Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Korgoth - Legendary in 37/128 skills [Now in fort. mode !]  (Read 10228 times)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Alright. You all know the story. What do I say... The Legend ! of Morul : The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World.
If you don't, just read it...

Well, with the last releases, many new skills are now available, such as musical and scholars skills; the glazer bug has been patched too; and with the new site management system, you can retire forts and such; you can play with your adventurers. Tons of new content ! And many more skills to master.

This is why I claim a 128 legendary skills challenge possible.
This thread is to cover my attempt on it.
Raws editing will remain at the lowest and I will play the most vanilla DF possible :
  • I modded dwarves to live a little longer. They can live up to 400yo. This is to avoid any premature death of my Legend.
  • Dwarves civs can wield and craft bows and blowguns.
  • Most importantly, I disabled skill rust.
  • Modded pikes minimum size so that dwarves can wield them.

I have decided to call my born-to-be-a-legend dwarf Korgoth. (The reason behind this name can be found here).

I will divide this attempt in two parts :

1/ At first, Korgoth will be an adventurer. Citizen of the fortress of LegendBirth, a dwarven paradise where you can find everything (sand, clay, fishes, vermins...).
So he will wander the world for one or two years and master all military skills and some random skills.
The pros of adventure mode is that it is a really quick way to train skills (both real time and in game time, macros will be used a lot there).
It is also the only way to easily train skills like thrower.

2/ After that, he will retire at LegendBirth. I will then train him in fortress mode in the remaining skills.

Schedule plan :

We have seen there are two parts to this run. Adventure mode first, fortress mode second.

Adventure part : 43 skills to master
We can divide adventurer skills in four categories :
Spoiler: Adventure skills (click to show/hide)

So really for this part, Korgoth is wandering the world, gathering armor, weapons, and farming skills until he reaches legendary.
While I'm on it, I make him raid librairies for books to bring to the future fortress. I also make him go on vaults to gather divine metal, because smelting divine metal is always cool !

I anticipate the bard skills to be boring to train, but I have to master them somehow.

Some skills (eg: wood-cutter) I will not bother mastering. Because I can master them in fortress mode more easily.

And crutch-walking skill. I don't really know where to put it... Maybe I will train it in adventure mode, maybe in fort mode. We'll see.
EDIT : That was done in adventurer mode after all. Turns out you can gain experience even with both your legs.

Fortress part : 85 skills to master
I will update this section as I go through it. I haven't analysed a good schedule yet.
I know I will not let the population go over 30. Mostly for FPS reasons. I don't want to have to deal with hundreds of dorfs. The fort is all about Korgoth's training.

When it comes to training the strand extractor skill, I will need more raw candy that 1 embark can grant.
So I will retire the first fort, use other fortresses to dig raw candy, and Korgoth will unretire to gather them. I need 600 raw adamantine total.

When it comes to scholar skills, I hope rumors about the slowness of training these skills were axagerated. I will probably do these skills at the very end. We have quite some time before that.

Legendary skills so far :

Logs list :
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:12:11 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Korgoth - Legendary in 128 skills [in progress]
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 06:53:24 am »

Holy shite, man. Keep it up.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:04:04 am »

It depends on how you gen, but 600 raw adamantine is not a lot in worlds with at least some thickness to them.

*checks*

Every one of my relatively native setting forts has at least that much by prospect, and when I messed with thick layers 12k of it wasn't something surprising.

I believe harder skills to train might be purely scholary ones, such as astronomer - years to novice in fort mode, with skills above 2 unreported iirc?

It might take century+ of discussing to reach legendary in one, though I'd wager getting a highly skilled teacher as master would help.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 07:09:13 am »

It might take century+ of discussing to reach legendary in one, though I'd wager getting a highly skilled teacher as master would help.

Yes. We'll get there eventually, if I don't get bored before. At worst, a non-dying vampire trapped in a library and discussing could be considered ok. No need to really reach legendary... We'll see !

For now, I have to get all 43 adventurer skills done ;)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 07:40:30 am »

Log 1 - The birth of a Legend.

The year is 250. I started the fortress of LegendBirth.
The embark spot is nice, we have many neighbours for trading purposes :

Once the fortress was founded. It was immediatly retired.

Then, from the mists of the sky, a Legend was given birth !

Korgoth is a demi-god adventurer.
There are his starting skills :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I made sure when creating him that he would be able to lie (Truth personnal trait set to low), because I want to train the Liar skill.
As a member of LegendBirth, Korgoth will be able, whenever that happens, to retire there and be controlled.

-----

The first thing he did was grabbing some rocks, dropping them, and knapping them. The sharp stones were then thrown before his feet.
After some time (3 mins IRL) Korgoth was already legendary Knapper, Archer and Thrower ! Hoo the glorious feeling ! It was the first skills of many to master.

