Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002147 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #11820 on: March 26, 2023, 01:19:49 pm »

Rage and violence continue to paralyze France, strengthen both the far right and the far left who exploit the situation and finding other excuses to continue. At this point, I am firmly behind Macron, giving up for those who do not accepts the rule of the game would invite a culture of political violence.

----

92% of firms keep a four day work week after a six month trial.

It doesn’t work in some industries, it does apparently work in a heck of a lot of them though.
As a counterpoint [..]

What point that may be? The article says the same things I said:
"Yet, despite these headline-grabbing results, the trial didn’t work for every business. Some firms abandoned the experiment; others haven’t yet made the move to adopt the format full-time. Even those firms continuing with reduced hours are navigating new challenges arising from shortened workweeks. Though this reflects a small portion of the trial’s participants, it means the four-day workweek isn’t an automatic solution for all."

Otherwise, we are talking about limited six month pilot conducted by an advocacy group in the UK, so one shouldn't jump to conclusions but like I said experimentation is good, covid shacked the traditional working place conventions and we need more more data on what is possible.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11821 on: March 26, 2023, 03:22:15 pm »

I have always been somewhat baffled by how big of an issue the retirement age is in France.
I mean, with their current age of 63 they really are already in a luxury position.
Over here, it used to be 65, which was set more than half a century ago.
It was decided that with the general population becoming older, and being fitter until later age at that, raising the retirement age is only logical to be able to sustain the pretty decent retirement funds for our retired population. Some years ago it was decided to slowly raise it up to at least 67,5 years, which I think is the point we reached this year.
Barely anyone objected or protested.

Not to mention that I know just about as many elderly who were sad they reached retirement age and miss their jobs and co-workers as I know elderly who are happy with their retirement (retirement is mandatory here, your reach retirement age, your job ends, give or take a few months for practical reasons)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 03:27:31 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11822 on: March 26, 2023, 03:42:16 pm »

I think it’s the manner it happened rather than it happening. Macron decided to forego a vote and just force it through using article 49:3 of the constitution. A bit risky since the only way to force that to fail is for the government to lose a no confidence vote, but they survived that. This was partly because the opposition is allowed to (and I’m pretty sure actually did) tabke thousands of amendments to controversial bills so they basically have no chance of passing.

If Macron instead opted to try to convince people this was the best course of action, maybe people wouldn’t be protesting.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11823 on: March 26, 2023, 04:26:58 pm »

Zeus was never one for persuasion
Love, scriver~

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11824 on: March 26, 2023, 08:24:15 pm »

Yes? What is the joke? Is there even a joke or is this a reply to the post above it?

I need answers!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11825 on: March 26, 2023, 08:29:18 pm »

Probably something to do with Macron thinking he’s a god and he doesn’t need support as a result else he’ll just LIGHTNING BOLT every obstinate motherfucker.

Or ignore them. Pretty sure that was his course of action with the yellow jackets a whole back.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11826 on: March 26, 2023, 10:32:49 pm »

We dumb Americans never understood that France has always needs strong masculine leadership to get anything done.
We got a Democracy, they got Napoleon.

The point, of course, is that Macron followed the French Constitution correctly.

Then again, while France shares a border with Germany, Americans instead have the Canadians...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11827 on: March 26, 2023, 10:38:39 pm »

Just ‘cause it’s in the constitution, doesn’t make it the correct course of action.

I think a significant reason Macron has been elected twice is because his opponent both times was Marine Le Pen. If you have a choice between a slavering lunatic and almost anything else, you’ll vote for almost anything else.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11828 on: March 27, 2023, 02:44:15 am »

Yes? What is the joke? Is there even a joke or is this a reply to the post above it?

I need answers!

Macron famously compared himself as president to Jupiter when he first won the election. Ie, he tells people what to do, and they make it happen, dictator style.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11829 on: March 27, 2023, 08:20:45 am »

Just ‘cause it’s in the constitution, doesn’t make it the correct course of action.

I think a significant reason Macron has been elected twice is because his opponent both times was Marine Le Pen. If you have a choice between a slavering lunatic and almost anything else, you’ll vote for almost anything else.

Except the one not frothing at the mouth turned out to have rabies just as potent.
Alas.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11830 on: March 27, 2023, 08:58:39 am »

The phrase "Lesser of two evils" comes to mind.
As an American, I sympathize.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11831 on: March 27, 2023, 11:58:57 am »

The dutch trains are being plagued by badgers. The railway service just finished clearing badger lairs today, only to discover more 2km further down the line. All trains on the line have been cancelled, the railway dikes have been compromised too much by the digging underneath. It is expected that over here in Noord Brabant, trains won't ride for another week. In Friesland, it is expected there will be no trains for at least a month.

Protected wildlife vs railway company. Round 1. Protected wildlife wins! FATALITY!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #11832 on: March 27, 2023, 02:49:06 pm »

The dutch trains are being plagued by badgers.

Nope, no explanation can beat my mental image of this. Tiny badgers hiding the luggage compartments and poppimng out and stealing food. Ticket attendents having bandit badgers steal passangers tickets out of their hands and scamper off down the corridor. Trains breaking as a giant badgers stops on the railway line and stares the train down.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11833 on: March 27, 2023, 05:47:37 pm »

It sounds more like the badgers are digging out the land underneath the rails, causing the trains to unexpectedly fall into giant badger holes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11834 on: March 27, 2023, 05:52:32 pm »

Why don't they find places away from loud metal giants to dig their burrows?
(the loud metal giants in this case are the trains)
Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 793