Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 62

Author Topic: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord  (Read 106966 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
« Reply #525 on: April 09, 2020, 01:57:23 pm »

Well free peasants are the same as free corpses, but they are useful for quick cavalry! (peasant > watchman > mercenary scout cav(?)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 09, 2020, 01:57:53 pm »

The invisible sergeants are the real heroes of Bannerlord.

You actually do get sergeants in huge battles, which is kind of cool.  I joined my liege in a 500x500 battle with multiple hero characters on each side, and I got command of the cavalry, so I had the normal battle interface but only for the cavalry, and the leader would give orders periodically that I had to pass to my troops with the command tab.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 09, 2020, 02:36:13 pm »

Nenjin, regarding your leadership issues (no offense), skills level up based upon the perks assigned and underlying stat, which is why those zero stat recruits only get their skills up to 1, as it plateaus at that point.  So no investment in either the stat or the skill means its not going very far.  Conversely, its entirely possible to over-invest.  I still don't understand the basic mechanics myself, but maybe you can "fix" your character by adding a perk on your next level up or even boosting charisma at the three level point.  Isn't there something about having a maxed out party that also gives leadership?  I just saw that on a tool tip, doesn't mean its accurate, although my maxed out peasant army did seem to have a max party size that went up every week or so.  Also: Peasants are free (no upkeep except food), you only have to pay them when the level up.

I hadn't seen the tooltip about max party size affecting leadership gains. Anyways, players always start with two points in all stats and I've put three focus in to leadership, but you still only seem to get 1 point "sometimes" in the high 60s, low 70s of party morale. It's just not very clear, and likely really underbalanced.

You actually do get sergeants in huge battles, which is kind of cool.  I joined my liege in a 500x500 battle with multiple hero characters on each side, and I got command of the cavalry, so I had the normal battle interface but only for the cavalry, and the leader would give orders periodically that I had to pass to my troops with the command tab.

That's pretty neat.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 03:00:37 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 09, 2020, 02:42:32 pm »

Gotta say, Bannerlord Big Battles are much better and surprisingly cinematic compared to Warband.

EDIT: I think I'm going to start a new Master Criminal run, i'll let y'all how much the systems are implemented there--I hear there are some big holes in player banditry and thuggery.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 03:31:19 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 09, 2020, 03:35:10 pm »

I was training leadership and farming influence by forming an army of just my clan's parties.  Requesting they join your army costs no/little influence.  As well you gain influence for every party in an army, even your own.  Haven't done that for a few updates.  No idea if it's been fixed or if the devs consider it a bug.

Also at half million bucks and wish it was easier to get to 200 trade, so I can just buy people's lands from them.  (Breaking down weapons, then forming caravans, and a lot of time)

I'm quite interested how the lineage system will work with how long it takes to skill up.  Will your kids gain your focuses?  If so then that would be fine since the more overly focused in something to your skill level the faster the gain.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 09, 2020, 03:37:53 pm »

the Trade skill baffles me--it might be because my main save was several updates ago--but I pull in thousands a day, tens of thousands a week sometimes and... narp, nothing it's at like... 30. I got 300K in the bank and have definitely turned over a million+

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 09, 2020, 03:57:29 pm »

I'm at 22 trade, one focus point and soc 4.  Day 409.  849K gold.  Some skills just gain way to slowly.  Need to be increased and we need trainers.  Especially for skills like rogue, engineer, really any skill you don't skill up by hitting people/things.  Meanwhile my stewardship is at 132, 12 points past my focus.

Or at least more possible companions with these skills.  I can find a few with 60 rogue, 1 with 60 tactics, 2 with 60 medicine.  Can't find anyone to take on half the clan roles.  Assigned someone to engineer to see if they would skill up.  I guess they helped me set up a ram and a tower a few times, they gained 2 points of skill after 2 sieges.

Been playing the same save since .2, hope future versions can fix this.  Bring back books, add trainers, balance skill gain, have companions available to fill holes.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 09, 2020, 04:24:19 pm »

Birthday today.
*paper birthday horn noises echoing through an empty room*

Got a steam card that I decided to spend on this game.  I played Warband a lot, anything as a new player to bannerlord I need to know?  Major bugs to avoid, softlocks, crashes, skills that sound useful but are not yet implemented, anything like that?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 04:26:42 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 09, 2020, 04:48:30 pm »

Trading and cashflow seem to be more central to success than in Warband. Cashflow is a big issue, and you can find yourself easily going bankrupt w/o some sort of trade operation. (it's expensive to maintain a 100+ band)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 09, 2020, 04:54:08 pm »

I'm at 2 Social, 4 focus points in trade and I'm pushing 60 skill. Might be an issue with your saves.

Got a steam card that I decided to spend on this game.  I played Warband a lot, anything as a new player to bannerlord I need to know?  Major bugs to avoid, softlocks, crashes, skills that sound useful but are not yet implemented, anything like that?

It's by and large still basically Warband, just a few more bells and whistles. A fair number of perks don't seem to work, but, they're also advanced ones that you have to put a lot of time in to unlock. Generally I don't think there's much to watch out for atm, they've done a lot of crash fixing of late. Main quest might still soft lock in some places, but others have reported its fine. I think a lot of people's issues stem from continuing to play the same save over multiple patches. It might work but I'd bet money that half of that shit remains broken and/or buggy until you start a fresh game, especially as you get deep in to the vassal/independent nation side of things.

