Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 73

Author Topic: Latin American Politics: Moralism  (Read 95000 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Peace and Love with Corporal Daciolo
« Reply #510 on: October 06, 2018, 03:24:55 am »

the words far-right and liberal just don't mesh, like, don't even compute together.
It's clear that you have never been to Australia.  :P

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Election Time
« Reply #511 on: October 07, 2018, 04:39:31 pm »

Voting is closed, and now the wait beings with great trepidation.

Here's to hoping I don't to redact a bunch of posts.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 07, 2018, 07:59:29 pm »

Not sure why you'd have to redact a bunch of posts?

Anyways, Bolsonaro AKA El Tropico Trump won the first round with almost all votes counted at 46% with Haddad at 29%.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 07, 2018, 08:47:25 pm »

Anyways, Bolsonaro AKA El Tropico Trump won the first round with almost all votes counted at 46% with Haddad at 29%.
Because if he wins there's a good chance people who don't support him won't have a good time, because he supported and still does the old military dictatorship- sorry, intervention of '64. Because he outright said any result that is not his victory (though that seems unlikely at this point) will be a fraud. Because his running mate, who proudly says he was mentored by the head of the old secret police, speculated that maybe, just maybe, they'll have to do a "self-coup".
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 07, 2018, 09:01:36 pm »

Because if he wins there's a good chance people who don't support him won't have a good time, because he supported and still does the old military dictatorship- sorry, intervention of '64.

Oof, yet another thing we did in the Cold War that is now coming to bite us/the world in the ass

Because he outright said any result that is not his victory (though that seems unlikely at this point) will be a fraud. Because his running mate, who proudly says he was mentored by the head of the old secret police, speculated that maybe, just maybe, they'll have to do a "self-coup".

Not far off from where Trump threatened that he wouldn't concede (which is really a formality anyway) if Clinton won and claimed there were 3 million or somesuch fraudulent votes (ALL in California even :P ). He didn't threaten any kind of coup though, but I could see him riling his supporters up enough that some idiots might get the idea into their heads.

Does Bolsonaro even have the capability to do a self coup? I mean, not like he commands a regiment or anything, though I don't know how the Brazillian military would react to something like this.

edit: Lol this, apparently 29% of people voted with blank or spoiled ballots, which is more than Haddad. Maybe we should try allowing blank ballots in the Presidential election, just for fun, heh. Might have been funnier in 2016 though.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:18:32 pm by smjjames »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 08, 2018, 01:45:56 am »

I'm always saying. Vote waivers, or at the very least blank votes, should still have representation. It's the only way to have politicians be accountable to the whole of society. You can't disenfranchise people if their absence still matters.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 08, 2018, 04:05:31 am »

My dad postulated that a much superior voting system would be to have candidates input their opinions on a range of topics, and then have voters answer those same questions before the machine calculates the best match and casts your vote for the candidate you most agree with.

I pointed out that the major flaw of such a system, of course, would be that the winning candidate by a significant margin would be whoever answered "I don't know" on all the questions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 08, 2018, 05:26:43 am »

Lololololol I'd love that system
Love, scriver~

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 08, 2018, 08:53:27 am »

saw a BBC article on the election, apparently he claimed that the only reason he didnt completely rule the first round was because of tampering with the voting machines
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 08, 2018, 08:59:04 am »

saw a BBC article on the election, apparently he claimed that the only reason he didnt completely rule the first round was because of tampering with the voting machines
Which shows what we're dealing with. There was no tampering, but a whole lot of fake news plus the stupid biometric system not working right and causing huge delays (which were obviously held by fascists on site as proof of tampering).

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 08, 2018, 10:14:48 am »

I pointed out that the major flaw of such a system, of course, would be that the winning candidate by a significant margin would be whoever answered "I don't know" on all the questions.
Eh, if they were honest that they didn't know, and actually led with that approach, that would not be a flaw at all!  I'd much prefer leaders that admit when they don't know, rather than declaring that they do know and their way is The Answer(tm).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 08, 2018, 10:26:37 am »

Which shows what we're dealing with. There was no tampering, but a whole lot of fake news plus the stupid biometric system not working right and causing huge delays (which were obviously held by fascists on site as proof of tampering).

It also sounds like it's the first time (from either the BBC article or The Guardian liveblog) Brazil has used the electronic voting machines on such a wide scale and so, they're still working out the kinks.

Really though, it's just him using a trump-like excuse to explain away the votes not quite getting to 50%.

Anyways, does he REALLY have the capability to do a self-coup (in his running-mates words)? Putting aside the possibility of some idiots getting the idea into their head and attempting one on behalf of Bolsonaro, does the Brazilian military have the same kind of integrity as the US one does where I know with absolutely no doubt that they'll support whoever wins? I'm open to the possibility that they're just bullshitting, but given that coups have happened (fomented by the US, yes, yes, I KNOW) and given what I don't know and the fact that Bolsonaro has a sizeable following in the military...

You don't seem too worried about him actually trying as far as I can tell, but I don't know what you know that makes you not too worried about it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:32:12 am by smjjames »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 08, 2018, 11:03:07 am »

It also sounds like it's the first time (from either the BBC article or The Guardian liveblog) Brazil has used the electronic voting machines on such a wide scale and so, they're still working out the kinks.
Nah, it's been for years. It's the first year where everyone uses biometric verification though.

Anyways, does he REALLY have the capability to do a self-coup (in his running-mates words)? Putting aside the possibility of some idiots getting the idea into their head and attempting one on behalf of Bolsonaro, does the Brazilian military have the same kind of integrity as the US one does where I know with absolutely no doubt that they'll support whoever wins? I'm open to the possibility that they're just bullshitting, but given that coups have happened (fomented by the US, yes, yes, I KNOW) and given what I don't know and the fact that Bolsonaro has a sizeable following in the military...

You don't seem too worried about him actually trying as far as I can tell, but I don't know what you know that makes you not too worried about it.
I don't actually know. I just too tired to care for today. The army seems to be split, but I only really know what most rank-and-file are thinking, roughly. The generals? I got no fucking clue.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 11:04:53 am by Teneb »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 12, 2018, 11:13:11 pm »

You do realize how old that is, right? For a second I thought he got stabbed a second time.

edit: Teneb mentioned it way back here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157112.msg7848449#msg7848449
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:15:08 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 73