Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 181925 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1215 on: February 08, 2017, 10:49:41 am »

I watched Star Wars for the first time a week or so ago, and knew the moment I saw screen time being devoted to the maid cleaning R2D2 that she was the princess.
They both died last year...  Three of them, in fact, if you count Tony Dyson, who built the prop (himself predeceased by the designer and developer in previous years).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:51:32 am by Starver »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 08, 2017, 10:53:42 am »

I think he means The Phantom Menace
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 08, 2017, 11:02:33 am »

I think he means The Phantom Menace

Oh, right  Thought it was a reference to leaning down and doing something with R2's frontage piece.

But as it's the other one, the news about her is that she's having twins, IRL.  A boy and a girl, apparently....

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 08, 2017, 12:34:42 pm »

Who? Natalie Portman or Keira Knightley?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: February 08, 2017, 03:11:47 pm »

Who? Natalie Portman or Keira Knightley?
Portman, given that ?Sabae? (Knightley) was the decoy Queen1 when Portman the 'maid' was left to clean R2.

(Hearing about this on another forum, I went looking for verification. The source I'm most confident of, i.e. a news site that mentions it and that I'm can actually tell isn't a spoof-news site a la The Onion, is this article, under number 5 in the list.)

I'm sure all this is a great analogy for Brexit.  Otherwise I wouldn't be posting this stuff here, surely...

1 Another reason why I didn't think "Phantom Menace" when talking of Princesses.  But then it doesn't make much sense anyway...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 09, 2017, 12:39:57 pm »

Sorry for late response, things are moving fast these days (or maybe I'm getting too slow to keep up with the high-octane nature of politics these days. Or maybe I need to reserve more time for posting walls of text, dunno where you keep finding the time for that  :P).

I don't think anyone was referring to environmental policy, and I'm sure this is purely a hypothetical as given the choice between following the USA or Germany, we'd all much rather pick none and be the UK. Germany is no example to follow either, we would be replacing lazy Americanism with vapid Merkelism. Look at the example Germany sets; instead of humanitarian aid, take selfies with migrants - all to show the world how virtuous and wise you are, without needing to put any of the effort and sacrifice needed to be virtuous and wise. So when things inevitably get cocked up by your ineptitude, you just hide the wounds and allow Europe to bleed - shutting down all Germany's nuclear plants because hurr duur nuclear science scary is as much a detriment to basic common sense as Trump, Germany now has more coal plants operational that it has in two decades. It really is impressive when a green candidate turns out to be blackest coal, suckling on Putin's gas for support. Oh and she's stopped now because her policies put too much strain on Germany's energy grid and raised costs too high. What a great success for the world to emulate!

More seriously though the UK cannot follow the USA's steps when it comes to energy policy. We do not have a vast store of coal, gas or oil to exploit, as the Americans do with their Texan friends. We are running along similar tracks in regards to the nation-state versus the Sweden >yes party that has commanded Europe for a few years. Fortunately we're going big with nuclear and I hope succeeding parties in the UK continue this policy. One thing to learn from failed projects in the UK in developing renewable sources of energy is that our failures often go unnoticed because unlike Germany, we did not rush headlong whilst ignoring the simple realities of power generation. There's also something fortunate in our failures in that they show that with time, development of power-storage and rising costs of gas and oil, renewable energy sources can one day become economical, reliable and environmentally responsible.

A lot of this post seemed like a non-sequitur. The post I responded to specifically said:

I'd certainly rather follow America's lead than Germany's (or, kek, Sweden's), particularly now that Trump's gotten in and begun improving things.
Though I'd prefer if they kept their guns to themselves.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing what Friday's meeting between May and Trump brings.

Aka a rather blanket endorsement of Trump's America and his policies, except for the guns. It's to that where I pointed out that this seems like a disastrous idea: even though I can acknowledge other people placing different importance to certain values or proposing different solutions to issues, I have trouble taking serious people like Trump who literally denounce the entire climate change problem as 'a Chinese hoax' (though admittedly he has softened his stance a little recently. Not nearly enough given the urgency and scope of the problem, but it's -something-).

So, even if the UK right now was literally carbon neutral (it's not, but for the sake of argument), that still would mean following the US' example (what Covenant proposed) is a bad idea.

For the record, yes, it is sad how nuclear has been demonized as much as it has been, it can play an important role during the transition to a greener (energy) economy, but that does require government to at the very least acknowledge the problem.
Also, I kind of find you sometimes play fast and loose with some of those sources, for example, this: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/01/angela-merkel-signs-deal-with-german-states-to-regulate-green-energy-rollout
Gets solely reported by you as this:
Oh and she's stopped now because her policies put too much strain on Germany's energy grid and raised costs too high.
While the article also mentions things like:
"The latest reforms are aimed at slowing the growth in renewables, which accounted for around a third of Germany’s electricity last year, up from 28% in 2014. With the government sticking to its target for an increase in the share of renewable sources to 40-45% of total electricity production by 2025, it will have to put the brakes on growth to avoid overshooting."
aka the program, while certainly not perfect, is still is helping along its intended goal: promoting renewable energy. I'm sure this was not your intention, but to me it does come off as disingenuous.

