Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 69

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED  (Read 99120 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
« Reply #810 on: March 25, 2017, 07:20:14 pm »

his nickname is linkle ahaha

And nah, last I recall immortality is specifically a triforce of power thing, or was at some point earlier in the franchise's existence. Lifespans are pretty inconsistent in hyrule, though, and we've seen even just in this incarnation both age regression (purah) and prevention (link himself) -- and zelda herself was apparently both rather interested in and rather skilled with the techbase that had both happen. Buncha' other stuff sprinkled through the games that could explain it. All sorts of reasons zelda could still be loitering around. Maybe the whale just has a bad case of gas this time around :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 25, 2017, 08:24:08 pm »

Me and my friends have just been calling him Link Grylls, since he can and will eat anything. Honestly I'm surprised you can't bit and eat bits of enemies mid-battle for buffs.

Also does any one else get creeped out at the shear number of burnt down farmstead and villages the just litter the place? I've found six decent sized ones so far and it's creepy.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 25, 2017, 08:31:48 pm »

It's almost like a bad thing happened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 25, 2017, 08:57:30 pm »

Hey, if you're going to blame anyone for not being able to construct buildings that can stand up against genocide, a small scale apocalyptic precursor to a slow boiling full scale one, and a century of occupation by regularly resurrecting incessantly murderous xenocidal beasts and autonomous mobile artillery, it might as well be hylian civilians. What those scum did to the dignity of impossibly durable architecture is an atrocity on par with everything but anything ganon ever did.
Ask not!
Ask!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 25, 2017, 09:13:31 pm »

That has been the raging question in the back of my mind actually.

Why did the 10,000 year ago high tech society fall?  It DEFEATED gannon successfully! So, what caused its decline!?

There are survivors-- the sheikah in karariko village are descendents of the technomages that created all that crazy shit. For some reason, they are living like it is Edo Period japan-- WHY!?  What happened?  Did blue flame have unintended side effects? Maybe the society became socially decadent, and suffered a severe economic collapse, making the society economically unsustainable?  WHAT HAPPENED!?

They clearly developed digital storage, and device hardware that can survive 10,000 years of neglect-- (Sheikah slate, guardians, et al)- so there MUST be huge caches of digital data, assuming site robbers did not scavenge the raw materials (BAD scientists, Purah and Robbie!!) so there is likely to be SOME record of WHY the civ fell--- But nopey Nope. Nintendo did not want to tell us.  The world will never know.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 25, 2017, 09:14:44 pm »

IIRC, most of the fandom refers to each Link as the main aspect of the fame (generally a word from the subtitle), like Wind, Time, Sky, etc. This one is Wild.
Black lives matter.

zirconst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 25, 2017, 09:50:45 pm »

Maybe the civilization forgot how to use their tech beyond a certain point? That was a plot point in the Foundation novels. Super advanced technology but over time people get so comfortable and complacent, nobody really knows how it works anymore, and eventually everything falls apart. Seems believable enough...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 25, 2017, 09:55:58 pm »

Why did the 10,000 year ago high tech society fall?  It DEFEATED gannon successfully! So, what caused its decline!?

There are survivors-- the sheikah in karariko village are descendents of the technomages that created all that crazy shit. For some reason, they are living like it is Edo Period japan-- WHY!?  What happened?  Did blue flame have unintended side effects? Maybe the society became socially decadent, and suffered a severe economic collapse, making the society economically unsustainable?  WHAT HAPPENED!?

They clearly developed digital storage, and device hardware that can survive 10,000 years of neglect-- (Sheikah slate, guardians, et al)- so there MUST be huge caches of digital data, assuming site robbers did not scavenge the raw materials (BAD scientists, Purah and Robbie!!) so there is likely to be SOME record of WHY the civ fell--- But nopey Nope. Nintendo did not want to tell us.  The world will never know.

I mean, it's sort of an obvious prequel hook, isn't it? Much like Link to the Past's entire backstory given to you over the course of the dungeons is a bunch of prequel hooks to Ocarina of Time (story is told of how Ganondorf, King of Thieves, stole the Triforce of Power and became Ganon, then was sealed away by the seven sages).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 25, 2017, 09:57:14 pm »

There's no history of their fall. This is understandable considering that, like most of the original sheikah, the dream whales ate it.

Incidentally, dream whales are my default explanation for any holes in zelda continuity. I find it's astoundingly hard to argue with a blubbery flying blob of infectious solipsism.
Ask not!
Ask!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 25, 2017, 10:59:57 pm »

I can see why "not knowing how it fell" can be a story point. (10,000 years is a LOOOOONG time)
I can see why "It had to fall for this story to happen" is a plot necessity, and can totally dig that.

However, things always happen for a reason. A society with advanced manufacturing, processing, and science-- does not just abandon those things.  There HAS to be a reason.  For the ancient puebloans, they ran out of water. Had to abandon their advanced civ. (well, advanced in a relative sense) For the Sheikah technomagical society?  Maybe there was an internal conflict? Perhaps, after defeating Gannon, there was now a huge arsenal just sitting there, and then political inquiry on what to do with it, how to sequester it for later generations, and what to do with the people who have knowledge on how to construct such clearly dangerous instruments. Perhaps there was yet another falling out with the political establishment, which gave rise to the Yiga rebel group, which ultimately destroyed the civ through internal civil strife?

There are a number of plausible explanations, but no real cannon info to give a direction there. 

As for windfish dream whales-- It lives on Koholint island, which you can find on the map in the far southeast of the map. Kakariko is much more inland, and high sheika society was evident all over hyrule, including up in the guerudo plateau. Rather far for a dream whale to be roaming free, unless there was a massive infestation.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 11:01:47 pm by wierd »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 25, 2017, 11:00:22 pm »

These majestic creatures subsist entirely off of plot holes.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 25, 2017, 11:05:57 pm »

No, they are the embodiment of dangerous, world-altering mass hallucinations.

Dangerous in exactly the same way that the Demiurge from Gnosticism is dangerous. It basically is the zelda universe version of a demiurge.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 28, 2017, 09:26:36 am »

10,000? Why 10,000? The calamity happened only 100 years ago, so what are you talking about?

So, how do I shield-surf? And isn't there a way to use the Sheikah slate to see enemy HP? Or was that removed since E3?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:48:48 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 28, 2017, 11:52:56 am »

So, how do I shield-surf? And isn't there a way to use the Sheikah slate to see enemy HP? Or was that removed since E3?
Hold L2 and push A while you're in the air.

You need a piece of equipment to see enemy health.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 28, 2017, 11:54:59 am »

... wait, what? The calamity was a century ago. The ancient civilization stuff 10k.

Shield surf, I... don't quite remember. Something about having your shield out then jumping? Seeing specific HP number is the effect of a specific piece of armor. Not terribly hard to get, just follow the main quest line for a bit. And ninja'd, but eh.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 69