Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The most complex games  (Read 20502 times)

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
Re: The most complex games
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2016, 11:47:20 am »

There was a game in production that was being talked about on these boards about a year ago, which was going to be like a cross between a single player SS13 and System Shock, but you played as the AI of the space station. The Dev was active in the thread.

I would love to know what happened to this.
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2016, 12:15:45 pm »

http://thespatials.com/ maybe not extra complex but there's plenty stuff to do, from room hosting your station tourist to send out away teams to unlock quadrants, to missions and quests, resource managements etc.
I really wanted to like that game but it.. it just wasn't good. I honestly think it would have been a better game if they'd cut out the 'away team' aspect entirely. It ended up being a ridiculous clickfest.

true, so true. they fixed a little by having people autoshoot or something, but all the special abilities were extra annoying. but I put it on hold for different reasons: people gained too much experience serving food at a cafeteria and their payscale was tied to their level. so it became annoying to keep rotating them.
The away game portion is the worst, wish that was skippable.  Plus I think you could just hold down your clicker rather then clickfesting it.  (I wouldn't really call this game complex, but it is similar to the Caesar/Pharaoh/Impression City Builder games already mentioned.)

It is getting a big overhaul soon(also a new steam listing).  People who bought this game already will get a free copy of that if I remember correctly.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2016, 12:57:47 pm »

Are there any complex space base simulators?

They're all Early Access failures.

The two I'm aware of - Spacebase DF9 (I don't want to work on this anymore so I'll just label the current version 1.0 and no one can complain anymore), Space Station Alpha (I wish I was Spacebase DF9).

There's another one that appeared more successful but I don't recall the name of it. I remember the player leading away missions to gather resources.

Spacebase DF9's failure was a disappointment to me. I hope this doesn't stop other developers from trying out the concept, as it does seem like something that could be really fun, even if it was simple 2D graphics. Like Prison Architect in space or something.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2016, 01:45:25 pm »

There was a game in production that was being talked about on these boards about a year ago, which was going to be like a cross between a single player SS13 and System Shock, but you played as the AI of the space station. The Dev was active in the thread.

I would love to know what happened to this.

Human Orbit: thread, site. Didn't realize so much time passed, I'm curious as well.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2016, 01:46:56 pm »

Are there any complex space base simulators?

They're all Early Access failures.

The two I'm aware of - Spacebase DF9 (I don't want to work on this anymore so I'll just label the current version 1.0 and no one can complain anymore), Space Station Alpha (I wish I was Spacebase DF9).

There's another one that appeared more successful but I don't recall the name of it. I remember the player leading away missions to gather resources.

Spacebase DF9's failure was a disappointment to me. I hope this doesn't stop other developers from trying out the concept, as it does seem like something that could be really fun, even if it was simple 2D graphics. Like Prison Architect in space or something.
Im actually tinkering with this idea, but if i do make something, its gonna be free and opensource.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2016, 05:49:36 pm »

Human Orbit: thread, site. Didn't realize so much time passed, I'm curious as well.

Looks dead unfortunately - no posts on the blog for over a year (april '15) and nothing else out about it. It sounded great at the time, but a wildly ambitious project.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2016, 06:49:02 pm »

Looks dead unfortunately - no posts on the blog for over a year (april '15) and nothing else out about it. It sounded great at the time, but a wildly ambitious project.

The environments do look nice but I wonder if there was any progress made towards having actual gameplay implemented. From reading that thread it looks like there were some ideas on mechanics but nothing solid to demonstrate

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2016, 07:20:02 pm »

Just because I'm playing it right now, I feel the need to mention the Atelier series of RPG's. These games have some crafting systems that can get very complex, with dozens of subcombines involved in building weapons, armor, and consumables with super powerful traits and effects.
I'm playing Atelier Sophie right now, which got it's English release earlier this month, and I'm loving it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2016, 07:25:21 pm »

Just because I'm playing it right now, I feel the need to mention the Atelier series of RPG's. These games have some crafting systems that can get very complex, with dozens of subcombines involved in building weapons, armor, and consumables with super powerful traits and effects.
I'm playing Atelier Sophie right now, which got it's English release earlier this month, and I'm loving it.
Googled it, first picture is a 12 year old looking girl with massive boobs. I think I'll pass.

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2016, 07:33:12 pm »

Googled it, first picture is a 12 year old looking girl with massive boobs. I think I'll pass.

Yeah, I think I'll pass too. What's wrong with people?
Yes, I'm gay.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2016, 07:44:13 pm »

I wouldn't judge that book by it's cover. The Atelier series does pretty well for itself judging from the LPs that I have seen of it. I would recommend reading the first part of one of those if you want a real picture of what the game is.

Especially since this more about an admittedly weird Japanese cultural thing than anything.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2016, 07:48:06 am »

im surprised noone mentioned eve so far.
very old school. not very difficult, but incredible complex. one just needs to know how stuff works to make things work.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2016, 05:04:11 pm »

I wouldn't judge that book by it's cover. The Atelier series does pretty well for itself judging from the LPs that I have seen of it. I would recommend reading the first part of one of those if you want a real picture of what the game is.

Especially since this more about an admittedly weird Japanese cultural thing than anything.

People always seem weirdly eager to defend the sexualization of children and childlike figures when it's anime.
Shoes...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2016, 05:07:51 pm »

Yeah, I'm sure the game is fine but the lolicon style makes me uncomfortable so I'm giving it a pass. I don't really mind or judge others for playing it though.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2016, 05:48:00 pm »

I don't know what level of complex we're talking, but the Paradox grand strategy games might fit.  They have some gamey elements (more or less depending on which game) but given that the goal of each game is nothing short of simulating an entire era of (alternate) history, I think that could be forgiven.  They're each centered around capturing the spirit of a time period; if you have no preferences I would start with Crusader Kings 2 because its pretty generally agreed to be a hit even with their picky fanbase.

Spoiler: anime derail (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7