Certain failures like biofuels showcase how green is not always green even when working as intended; you should not kowtow to concensus, it is rather dangerous to believe in whatever consensus is when all it takes is one correct person regardless of consensus to advance scientific research. Seems obvious but it is worth pointing out anyways that scientific breakthroughs often act in spite of scientific consensus, competely changing how we see everything ten times over :P

This as well seems to come out of left field. Are you trying to make an epistemological point here? Because at the end of the day, if an administration has to come up with policy, I'd rather they follow the current scientific consensus instead of just ignoring it or pining their hopes that one 'correct person' (correct by what metric?) will save them.

This is part of how science is supposed to go after all: if you can come up with a new hypothesis that better fits the available data, it'll get adopted. If there's a large body of evidence you'll have to come up with a very strong argument to overturn it. But until that happens, we go with the current explanation instead of just ignoring it because we don't like what it says.

On the topic of border walls, more BAOs and maritime patrols does the job better for immigration control. We only really have a need for walls in order to control flooding, erosion and land loss from rising sea levels. The French did build an immigration wall with England and they made the English pay for it which I'm sure the Americans would approve, and I think the UK would agree such funds spent helping the French is beneficial to both of our nations. That's nothing compared to the Japanese kaiju wall

Even if walls were completely useless, that is exactly what Trump is planning on building, and thus apparently the example to follow. Next to that, the border walls can also be taken in a more metaphorical sense, in that once climate refugees start coming we'll be forced between the options of either taking them in (with all the problems that entails) or refusing them and letting them suffer from a problem that we (the industrialized rich nations) carry the lions' share of the responsibility for.

So, if one is against taking in Middle Eastern immigrants and refugees (to whatever extend), he should endorse policies that prevent them from existing in the first place. That means drastic reduction in emissions and not, as Donald Trump's America is planning, propping up the coal industry (even though renewables are rapidly dropping in costs: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-06/wind-and-solar-are-crushing-fossil-fuels).

Welp, out of time for this. Would like to further go into some of the walls that have been posted since, but that'd take literal days. But to at least give another example of 'playing fast and loose with sources':

This is the source you gave: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/guy-verhofstadt-chief-brexit-theresa-may-eu-trade-deal-2019-impossible-a7550136.html

This is what you claimed:
Moreover, there is one additional thing. The EU placed Guy Verhofstadt on the EU-UK negotiating table. He has no respect for the UK and is determined to ensure we get the worse terms possible. Currently most national leaders of Europe are with us in that they want us to leave ASAP and leave amicably, the presence of hardliners like Guy force us to be cautious, and more importantly, remind people like Guy that we have MAD available - unleash the Trump.

This is what the source actually said:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess you could claim he sort of insulted the Brexit vote (note that he didn't even mention the Little Englander thing himself, it was already a loaded question), while of course keeping in mind that British politicians are on record of flinging way worse insults at EU politicians (eg. Farage, multiple times) but nowhere in the article does it say he "is determined to ensure we get the worse terms possible". He literally said "During the interview, Mr Verhofstadt also sought to emphasise that the rest of the EU would not be looking to punish the UK in the negotiations. However, “you can never have outside the European Union a better status than as member of the European Union”, he said." which at least to me sounds like the opposite.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 09, 2017, 02:06:36 pm »

I'd certainly rather follow America's lead than Germany's (or, kek, Sweden's), particularly now that Trump's gotten in and begun improving things.
Though I'd prefer if they kept their guns to themselves.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing what Friday's meeting between May and Trump brings.

I find myself nodding along to the seccessionists'*posts. It is disturbing.

*Yeah, I'll refer to Brexiteers like that from now on. Sue me.

Soooo... just curious Helgo. Does nodding mean that you approve of this stuff?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 09, 2017, 02:23:45 pm »

LW is an excellent read bevause I agree with you on so many things and disagree on so many other. I do think we've become too anti-traditionalist in the west, with the rebel culture of the mid-late 20th spilling over into the rest of society.
As an aside, I agree. I'd also say that neo-liberalism is to blame - a staling and turning rancid of the original concept.

Also, hardly a fair question, Chairman (Of the European Council?!??  >:(). Saying one can agree with general arguments by more than one person does not mean that one accepts every individual point presented.

