Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008735 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #7470 on: January 14, 2018, 12:34:25 pm »

Don't know where the gallows thing comes from, it's something I've only found appear in the Hill and Washington Post, now why these Washington based news agencies have information that no one in Britain has, is probably just a lil bit of embellishment: They want to sell clicks, they want to make it seem like our Mayor was gonna be assassinated.

The gallows is from the groups own facebook video of the event. It's clearly not... Like, an actual working gallows that you could actually hang someone from. But they do bring a gallows and they do say that it "awaits anyone who breaks their oath of office"

I guess this is where I question the BBCs motive for not mentioning the gallows then? Probably because they want less clicks, to spread the clicks to the poor click impoverished news stations of the world.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:37:43 pm by Criptfeind »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7471 on: January 14, 2018, 12:38:29 pm »

Wow... I thought it was just America, but England seems to be jumping off the cliff too... Well, there is a special relationship after all.
In a time before time, I had a name.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: January 14, 2018, 01:03:17 pm »

Don't know where the gallows thing comes from, it's something I've only found appear in the Hill and Washington Post, now why these Washington based news agencies have information that no one in Britain has, is probably just a lil bit of embellishment: They want to sell clicks, they want to make it seem like our Mayor was gonna be assassinated.

The gallows is from the groups own facebook video of the event. It's clearly not... Like, an actual working gallows that you could actually hang someone from. But they do bring a gallows and they do say that it "awaits anyone who breaks their oath of office"

I guess this is where I question the BBCs motive for not mentioning the gallows then? Probably because they want less clicks, to spread the clicks to the poor click impoverished news stations of the world.

It certainly looks like it could be made functional, but what do I know. Still found it disturbing though.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: January 14, 2018, 01:08:09 pm »

Well, I mean, I don't know anything about gallows either. Maybe my perspective is off, it looks to me like even if I got my head though the hole my feet would be able to touch the ground. But idk, it's hard to judge.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7474 on: January 14, 2018, 03:33:33 pm »

Wow... I thought it was just America, but England seems to be jumping off the cliff too... Well, there is a special relationship after all.
4 dudes =/= You guys electring Trump

That actually is pretty suspish as to why the BBC would redact that info. Could be that the BBC is on orders to minimize the amount of attention this group gets, so as to reduce the effectiveness of their publicity stunt

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: January 14, 2018, 10:09:20 pm »

Venezuela has been blockading trade with the Dutch islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao for about two weeks now, claiming drug trade is hurting Venezuelan economy. Analist suspect Chinese oil interests are behind it. Fruit and vegetables becoming scarce on the islands. Diplomacy has been unsuccesful so far. We might need to send our navy.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: January 14, 2018, 10:24:07 pm »

Venezuela has been blockading trade with the Dutch islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao for about two weeks now, claiming drug trade is hurting Venezuelan economy. Analist suspect Chinese oil interests are behind it. Fruit and vegetables becoming scarce on the islands. Diplomacy has been unsuccesful so far. We might need to send our navy.

Is it a complete naval blockade or something? Not as if Venezuela is the only source of fruit and vegetables? I'm a bit confused as to the situation as it sounds like a military blockade but I don't think Venezuelas navy is that big.

You could always ask the US to show some muscle if neccesary, or something.

Also, I hadn't seen anything about Venezuela blockading trade on those islands on the BBC...

edit: Google news'd it and I see. Does Venezuela's maritine border completely envelop those three islands because I thought those islands would have their own maritine border which wouldn't stop aircraft and ships from coming through.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:31:28 pm by smjjames »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: January 15, 2018, 04:45:28 am »

It does, or at least, it should; I doubt the Dominican Republic has joined in on this blockade.  Do you have any reference?  All I found is indications that Venezuela severed their own trade relations with the ABC islands, but if that were all, then their maritime border shouldn't matter at all.  Is the blockade being conducted in general and in violation of Dutch national waters? 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:47:06 am by Culise »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: January 15, 2018, 05:27:16 am »

Nah, but if it continues, there will be severe food shortages on the islands. About 95% of it's cereals, fruit and vegetables are imported from Venezuela.

EDIT: ohwait, they are indeed actually blockading the airspace and naval terrirtorial waters of the islands.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/nog-geen-akkoord-na-overleg-venezuela-houdt-vast-aan-zee-en-luchtblokkade-abc-eilanden~a4556828/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:30:42 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: January 15, 2018, 09:30:43 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42688698

Barry McElduff has resigned. Wonder if it's got anything to do with the petition, which is thirty eight and a half thousand strong, demanding he step down. Hope so; would hate to think my vote was for naught.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: January 18, 2018, 04:45:46 am »

As an extreme measure, the Netherlands has declared the most senior ranking Eritrean diplomat as persona non grata, and kicked him out of the country.
With this the Netherlands hopes to send a clear message that we will not accept the Eritrean ways of threatening and intimidating Eritreans living in the Netherlands into paying tax to Eritrea over their Dutch income.
Diplomats have already tried for months to try and convince Eritrea to stop doing that, but they have not complied, or even showed any understanding that we do not accept such behaviour.
The next step would be closing down the embassy altogether, but for now the government thinks that will be counterproductive.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: January 18, 2018, 05:59:15 am »

Does Eritrea double tax their citizen's income like the US or is it a different issue, them saying that their citizens shouldn't pay the Netherlands tax?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7482 on: January 18, 2018, 06:06:46 am »

Double tax.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: January 18, 2018, 08:08:53 am »

As an extreme measure, the Netherlands has declared the most senior ranking Eritrean diplomat as persona non grata, and kicked him out of the country.
With this the Netherlands hopes to send a clear message that we will not accept the Eritrean ways of threatening and intimidating Eritreans living in the Netherlands into paying tax to Eritrea over their Dutch income.
Diplomats have already tried for months to try and convince Eritrea to stop doing that, but they have not complied, or even showed any understanding that we do not accept such behaviour.
The next step would be closing down the embassy altogether, but for now the government thinks that will be counterproductive.

How is it different from what the US do?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: January 18, 2018, 09:16:35 am »

Because Eritrea doesn't have a tax agreement with the Netherlands that allows for reimbursement of double tax, I suppose. Or possibly avoid double taxation alltogether, not familiar with the specifics on the Dutch-US tax agreement, just know that our country's base policy is to negotiate treaties with no double taxation.
And because the US doesn't send shady men to intimidate and threaten Dutch citizens into paying, nor does it make them sign papers in which they promise to pay for their unspecified crimes.

From the official website of our tax office:
If you have income from different countries, tax is levied on that income by multiple countries. If you have capital in another country than that in which you reside, you will also be confronted with this issue. If tax is levied on the same income or capital by more than 1 country, this is called double taxation.
To avoid that you pay tax on your income or your capital more than once, the Netherlands has concluded tax treaties with a considerable number of countries. A tax treaty is an agreement between 2 countries about which of them has the right to levy tax on certain income. The contents of the treaties are not the same for every country. To know what the exact consequences are for your tax levy in the Netherlands, you must read that treaty.
If the Netherlands has not concluded a tax treaty with the country concerned, the 'Double Taxation (Avoidance) Decree (2001)' applies. Application of this Decree will also result in the avoidance of double taxation. For more information about the avoidance of double tax, please see the double tax relief.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:22:19 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 793