Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859704 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #10890 on: March 06, 2023, 03:38:06 am »

Alternatively get enough influence and power so that people have to listen to you no matter how squealy your voice sounds.

(It worked for Putin)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10891 on: March 06, 2023, 07:55:12 am »

When you say “shit doesn’t change”, what is it that’s not changing?

You're just going to tell me to try again and expect better results.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10892 on: March 06, 2023, 08:05:43 am »

I dont know where this went overnight, but the single best thing I did for my own anxiety and self-wroth was to seriously take up a basic yoga/stretch routine and put in the work to actually do a mediation every day where I allow myself to experience all the things that bothered me.

If nothing out there ever changes than the only thing left to do is develop some more agency over yourself and change you in a way that removes all that discomfort.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10893 on: March 06, 2023, 07:02:09 pm »

I too can vouch for physical activity like that - yoga, callisthenics, stretching - something you can do in the quiet of your room so that you can think about the movement, feel each muscle and tendon as they move, get to know your body (another cliche, but still). Makes you feel more in control, like you're in the driver's seat.
But I think Roboto has already taken up working out recently, so I'd say he's on the right track.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10894 on: March 06, 2023, 08:49:15 pm »

General soreness from Jitsu, plus jaw pain from someone showing me a pressure point and the tendon in the back of my knee being a bit bruised.

Usually the soreness is weirdly pleasant, like a reminder that I've exerted myself, but these two just suck.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10895 on: March 06, 2023, 09:21:32 pm »

Ouch.  I hate when I push myself too far.  I overstressed some tendons yesterday with weighted hiking, because the weather was beautiful and I'd finally (mostly) freed myself from weeks of pneumonia.

Not the same as what you're describing, except that it went from a good satisfying ache to an annoying concern.  It got me to finally do some proper stretches though, and hopefully I'll grow from it.  I need/want to be strong.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10896 on: March 07, 2023, 08:47:53 pm »

If it's your knees, you can mitigate it but they're really shittily designed. Odds are you'll deal with knee pain on a frequent basis.

Same with back, really, although that's more chronic. We evolved to stand upright faster than we evolved to properly support it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10897 on: March 07, 2023, 08:57:50 pm »

Drunk me says wild shit.

Like, I agree with him, but bro, where's the filter lmfao

P:  its true across all spectrums too.  Like I'll be honest about art or music or anything too.  In a way that still astounds if not surprises me when all I want to do is meditate my problems away
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 08:59:36 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10898 on: March 08, 2023, 09:50:50 pm »

Feist's 1234 is stuck in my head, and not for the first time.

It'd be fine if I liked it, but I actively dislike that song. It's just something that keeps popping up in my brain. I wouldn't even know about it if Apple didn't use it in an advert like... ten years ago or something.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10899 on: March 09, 2023, 04:05:44 pm »

My birthday is getting closer and I'm not happy about it. Also the wires in my computer keep coming loose and I can't tell if the cables or the ports on the motherboard are more to blame.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10900 on: March 09, 2023, 09:34:20 pm »

Upset again at the lack of diversity in my diet. If there's anything that I feel guarantees me an early death, it's the diet comprised almost entirely of empty carbs, sugar, meat, salt, and fat that I have maintained since childhood into my thirties. The absence of fiber in my diet is the most pressing concern, as my bathroom breaks have, historically speaking, been long, painful, and bloody; and only fiber can save my stupid ass.

I've finally steeled myself to eat a can of baked beans, for the precious fiber. I have no special reason to dislike baked beans, except that they have not been a part of my diet at all at any portion of my life, and so I'm psychologically biased against them. I know, logically, that there are only five flavors: Salt, Sweet, Sour, Bitter, and Umami; everything is a combination of these flavors, with no exceptions. My logical brain knows that I can handle any of these flavors, I've tried and acclimated to worse.

To ease the transition however, the can of baked beans I got were Brown Sugar cured baked beans, to appeal to my own love of sweet things. Warming it up on the stove, I have to psychically fight off the mental comparison of the beans to a Dinner my Mom had made me once, that was infested with meal worms: little maggot-like creatures. (She had done this because she was drunk or high, I can't remember which).

Eating the beans, they're actually tolerable at first. The taste isn't bad. "I knew it, it's fine! Everything is going to be fine from now on. That's the mantra: it's fine! IT'S FINE. IT'S FINE. IT'S FINE. and you know what? Everything's actually fine." but I think I thought too soon, cause the soft texture of the beans starts to nag at me. It isn't long before I start to feel nauseated, and my stomach is starting to turn and grow hostile. I have to stop halfway through.

