03:50:33 am »

But for some reason terrorists go for knifes and hammers lately.....
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: June 08, 2017, 04:19:27 am »

But for some reason terrorists go for knifes and hammers lately.....
Thats very, very likely just the combination of UK's very strict gun laws and associated ridiculous bureucracy and paper work, as well as cash, required to acquire a gun legally as well as the thing that most Jihadists seem to be idiots.

Theres multiple countries within EU that basically allow purchase of some kind of firearms from a hardware store with just an ID or an easy to acquire gun permit/license(and so far almost all terrorists have been 2nd gen immigrants), but those types of guns are yet to be used in terror attacks. Break action shotguns/rifles and rimfires mainly.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: June 08, 2017, 07:34:32 am »

The European parliament and the European commission are at each others throats over the road toll laws in Germany.
While the EU parliament had voted againt these, the EU commission now sides with Germany, and will allow Germany to start asking toll fares for using the Autobahn on the first of january 2019.

The issue the EU parliament had with the law, is that Germany compensates it's own citizens for the tolls. In practice that means, that only foreigners will pay the tolls. According to the EU parliament, this is unlawful discrimination, which is why they voted against earlier.

The EU parliament has now demanded that the EU commission explains itself and come with a statement as to why they allow Germany to proceed with the new law.
Austria has made it known that they will sue Germany in court if the law takes effect.

The Dutch parliament passed a bill with a vast majority last tuesday, that orders the government to take every possible action to stop the new German law, and to join Austria in the lawsuit. The Dutch demissionary government however says it wants to wait and hear what the EU commission has to say.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:49:52 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: June 08, 2017, 07:48:13 am »

And the damn toll was just a populist vote grab by our dear Bavarian conservatives in the first place. Germany doesn't even really want it - especially the border regions, which will be the most affected.

Really we should just be getting rid of tolls EU-wide.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: June 08, 2017, 07:53:02 am »

And the damn toll was just a populist vote grab by our dear Bavarian conservatives in the first place. Germany doesn't even really want it - especially the border regions, which will be the most affected.

Really we should just be getting rid of tolls EU-wide.
Indeed the toll laws will hurt the border region business in Germany badly. Many people living in the border region of the Netherlands for example now cross the border to get petrol in Germany, because it's a few cents cheaper per liter. They will stop doing that once the toll laws are passed, because it will no longer be cheaper to refuel in Germany. Border petrol stations in Germany are expected to go bankrupt over it, for the border traffic makes up such a significant part of their income, and at the same time the German treasury will suffer for the loss of excise tax.

Some of the larger European transport companies have also already said they will rerout their cargo trucks to avoid Germany if the toll laws are passed (although this is probably a minor effect, since a lot of transport really cannot avoid Germany without making 1000km detours)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:56:32 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: June 08, 2017, 08:03:29 am »

Sounds like Europe will only benefit from the new German toll then.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: June 08, 2017, 08:09:14 am »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: June 08, 2017, 08:14:17 am »

Today a 14-year old boy that was arrested on suspicion of killing one of the two 14 year old girls that were found relatively close to each other last week in the Netherlands, has just confessed after 4 days of interrogation that he raped and killed the girl.

For the other murder, another boy, aged 16 has been arrested on suspicion of involvement in her death.

So apparently it's not a serial killed after all. Equally horrible though, kids raping and killing kids.
Sad.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6025 on: June 08, 2017, 09:06:08 am »

4 days of interrogations on a 14-years old? Jeez.

Re: toll, I'm not against them on principle. It kinda make sense ot charge users for road use.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6026 on: June 08, 2017, 09:27:58 am »

We already do that. It's called gasoline tax.

Sounds like Europe will only benefit from the new German toll then.
Please, do indulge me: How exactly are decreased mobility in border areas and bankrupt petrol stations beneficial to Europe? I'd be very interested to understand why that is.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6027 on: June 08, 2017, 09:31:37 am »

No, no, bankrupt German gas stations. Dutch gas stations will do just fine, and the Dutch state will get more tax revenue too. It's a win-win situation!
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6028 on: June 08, 2017, 09:41:14 am »

But that also crimps CO2 emissions, so tolls are annoying but they're not all bad in terms of outcomes.

However they should make it a clear system and have it that electric vehicles get a toll exemption.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: June 08, 2017, 10:29:01 am »

4 days of interrogations on a 14-years old? Jeez.

Quite sure that would not have been uninterrupted 4 days. Just that he was arrested 4 days ago and has been interrogated every day. Don't know exactly what the law says on it, but I don't think that's more than 2 or 4h per day, with parents or child counselor present, considering his age.

No, no, bankrupt German gas stations. Dutch gas stations will do just fine, and the Dutch state will get more tax revenue too. It's a win-win situation!

The German treasury might lose on the excise in border regions, but it will gain much more from tolls on freight traffic. Same goes the other way around. Dutch border petrol stations will benefit, but Dutch economy will suffer because transport costs for Dutch companies go up.

The troll toll video was kind of spot on. Germany knows that nearly all of Europe's freight traffic passes through Germany, because there is not other route. It's like a troll standing on the only bridge across a river and demanding troll toll indeed.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:33:00 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 793