Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 850189 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9405 on: October 29, 2021, 02:20:45 pm »

I WORK IN RETAIL
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: October 30, 2021, 03:03:55 am »

did you guys hear that you can't have peace without a war?

double edit: no

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: October 30, 2021, 05:01:01 am »

the fuckers have removed the 'restore previous session' button for some reason, tho I doubt that would've helped much.

I thought that too actually, but they actually just hid it. If you open that drop down menu, you'll see your usual options. One of them is history. If you click history, it will open another drop-down menu and one of the options in it is the old "restore previous session" button.

The initial knee-jerk reaction is of course to be pissed at an unnecessary UI change, but it's not bad once you get used to it. It's a function you won't be using that often so it makes sense to bury it a little. History is also a reasonable location to place it in. It was the first place I checked when I noticed the button was missing.

First place I looked, wasn't there. It has recently closed tabs/windows but that only works for the current session by the looks of it, and only for stuff that was actually closed while the browser was running. No restore previous session button to be found anywhere.

Anyways, all moot, there's a reason it's in the mildly upset thread because I just can't be bothered too much by it anymore. It happened several times already, it'll probably happen several more. Most of it was random music I found anyways, some of it will be missed, some of it won't because I can't even remember what it was :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9408 on: October 31, 2021, 04:08:13 am »

Laptop froze for over 30 minutes, force-shutdown and rebooted. Had to install 3 windows updates. By the time they're installed have to turn the generator off for the night. Laptop restarted but windows explorer functions (desktop icons and task manager, folder browser) won't load. try to restart again, now stuck in infinite windows update screen.

It's brick'd jim
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9409 on: November 02, 2021, 02:35:26 pm »

I think I've succumbed to the virus my kids had last week.  Blugh.

More annoying than anything.  Sinus headache, minor runny nose.  C-19 tests on both kids came back negative, so it's just a "regular" thing (statistically unlikely for it to be two false negatives, especially since they were symptomatic with "something" - runny nose, low-grade fever (never got above 100F), lots of post-nasal drip/coughing).

It feels strange to always have to say now "yeah I'm sick, but no it's not C-19."  Why is there such a stigma?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9410 on: November 02, 2021, 03:00:21 pm »

That sucks, sorry to hear it  :(
Dangit, I've been putting off the flu vaccine like a total hypocrite. They say it's particularly painless this year because of all the practice, but I still don't wanna.

But I super don't want another case of severe congestion if I can avoid it at all. I'm even going on a trip on the 9th, and I'm anxious enough already.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: November 03, 2021, 07:37:44 pm »

That sucks, sorry to hear it  :(
Dangit, I've been putting off the flu vaccine like a total hypocrite. They say it's particularly painless this year because of all the practice, but I still don't wanna.

But I super don't want another case of severe congestion if I can avoid it at all. I'm even going on a trip on the 9th, and I'm anxious enough already.

Go. It's a good thing to be able to breathe.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: November 03, 2021, 07:55:06 pm »

Yeah I got it done today, it was just a little prick as always.  I'm glad I didn't look at it this time.

Finally going on a trip out of town: also a way to breathe, so to speak.
And I get to ride a train and then a metro/bus system!  I've missed that so dang much.

I'm barely even anxious about it anymore.  I'm about as prepared as possible and I'm welcoming any excuse to be in a mild "crowd". Just for a couple of days!  And hell, even worst case, it's not like *I'm* going to be the reason NC has Covid.  "It's already here" /homestuck.  I guess it even gives me a reason not to visit family elders for a while.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9413 on: November 03, 2021, 07:58:22 pm »

Nice man. You got the courage.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: November 03, 2021, 08:02:31 pm »

Went looking for an old conversation I was in, couldn't find it, then realized it probably got deleted because I got called an idiot for daring to suggest the UK was not the safest place for people worried about trans rights.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: November 03, 2021, 08:45:57 pm »

Ah, good old TERF island.

I ended up with food poisoning last night and puked 6 times in about 2 minutes. Then I had a convo with my mom today where, without asking, she decided I was put on academic probation due to not turning in HW when I suddenly lost my antidepressant prescription.

She is amazingly abusive, man. I'm getting really sick of her shit.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: November 03, 2021, 09:29:35 pm »

I hate it when parents assume the worst.  Don't they know we have that covered?
I wish your mother was supportive, you deserve it.
She/they

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: November 03, 2021, 10:25:22 pm »

Got more patience for that mess than I do. The few times one of mine tried crap like that over a phone I just hung up and turned off the phone for a few days. S'actually something my mother basically raised me to do, when you encounter abuse you make it fuck right off one way or another, if there's not serious mitigating circumstances*. Nobody should have to deal with that shit, and there's precious few people or reasons worth trying to navigate it.