I'm just a little upset at myself. The high fiber diet that my ancient ancestors thrived on is lost on me. Apparently if it isn't highly processed garbage devoid of any meaningful nutrition, my palate just refuses outright. I'd like to be healthier, but fuck if it isn't a second job on top of my already stressful and joyless life.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10901 on: March 09, 2023, 10:16:28 pm »

I get about 17g of fiber from what I'd call "supplement food." So in addition the other food I eat, which probably doesn't have a lot of fiber, I still get enough fiber that I "solved" my issues. I used to have all the symptoms you describe because my diet was pretty bad. I did clean up my diet by about 60%, and that had the biggest impact on making pooping not a harrowing event. But the daily, regular constant fiber additions to my diet have also helped stabilized things. I'm not even at the daily recommended amount of fiber, but I'd say I haven't been scared to poop in about 3 years. This is how you know you're getting old, when you have to start thinking strategically about pooping :P

So here's what I added.

Quest Protein Bars. 13g of fiber. I eat one a day. It's a processed protein bar and it's not exactly cheap. But it's got a lot of fiber, a lot of protein, and with non-sugar sweetners and a lot of different flavors, it's easily a dessert bar to my palette. Their flavor wizards know what they're doing.

Kiwi Fruit. 2.1g of fiber if you eat it without the skin, 3.5g of fiber if you do. Sounds like you're a picky eater when it comes to texture, so I dunno how you'll fair. But they're sweet, a little tangy, close in flavor to Strawberries. I get one of those a day. You gotta eat them before they go soft though or I'm sure the texture will be a problem. (I cut the ends off, slice it into quarters, the cut out the pith in the middle. I think? it's edible but I just want the actual fruit. The skin doesn't bother me at all.)

Psylllium Husks. Can buy a bottle of 500 at Walmart for like 20 bucks. 1.1g of fiber per pill. It's not a lot of fiber per pill, but you can adjust for what you did (or didn't eat) eat accordingly. They're just an easy, quick, natural way to add vegetable fiber to your diet that you don't need to eat.

I'm just a little upset at myself. The high fiber diet that my ancient ancestors thrived on is lost on me. Apparently if it isn't highly processed garbage devoid of any meaningful nutrition, my palate just refuses outright. I'd like to be healthier, but fuck if it isn't a second job on top of my already stressful and joyless life.

Two things I'd say.

1. It's about creating easy habits to follow. Even better if they're habits you can enjoy. Like taking vitamins. It's a thing that takes seconds to do but improves your life. It's something worth doing every day. Or brushing. Yeah it takes a little longer, it's tedious and makes you confront your own dental issues....but literally getting bacteria out of your mouth so it doesn't flow down into the rest of your body is worth doing every day. Rituals like that give you purpose too, that's easy to sell short despite how good it is for you mentally and physically. Little things like that help you feel like you're at least steering your life to some degree.

2. Hunger is the best flavor enhancer of all. I grew up a picky eater. Hotdogs, pizza, fried chicken or pasta. If it wasn't in one of those food groups I didn't like it. My habits improved through my teenage years a little, I at least ate more adventurously. But I didn't like fruit, or any veggies that weren't key to the things I already liked (I still kinda don't), and by my 30s I was living on a fastfood/processed diet full time because I could afford to. Blah blah blah, I got into fitness as you know....but doing all that left me hungry and when I turned to mostly single ingredient foods instead of garbage.....the food actually tasted good. I had to literally detox my palette so it could taste real flavors again, because processed food flavors are like crack for your tongue. Doritos are literally dusted in MSG so they taste better and you eat more. You gotta get off the tongue crack first before you can appreciate real food again. And the best way I found to do that was be really hungry after doing physical activity and yeah, restricting my calories. Suddenly plain popcorn with a bit of salt on it had flavor I could appreciate again. Some roasted almonds with some sea salt. A teaspoon of honey for maximum natural sweetness. Fruit started tasting amazing. I even was able to appreciate some of the greenier flavors of vegetables. There's a bit of suffering and resilience you have to be willing to undertake to get "clean" but it's worth it. And it doesn't mean you have to stop eating things you "actually" like....you just need to eat them a lot less and treat them as exceptions rather than rules of how you eat. When I get a soda now, which I still love....I get about 2/3rds through it and it's so surpassed my sweet tolerance that I often don't want to finish it. This is from a guy who used to drink 3 to 4 Mountain Dews a day.

