Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855523 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9825 on: May 06, 2022, 01:14:28 am »

We had a chicken with an egg that broke inside her, which ... my housemate/landlord had surgically removed ...

Godspeed little chicky-doo!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: May 06, 2022, 10:15:05 am »

The people I'm helping audit for don't like my boss and are providing progressively worse and less-organized information, making my job slower and harder
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9827 on: May 06, 2022, 11:58:26 am »

...just wait till you get to the obviously false information they insist you enter without question.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: May 08, 2022, 09:28:17 pm »

Nah that's the other local government unit. The fact that a certain corporation's CEO shows up to every meeting, everyone else set to present 'mysteriously' doesn't make it, and it's impossible to tell the unit even exists because the website just links to the corporation's website is all a coincidence, we promise!

Blatantly false information is more common when we're working on taxes anyway

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: May 09, 2022, 08:50:47 am »

The son of a former dictator is more or less winning by the preview of the results of the voter turnout today.

Tiruin, if she's still around I would argue would feel the same.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: May 09, 2022, 09:23:16 pm »

Fake news makes the world go round.

By which I mean that’s why the dictator’s son is winning. Apparently his dad was not a dictator he was saving the country or something.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: May 09, 2022, 10:08:40 pm »

I'd imagine the opponent isn't as well-funded, and can't put out as much propaganda. It also helps if you have your government already backing you.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: May 09, 2022, 10:53:50 pm »

Fake news makes the world go round.

By which I mean that’s why the dictator’s son is winning. Apparently his dad was not a dictator he was saving the country or something.

Or so the mythology goes. Fake News is an epidemic that needs to be treated. Facebook and other forms of social media should be heavily monitored by groups, such as the FCC (lol, if only it really worked as it should), and they should not be allowed to spout whatever nonsense they say.

I'd imagine the opponent isn't as well-funded, and can't put out as much propaganda. It also helps if you have your government already backing you.

Given the opponent's sterling reputation in terms of good governance, versus being the son of the late dictator who plundered the country, yes, in relative comparison she isn't well funded at all.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: May 09, 2022, 11:16:06 pm »

It's hard to have funding when you don't steal and do things honestly.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: May 10, 2022, 12:37:58 am »

The problem with dealing with fake news is that things need to be verified as true or false before they can be taken down. That takes time that the people posting the fake news in the first place don’t have to worry about: just fire out a post and hope it gets traction.

“A lie is halfway round the world before the truth even has its boots on” is quite true.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: May 10, 2022, 03:01:29 am »

That's not true, I've already heard.
Love, scriver~

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: May 10, 2022, 08:00:25 am »

Latest of my translation disasters (that would be fifth in a row, by the way). Idly checked out VN site to see what schlock they translate this time around, and noticed that someone just started translation project of old VN i very much liked, and is asking for helpers. So i go ask him: "Hey, want me to translate me this piece?" (Alas, i never have enough patience for more than a piece). And he answers: "Huh, i actaully wanted to do it with autotranslator and editing, but you may as well, for comparsion."
*rude expressions of disdain and anger screamed into a laptop*
And this twit actually has the gall to call himself translator. But since i so desperately wanted to translate something, and didn't expect it to be of actual use anyways, i may as well translate the thing anyways.  ::)
Now i know why he asked for corrector in particular. And that actually would be editor. Editor with no self-respect that edits the "work" of someone who doesn't even try, for free.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 08:02:21 am by MCreeper »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: May 10, 2022, 08:51:59 am »

That's...something. I know some people take extreme pride in their translation work, and rightfully, it's sometimes extremely difficult. It's crazy to me that someone would badly automate it and then try to make people edit their work for free.

My knees and hips have started acting up since I went to a concert on Saturday so I'll probably have to go to the doctor. sigh

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: May 10, 2022, 08:56:56 am »

That's...something. I know some people take extreme pride in their translation work, and rightfully, it's sometimes extremely difficult. It's crazy to me that someone would badly automate it and then try to make people edit their work for free.
To be fair, i jumped to assumptions there. Probably he wanted nothing of the sort and was actually just having trouble with commas. But such people do exist! I have once read a hilarious article from editor. He was complaining about book editors who butcher author's work without as much as letting him know (and honestly thinking they make it better) and good-for-nothings who pretty much use gullible editors to write nice books for themselves. He concluded that right and proper editor never edits anything himself, only points out wrong places, explains why they are wrong, but does not offer a solution.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 09:17:12 am by MCreeper »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: May 10, 2022, 09:29:18 am »

To be fair, i jumped to assumptions there. He probably wanted nothing of the sort and was actually just having trouble with commas.

But such people do exist! I once read a hilarious article from an editor. He was complaining about editors who butcher the author's work without so much as letting him know (while honestly thinking they made it better) and good-for-nothing authors who pretty much use gullible editors to write nice books for them. He concluded that a right and proper editor never edits anything himself, he should only point out the mistakes without suggesting his own solution.

FTFY. How did I do?

I’ve actually done a lot of paid editing work btw, but I worked on Visa applications written by people who barely speak English. My job was just to get them into the country, and I was given a lot control over how I pursued that goal.

Sometimes that involves polishing actual turds, but I pulled it off. Thanks to me, there are people in this country who didn’t deserve to be and I don’t know how I feel about that. Especially since they were mainly the kids of rich parents.

Edit: Now that you edited your post, I don’t think mine is going to have the impact it once did.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 09:32:17 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 778