Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: The most complex games  (Read 20501 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: The most complex games
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2016, 11:54:43 pm »

im surprised noone mentioned eve so far.
very old school. not very difficult, but incredible complex. one just needs to know how stuff works to make things work.

I've only heard complicated things about EVE involving spreadsheets, so I am certain that this would likely fit the bill in some way shape or form.

Spoiler: Further Derailments (click to show/hide)
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2016, 12:26:16 am »

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:31:01 am by Culise »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2016, 12:31:54 am »

The Paradox method tends to be... Disguise simplicity AS complexity without really having the interlocking requirements to go all the way.

Hence Crusader Kings 2... and why no matter what relationship statuses are... People will still want eachother's deaths. To name one.

Yes I am still bitter about that. Destroyed the entire game for me that nothing mattered.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:36:06 am by Neonivek »

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2016, 09:55:19 am »

No one's mentioned Dominions yet? It's really complex in terms of tiny details that maybe once become critical.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2016, 07:16:34 am »

Especially with certain mods - such as HIP for CKII, MEIOU & Taxes for EUIV, and BlackICE for HoI 3 they can get pretty complex. Vanilla games are not that complex in my opinion.

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2016, 07:29:17 pm »

Any games that are like DF but in real world?
Yes, I'm gay.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2016, 09:37:07 pm »

Unreal World loosely fits the bill.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2016, 02:19:23 am »

Prison Architect provides something surprisingly to DF's game flow without the massive slowdown and blatant balance issues.  Although it is *not* complex.  I mean its complex by normal standards but I'm not going to call it complex on the DF forums.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2016, 03:20:34 am »

Prison Architect provides something surprisingly to DF's game flow without the massive slowdown and blatant balance issues.  Although it is *not* complex.  I mean its complex by normal standards but I'm not going to call it complex on the DF forums.

rimworld as well, and I enjoy the settings much much more (crash landed colony instead of gloomy prison)

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2016, 07:42:40 am »

I second Cormack's question - are there complex simulations comparable to DF set in the pre-historical times, or ancient times, or perhaps in the future?

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2019, 02:28:42 am »

Okay, okay. Yeah I know this is from 2016...

But the topic was mentioned on Rule the Waves 2 thread. And I was looking for complex games...and then I discovered Mars Simulation Project + war in the pacific, which I never heard about either.

I bought war in the pacific (wow is that expensive), but haven't started yet. I guess its a niche game so niche price, but I did see a video of it and it looks pretty intense. Like...someone said its almost not a game, and its pretty accurate.

Mars Simulation Project is still getting updates apparently? Their facebook is active, so I assume its still a thing. Can't find any videos on it though, get a bunch of stuff about surviving mars instead. But it sounds like a game I was wanting out of surviving mars, but super niche and complex I guess. We'll see when I get started.

So I haven't played both yet, and yeah this is from 2016...this is probably the biggest necro thread the forum has ever seen that wasn't from a bot or spammer lol. But both games look so amazing that I had to comment on it.

And hey maybe there'll be games since 2016 that are just as good and complex (besides rule the waves 2)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2019, 04:53:37 am »

CataclysmDDA is kind of getting up there.   Rimworld too, especially if you add in a bunch of mods.

https://www.wallstreetraider.com/

Capitalism/Capitalism Lab.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2019, 06:57:41 am »

catalysm DDA, pioneer space sim, aurora 4x is another complex beast, dwarf fortress naturally, distant worlds space sim is another complex 4x.

OpenTTD is getting there in the transport sim department with the rail and network setup.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2019, 08:02:32 am »

Caves of Qud has a lot going on under the hood for a fairly standard roguelike. Like randomly generated historical figures to learn about and find the burial places of, randomly generated books that are semi-readable, randomly generated villages, and occasional randomly generated hostile NPCs (like in TOME 4, sometimes OP, sometimes weak).

The Paradox method tends to be... Disguise simplicity AS complexity without really having the interlocking requirements to go all the way.

Hence Crusader Kings 2... and why no matter what relationship statuses are... People will still want each other's deaths. To name one.

Yes I am still bitter about that. Destroyed the entire game for me that nothing mattered.

Super agreed.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2019, 09:06:12 am »

I bought war in the pacific (wow is that expensive), but haven't started yet. I guess its a niche game so niche price, but I did see a video of it and it looks pretty intense. Like...someone said its almost not a game, and its pretty accurate.
Hopefully the interface has aged gracefully - (I know that it's a bit different since we're talking about it in the Bay12 forums, where we are used to pain) - because as I remember when I played (many years ago, now) there was a lot of click-throughs required to really get into the meat of commanding your forces.

That said, it's an amazing game - best if you can find someone to play against, since the AI isn't terribly bright. I can still remember a squadron of WW1-era biplane torpedo bombers that I intentionally didn't upgrade, because their upgrade path turned them into some very, very poor fighter-bombers. I managed to launch a surprise attack with them against a taskforce that had little or no cap, and these flying relics actually managed to put a couple torpedoes into a battleship.

The pilots, naturally thrilled with this outcome, reported they'd managed to sink the ship; although when I was discussing it later with my opponent, learned that the ship had only been put into dry dock for ~6 months.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7