Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 182471 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1455 on: April 18, 2017, 08:56:20 am »

inb4 the miraculous LibDem surge that happens in every alternate history ever written about the UK

inb4 LibDem-SinnFein-UKIP coalition from hell

inb4 hysteria over whoever's got the ex-BNP membership this time around

inb4 "why don't we just abolish the monarchy and be done with it"
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: April 18, 2017, 09:06:17 am »

Well then.

Mrs. May calling for snap elections. Let's see if Bregret is an actual thing.

Only ~6 weeks for campaigning though. Hopefully opposition parties have been on the ball with their plans for Brexit.

So, she's trying to get a two thirds majority for her party before the actual vote? I think that's the gist of it? Could backfire on her since she has no control over how things actually go.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1457 on: April 18, 2017, 10:08:59 am »

Spoiler: Random musings (click to show/hide)

Whatever the fate of the European Union, I am still of the opinion that we must ensure the European States remain strong, whatever fate befalls them usually befalls us after long. It's amusing that Merkel trusts our security services more than her own, it's trust we should maintain, if the EU threatens us we must in turn not make the mistake of allowing European Leaders to be left alone when they most need us. The EU may be no friend of ours, but Europeans certainly are.

My guess is that while no party (apart from the Lib Dem/Green) will back Bremain, the contest will eventually end up with the Tories backign Hard Brexit and Labour back Soft Brexit and staying in the Common market. Since for a bunch of reason the Tories are probably going to win anyway, the vote should overall be good news for Brexiters since it'd give the hard brexit more legitimacy.
There is no such thing as a hard Brexit or a soft Brexit. There is leaving the European Union, and there is staying in the European Union. Staying in the economic union with the EU wherein it would decide our trade terms with the entire world, with our trade partners, wherein it would lock us into the continent's protectionism against our will, is rather odd - we would under such a proposal mislabeled the soft brexit, be ostensibly leaving the European Union, whilst remaining shackled to the economic mechanisms which ensure the real control of the European Union. For the sake of what? Bankers having easy credit access to Europe? Hahahaha, no, that simply wouldn't do. It would be foolish to lower the EU flag only to remain within EU institutions. The libdems are having a right giggle if they genuinely thought we voted "Leave the European Union" in order to have the European Union negotiate our trade deals with the Commonwealth and the World. Gods forbid, having our trade deals negotiated by a Union determined to make the United Kingdom's economy fail as an example to other nations. Can't think of a quicker route to suicide tbh

It'd be political suicide at a national scale.
What about the LibDems?
Libdems committed suicide under Cleggy boi
It was a rather sad affair, he's very sorry for it. In regards to the snap election, it seems clear that the election was triggered by May with the hefty pressure of the SNP, LD and Lab MPs, using the EU referendum results to interpret whatever mandate they wanted. Ostensibly the polls suggest that the Tories will be able to wipe out considerable numbers of pro-EU MPs who sit on constituencies which voted to Leave, and are MPs threatening to grind our gov to a halt. It's a gamble, a safe one - but a gamble nonetheless. I believe as long as the Tories don't get arrogant over positive statistics they should do splendidly, it seems that every time an election was a certain victory, its supporters didn't bother showing up for the "certain victory" and it turns into a surprising defeat.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1458 on: April 18, 2017, 11:06:42 am »

That's because London is a shit, m8.
Such individuals were not Londoners though, being from the rural countryside. I fear it is very much a generational thing, which would make it out to be considerably more than a geographic issue

'Elites' serves me well enough most of the time, but if you want something more banteriffic, I don't know, our all-powerful figureheads sounds about right.
Commoners -> House of Commons -> House of Lords -> House of Overlords

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: April 18, 2017, 01:35:18 pm »

Commoners -> House of Commons -> House of Lords -> House of Overlords

The House of Overlords of the United Kingdom, referred to ceremonially as the Eye of Godsmen, is the final house of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Like the House of Commons and the House of Lords, it meets in the Palace of Westminster.[3] Officially, the full name of the house is: We Godsmen Of Furthest Sight Who Guide The Fate Of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland convened in Shadow.

