Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 182494 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2016, 07:33:25 am »

They got into this situation by blaming the EU and exaggerating what Britain is capable of.  I imagine they will stick with that strategy if it comes to hardball.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2016, 07:34:48 am »

They got into this situation by blaming the EU and exaggerating what Britain is capable of.  I imagine they will stick with that strategy if it comes to hardball.

Yes but the EU's proper response to this... Would be to go from "No, get yourself together then we will talk, you won't weasel past us" to "We will crush you so hard you will beg us to stop"

At least in my mind that is the case. Threatening to harass helpless citizens unless we bend over backwards for you? How about some trade embargos buddy! (ok that is a bit extreme)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:37:10 am by Neonivek »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2016, 07:42:12 am »

Scottish Parliament votes 92 to 0 to give Scot Govt a mandate to do all it can to keep Scotland in the EU.

wew m8

I believe the Tories abstained.

There's quite a hubbub at the moment about Mariano Rajoy's emphatic denouncement of the idea of Scotland negotiating with the EU - saying that we're a part of the UK and we should be treated as such. Francois Hollande is saying the same thing. Juncker on the other hand is saying "Scotland has won the right to be listened to" or something.

I am not surprised that the Usual Suspects are coming out in force to discourage treating Scotland like a country in any way, but I am not so sure Unionists should be celebrating these snubbings as they are. To be told "You can't get negotiate unless you're independent" kills their hopes of staying in the EU as a part of the UK, like a reverse-Denmark/Greenland scenario. I have also read that claims of a potential Spanish veto on Scottish EU membership would kill Spain's arguments against Catalan sovereignty; they argue the issue is purely constitutional, because under Spanish law a province can only become independent if all regions vote on it, hence their support of the Serbian position in Kosovo.

If however they attempted to block Scottish membership of the EU in a situation where we have constitutionally become independent i.e. through democratic referendum, they will show that they are actually not constitutionalists, rather they are opposed to national self determination and then the Catalans can take their challenge to an international court.
If an international court can solve these problems China and Russia would have disintegrated long ago.

The Spaniards wanted to make the worst example out of the Scots and Llanitos mainly to hound Catalans and Basques (and to a lesser extent Galicians and Valencians) back into their position.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2016, 07:53:25 am »

Oh no. I was really looking forward to the political cartoons of Boris VS Stalin Putin.

We should get some good ones out of Gove stabbing him in the back.

For those not following the minutiae of the Tory leadership kerfuffle, Gove originally backed Boris and there were rumours he would be his chancellor. Then Boris fucked up badly a couple of times. He first managed to publish his vision for exit that included retaining the freedom of movement and had to completely denounce his own article. He then was supposed to meet with Remain MPs and abandoned the meeting 15 minutes before it started. Somewhere along the line he is also rumoured to have refused to promise Gove a job.

Meanwhile Rupert Murdoch said he would quite like to see Gove as the leader, despite Gove having ruled himself out of the running. For his part Gove had remained mostly silent since the referendum.

So last night an email from Gove's wife was leaked warning that Boris would a terrible leader. Gove's wife, by the by, is Sarah Vine who writes for the Daily Mail. The email raised doubts about the support Boris would have and his capability as leader.

Meanwhile polls showed that May was trouncing Johnson among the Conservative membership, while having retained a rather strong position by staying mostly out of the debate. She is viewed as a natural Leaver who stayed loyal to the government by backing Remain, but quietly. She is also viewed as a potentially strong leadership figure, if not the second coming of the Iron Lady herself. She had started her campaign by ripping Boris to shards over his negotiating abilities and the time she overruled him over the use of water cannons in London.

Then today Gove announces only hours before the deadline and Boris ends up pulling out of the race only minutes before it begins. He was quickly backed by a number of senior figures, including Nicky Morgan. According to one leaked text message, Boris's camp think this was a planned coup from Gove's side from the very beginning, so it may be that Gove no longer gets the support of the united Leave campaign.

The stories that should come out of this are going to put most political farces to shame.

