Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 762 763 [764] 765 766 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1007921 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #11445 on: February 07, 2022, 06:09:40 pm »

feelotraveller, completely reasonable stance. In my view, scrapping all fossil fuels and putting in nuclear plants immediately is still the best move, but the longer people drag their feet on it, the better the battery tech becomes and the more possible it is for a fully green energy grid to exist. (Reminder that the longer it takes to do either, the more carbon we pump into the air.) Ideally, though, we'd be able to pull it off with, as you said, things like green hydrogen cells (hydrogen primarily coming as a side product of fossil fuel refinement, now) or other semi-green energies.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11446 on: February 09, 2022, 01:20:11 pm »

A new law is about to be approved by dutch parliament unless something unexpected happens.
There seems to be a large majority in favour of making the abortion pill easily and freely available at the GP's office, no questions asked.
Last month a new law was approved already that got rid of the mandatory 5 day 'thinking period' between a woman asking for an abortion and being able to get one.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11447 on: February 09, 2022, 02:59:51 pm »

It gets far worse when capital costs are considered (us$/kilowatt-hour):

Solar PV - rooftop residential 2475-2850

Those numbers can't be correct - some kind of order-of-magnitude scaling error?  I mean a system for my house is probably like $15,000 for a 6kW system, averaging maybe 3kW-hr/day output over the year, or about 1100 kW-hr/year.  Even if it only ran for a single year, that would be only $13/kW-hr.  If it ran for 10 years it would be $1.30/kW-hr.

Still expensive, mind you, since my retail rate is less than $0.20/kW-hr.

EDIT: I also don't believe the "levelised cost" number for residential PV; I don't know how you'd get down to $0.147-$0.221 per kW-hr.  If I could get costs that low, I'd do it "tomorrow"!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 03:09:53 pm by McTraveller »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11448 on: February 10, 2022, 02:46:52 am »

It gets far worse when capital costs are considered (us$/kilowatt-hour):

Solar PV - rooftop residential 2475-2850

Those numbers can't be correct - some kind of order-of-magnitude scaling error?  I mean a system for my house is probably like $15,000 for a 6kW system, averaging maybe 3kW-hr/day output over the year, or about 1100 kW-hr/year.  Even if it only ran for a single year, that would be only $13/kW-hr.  If it ran for 10 years it would be $1.30/kW-hr.

Still expensive, mind you, since my retail rate is less than $0.20/kW-hr.

That's a transcription error on my part, the 'hour' should not be be there.  Apologies for that.  (Your situation fits: $15,000/6 = $2,500 per kW.)

EDIT: I also don't believe the "levelised cost" number for residential PV; I don't know how you'd get down to $0.147-$0.221 per kW-hr.  If I could get costs that low, I'd do it "tomorrow"!

You'd have to take that up with Lazard.  No inaccuracy in my reporting of their figures.  Still it's their commerical business as a financial advisory firm, and a damn big one at that, so I kinda reckon they  at least sort of know their stuff.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11449 on: February 10, 2022, 06:25:25 pm »

A new law is about to be approved by dutch parliament unless something unexpected happens.
There seems to be a large majority in favour of making the abortion pill easily and freely available at the GP's office, no questions asked.
Last month a new law was approved already that got rid of the mandatory 5 day 'thinking period' between a woman asking for an abortion and being able to get one.
I love the similarity to hand guns implied there.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11450 on: February 10, 2022, 06:39:31 pm »

In USA context perhaps, but I don't really see how this is related to handguns.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11451 on: February 10, 2022, 07:10:29 pm »

In USA context perhaps, but I don't really see how this is related to handguns.
In the spirit of a terrible jokes thread:

In one you are worried about getting shot; in the other you are worried because someone shot off.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11452 on: February 11, 2022, 09:43:43 am »

A "thinking period" for buying a gun, despite there being no evidence you had ever planned on committing a crime with that gun, let alone killing anyone.

No "thinking period" for getting an abortion, despite the fact that you're knowingly and intentionally taking a human life1 in the process.

The human mind sure is fascinating.

1 Life, as defined by biology.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11453 on: February 11, 2022, 09:47:48 am »

Yeah it's ridiculous, why have a thinking period when 2 sentences suffice to know whom I want to shoot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 10:34:46 am by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11454 on: February 11, 2022, 01:09:30 pm »

Geesh. In the past few days, a dutch special ops commando was arrested, and a high ranking chief of police was arrested as well, for aiding and leaking to criminal organisations.

I guess Riduan T. wasn't kidding when he told his criminal partners via his criminal (and arrested) lawyer that he was planning an escape with the help of special forces style operatives and inside information.

Our constitutional state has been pretty darn shaken the past few years. Murdered lawyers, murdered crime journalist, murdered family member of crown witnesses, a anti tank launcher firing at a newspaper office, military commando style gold robbery... That's so not my country, shit like that only happens in dangerous countries like the US.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 01:12:50 pm by martinuzz »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11455 on: February 11, 2022, 04:06:42 pm »

To be fair, the only reason The US gets such publicity for the awful stuff that occurs there is due to the country being quite big with a lot of people, and a media that is allowed to tell the world when something awful occurs.
It's mostly a fairly decent place.  It's just that being an Asshole gets you elected.

It's easy to run a country with less than thirty million people.  Try keeping it together when you got 10x that many.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11456 on: February 11, 2022, 04:26:12 pm »

Fair enough.
With dangerous countries I meant countries where civilians are allowed to walk around on the streets armed with guns.
The thought alone of walking around in such a place terrifies me, as much as I would love to see some of the nice and beautiful places and folks in the US.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11457 on: February 11, 2022, 04:58:53 pm »

It's easy to run a country with less than thirty million people.  Try keeping it together when you got 10x that many.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11458 on: February 11, 2022, 05:09:03 pm »

Indeed. China and India have my condolences.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11459 on: February 12, 2022, 03:50:07 am »

Indeed. China and India have my condolences.
Your condolences have been noted and converted to social credit points.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 762 763 [764] 765 766 ... 793