Unlike the publicly exposed lower houses, the members of the House of Overlords are not appointed based on democratic or aristocratic principles, but are taken from a mixture of elevation meritocracy from relevant corporate and social circles as well as non-heritable ritual attainment.[4] The membership of the House of Overlords is divided between these two groups, the Enlightened Eyes and the Sanguine Eyes. The Enlightened Eyes consist of exactly 256 beings elevated as Overlords by the methods of their seat, which exists in perpetuity. Elevation methods are determined by each seat's circle and are occasionally under retaliative binding, precluding their listing here.[5] The Sanguine Eyes consist of survivors of the Proclamation of Starless Night and all ongoing survivors of the Fated Venture. They have no set number and, lacking any elevation circle, rarely leave their seats except through death.[6] The Sanguine Eyes and the Enlightened Eyes are bound together through parliamentary obscurantism, not requiring any member of either group to identify themselves, as well as those members who have been identified adopting creation monitors. Very few of the latter group are female for obvious reasons.[7]

Few members of the House of Lords and only the Speaker of the House of Commons are aware of the Overlords. The Speaker employs their immemorial pronunciation at the instruction of the Monarch to clear difficulties created by the House of Commons, while the House of Lords is more independent, being retained through useful traditions and the legal weakness of the body.[8] Following the passage of the House of Lords Act of 1999, however, they have been far more obstructive to the Overlords, a trend that is believed to be sourced in the Lords who are aware of the Overlords guiding their ignorant peers. [citation needed]

The House of Overlords scrutinizes bills that have been approved by the lower houses and implants bills it wishes them to enact.[9] It regularly adds hidden clauses and amendments to legislation that was not originally implanted.[10] No act of law may be finalized in the United Kingdom without the approval of the Overlords[11], with the exception of the Monarch's rarely-invoked Divine Right of Establishment.[12] In this capacity, the House of Overlords serves to manage and protect the section of the human superorganism living under its authority.[13][14][15] [dubious - discuss] Bills can be introduced into either the House of Overlords directly or implanted within the lower houses or another public group. Members of the Overlords may never take on roles as government ministers even while employing a false identity, upon penalty of death [weasel words] under the Regulation for False Consciousness Act of 1951. The House of Overlords retains the right to partake of government support services, but in practice the Enlightened Eyes make use of their circles while the Sanguine Eyes are not in need.

A second Queen's Speech was held in the House of Overlords following the first speech in the House of Lords until 1991, when political difficulties regarding the Monarch's visitation began to emerge. The Overlords have little involvement in the British judicial system outside of the Judicial Management Committee, and some members of the Committee have infamously called for the disestablishment of Justice, a contributing factor to the Monarch's displeasure.[16] The Overlords also protect the practice and ritual of the Innermost Catholic Church of Lunes, and ensure that the Lunes do not reach beyond safe practice or are investigated by the public.[17]

>_

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:18:25 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: April 18, 2017, 01:56:09 pm »

... the f*ck....
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1461 on: April 18, 2017, 02:26:28 pm »

Now that is a work of art

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: April 18, 2017, 02:56:29 pm »

Surely that just describes Europe, though?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: April 18, 2017, 07:00:27 pm »

My guess is that while no party (apart from the Lib Dem/Green) will back Bremain, the contest will eventually end up with the Tories backign Hard Brexit and Labour back Soft Brexit and staying in the Common market. Since for a bunch of reason the Tories are probably going to win anyway, the vote should overall be good news for Brexiters since it'd give the hard brexit more legitimacy.
There is no such thing as a hard Brexit or a soft Brexit. There is leaving the European Union, and there is staying in the European Union. Staying in the economic union with the EU wherein it would decide our trade terms with the entire world, with our trade partners, wherein it would lock us into the continent's protectionism against our will, is rather odd - we would under such a proposal mislabeled the soft brexit, be ostensibly leaving the European Union, whilst remaining shackled to the economic mechanisms which ensure the real control of the European Union. For the sake of what? Bankers having easy credit access to Europe? Hahahaha, no, that simply wouldn't do. It would be foolish to lower the EU flag only to remain within EU institutions. The libdems are having a right giggle if they genuinely thought we voted "Leave the European Union" in order to have the European Union negotiate our trade deals with the Commonwealth and the World. Gods forbid, having our trade deals negotiated by a Union determined to make the United Kingdom's economy fail as an example to other nations. Can't think of a quicker route to suicide tbh
Hey, it's not our fault so many of you people want to remain in the EU's "common market" and are saying that their businesses and agricultural facilities will be in peril unless UK negotiates that. And guess what comes with this common market? That's right, regulations. UK will be forced to follow all EU regulations, and this time - it won't have any say at all about it. Ahahaha!
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1464 on: April 18, 2017, 07:12:32 pm »