From this point, he would wield the spear. Every killed animal would get butchered, and its bones turned to rings. Korgoth would also sneak a lot. That way, training would happen.

There is a librairy nearby. Korgoth went there and stole all the books. He read them all afterwards (too many books to count, but I believe there was roughly a thousand).
So, he is now legendary Reader.
Korgoth kept on going with the boring skills and went to the warm ocean south of there, and he swam and swam and swam for days.
He mastered Swimmer eventually.

After this point, Korgoth needed armor. Being a dwarf, the only armors come from goblins, there was a goblin site not far, so he went there. But on the way, he found a tomb.
Inside the tomb, there were many weapons and bolts/arrows. Korgoth took them all, and trained crossbowdwarf and bowdwarf up to legendary.

After the tomb raiding, at the goblin dark fortress, Korgoth killed goblins by the hundreds. Found an iron whip and armor. Mastered Fighter.

But the training of speardwarf was just too slow...
At this point, he had killed ~500 ennemies, he was only like Professional by then (which is only 45% of legendary...).
You see, the problem is that adventurers don't gain xp when they attack a prone creature. So dismembering goblins in the name of experience doesn't work...
I had to find a better way to train the military skills.

My eyes were attracted to a shrine on the west, where it is said a creature of legends lives.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:52:37 am by Spriggans »

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 01:20:56 pm »

Has the Shaft of Enlightenment been patched, yet? If not, then that's always a viable way to train weapon skills.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 01:27:23 pm »

When he is done, you must make him a scholar, that he might write of his works.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 02:41:12 pm »

Stab people in the spine, tearing the nervous tissue. They won't pass out from pain and you can auto-attack them until they bleed out. Also, limbless bronze colossi make great punching bags as long as you're careful not to get tired.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 05:09:17 pm »

Has the Shaft of Enlightenment been patched, yet? If not, then that's always a viable way to train weapon skills.
It's been patched.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 08:44:28 pm »

I seem to recall that you can gain weapon skill experience by Parrying attacks, which generally requires that you not hold a shield. In older versions, you could fill your hands with dozens of weapons in order to do this more quickly (and the same with shields to better train Shield User), though I'm not sure if it's still possible today.

Also, I don't think bow/blowgun/pike modding is necessary if you're going to train them in Adventurer mode, unless Toady fixed it within the past several years, adventurers can wield any weapon regardless of their size.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:46:05 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 03:58:43 am »

I seem to recall that you can gain weapon skill experience by Parrying attacks, which generally requires that you not hold a shield. In older versions, you could fill your hands with dozens of weapons in order to do this more quickly (and the same with shields to better train Shield User), though I'm not sure if it's still possible today.

Also, I don't think bow/blowgun/pike modding is necessary if you're going to train them in Adventurer mode, unless Toady fixed it within the past several years, adventurers can wield any weapon regardless of their size.
Incorrect. You can parry regardless of having a shield. If you have a weapon, you can parry. You can have both a shield and a weapon and parry or block, can't recall if you can only do one at a time though.

Correct, but good luck finding them! (specifically blowgunning)
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 04:06:45 am »

Log 2 - Do you like Bronze ?

So when we last left off, Korgoth was struggling to master the spear.

I found out the best solution would be to farm a bronze dummy colossus ! They do not die of bloodloss, don't pass out. And are quite durable.
After a quick Legend check, it turned out the closest colossus was on the other side of the world... It tooks days to walk there. But I eventually found him.

I started farming the spear, by stabbing the big guy, repeatedly pressing "A a a a". But it was risky : the bronze colossus charged a lot, leaving the adventurer on the ground. Korgoth died a couple times, it was not a great way to train :(
So, the legendary warrior took the iron whip a goblin previously dropped, and slashed his feet and arms off. It took some hits (like 20 to chop off one limb), but the colossus was quickly limbless !
Safe farming could begin !

I quickly "A a a a" again. The colossus would no longer charge, and never kill Korgoth (unless he was over-exerted, so I safety-saved once in a while).
But it was OOC painful for my hands. Try pressing the same button 3.000 times, you'll know my pain :-[  And it was not very fast either, I had to press 5 keys for one action, and I couldn't macro it because the colossus or Korgoth could dodge sometimes...
Korgoth reached legendary Speardwarf after twenty minutes of "a" key mashing, and I stopped playing at that point to massage my fingers.

It was time for the other military skills. I count 13 farmable skills :
   Pikedwarf
   Misc. object user
   Wrestler
   Striker
   Kicker
   Biter
   Swordsdwarf
   Hammerdwarf
   Axedwarf
   Knife user
   Miner
   Macedwarf
   Lasher

The wiki says that any attack not described as "glancing away" will eventually kill something via cumulative damage (and I can confirm it).
It is then important to only use weak or stabbing attacks. I don't want to kill my training bag ! Any "denting", "fracturing" or "chipping" is bad.

