Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855460 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: hot animals edition
« Reply #540 on: April 04, 2016, 08:37:16 pm »

Just spilled bleach on one of my four shirts. It was my favorite shirt too :'(
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 04, 2016, 08:38:13 pm »

ESSAYS.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 04, 2016, 08:44:20 pm »

Normal essays I can handle. An essay on the role of morality in historiography? Kill me now.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #546 on: April 04, 2016, 08:46:03 pm »

STOP EMPHASISING THINGS YOU DORKS

Normal essays I can handle. An essay on the role of morality in historiography? Kill me now.
That actually sounds interesting though
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 04, 2016, 08:47:39 pm »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 04, 2016, 08:48:41 pm »

I retract my previous statement. Kill you now. :P
---

Uhh, it's just long and boring. The study of the study of history is a boring topic for me, anyway.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 04, 2016, 08:50:03 pm »

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:24:46 pm by Solifuge »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 04, 2016, 08:50:38 pm »

Th... Th... That's a big sad...

*applies hugs to Solifuge*
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:13:14 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 04, 2016, 08:58:13 pm »

The printer/scanner gremlins are acting up again. Literally nothing has changed since the last time I used the scanner, and yet it's being a pain in the ass and taking ~3mins to scan a single document.

It's even worse because this time it's not my own time-critical due-in-three-days assignment that's on the line, but other peoples' as well.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 04, 2016, 09:06:28 pm »

i can't focus on anything for any reasonable amount of time at all, so i end up jumping between things constantly and never really getting anything done

...as it turns out, that's ADHD, which I knew I had but somehow never made the connection to

gonna start treatment soon, maybe (probably) drugs, which i'm hopeful for

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 04, 2016, 09:42:14 pm »

@Solifuge

If you want my advice, and you might not:

Human experience is real. It's the most real thing there is. To paraphrase a surprisingly insightful space-horse-man, if there's nothing in the universe but what we make, let us make Good. I don't buy that hedonism is the way to do it, though. Pleasure only makes sense as the Prime Motivator when you define it so broadly as to be useless - it forces you to invent convoluted definitions of true pleasure when you need to explain folks being altruistic, or devoted to a cause, or just plain honest. It's as if you're drawing ever-more-complicated circles of orbits to explain how the Earth is still at the center of the Universe.

Find stronger foundations. Find your pleasure in living a just life. Don't find justice in living a pleasant life. I don't know about you, but I've found that honesty, compassion, humility and genuine willingness to be vulnerable and to sacrifice for others have been worthwhile ideals. They may hurt to go through with, but I've found that when I stopped looking for profit in my relationships, most of what I'd struggled for years to engineer came to me without coercion. How much fear of pain can you take before it starts being worse than the pain itself? Maybe you have to leave behind some friend groups who make it impossible to be what you need to be, whether it's because they just can't see your value or because you've settled into an unhealthy dynamic with them that you just can't break out of. I know I left some folks behind like that as I tried to be better, and not all of them deserved it. But you do what you have to do.

I don't know how much of that applies directly to you, and at some point I noticed you snipped out your post, so I don't want to dig any deeper than I already have. If you want this deleted, too, just say so.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 04, 2016, 09:58:33 pm »

I retract my previous statement. Kill you now. :P
---

Uhh, it's just long and boring. The study of the study of history is a boring topic for me, anyway.
Nah, the study of the study of history, or the theory and methodology of historiography can be actually pretty interesting. That said, it is really easy for a teacher to make it as boring as it gets. Fortunately, I studied this with a teacher who is somewhat renowned in this area (even though her specialization was in the area of Imperial Brazil). The university's servers are overloaded, so I can't check if she has a post-doctorate or "just" a doctorate.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 778