Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 181931 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1275 on: March 13, 2017, 10:50:10 am »

I'm all in favour of the EU continuing to rush headlong into its own destruction. On the off-chance that Scottish independence ever happened, it would presumably inspire the Catalonians and every other separatist movement to start (covertly, at the least) pushing for leaving the EU, after seeing Scotland's successful example. (Somewhat ninja'd by smjjames).

Whut? Those movements are pro-EU for the very good reasons that the EU let smooth the process of independence. If anything they'd be more pro-EU.

Not that I think it's at all likely. Anyone who still thinks Scotland can live off North Sea oil really hasn't been paying attention the last few years.

Well, it's not like Scotland is a petrostate as is.

And GrimPortent, speaking of their 'mandate' - the SNP don't have a majority anymore after the resurgence of the Tories. And every other party (bar the Greens, kek) opposes independence. So can they even claim a mandate at this point?

They won a landslide after the referendum. And their 47% is way ahead of the Conservative's UK-wide 40%. Given that the UK is currently ruled by a woman whose main qualification is that she is the only one that didn't drop off the leadership race and that she never faced a General Election (and spent significant energy trying to prevent Parliament to give input on Brexit, because "taking back control" means not listening to the people that are actually elected :p), I think it's clear where the legitimacy is.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 13, 2017, 10:54:38 am »

I'm all in favour of the EU continuing to rush headlong into its own destruction. On the off-chance that Scottish independence ever happened, it would presumably inspire the Catalonians and every other separatist movement to start (covertly, at the least) pushing for leaving the EU, after seeing Scotland's successful example. (Somewhat ninja'd by smjjames).

Whut? Those movements are pro-EU for the very good reasons that the EU let smooth the process of independence. If anything they'd be more pro-EU.

I suspect that he is confusing 'independence from the EU' with 'independence from the mother country', heh.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 13, 2017, 10:59:36 am »

I suspect that he is confusing 'independence from the EU' with 'independence from the mother country', heh.

No, cov was suggesting that Independence movements would push their parent country to be anti-EU because a EU-exit referendums would give them a good way to motivate support for national independence.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 13, 2017, 11:02:48 am »

Go Scotland! I hope that brings Owlbread back to us.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 13, 2017, 03:00:48 pm »

I've kind of put in the backburner any plans to work in the UK given the uncertainity of the fate of EU nationals (and potential future problems in the coming months and years).  :-\

... TBH the lack of support from my erstwhile boss was an important factor too. I'll probably reconsider things once the ongoing situation settles down a bit &  I finish my current adventure, depending on the status quo of the former and the outcome of the latter.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:03:06 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 13, 2017, 03:09:55 pm »

It's my belief that the ambivalence concerning foreign nationals is just being maintained to lend more negotiating weight to Britain at the real talks.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 13, 2017, 03:50:37 pm »

It's Ireland nowadays, as of december last year. It wasn't my original plan but I got a very interesting offer. Provided registry goes OK (and it should, and I should learn in 1-2 days) I begin in a couple of weeks. 

In late 2015 my original plan was UK. A series of events during my rotation made those plans go haywire, though (mostly my former boss' radio silence). Later on the referendum took place and made things even more uncertain. So I decided to forget about the matter for the time being. And later still, I got the Irish offer. Which, if it goes alright should keep me entertained for a year or two. Giving me plenty of time to test the waters in Ireland, UK, and back home, and plan my next moves accordingly.

*its not that I lacked work at home. Its that most offers nearby were either short or boring or both. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:54:36 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 13, 2017, 03:59:21 pm »

Surprisingly few people understand this, so I'll just make sure - it's not Northern Ireland, right? Because that is part of the UK.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 13, 2017, 04:02:28 pm »

No, it isn't.   I'm aware of that.  :P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: March 13, 2017, 04:07:07 pm »

Surprisingly few people understand this, so I'll just make sure - it's not Northern Ireland, right? Because that is part of the UK.
...for the time being, it is.   :D

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 13, 2017, 04:37:04 pm »

Hahaha, lol.

Yea, not gonna happen.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 13, 2017, 05:55:29 pm »

...for the time being, it is.   :D

Sinn Fein would need to become at least twice as popular as they are now for it to be feasible for N. Ireland to leave the UK. That's highly unlikely for as long as the religious divide in the Irish and the friction left over from the Troubles remain.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 13, 2017, 06:02:04 pm »

Actually, Sinn Fein saw a sizeable increase in the Northern Ireland Assembly Election. A huge turn out saw an increased Catholic vote compared to a normal Protestant one. I'd argue that in a referendum on leaving the union, unionists may just be more involved :P.

Also, saying it's a religious divide amongst the Irish is misleading in more than one way. It's a cultural divide reinforced by religion and politics, between those who are culturally British and those culturally Irish.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:04:03 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 13, 2017, 06:05:59 pm »

Sinn Fein are still only getting a quarter of the votes in NI though, which isn't bad by UK standards, but it's quite a ways shy of the support they'd need to make much headway in a referendum.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 13, 2017, 06:07:50 pm »

What would NI Protestants have to fear from reunification anyway? They'd be a textbook example of a minority, and the EU is pretty big on protecting those. And since the ROI still is part of Our Glorious Union and thus will, for example, keep abiding by the rulings of the ECHR, that's actually a long-term guarantee.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 126