Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859716 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #6885 on: January 26, 2020, 09:17:13 am »

The global economy currently relies on humans working to get what they need to survive. The global economy needs to change in a way that makes it so humans can receive what they need to live without having to work, since there will eventually be no jobs a human can do better than an AI in a machine. I seem to be the only one in my classes who thinks about this. My economics teacher thinks this is too complicated of subject. I thought macroeconomics was a place to talk about this, apparently my teacher isn’t thinking about this kind of stuff either.

No, you misunderstand. Your economics teacher's job is to teach the fundamentals of economic theory. He certainly does think about those things, but it's his job to keep the class on the rails and prepare the students for the exams. I pretty much bet that every year there's at least one student in (his/her) class who wants to talk about some side topic and how it's super-important to macro-economics, and he had to steer the class back onto the rails.

Your teacher is actually taking the "big picture" in that sense - there are literally a million topics that have some relevance to macroeconomics that could derail his class from the job of teaching the basics of economic theory, and he probably hears a different one every year based on what's trending that year. What you're talking about is applied economics, but you should take the tools from the class and then apply them in your own time. It's not the job of a macroeconomics class to be a mixed bag of exploring every single issue, it's the job of the class to teach you the macroeconomic approach to analysis. Also, presumably people are paying to attend these classes, so yeah, taking time away from the main task that's on the actual exams isn't really helpful. Also:

http://www.economicsdiscussion.net/essays/economics/macroeconomics-approach-content-macroeconomic-analysis-and-other-details/846

“Macroeconomics, then, is that part of the subject which deals with large aggregates and averages of the system rather than with particular items in it and attempts to define these aggregates in a useful manner and to examine their relationships. Professor Gardner Ackley makes the distinction between the two types more clear and specific when he writes, “macroeconomics concerns itself with such variables as the aggregate volume of output in an economy, with the extent to which its resources are employed, with the size of the national income, with the “general price level”.

Microeconomics, on the other hand, deals with the division of total output among industries, products and firms and the allocation of resources among competing uses. It considers problems of income distribution. Its interest is in relative prices of particular goods and services.

So, the stuff you actually wanted to talk about is more on the microeconomics level. Macroeconomics is a specific tool, and it's for specific things. It's wrong to try and shoehorn other topics into that, because that's not what the tool is intended to do.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:40:15 am by Reelya »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: January 26, 2020, 09:49:49 am »

I died in my hardcore mode Minecraft playthrough in the dumbest way possible. I accidentally released shift while building a bridge over a deep ravine and fell into lava. It was going so well...
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: January 26, 2020, 10:02:38 am »

No, you misunderstand. Your economics teacher's job is to teach the fundamentals of economic theory. He certainly does think about those things, but it's his job to keep the class on the rails and prepare the students for the exams. I pretty much bet that every year there's at least one student in (his/her) class who wants to talk about some side topic and how it's super-important to macro-economics, and he had to steer the class back onto the rails.
As an aside, this is the case in every class, regardless of subject. So a plea to anyone who's still in education: DON'T BE AN ATTENTION-HOGGING STUDENT. Pretty please. It's disruptive, self-defeating, and doesn't score you any points with anybody.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: January 26, 2020, 10:45:01 am »

As an aside, this is the case in every class, regardless of subject. So a plea to anyone who's still in education: DON'T BE AN ATTENTION-HOGGING STUDENT. Pretty please. It's disruptive, self-defeating, and doesn't score you any points with anybody.
I waited until after class to discuss these things with him. I pay attention in class like everyone else, waiting until after class to ask these types of questions

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: January 27, 2020, 01:54:43 am »

I waited until after class to discuss these things with him. I pay attention in class like everyone else, waiting until after class to ask these types of questions
That’s vital down-time you’re eating into, man! Teachers are underpaid and overworked, they don’t need some student eager to absorb more of their knowledge actually engaging with the subject matter!

As Reelya suggested. chances are they’re teaching to a test, so teaching you something that isn’t on the test, regardless of your interest, could lead to you not doing the test properly and bad things happening to them/their class/their school as a result.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: January 27, 2020, 05:04:30 am »

You lot make it sound like asking a question is going to bring the end of world ::)

The answers you can get in the time between classes, wouldn't satisfy you anyway NG. You should probably find (or create*) a sort of philosophy/social club where you can meet others and discuss about the stuff that you want. I use the term "club" somewhat loosely, it doesn't have to be an official organisation just a bunch of people that can meet up every now and then. Inviting your teacher or other expert to join you in said club's discussions is probably your best bet, since it could offer them both a more care free enviroment and the time to prepare their thesis.

