Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008126 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6060 on: June 11, 2017, 07:24:37 am »

It isn't said that he can't be put back in psych ward after being released. He just can't be convicted to it for this crime. If after his release, child protective services, or his psychiatrist deem him a threat to society, they can ask a judge to put him back in psych ward again (as they can do to any child, regardless of prior convictions).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 07:27:28 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: June 11, 2017, 07:28:23 am »

But only until he's 18?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: June 11, 2017, 07:30:04 am »

I mistake you two because your avatars look similar

Anyway, dealing with juvenile delimquents is a problem everywhere. Its hard to draw the line between too mild and too harsh
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: June 11, 2017, 07:33:29 am »

But only until he's 18?
Well, any person, regardless of age, can be forcibly admitted, if a psychiatric evaluation deems the person a threat to himself or others. At 18 though, his criminal record is deleted.

So imagine, when he is 17, and his psychiatrists asks a judge to have him admitted to a psych ward, he can include the argument 'he raped and killed a girl when he was 14' in the court hearing that will decide if he needs to be admitted.

But when he's 18, it's illegal to use that argument any longer, and any request for admission will need to be weighed only against his behaviour since he turned 18.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: June 11, 2017, 07:37:51 am »

That doesnt make much sense.  Arguably psych admission is a medical issue, not a penal one, and that record ought to stay
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: June 11, 2017, 07:44:55 am »

It's a legally complex issue. Forced admission in a closed institution is a restriction on the Freedom of Movement, and thus needs to be weighed by a judge.
The decision to take things to court though is made by the medical professional, and I am sure the medical professional will use the client's pre-18 history in his decision making process. The judge that needs to rule over it though, is not allowed to take pre-18 convictions into account, yet he only needs to weigh the advice of a medical professional against the civil rights of the client. It does make sense. The pre-18 history is still present, just not in the court, but only in the realisation of the medical professional's advise.

So what does it mean in practice. This kid will probably see closed institutions, or half open institutions for quite a bit longer than 1 year. However, if he can convince psychiatrists that he is unlikely to repeat his behaviour within the timeframe of his sentencing, yes, it is technically possible that he will indeed do no longer than 1 year.
The 'retribution' aspect of crime and punishment is near absent in juvenile law, because Child Rights.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 07:54:10 am by martinuzz »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: June 11, 2017, 08:15:50 am »

My point still stands that we need improved technology to better evaluate & heal people.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: June 11, 2017, 08:26:19 am »

Let him be branded for life by what he has done; let it be part of who he is. Let it stain his soul from this day that is until the day that he enters his grave. After a deed such as this, no man deserve to live a life that is not shadowed by it.

There is a lot of merit to the idea that a former criminal should be allowed a fresh start. That, however, is an agreement with limits. After a certain threshold, one does not deserve such a favour. If someone is cruel, heartless and inhuman enough to carry out the deed, then they ought to bear the shame for the rest of their time on Earth. It is not impossible that such people reform, and might then be treated accordingly. However, being given the gift of freedom from one's past without a comparable reform in character preceeding it is simply not right.

Further, it must be noted that the treatment of his case is a horrific and quite revolting insult upon the character on the average fourteen-year-old.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: June 11, 2017, 09:03:12 am »

What is the point of making his entire life crap though, if he can be reformed?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: June 11, 2017, 09:24:33 am »

Because a crime of particular cruelty is not something one ought to be allowed and encouraged to live without, as if it has never happened. It must carry a severe cost.

If he were a burglar or robber, or perhaps a murdered by misadventure, as it were (let us say that he botched a robbery and shot down a petrol station clerk), it should be judged differently, and his right to live free of his crimes one day is greatly increased. But his crime is one of deliberate cruelty, seemingly for its own sake, and thus fundamentally different.
As for reform, that is, of course, the ideal solution. If he is willing to reform, and more to the point, go through the difficult path to do so, then it is a different matter. However, it depends on the subject's true willingness to reform, and to burden what they have done and make as good as they can to mend it. It is not something that should simply be gifted to him unconditionally.

Further, it must be noted that the person that carries the greatest responsibility for thus making his own life into crap is himself.

That all said, I do understand your point. And where he a failed burglar or robber, there would be no point, not when compared to the gain of reform.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: June 11, 2017, 09:34:09 am »

I'm not saying his youth should not be taken into consideration, but most of us here have experienced what it's like to be 14 and it is clear to me that he cannot be cleared of even a majority of responsibility for this rape and murder because of youth. His victim's punishment is permanent, and while that doesn't mean we should enact eye for an eye, this is an absurd reduction that is based not upon justice but the overly permissive administrative rules of the Netherlands.

Something like Brevik getting a stupid low sentence for mass murder is acceptable enough because he also can be retained indefinitely under psychiatric concerns - justice in this sense has been badly divided between the criminal justice system and psychiatric health, but it still functionally exists.

This, however, is as I said a willful ignorance. Not allowing judges to see serious crimes committed in youth is not an elimination of bias. Bias against a known murderer is appropriate. I could see an argument for putting record limitations on lots of things, even for adults a system that sunsets non-felonies if the individual stays clean long enough would be a decent idea. Murder is not on that list. Rape is not on that list.

There is no reason, no reason whatsoever, that the retributive aspect of law should be ignored in this case. For most crimes, maybe even almost all crimes, a 14 year old can find some ground to stand on being an undeveloped idiot, but not this one.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:39:50 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: June 11, 2017, 11:42:19 am »

Well, I'm 100% against the retributive aspect of justice myself. In this case, I'm more concerned that the guy could be let loose while still dangerous. In that aspect, saying a judge couldn't take into account his crime in a psych case 4 years from now seems indeed absurd.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: June 11, 2017, 12:03:06 pm »

After a deed such as this, no man deserve to live a life that is not shadowed by it.
He's not a man, he's 14.

Sheb: As martinuzz wrote above, what he did will factor into future evaluations - just not as part of his criminal record, but as part of his medical one.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: June 11, 2017, 03:04:20 pm »

Macrons En Marche! party is about to go from 0 to over 400 members of Parliament.

If only it were that easy for third parties to get started in the US. Obviously the Democrats and Republicans have far larger party machines, but still, with the amount of dissatisfaction in the US with both parties, you'd think that third parties would be blossoming.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: June 11, 2017, 04:24:59 pm »

UK: 37% votes for Conservatives giving 51% of the seats in parliament
France: 32% votes for En Marche! giving at least 71% of the seats

I hope anyone lambasting the UK election system will do so for the French election system as well.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 793