Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002092 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6195 on: June 14, 2017, 08:47:39 am »

I haven't read or heard much about that, Swedish media dont report much on such things. Probably because it doesn't go well with the Neutrality narrative, and there's so grander self delusion among Swedes than our neutrality.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: June 14, 2017, 08:50:39 am »

Yeah. Sweden is like the Switzerland of the North. Except with different reasons for wanting to be neutral.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: June 14, 2017, 09:00:41 am »

And also not really all that neutral any more. People and politicians using he neutrality principle and speaking as if we still haven't broken our 200 year streak of no war is something that annoys me to no end.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: June 14, 2017, 09:10:56 am »

And also not really all that neutral any more. People and politicians using he neutrality principle and speaking as if we still haven't broken our 200 year streak of no war is something that annoys me to no end.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6199 on: June 14, 2017, 10:04:21 am »

So, you're against military intervention abroad yet do want someone else to do a military intervention abroad on your behalf. Right.

By the way, I notice that you didn't answer whether you were part of your country's armed forces. I'm kind of curious about that, considering your hawk lobby advocacy: when you demand military interventions, is it actually you on the line of fire? Or are you asking to send someone else to solve the situation for you?

Common armed forces under one supernational leadership are in my opinion completely different from joint operations of independent nations and their forces. I am all for joint operations, such as ISAF(now Resolute Support) and peacekeeping as well as helping others when they ask for help, if it is legally and democratically decided.

I'll go if needed and asked to, of course. 10 years ago I pondered about going to Afghanistan but it didnt happen and I ended up in university.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6200 on: June 18, 2017, 07:24:10 am »

In Portugal, fast spreading wildfire has cost the lives of at least 57 people. Several villages are surrounded by fire. The fires aren't under control yet, and death toll keeps rising. Authorities have declared national state of emergency. Portugal asked the EU for immediate help with firefighting. France and Spain have dispatched firefighting aircraft.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/situatie-zeer-zorgwekkend-na-bosbrand-portugal-dodental-opgelopen-tot-57~a4501407/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:25:59 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: June 18, 2017, 07:29:09 am »

In Portugal, fast spreading wildfire has cost the lives of at least 57 people. Several villages are surrounded by fire. The fires aren't under control yet, and death toll keeps rising. Authorities have declared national state of emergency. Portugal asked the EU for immediate help with firefighting. France and Spain have dispatched firefighting aircraft.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/situatie-zeer-zorgwekkend-na-bosbrand-portugal-dodental-opgelopen-tot-57~a4501407/

Maybe as a compromise May could got and talk to the Portuguese victims of the fire that probably aren't mad at the tories that much.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: June 18, 2017, 12:32:58 pm »

You'd be upgrading a hard Brexit to a cross-channel invasion Olympics, with 26 participants.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6203 on: June 18, 2017, 01:00:22 pm »

I knew they lost bad. Didn't know there was only 26 Tories left though  ;D

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6204 on: June 18, 2017, 01:17:50 pm »

In France, the landslide seems to be complete, after Macron's party also seems headed for an absolute majority in parliament, in the second election round. Exit polls give him 355 out of 577 seats in the Assemblée Nationale.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6205 on: June 18, 2017, 01:18:50 pm »

Theres also really, really low turnout, something like 36% and it's been declining over the years.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: June 18, 2017, 01:20:25 pm »

It's not a supermajority though, so sadly we can't get out the Crown Jewels just quite yet.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6207 on: June 18, 2017, 01:47:50 pm »

It's not a supermajority though, so sadly we can't get out the Crown Jewels just quite yet.

Is there such a thing a supermajority though?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6208 on: June 18, 2017, 02:11:03 pm »

Is there such a thing a supermajority though?

Depends on the parliaments procedures I guess. Theres probably a threshold for some things where they need x amount above the normal majority point to pass stuff, if they're past that threshold, it'd be a supermajority. However, as you've seen in the American Republican party, they may not neccesarily be cohesive. It sort of sounds like the En Marche! party is closer to the American party system where it's more of a big tent party.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:41:15 pm by smjjames »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: June 18, 2017, 03:28:04 pm »

Wikipedia says 60%:

The final vote was submitted to Congress on 21 July 2008 and ratified by only one vote more than the required three-fifths (60%) majority of votes cast. The press drew attention to the aye vote of Jack Lang, who had broken with his party whip. The President of the National Assembly, Bernard Accoyer, also voted,[3] which defied the tradition whereby the President of a sitting abstains from voting.[4] Without those two votes the bill would not have passed.

Source.

E: Fixed typo. Also, LREM actually has a supermajority with their 361 seats out of 577 total.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:32:39 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 793