*Some schools/universities have (un)official forums where you are most likely to find like minded people. I would start there if I were you.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: January 27, 2020, 05:34:23 am »

Call it "the Socrates Club of Asking Questions For the Virtue of Asking Questions in Itself (and Also Overthrowing the Democracy of Athens)"
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: January 27, 2020, 09:50:53 am »

Why do you want to talk to people though? I mean, on the one hand I get it, social species, people offer different perspectives, but on the other, talking to people is frickin’ exhausting.

So is sex, but in an ideal world, I'd like to have both

Yeah, but you can do that one without another person having to be involved.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: January 27, 2020, 03:39:59 pm »

Our insurance company fucked us to the tune of 650$ today.

For varying labyrinthine reasons, a test that my son absolutely must have tomorrow is not covered. We found out today, the day before this test, that we are responsible for the total amount. I called them 3 times in the past to check, and they said it was covered. Turns out its covered under a different section of our insurance which has different coverage amounts. Basically the people i checked with didn't check with the right department, and gave me bad info.

I don't have $6.50, much less $650.00. Luckily I can get the money from someone else, but goddam do I hate doing that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: January 29, 2020, 06:43:44 pm »

Our insurance company fucked us to the tune of 650$ today.

For varying labyrinthine reasons, a test that my son absolutely must have tomorrow is not covered. We found out today, the day before this test, that we are responsible for the total amount. I called them 3 times in the past to check, and they said it was covered. Turns out its covered under a different section of our insurance which has different coverage amounts. Basically the people i checked with didn't check with the right department, and gave me bad info.

I don't have $6.50, much less $650.00. Luckily I can get the money from someone else, but goddam do I hate doing that.

Yeah, insurance companies have gotten shittier over time, and now just ignore their obligations. My solutions involve guillotines.

Although that is starting to push the "mildly" in the title here. Mildly upset is more like "my dumb joke about Constellation Brands (people who import Corona) trying to go viral before the superbowl" went unnoticed.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: January 29, 2020, 07:23:54 pm »

Iduno, I get your joke

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: January 30, 2020, 11:43:25 pm »

wow, they seem to have just kinda' straight fucked warcraft 3

someone, somewhere, thought fucking the old client with an extra 20+ gigs of bloat

and just, all this other shit

was a good idea

and just, like

wow

thanks for fucking things up this badly

actually meaningfully considering just straight up uninstalling everything blizzard and boycotting even the free crap right now

you hard fucked with TFT, blizzard

you don't hard fuck with TFT
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: January 30, 2020, 11:43:59 pm »

What have they changed?

Edit:

Customers are complaining about connectivity issues. They can’t reliably connect to custom matches. They can’t access custom campaigns that worked just fine previously. There’s no support for a competitive ladder. Making matters worse is the fact that there’s simply no going back; even if you install the original Warcraft 3, you’re still going to end up with the same issues once you connect to Blizzard’s online services because the infrastructure is now the same for both the old and the new versions of the game

:/

Also apparently the graphics update didnt go as far away as they were claiming
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:48:14 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: January 30, 2020, 11:50:35 pm »

Like, okay. There's a twenty gig hard drive footprint now. Not just for folks that bought into reforged. Fucking everyone. The client sucks up 1.5 gigs of ram doing fuckall, and loads like ass. You apparently have to log into bnet to do literally fucking anything. There's a play offline button, but it's greyed out. More than that I don't know. That login screen had me look at it for a few minutes, fiddle with the options a bit, and then quit in disgust. People are saying a bunch of shit doesn't work, the EULA for map creation is now a massive get-fucked to creators, there's no custom campaigns, no LAN, there's just... all sorts of shit. All equally inflicted on the non-reforged versions.

Just. To hell with this shit, yo'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: January 30, 2020, 11:54:10 pm »

Wait- they busted play offline even for the old version??? Fucking hell

I still have the disks so I could presumably install through there and use the latest non toxic patch...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 779