... or well, one of mine being my mother, since I basically ghosted my dad well over a decade ago and have absolutely zero regret over it, heh. I think he's still alive? If not, no one's bothered to mention it to me.

But yeah, abusive family is pretty bad, especially if you can't cut them off for whatever reason or otherwise put a cork in the proverbial spigot.

*Tolerate a bit while trying to caretake for increasingly demented grandparents, ferex, but if it was serious I'd just straight tell their kids they're now shit out of luck and I'm not doing it anymore. Actually came pretty damn close earlier this year, but things got worked out eventually...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: November 04, 2021, 12:32:51 pm »

I have a lot of patience for having love for people, despite being abused by them... but as a recovering codependent, I realized that doesn't mean I have to expose myself to it as much either? I can prioritize my wellbeing, set boundaries, step away when they harm me, etc. And I try to be more proactive about telling them that they hurt me, or that I want things to change; I try to do that whenever possible with my folks, with friends with rough edges, etc. Chip away at the stuff that's bad for both of us together, as long as they're willing... and to wait patiently out of arms reach if they're not. Reaching out and checking in from time to time, if they're important enough to me, and all that.

That said... oof. Grr. Etc. Should not be happening. Angry.

I think there's some kind of virtue in loving people, despite their abusive behavior? Or at least in judging or condemning the actions rather than the person, holding space for them, and all that. But holding space doesn't mean allowing someone to keep doing harm either. You can refuse to tolerate abusive behavior, and communicate about that clearly, but still maintain a little garden of hope for things to be better? And maybe soothe the polarized black-or-white thinking a lot of abusers with trauma histories fall into, by allowing the dynamic to be complicated. Letting them know you're not saying they're monolithically bad; that your dynamic has got good and bad aspects, and that the things that are hurting you can be better, if they're willing. And vice versa, if it's mutually dysfunctional.

Granted, it's also complicated when there's a power dynamic between you and your abuser (like, if one is helping the other have shelter/food/pursue their goals, etc). Even if reciprocal violence isn't a concern, cutting abusive loved ones off isn't as simple when it also means putting you (or them) at material risk, or has other life-shaking consequences. I've been there! It sucked leaving an abusive home and giving up all familial support, trying to work 30 hours to afford going to school for 30 hours, selling blood plasma to afford rent, be homeless on and off, etc.! And at other times, it sucked making the choice to stay... to take care of my dying grandpa, while his wife and son lashed out at me from a place of grief, for a few years. Navigating that with any degree of grace and patience sucked! But the harm-reduction calculus works out such that, for the fit young granddaughter to *not* volunteer for that situation, and risk my other older family hurting themselves with caretaking duties... that felt like a greater cost to the world than some abuse I was willing and able to bear. And I loved that man too, so it was easier than it might've been.

All that is to say that A) these situations suck and shouldn't be happening to y'all lovely folks, and B) minimizing harm, and acting from a place of love (for others and for yourself) in these situations is complicated. But sometimes these things will get better, and sometimes they won't... and I hope anyone struggling with these situations can navigate 'em in the best way possible. Sending healing thoughts!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9419 on: November 06, 2021, 08:05:01 pm »

But then the bag will be all filled up.
By the power of of the sundrop lady I compel thee.

Ever since we introduced the new PMC system where plastic bottles etc are picked up at people's houses, we were the last region in the whole country not to adhere to this national stannard mind you, those walking fetal alcohol syndromes have been hiding everything they throw away in plastic bags, sometimes even official regular house waste bags, that are allmost 10 times as expensive as PMC bags. How frustrating it is though that all the things that go in the PMC bags happen to have a volume. Couldn't we have reserved the PMC bag for ideas only?!

Edit: The more I think about it the more I realize it's like when they invented instant baking goods: they had to  add extra steps or else the housewives wouldn't buy them. Why pay for what you need and need and never be forced to sort bottles again, to have 99+% purity, when you could be required to own a car, have everybody substitute with their garbage tax the same 30 faces that like to spend their life at the recycling parc yet are unable to stick to the rules so that their precious waste can be disposed of in a costly manner instead of recycled, and everybody else gets to make that really witty comment how you need to have a degree to sort bottles (no I can resume it in 2 sentences, but your attention span won't last through an enumeration of 3 (three!) colors and two weld types) so that through painstaking manual labor we reach a mere ~97% (GIVE OR TAKE) purity.
How do you pull a forbidden potato field on this one. If they love being at the parc so much why do they take such poor care of it. Fucking monkeys.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 10:13:43 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 775