Hey, it's not our fault so many of you people want to remain in the EU's "common market" and are saying that their businesses and agricultural facilities will be in peril unless UK negotiates that. And guess what comes with this common market? That's right, regulations. UK will be forced to follow all EU regulations, and this time - it won't have any say at all about it. Ahahaha!
The same people who wanted us to remain in the EU want us to remain in the single market, for the exact reasons you mentioned - it strengthens their project whilst weakening the UK. I also question your laughter, as the UK is leaving the single market, thus will not be subject to EU regulation or EU control of British trade.
Any agreement with the EU must "allow for the freest possible trade in goods and services", Mrs May said.
"But I want to be clear: what I am proposing cannot mean membership of the single market.
"It would, to all intents and purposes, mean not leaving the EU at all.
"That is why both sides in the referendum campaign made it clear that a vote to leave the EU would be a vote to leave the single market."
It is of no surprise for example that before the referendum Nick Clegg wept, saying that to leave the EU would require leaving the single market - only to U-turn when he lost. Let them talk, the real contest will be decided in the elections, if the liberal democrats manage to achieve a majority they will have earned the mandate to cancel Brexit.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 18, 2017, 07:27:58 pm »

Well, hey, you're welcome to have your home industries ruined because their clients were all in EU, then!
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1466 on: April 18, 2017, 07:34:36 pm »

Well, hey, you're welcome to have your home industries ruined because their clients were all in EU, then!
Hey look at none of the evidence you're providing

So much nothing is substantial in its emptiness

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 18, 2017, 07:38:56 pm »

I have no need to provide evidence of UK's trade with EU. It's self-evident for anyone.
._.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 18, 2017, 07:43:30 pm »

No, you have to provide evidence that the UK would suddenly lose every single bit of trade with the EU following Brexit.
Well, that's obvious. They leave the EU's single common market, so they don't get to trade with EU! Simple, really.

EDIT: Wait, there's also USA and China's trade with EU. I forgot about them. Shit.

EDIT2: I guess that makes my argument debunked, then.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:52:01 pm by Sergarr »
._.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 18, 2017, 08:00:29 pm »

What about all the ther countries that aren't part of the EU common market that trade with the EU? China, the US, Canada et. al.

Nah the British parties have to campaign that Brexit is still happening, but they can't do that in Scotland. I am curious how they deal with that dichotomy. I'm mostly surprised in my gut I still want the U.K. in yoorup.

I'm probably with you that Labour won't do well and I don't think the Lib Dems can move past the view they were spineless during the coalition, while Theresay May at least appears competent. She's also had the benefit of knowing she wants to do this, and has thus prepared for the campaigning.

My gut further tells me the Tories consolidate their position at the expense of Labour, while the SNP retain most of their seats in Scotland. Hopefully. May has forced Sturgeon's hand a bit, they may have to campaign on indyref2 to some extent. Could backfire handily though, for either side.

This seems a pretty astute summary of the factors involved. Though I imagine you're hoping it falls in Sturgeon's favour whereas I'm backing May.

Also, I thought you were backing independence for Scotland? If that's the case, why would you still want the U.K. in the EU? Or are you only in favour of Scottish independence in the event of the U.K. leaving the EU?

I am backing independence for Scotland, and my main reason for that (self-determination) kinda has me on the fence in terms of Brexit. I like the idea of Europe, but it is like most political things nice looking on paper but in practice, a bit shit. I also don't know that much about EU machinations to shift myself off the fence, one way or t'other. This on a conscious level, anyway.

As I say, my gut likes Europe, and doesn't like the Tories. Thus, a Tory-led charge away from the mainland doesn't sit comfortably.

Presently my desire for Scottish independence is kept separate from my feelings regarding Europe, until I can reconcile them. Which probably won't happen since I'm lazy.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 126