It's all doable but you gotta intentionally rewire your brain and I know that's not easy. I knew I had to make a change when I'd run through the list of things I felt motivated enough to drive and get, or order.....and nothing brought me satisfaction thinking about it. Everything was bleh. Now I look forward to pretty much every meal, and go find good ones if what's in front of me isn't to taste.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:26:39 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10902 on: March 09, 2023, 10:36:19 pm »

At the risk of giving you advice that you've already heard, I managed to add milk and eggs (both foods I hated for my entire life) to my diet. For all I know, maybe you hate beans and oats and other fiber sources more than I ever hated eggs and milk, but I'd suggest the following:
- Small portions until you can tolerate more. For me this was eating one egg in the morning and a juice glass worth of milk in a day, nothing more.
- Chase it with something you like. For me this was a mouthful of black coffee between bites.
- If you can, cook it yourself. Could be just a personal thing, but I still can't really eat eggs unless I'm the one who cooked them.
- Accept that this stuff might not end up being your favorite food. You don't have to love a particular food to be able to have it in your diet.

This is more or less my experience on the topic, for what it's worth.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10903 on: March 09, 2023, 10:44:25 pm »

I really appreciate your feedback Nenjin, you're always a very wholesome and helpful person.

I've tried psyllium husk before, and it's amazing, it just works wonders... but there's a part of me that doesn't trust it, because I'm opening myself up to the utter absence of regulation that the 'supplement' industry enjoys, I could be subtly poisoning myself with fucking anything. Now, it'd be a pretty big story if people were getting sick off of Metamucil, and despite all my own positive experiences, I don't want to gulp down the candied lies on the bottle too readily. Intuitively, I'd think extracting the fiber from food sources, not supplement sources, would be best; but damn does the psyllium husk work miracles when I'm in trouble on the toilet.

Though to be honest, my efforts to get the fiber from food sources has been half-assed at best. Preparing a vegetable heavy meal actually takes skill, time, and motivation; the things I'm the most drained of and don't have on a day-to-day basis.

You're 100% right about the exercise though. Getting my shit together enough to force myself to exercise is something I really have no excuse for; I guess I'm just ungrateful of the life I've been given. I suppose I do have the excuse that I'm drained after work, and I just want to relax and not spend more time working; but I've been unemployed for long stretches of time and just laid-about for basically all of it. I'm just ungrateful, and suffering for it.

At the risk of giving you advice that you've already heard, I managed to add milk and eggs (both foods I hated for my entire life) to my diet. For all I know, maybe you hate beans and oats and other fiber sources more than I ever hated eggs and milk, but I'd suggest the following:
- Small portions until you can tolerate more. For me this was eating one egg in the morning and a juice glass worth of milk in a day, nothing more.
- Chase it with something you like. For me this was a mouthful of black coffee between bites.
- If you can, cook it yourself. Could be just a personal thing, but I still can't really eat eggs unless I'm the one who cooked them.
- Accept that this stuff might not end up being your favorite food. You don't have to love a particular food to be able to have it in your diet.

This is more or less my experience on the topic, for what it's worth.

Really not a bad idea. Exposure therapy works. I might also just have to also not look at the food. I've been poked by a lot of needles, and I know they're harmless and painless, but I still get antsy and nervous when I see a needle.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10904 on: March 09, 2023, 10:48:15 pm »

I have a big bowl of frosted mini wheat things that gets me most of my fiber intake, but things like granola bars also have some fiber in them.  Pretty sure there are even things specifically designed like that for extra fiber also. Last I saw them in the store they were with protein shake kinda stuff if you’re interested in looking for them. (Which I just noticed nenjin also said)

Beans are weird though. I personally quite like baked beans, utterly fucking loathe kidney beans.

But yeah, what nenjin said. You just have to start getting in the habit of working fiber in somewhere (it was breakfast for me) and you’ll eventually be craving that shit out of habit.

Daily amount of fiber is meant to be 24g but I don’t think I get much near that, and prior to my stomach virus earlier in the week I was pooping sometimes multiple times a day.

Veggies are good too, even getting frozen veggies you chuck in the microwave for 5 minutes while you cook the rest of the meal is better than without.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 779