Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002152 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6510 on: August 18, 2017, 04:27:52 pm »

I didn't say it was about racism, I said it was stupid. Because "well you didn't die so why do you care" is a stupid thing to say.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: August 18, 2017, 04:32:49 pm »

I didn't say it was about racism, I said it was stupid. Because "well you didn't die so why do you care" is a stupid thing to say.

Hey all I did was aim a gun at you, you didn't die so why do you care?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: August 18, 2017, 04:55:09 pm »

Because I've  known to convicted killers in the past  and I consider this obsession with "oh  maybe my office mate was a killer or maybe not" kind of asinine. I dont see why would anyone dwell on that. Whats the point?  Again, they clearly didnt kill you in the past. Just as they didnt kill me. Whatever happened was a news item, not a personal experience.

Worth noting that he wasnt actually threatened in the attack, nor were his coworkers actually involved.

Come to think about it, it IS actually a bit racist to assume they were just because of their nationality, no?

Still a dick move to assume that 'cause someone is Asian and a practicing Muslim that they're capable of terrorism.

PPE: also kind of awful Basque etc.

Edit: can I be a terrorist, too? I was raised Catholic, have Irish heritage and don't particularly like Britain.

I'm sorry, I just got pissed over how when somebody literally just had an attack happen in their home town and is expressing their worries, your immediate reaction is to start up the ol' witch processing to find out if they're a vile racist or not.

Liar, liar....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:01:10 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: August 18, 2017, 04:58:08 pm »

Because I've  known to convicted killers in the past  and I consider this obsession with "oh  maybe my office mate was a killer or maybe not" kind of asinine. I dont see why would anyone dwell on that. Whats the point?  Again, they clearly didnt kill you.

Because not everyone has the same feelings and reactions of you and some people genuinely do worry about it?

I mean I genuinely worry everyday just whether or not people on bay12 like me and actually stress over it... And a lot of people here find that ridiculous. But it doesn't make it less relevant to me.

The response to the "Violence Epidemic scare" wasn't "Well you aren't dead, why do you care?" it was showing people that there was no epidemic. Alleviating people's fears instead of dismissing them outright.

Not that dismissal of worries is the wrong answer... But in that case it better be because the person somehow invented a problem that simply wasn't there. Like how I watch you while you sleep.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: August 18, 2017, 05:09:59 pm »

If your genuine worries seem silly to me I reserve the right to dismiss them.  Worrying about whether your cubicle mates might have been the terrorists in an attack is fairly pointless, and almost verges into paranoia.  Might as well begin  to worry whether  your current office mate is planning to kidnap and flay you to make a skinsuit.   The plain truth is, those people he worked with arent terrorists, and even if they had been they clearly werent when he meet them.  Once again, whatever happened afterwards is a news item and the proper response is "wow. Never would have guessed".  Or "I f*ing knew it".  Not, "OMG what if my coworker was actually a terrorist and he's now died in a suicide attack?" (Unless you're worried you'll have to do his half I guess)

. Like how I watch you while you sleep.

I DONT SLEEP (o)(o)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:12:13 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: August 18, 2017, 05:21:22 pm »

Still a dick move to assume that 'cause someone is Asian and a practicing Muslim that they're capable of terrorism.

PPE: also kind of awful Basque etc.

Edit: can I be a terrorist, too? I was raised Catholic, have Irish heritage and don't particularly like Britain.

I'm sorry, I just got pissed over how when somebody literally just had an attack happen in their home town and is expressing their worries, your immediate reaction is to start up the ol' witch processing to find out if they're a vile racist or not.

Liar, liar....

That's not to you, that's to hector. I was pissed of for his immediate insinuations about racism and for your stupid, callous comment. Two separate things.

Because I've  known to convicted killers in the past  and I consider this obsession with "oh  maybe my office mate was a killer or maybe not" kind of asinine. I dont see why would anyone dwell on that. Whats the point?  Again, they clearly didnt kill you in the past. Just as they didnt kill me. Whatever happened was a news item, not a personal experience.

Worth noting that he wasnt actually threatened in the attack, nor were his coworkers actually involved.

Come to think about it, it IS actually a bit racist to assume they were just because of their nationality, no?
If your genuine worries seem silly to me I reserve the right to dismiss them.  Worrying about whether your cubicle mates might have been the terrorists in an attack is fairly pointless, and almost verges into paranoia.  Might as well begin  to worry whether  your current office mate is planning to kidnap and flay you to make a skinsuit.   The plain truth is, those people he worked with arent terrorists, and even if they had been they clearly werent when he meet them.  Once again, whatever happened afterwards is a news item and the proper response is "wow. Never would have guessed".  Or "I f*ing knew it".  Not, "OMG what if my coworker was actually a terrorist and he's now died in a suicide attack?" (Unless you're worried you'll have to do his half I guess)

BEEP BOOP I AM A ROBOT EXPLAIN HOW THIS OBJECT CALLED [HUMAN EMOTIONS] FUNCTION
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: August 18, 2017, 05:33:02 pm »

I made no insinuations about racism, I asked for clarification. I thought he was being racist, aye, I didn't want to jump the gun in case he wasn't though. Thinking someone you work with is a potential terrorist because they're brown and Muslim is kinda stupid, so I called it out.

Anyhow, we are sliding into being bastards to each other. I say we, but you and poo. Perhaps the best move right now would be to step back and grab a beer or whatever.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: August 19, 2017, 04:48:58 am »

Police are now investigating the attack as a terrorist attack. The suspect is an 18-yo Moroccan.

Two dead Finns. The injured are two Swedes one Swede, one Briton, one Italian, and the rest Finnish, it seems. One is a minor.

EDIT: Apparently, one of the Swedes was a Briton.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:24:32 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: August 19, 2017, 04:59:46 am »

That is so sad...

Do they have a suspect for the motivation?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: August 19, 2017, 07:21:36 am »

Five Moroccans are now arrested on possible connections. Another person is now wanted internationally.

Main suspect arrived to Finland in 2016 and had gone through the refugee process and had lived at a refugee facility.

Rumor mill is suggesting women may have been the motive/target (victims were eight women, two men), but nothing conclusive as witnesses claim the victims were chosen randomly.

Suspect is still being treated before he can be questioned.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:25:12 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: August 19, 2017, 07:30:31 am »

These people are lunatics. Make mass propaganda reach enough people, and sooner or later you'll find someone nuts enough to do whatever you want them to do. That's the danger of this modern variety of terrorism. There is no real way of making things foolproof against it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: August 19, 2017, 03:33:36 pm »

Looks like the animosity between Spanish and Catalan officials (and general animosity between the two) may have contributed to the Spanish terror cell not being caught earlier. Not saying that it was THE reason why, but as we've seen in other cases in Europe (Belgium comes to mind) where authorities weren't really cooperating with each other as far as intel goes, the lack of cooperation between authorities can definetly cause problems.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: August 19, 2017, 04:35:18 pm »

:/  I've not heard anything about that in Spanish media. And there are several pieces of the article which make me doubt the research behind it TBH. It's full of "it might" and "it seems".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: August 19, 2017, 04:37:16 pm »

Yea, it sounds more like populist scapegoating than anything really
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: August 19, 2017, 07:26:07 pm »

There probably will be an investigation into how it seems to have flown under the radar.
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 793