After some testing, I found out that only 9 skills could be done without killing the colossus.
It's obviously possible to get "glancing attacks" for stricker, biter, kicker, misc. and pike.
You can also achieve glancing attacks with a sword/axe by choosing to attack fast ("A a a u a").
For Hammerdwarf, using a crossbow allows you to safely train without killing.
For the last 4 skills (Knife, Miner, Mace and Lash, colored in the list) I couldn't find a way to do "glancing away" attacks. At best I got denting attacks, but they eventually brought the foe down.

At this point, I know Korgoth can master 9 new skills, I just have to farm them.

I came up with a great software called "Autohotkey". I creates macros for you in a very convinient way ! And it is insanely useful.
After some coding, I created a script that makes "A a b u a" everytime a key I choose is pressed !
Then, I stand near the colossus, hold the key down, and Korgoth gains one level of skill every 10 seconds, assuming he doesn't pass out and die... So I usually walk away from the colossus if Korgoth is "Tired" until he catches his breath.
If the colossus dodges, I can just walk to him and hold down the key again.
Reaching legendary from dabbling takes 5-10 minutes that way (including the many safety saves I make in the process).

This is how Korgoth cheesily mastered Pikedwarf, Misc. object user, Wrestler, Striker, Kicker, Biter, Swordsdwarf, Hammerdwarf and Axedwarf.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:54:01 am by Spriggans »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 08:30:48 am »

You can parry regardless of having a shield. If you have a weapon, you can parry. You can have both a shield and a weapon and parry or block, can't recall if you can only do one at a time though.
Oh, right - forgot, the combat/movement update changed it so you can specify exactly what you want to do. Back before that, parrying and blocking was fully automatic, and blocking always took priority. Clearly, it's been too long since I've actually played this game.

Correct, but good luck finding them! (specifically blowgunning)
Good point.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 09:33:09 am »

Log 3 - Keeping a good pace.

!!Warning!! : This section contains some spoilers related to adv. mode.

After crippling the bronze colossus, Korgoth still needed to master 4 more military skills.
The bronze colossus was too weak to sustain 2400 fracturing hits, so Korgoth had to find other targets.

He scouted the world looking for Vaults where, it is said, guardians attack anyone brave enough to wander inside.
These guardians call themselves the Angels, and they protect an ancient demonic slab in the vault.
They are equipped with blistered metal weapons, a metal many times heavier and stronger than even steel itself.
They are said to be very hard to kill.

Korgoth managed to find two vaults, he raided both of them, killing 152 Angels in the process.
The Angels inside were very resistant indeed, they took many hits to die, so Korgoth could prove his creativity.
Every angel he found was granted with the combo "from bottom to top", consisting of hitting, until it was ripped off the body : the feet, lower legs, upper legs, hands, lower arms, upper arms and head. All that in this precise order for a whooping ~300 exp !

Spoiler: Angel party (click to show/hide)

Thanks to the Angels' help, Korgoth mastered Knife User, Macedwarf, Lasher, Miner !
Also, on the way, he finally mastered Ambusher ! No more sneaking ! Ever ! Yay !!!

Ho, and he snaged the demonic slabs and kept them in his backpack ! They will be put in the future LegendBirth fortress to taunt demons : "We know your real name !"

---------

So, as we are standing now :
  • Military skills are done (expect miner, it's at GrandMaster, 14/15 @ 75%, but it will get done eventually).
  • Carpenter and Climber are still undone. I will do them next !
  • Butcher, BoneCarver and Shield User remain.
  • I will move on to bard skills next week.

Stats :
  • 27 legendary skills.
    There are 43 adventurer skills needed before moving on to fortress mode (16 to go, 11 of which are bard skills).
  • 585 kills. 232 of these are notable kills.

Spoiler: Dwarf Therapist view (click to show/hide)

Your help is needed :
1/ Do you guys know a quick way to farm climber ?
You can farm climber in human strongPlaces; but it's not consistent. Sometimes, you just fall from the wall after one step. Sometimes after ten... Any ideas ?
I could always take it slow, and analyse each step, but you know... If there is a way to train by mashing button, it's better !

2/ Korgoth has some infections ! These fucking bogeymen...
Do you know if it's going to be a problem when moving on to fort mode ? I would like to avoid turning him were beast if possible.
Spoiler: Health (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:46:49 am by Spriggans »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 09:41:18 am »

Have had a dwarf die from what appeared to be total cranial necrosis after he got a facial wound and it turned all sorts of nasty things. This was from a monkey attack. But I'm not sure how deadly the infection might be, or if there's any way to cure it.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5