Trading and cashflow seem to be more central to success than in Warband. Cashflow is a big issue, and you can find yourself easily going bankrupt w/o some sort of trade operation. (it's expensive to maintain a 100+ band)

I.e., once you hit Rep 3. At Rep 2 you can have like 75 guys (perks withstanding) and once they're all more or less upgraded you're looking at about 400 denars a day. It's always paid to have a sizable warchest in M&B for times when things are lean. But really, once you're taking down groups of 30+ anythings, the amount of weapons you get and smelting them down in to metal is enough sellable resources that maintaining your warband isn't hard.

The biggest difference is that you have to do smithing at all. It's not like Warband where you get showered in weapons and high quality armor you can just sell to stay afloat. Lower level armors aren't worth much, mid level armor drops are rare from bandits and general trash, so smelting those weapons down to sell the metal is where the real money is at.

Also horses. Get as many horses as you can. More horses = more movement speed & carrying capacity. Without a lot of horses you both can't trade nor carry enough food to support your army. They don't have to be good horses, but if you want both the speed increases and the carrying capacity, they need to be better than just mules.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 09, 2020, 05:23:13 pm »

Join a faction that's at war and raid their enemies caravans.  They get ignored most of the time and there's a good few places on the world map where retreating AI just get stuck.  It's were I've gotten most of my food, horses and a decent amount of money. 

Also depends on who you are fighting.  I think I'm responsible for the now roughly 10 desert horses in all the cities of the north west from the hundreds I've sold while at war with Asaria(sp).  Their lords would just reform their free 40 man force and run out of their remaining city into my 120. 

As has been mentioned there's a good chance you'll run into weapons you've crafted.  Especially if you dumped a bunch into one town.  Kind of neat that stuff moves around via caravans. 

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 09, 2020, 07:03:06 pm »

Rhomphalias are a thing of beauty. When I first won one in a tournament, I didn't think much of it. I knew that the falx was a good weapon, and this was just a falx on a stick, right?
Wrong. The falx hits like a truck, but this thing hits like a truck on a stick. I've been using it on horseback, and I'm hitting for about 200 damage per swing on average. More importantly, it can reach farther than most polearms used by any faction's foot soldiers, meaning with a little maneuvering you can pick off infantry with near impunity. Enemy horseman aren't safe either, possibly even less so; at full speed, I can hit for about 300 or more, meaning it doesn't matter if I hit the horse or the rider, I've ruined someone's day.
It's also really, really fun to use. I had trouble landing hits at first due to the timing and distance, but once it clicked I basically had a couched lance that hits from the side. The curved blade has a way of wrapping around certain shields to hit enemies who aren't blocking properly, and once I somehow managed to kill two enemies in the same swing. It's satisfying as hell when you get it right.

Having said that, tt's not a perfect weapon. That long reach actually works against you in some circumstances. More than a few enemies have gotten away due to the blade catching on a boulder or tree trunk, and you get the same result if you try to use it anywhere near allies. I haven't tried using it in an urban environment, but I expect it wouldn't go so well.

In short, the rhomphalia probably isn't the sort of weapon you want to use in a siege battle or dense forest, but in an open field it is a devastating and extremely satisfying weapon.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 09, 2020, 07:10:20 pm »

Also horses. Get as many horses as you can. More horses = more movement speed & carrying capacity. Without a lot of horses you both can't trade nor carry enough food to support your army. They don't have to be good horses, but if you want both the speed increases and the carrying capacity, they need to be better than just mules.
1. Pack type animals: Mule, Camel, and Sumpter Horses
They provide 100 cargo capacity.  They do not provide any other bonus.
2. Just about any other mount type animals.
Provide 20 cargo capacity.   Unequipped mount per footmen = increases party speed until you hit 1:1 ratio, no speed benefits beyond that.
3. Food animals: Pig, Cow, and Goat
Walking bags of food.

Animals will slow you down if you have too many.  Some ratio of 5(?) animals per party member.  Any more will cause a herd speed debuff.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 09, 2020, 07:20:03 pm »

Meanwhile I've been using the War Razor. I don't know if it's that particular curved sword 2handed version or if all two-handed swords are like this but....man it has a lot of different attack animations and angles. You can hit anyone from pretty much in any position from pretty much any position. I think you can even hit you right side with a swing started from the left. It's like your guy has swivel shoulders that have 360 range of motion. There are times I do attacks with it and I'm just like....the animation doesn't look bad or unbelievable, but my brain is like "that shouldn't really work." Like overhead chopping a dude from horseback.

Funny when they won't let you shoot your bow over your mount's right side but you can put 7 feet of steel through its neck and still kill a guy.

I dunno, I think there's always been a long range bias in M&B. Archery > Lances > Polearms > Two-handers > 1-handers. At least in SP, it's hard to justify the one-handers once you can wield a two-handed sword one-handed. The difference in swing speed doesn't feel nearly as important as the difference in length. That said I'm slightly interested to try daggers, and see if they can exploit the hitboxes of longer weapons that can't really hit you or deal damage with the hafts.

Addendum: I'm not sure loading your game with different modules and resaving it applies everything in the patches. For example, they say they fixed asking about the battle of Pendraic immediately ending conversations after they give their response a few patches ago. But it still happens in my game. I'm gonna restart.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 07:43:43 pm by nenjin »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 09, 2020, 08:02:56 pm »

I heard that food no longer spoils? Seems odd they would get rid of such a realistic and natural logistics problem.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 62