Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855387 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #11505 on: February 03, 2024, 10:26:44 pm »

Hope you come out of it alright. May a long covid not follow your short one.

I would never buy parasitic wasps to prey on anything no matter how much the prey thing hurt me. Those things are literally the worst fucking thing in the ecosystem. They should be wiped out
For what it's worth, lacewings don't seem to be wasps and only a few of them (some species of mantis flies, specifically) seem to be parasites, so you'd probably be good, there.

Not sure if many wasp species, parasitic or otherwise, are recommended under... basically any circumstances... as a population control method, really. Attempts to use a predator species like that tends to prefer ones that aren't quite so human hostile.

There were other insects in the link

Parasitic wasps aren’t that bad? Like… they’ll prey on the things they need for their life cycle, which tend to be pests. They don’t cause issues beyond that so I’m pretty sure they do get used to deal with pest species.

The things they do to their prey are pretty horrible, sure, but that’s nature.

They're the most disgusting things in existance have you seen their bodies they're shaped like pure horror

Naaaah, what they do to their prey is the horrific part.

The tarantula attacked by the tarantula hawk wasp is still living when it gets attacked and dragged away. The wasp then lays an egg on it,  the egg develops, hatches, and the larva makes a hole in the spider, slips inside and eats it from the inside out, all the whole avoiding organs to keep the spider alive as long as possible.

Lepidopterans are the true aesthetic horror, especially the nocturnal varieties.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: February 04, 2024, 11:04:30 am »

I swear the Christmas holidays has done something to the people in my halls and removed any sense of empathy.

At first I thought it was just one of the girls in my hall. She's hardly been the best at caring for shared spaces anyways (Leaving hair all over the showers, leaving cutlery and crockery out, clogging the sink with sink soup and leaving everyone else to clean it up) but it's gotten worse and the other night she was singing until 2am.

But last night some fuck had set an alarm to go off every hour from 3am, then spent 15 minutes talking at the top of his voice. How heavily I sleep varies, and last night I was sleeping really lightly, so he woke me up. I didn't get to sleep properly until 8 in the fucking morning because of that cunt. Don't know who it is either, but I'm sticking a sticky note on the front door politely telling people to shut the fuck up at night because some of us actually like sleeping.

EDIT: And after they fixed the hot water yesterday, it's gone out again. Great.

So today:

Slept till 4pm since I'd got very little sleep until 8am, missed Jitsu and daylight in general, I'm tired, anxious, and I've had to have a cold shower. Also someone went and left their trousers in the bathroom, so I yeeted that into the corridor. At this point I just don't give a fuck.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 01:31:51 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: February 04, 2024, 03:06:39 pm »

The tarantula attacked by the tarantula hawk wasp is still living when it gets attacked and dragged away. The wasp then lays an egg on it,  the egg develops, hatches, and the larva makes a hole in the spider, slips inside and eats it from the inside out, all the whole avoiding organs to keep the spider alive as long as possible.
A unique way to keep your food fresh.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: February 04, 2024, 09:24:15 pm »

Lepidopterans are the true aesthetic horror, especially the nocturnal varieties.

Oh yeah the animal that eats the other from the inside that's fine, but those night butterflies freak me out.  :D

These little (filthy) fluffsters? The shape of their face bears no agression? Round eyes, mostly looking like only 2 of them... with a curly tongue that slurps on nectar and other sweet stuff. I think seing a butterflies tongue come out should defuse any fears?! Like the big stinger looking part wow ok... but then looking closer there is just a little goofy tongue wiggling around at the end. Oh no is it going to tickle me?

They wear a lot of dust in their coat tho, usually.

Ok looks like the calyptra could pierce wtf. Hm. Maybe throw some salt at your least favourite neighbours yard.

On second thought... Butterflies do enjoy our tears  :D
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: February 05, 2024, 04:56:09 am »

I didn't even Google Lepidopterans because I didn't want to look at icky bugs. I can't believe it was butterflies, this is a trolling
Love, scriver~

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: February 05, 2024, 08:59:58 am »

Wait until you see Maratus volans.

Honestly I don't get the massive ick factor with insects. Except craneflies, something about those proportions slam my panic button. I had a practical where we got to handle stick insects and I was the only one in the group willing to. Kind of pathetic for a group of zoologists-to-be.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: February 05, 2024, 09:41:56 am »

I'm fine with basically all invertebrates except marine worms. They're just kind of gross and I don't like touching them. Everything else is more or less fine, all the way to outright cute and pleasant to handle.

Small moths are annoying though. Too small to easily catch and put outside, so they just flap around electronics making a nuisance of themselves.

I actually kind of want to get a few more pet bugs, currently have a giant snail and used to have stick insects, plus feeder bugs for my lizard before he passed away. A whip scorpion and a scorpion would be pretty neat to have. Don't have space for them though.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: February 05, 2024, 09:52:18 am »

Marine worms are icky because everything that comes out of the sea is icky - it's full of fish piss.
let

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: February 05, 2024, 11:37:06 am »

If it weren't for photographic evidence, I would not believe that there is a spider with a shaggy beard that has a picture of a spider on its back.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: February 05, 2024, 12:07:43 pm »

If it weren't for photographic evidence, I would not believe that there is a spider with a shaggy beard that has a picture of a spider on its back.

Maratus as a whole are just plain amazing little critters. Really all jumping spiders are, but the peacock genus is just so extra. It's a shame they're so small, if they were bigger we might be able to hear them sing as they dance, as is the vibrations are out of our hearing range.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: February 05, 2024, 09:20:33 pm »

Maratus as a whole are just plain amazing little critters. Really all jumping spiders are, but the peacock genus is just so extra. It's a shame they're so small, if they were bigger we might be able to hear them sing as they dance, as is the vibrations are out of our hearing range.

Someone should make a GoFundMe to develop an extra sensitive hypercardioid parabolic microphone to record it, and then stretch the audio waveform out until it's within the Barry White spectrum.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: February 06, 2024, 02:12:08 am »

Someone should make a GoFundMe to develop an extra sensitive hypercardioid parabolic microphone to record it, and then stretch the audio waveform out until it's within the Barry White spectrum.

There is stuff done with vibration detecting lasers, but it's not the same as being able to hear them click and hum directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7qMqAgCqME&ab_channel=DeepLook
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: February 06, 2024, 02:45:07 am »

Was reading a serial before going to bed, wanted to see the conclusion of the latest cliffhanger. Continued forward and ended up with more than I bargained for and a passage that really struck a personal nerve with me. I was already staying up late due to cliffhangers, but now I can't imagine how I'm going to fall asleep tonight due to the state my emotions are in. And I need to wake up pretty early today.

As for the book itself, I think I'm going to have to put it down for a while. I'm invested in the story and there's some genuinely great writing in there, but I can't ignore the impact reading it has been having on my mental health. I need to prioritize my ability to be a functioning member of society.

I don't know if I've just become fragile due to tough times taking there toll on me, or an author has finally found the chink my emotional armour. Either way, I feel ashamed for not being able to consume good art.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: February 06, 2024, 03:46:07 am »

Spoiler: rant (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 03:54:30 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: February 06, 2024, 11:42:02 am »

Do something useful with it. Go do pushups until your body wants to explode. That's what I did and it turned into years of working out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 778