That being said, it's hard to deny that Trump will be improving the American economy, or that he isn't already. That seems to be the key thing that Remainers have latched on to as important, anyway - money.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 09, 2017, 03:37:41 pm »

That being said, it's hard to deny that Trump will be improving the American economy, or that he isn't already.
...by slagging off businesses in such a crafty way that they get an anti-Trump rebound?  That's certainly a meta way of economy improvement. Isn't there any way he can do it for more than one company per tweet? 'cause Cos otherwise it seems like a lot of effort, at 3am...

(One cannot refute that Trump will improve the economy, but then its far too early to say either way, and there's not enough tenuous evidence for that happening/soon-to-happen to deny, yet.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 09, 2017, 07:18:41 pm »

I honestly think that I can say that Brexit was the better choice. Even from a more left-of-center perspective, with so many right-wing groups gaining power in Europe, would you want to be shackled to that? I wouldn't.
What? You do realize that a large part of the Brexit voters come from the same place as those right-wing groups in Europe. They might have economically unshackled themselves from the EU soon, but ideologically the Brexiteers have bonded firmly with Le Pen and Wilders.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 09, 2017, 10:20:31 pm »

Soooo... just curious Helgo. Does nodding mean that you approve of this stuff?

Better be careful Helgo, wrongthink is a serious charge these days.
If you guys want to talk shit about each other, feel free - keep me out of it though.

For the record: I'm proud of my country, I'm proud of what we're doing, and I believe that my country has a very positive influence on the world. It's not a shining city on the hill, sure, but a country of this size and importance could do a fair bit worse. And it's great in a way that all these regressive nationalists who doubt their culture's and their nation's strength and ability to cope with outside influences, to incorporate them into themselves, wouldn't even recognize.

That having been said, I do believe that tradition and ritual are undervalued in contemporary Western thought. Dialectically speaking one could say that the Alt-Right, the Front National, the AfD, etc etc are the antithesis arising from the tensions and contradictions inherent in our current mainstream ideology. The job at hand for any clear-thinking, honest intellectual citizen is to figure out what the synthesis could or should like. To do that we mustn't take our cues from the antithesis - that is something to be overcome, after all -, but educating ourselves on the worldviews of times past and of different cultures and socio-economic strata may enable us to look beyond our current horizons, to look at our ideology and our convictions from a less involved perspective, and so maybe find out in which direction we could encourage it to grow and develop.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 09, 2017, 10:34:09 pm »

your basically talking about the anthropological perspective. good on you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 09, 2017, 11:26:20 pm »

Do elaborate. I suspect what you mean is a much more detached mode of engaging one's history and culture* that what I'm suggesting.

*Maybe it would be a good idea to establish the word 'context' for this sort of thing.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 09, 2017, 11:59:47 pm »

Do elaborate. I suspect what you mean is a much more detached mode of engaging one's history and culture* that what I'm suggesting.

*Maybe it would be a good idea to establish the word 'context' for this sort of thing.
generally to do with cultural relativism and an understanding that no system is universal and shouldn't be applied to everyone because no system works for everyone. the west has a vary economically neo-liberal perspective that it tends to focus on it, but whens the last time you heard of a country espousing another economic ideology that wasn't another defunct universal economic doctrine like communism. a focus of imposing a system onto the world is doomed to fail because it ignores the fundamental differences across the globe with how people act and what they do and value. an anthropological perspective on the world is much more "holistic" in its interpretation as its put. I'm probably bad at explaining it but the gist is people need to stop universalizing economics and especially its relative importance to different peoples. this also of course requires understand diverse cultures from their point of view as well as their history's and how that has shaped them and working within their own value systems which may place entirely different emphasis on some things. unfortunately no doctrine like this has emerged or anything to challenge the modern economic imposition sense the fall of communism so were kind of stuck until something else gains ground. this tends to be the typical philosophy of modern anthropologists, me included as i am one or a student at least for now, we are forced to see the world in this way, from individual perspectives and with much complexity and interwoven systems of culture and society, in order to study it as no other way will work. just as the old universalizing theories of earlier anthropological theory were analyzed, found wanting and rejected as to simplified and ethnocentric so will all such fields that deal with human action.

that was likely a shit explanation but seriously it has taken a awhile for me to grasp the disciplines core tenets and why we operate this way and i still have a lot of studying to do in my chosen field. i probably have an as yet weak grasp on everything i need to change about my way of thinking and its difficult to thing in such a way when I'm all to aware of my own biases.

Edit: modern economics gives no shots about how important communal land ownership is to native Americans or the importance of the structure of a Chinese extended family or even the concepts of American democracy it just seems to render all to profits above all else and as such will never succeed and spread instability wherever it goes.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:14:10 am by redwallzyl »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 126