Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859786 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #3720 on: March 17, 2018, 04:11:20 pm »

Australia is a strange place. Perhaps if the option exists it isnt made clear to the general public.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: March 17, 2018, 08:12:56 pm »

You found a cuneiform font? Can i have it?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: March 17, 2018, 08:24:39 pm »

Are you not allowed to submit an empty ballot if you like? I thought that was an option in all countries with mandatory voting.
We have that option, and voting isn't even mandatory.
There's something something that if 1/3d of all votes are cast to this 'blanco' vote, the elections are declared void, and new elections will be written out.
Not sure how that's supposed to work, as you'd just get new elections for the same parties and same people.
Maybe there's a clause that makes it mandatory for anyone electable in the void elections to commit seppuku, to prevent this from happening. Or it would be a good idea at least, and make for great tv ratings and advertisement income xD
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: March 17, 2018, 08:43:15 pm »

Are you not allowed to submit an empty ballot if you like? I thought that was an option in all countries with mandatory voting.

Sure you can do that. Once they mark you off the electoral roll, then you're covered for the obligatory part. Nobody manually checks how you filled out your vote.

Quote from: Yoink
Looking through this list of candidates (at least it's just a local election) is pretty bleak. There's the Animal Justice Party, which I am unsurprisingly putting at number one (I can't be arsed explaining our strange voting system, to put it simply you number all candidates 1-10), but all of the other options fail to align with my own values very much at all from what I'm reading - and as far as I can gather from what I've read in the past about this arcane voting system, the weight of your vote basically goes to the first candidate in your preferences that would end up with enough votes to win overall.

It's called a better voting system. See Cpgrey's election videos to see why.

The reason it's better is that it doesn't suffer from splitting the vote. e.g. say there was a left-wing guy with 60% support, and a right-wing guy with 40% support, then obviously the left-wing guy should win. However ... say there was also another left-wing guy who's about as popular as the other left-wing guy, e.g. 60% of people like them more than the right-wing guy. Being logical the winner should be either left-wing guy A or left-wing guy B, since those two guys are the most popular candidates. However, that's not what happens. In the First Past The Post system, each left-wing guy only gets 30% and the right-wing guy gets 40%, meaning he's the winner, even though a majority of the population would have preferred literally any other candidate.

e.g. we're running an election where Alex always beats Bob, but if Charlie decides to run as well, suddenly Bob wins. However ... if Alex drops out, and only Charlie is running against Bob, Charlie always beats Bob. The ranked voting system used in Australia avoids this sort of paradoxical thing happening.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:10:57 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: March 17, 2018, 10:03:10 pm »

e.g. we're running an election where Alex always beats Bob, but if Charlie decides to run as well, suddenly Bob wins. However ... if Alex drops out, and only Charlie is running against Bob, Charlie always beats Bob. The ranked voting system used in Australia avoids this sort of paradoxical thing happening.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: March 18, 2018, 08:42:32 am »

I am legally required to vote today. Lawd, what a waste of time.
Look on the bright side, you could be like me! I am not required to vote in the presidential election today. In fact, since they removed the minimum turnout to consider the elections passed, my presence isn't even necessary at all! And we have a great list of candidates, to wit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I'm stuck between not going at all, going and wasting the ballot, and voting for the fake commie millionaire. I have maybe... 90 minutes left to decide?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: March 20, 2018, 11:29:35 pm »

Vote for tha Big P, obviously!

Current Mild Sad: all these nice landscape paintings at work are making me want to gtfo out of the city and go climb a mountain or some shit. This is one situation where it would be rather handy to have a car.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: March 20, 2018, 11:33:42 pm »

Vote for tha Big P, obviously!

Current Mild Sad: all these nice landscape paintings at work are making me want to gtfo out of the city and go climb a mountain or some shit. This is one situation where it would be rather handy to have a car.
Abbadon the Armless is sounding pretty great in an ushering in an age of darkness kind of way.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: March 20, 2018, 11:53:29 pm »

Wasn’t the female candidate rumored to be Putin’s niece? Or at least the daughter of an oligarch close to Putin.

Her being Putin’s niece most likely isn’t accurate (not sure where I read that rumor though), but she is supposed to be highly connected to Putin in some way or other.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:57:42 pm by smjjames »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: March 21, 2018, 02:27:38 am »

It's called a better voting system. See Cpgrey's election videos to see why.

The reason it's better is that it doesn't suffer from splitting the vote. e.g. say there was a left-wing guy with 60% support, and a right-wing guy with 40% support, then obviously the left-wing guy should win. However ... say there was also another left-wing guy who's about as popular as the other left-wing guy, e.g. 60% of people like them more than the right-wing guy. Being logical the winner should be either left-wing guy A or left-wing guy B, since those two guys are the most popular candidates. However, that's not what happens. In the First Past The Post system, each left-wing guy only gets 30% and the right-wing guy gets 40%, meaning he's the winner, even though a majority of the population would have preferred literally any other candidate.

It is suddenly necessary that I explain that ranked voting systems are not actually better. They suffer from exactly the same "paradoxical" (which is a funny way to say "mathematically inevitable but people don't understand the mathematics of voting well enough so they get upset") results as any other voting system (because every voting system does; all that's different is the precise conditions required to cause such a result. In fact, because of Arrow's impossibility theorem, all rank-based voting systems necessarily fail in one of three specific and well-defined ways that other voting systems aren't exposed to.

FPTP is not intended to produce the "most popular candidate" in a general sense, it's intended to produce the candidate most people consider best. A and B are not interchangeable, even if they belong to the same party (remember that parties have no legal standing in the US); if only 30% of people think A is the best, and only 30% of people think B is best, while 40% of people think C is best, then C should win the election. I honestly think this is one of the most correct ways for elections to work.

ETA: I felt like illustrating this with this link on why instant runoff is terrible.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:40:55 am by Maximum Spin »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: March 21, 2018, 10:57:28 am »

except that makes the majority of people unhappy with the results...
EDIT:And in America, it's possible for the person with the most votes to LOSE due to the stupid electoral college

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: March 21, 2018, 12:21:06 pm »

EDIT:And in America, it's possible for the person with the most votes to LOSE due to the stupid electoral college
good old electoral college, the only reason it exists is because the government thought normal people couldn't handle elections
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: March 21, 2018, 05:52:11 pm »

good old electoral college, the only reason it exists is because the government thought normal people couldn't handle elections
No, it exists because before the adoption of the Constitution the states were essentially independent entities, and less-populous states refused to ratify unless they could be promised that the big states wouldn't dominate the political process. Back then, you were a New Yorker (say) first and an American second if at all, and you certainly didn't trust the people in those other states to have your state's interests at heart.

Which, uh, I have to say, looks pretty vindicated.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 779