Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 135516 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)
« Reply #300 on: June 14, 2016, 02:17:29 pm »

I leave the thread for 2 weeks and we've already needed to reclaim the fort?  I can see that I've got a lot to catch up on.

No reclaim, but we were down to 2 people at one point.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 14, 2016, 03:09:19 pm »

I leave the thread for 2 weeks and we've already needed to reclaim the fort?  I can see that I've got a lot to catch up on.

No reclaim, but we were down to 2 people at one point.

Just finished reading. Man, the next few overseers have their work cut out for them.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 14, 2016, 04:01:37 pm »

WHAT THE SHIT HOW DID THAT GET THERE

Wait, it probably came in on a necromancer, did any die here?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 14, 2016, 04:24:44 pm »

Logen Abbeyrhymes, necromancer, is already feeling at home here in Bloodyhells; even felt safe to leave his book for the casual readers.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 14, 2016, 04:28:25 pm »

WHAT THE SHIT HOW DID THAT GET THERE

Wait, it probably came in on a necromancer, did any die here?

I don't even know there's like 1000 dead people on the list, I think there's definitely some from the necromancer siege.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 14, 2016, 05:30:44 pm »

As far as I know, letting friendly dwarves become necromancers can be pretty much a death sentence for anyone that isn't a necromancer in in the fort, so it might be best to leave that particular book outside the library. That said, once I actually get a dwarf they'd be duty bound as a scholar to find the thing, so we'll see how it all works out.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 14, 2016, 05:45:42 pm »

As far as I know, letting friendly dwarves become necromancers can be pretty much a death sentence for anyone that isn't a necromancer in in the fort, so it might be best to leave that particular book outside the library. That said, once I actually get a dwarf they'd be duty bound as a scholar to find the thing, so we'll see how it all works out.
Solution: Make EVERYONE a necromancer.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 14, 2016, 06:22:58 pm »

In the current version, friendly necromancers are honestly not that bad as far as team killing goes; militia-necromancers will attack their own raised undead, and necromancers in general don't reanimate stuff unless they're in combat.  Honestly the biggest danger of necrofortresses is the potential to trigger loyalty cascades, but that was more or less resolved over the course of the 0.40 bugfixing cycle:

Random thought: we should totally weaponize that Husked titan; lure it down to the depths and see whether it can beat the clown car on its own.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:34:18 pm by Archereon »
It was inevitable.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 14, 2016, 07:15:51 pm »

That was one of my propositions earlier, yes, but thanks to me we can do it in a contained manner! No need to let the demons out on the surface.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 14, 2016, 07:18:56 pm »

That's just phase 1, we should have our own necro to overlook the fighting area via bridge shutter+fortification+gem windows, and rez some demon minions, or even minion titan.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 14, 2016, 07:21:17 pm »

That's just phase 1, we should have our own necro to overlook the fighting area via bridge shutter+fortification+gem windows, and rez some demon minions, or even minion titan.

Demons have the "can't undead" tag, so that won't work.

On a tangent, I'm mildly disappointing nobody was thrown by the little "his brain is broken" bit. I saw that on a husk or zombie, and took a screenshot of it because I thought it was funny.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 10:48:37 pm by Archereon »
It was inevitable.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 15, 2016, 01:05:16 am »

Oh hey, that codex wasn't in stocks when I looked. Still, that's why it is important to not atomsmash the husks!
Now, making everyone a necromancer will probably go both horribly wrong and horribly right. No idea if it is good or bad, but note that it locks attributes.

Do you not have anybody in lever room to let migrants in, though?

For automated entry in the future, maybe non-citizen pressure plate + retracting bridge + citizen pressure plate + retracting plate with meeting area on top would work? With minecart jumping through a fortification to get to fortress beneath.

As for the broken brain, heh. No, maybe normally...but in the battlefailed series, that is rather minor thing, less important than talking about the weather.

As for Salo VS clown car: Salo would lose horribly.It's an organic dinosaur husk with no natural weapons and no fighting skills. I doubt husking increases attributes enough to match the advantages of web, fire, dust or most inorganics.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 15, 2016, 10:03:21 am »

Oh hey, that codex wasn't in stocks when I looked. Still, that's why it is important to not atomsmash the husks!
Now, making everyone a necromancer will probably go both horribly wrong and horribly right. No idea if it is good or bad, but note that it locks attributes.

Do you not have anybody in lever room to let migrants in, though?

For automated entry in the future, maybe non-citizen pressure plate + retracting bridge + citizen pressure plate + retracting plate with meeting area on top would work? With minecart jumping through a fortification to get to fortress beneath.

As for the broken brain, heh. No, maybe normally...but in the battlefailed series, that is rather minor thing, less important than talking about the weather.

As for Salo VS clown car: Salo would lose horribly.It's an organic dinosaur husk with no natural weapons and no fighting skills. I doubt husking increases attributes enough to match the advantages of web, fire, dust or most inorganics.

The locking attributes thing is bugged in the current version of DF AFAIK, so that's not an issue. We also can't make EVERYBODY a necromancer, since creatures with no max age (ie Archereon) cannot become necromancers, even though they can learn and write down the secrets of life and death, so my current plan is to restrict the non-necromancers to the lower areas of the fortress, and use necro-citizens to haul shit from the surface back into an airlock arrangement.
It was inevitable.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 15, 2016, 11:25:18 am »

Will be likely fair bit of micromanagement or clever mechanism to prevent the topside undead from smelling the non-necromancers and shambling like a zombie over there.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 15, 2016, 11:39:35 am »

Will be likely fair bit of micromanagement or clever mechanism to prevent the topside undead from smelling the non-necromancers and shambling like a zombie over there.

Not really, it's just basic burrow management plus locked door airlocks.
It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 52