EDIT: And it gets better.
I'm told Boris' widely criticised @Telegraph column - was SUB EDITED by Michael Gove who suggested changes - and Boris put them in
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:07:38 am by palsch »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2016, 08:10:31 am »

I swear this whole thing is like the incarnation of a katamari clusterfuck. Everything just keeps rolling into a larger tangle of snafus.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2016, 08:20:48 am »

I swear this whole thing is like the incarnation of a katamari clusterfuck. Everything just keeps rolling into a larger tangle of snafus.

I think we are way past the point of satire being dead.

EDIT: Waaaaay past.
11.55 Jewish MP Ruth Smeeth has left the anti-Semitism event in tears after an audience member has accused of of “colluding” with The Daily Telegraph to undermine Corbyn.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:27:00 am by palsch »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2016, 08:29:05 am »

Man... I need popcorn for this Brexit crud!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2016, 08:52:00 am »

I know it is cruel but DANG is Brexit entertaining.

What next? A Sports Riot? A party meltdown? A bank bailout?

The Trump campaign was a car pileup that made me sad as I watched because of the implications.

Brexit on the other hand has full license to be hilarious.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:53:51 am by Neonivek »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2016, 08:58:52 am »

It isn't even just Brexit as far as Labour is concerned.

Today's anti-Semitism meeting was called weeks ago, after a number of statements eventually resulted in ex-London mayor Ken Livingstone being suspended for making stupid comparisons to Hitler. It just happened to fall on the worst possible day for Corbyn, whose hard-left group is commonly seen as susceptible to anti-Semitic conspiracies and views.

There is also the Chilcot Inquiry into the Iraq war due to be published next week, which is likely to further inflame tensions between the Blairites and the anti-war left. That was always going to be a shitshow. Now it is just going to be piling more on to the ongoing.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2016, 10:22:02 am »

Scottish Parliament votes 92 to 0 to give Scot Govt a mandate to do all it can to keep Scotland in the EU.

wew m8

I believe the Tories abstained.

There's quite a hubbub at the moment about Mariano Rajoy's emphatic denouncement of the idea of Scotland negotiating with the EU - saying that we're a part of the UK and we should be treated as such. Francois Hollande is saying the same thing. Juncker on the other hand is saying "Scotland has won the right to be listened to" or something.

I am not surprised that the Usual Suspects are coming out in force to discourage treating Scotland like a country in any way, but I am not so sure Unionists should be celebrating these snubbings as they are. To be told "You can't get negotiate unless you're independent" kills their hopes of staying in the EU as a part of the UK, like a reverse-Denmark/Greenland scenario. I have also read that claims of a potential Spanish veto on Scottish EU membership would kill Spain's arguments against Catalan sovereignty; they argue the issue is purely constitutional, because under Spanish law a province can only become independent if all regions vote on it, hence their support of the Serbian position in Kosovo.

If however they attempted to block Scottish membership of the EU in a situation where we have constitutionally become independent i.e. through democratic referendum, they will show that they are actually not constitutionalists, rather they are opposed to national self determination and then the Catalans can take their challenge to an international court.

No. Spanish law does not recognize any territorial independence whatsoever, and a surprisingly large chunk of the population subscribe to this philosophy. Stating that countries such as Canada or the UK have done binding independence referendums without breaking up, and, indeed, managing to let steam off social tensions in the process, will only get you scoffed at.

I used to think that most people werent like that, but then I was sorely disappointed in the last 15 years
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2016, 03:13:23 pm »

PTW.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2016, 04:20:31 pm »

Here's me thinking that Boris Johnson was a good head for the government... but that post a few hours ago totally turned my perspective.

I thought Gove had played the entire thing to his benefit.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2016, 04:30:25 pm »

Here's me thinking that Boris Johnson was a good head for the government...
There's not so many occupied spikes, these days, so at the very least there'd be room on one for his head, and probably also room on another for his johnson...

:P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2016, 04:33:43 pm »

If there's anything I've took away from watching this stuff, it's that the only good candidate for a head of government that the UK seems to have right now appears to be Sturgeon. And there's some obvious problems with that option :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 126