Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 59706 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)
« Reply #390 on: January 27, 2017, 01:00:50 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

01 Moonstone 88

Well, this is one way to start a season.

She gave birth right in the middle of a discussion on probing.  She promptly gathered up the baby, rather absentmindedly, and kept pursuing her argument.

02 Moonstone 88

Upon examining the walls of the shaft in the levels immediately above the magma flow, I’ve noticed warm stone on the next three levels.

We clearly just barely missed running into magma on the way down, but at least I know where to find it now.  It’s simply a question of digging the shafts in such a way that Armok’s gift won’t end up flooding things.
--------------------

04 Moonstone 88

Lotu paused in his shaft digging at a tap on his shoulder.  He turned to face the latest human to track him down.

“Please, I’d like to stay for a while, and demonstrate some new dances.”

Another one.  Why is it almost always humans?

“Go away.”

“You don’t mean that.  No one else knows the dances I—“

“No!”  Lotu held up his index finger.  “1st, you’re yet another entertainer, and we have plenty of those since the Bunnies of Roasting took up residence.”  The longest finger joined the first.  “2nd, you won’t be of any use for at least two years.”  The ring finger went up.  “3rd, even if you do eventually start to contribute in practical terms, you’re going to be slower and weaker than any dwarf.”  The pinky appeared.  “4th, you have no resident relatives to change my mind.”  Now it was the thumb’s turn.  “5th, this isn’t Human Town.”  His other closed fist rose.  “Need I go on?”

The human’s shoulders slumped, and he turned away dejectedly, shaking his head.
--------------------

07 Moonstone 88

The moat floor is complete, which will free up more hands to deal with preparations to retrieve the our dead.

14 Moonstone 88

Not again.  The Boats of Mining are on duty, but I’ve asked Imic to oversee things, since he has far more experience dealing with this sort of thing than our two neophyte swordsdwarves, Geño’s presence notwithstanding.

16 Moonstone 88

Dr. Urist and the mechanics have come up with a way to use magma to make retrieving our dead easier.  Instead of building lots of floors and walls and digging a drainage system, we’re going to build some tracks and track stops.  And this will finally use that nickel from melting down some of the imported cages.

19 Moonstone 88

It took the oversized worm almost a week to reach our waiting military.  And I was right to send in Imic.  The Boats of Mining made the creature bleed from a thousand cuts, but Imic landed a blow to the body that managed to tear the brain buried deep inside.  With that strike, he ended the fight before it could drag on for too long.
--------------------

20 Moonstone 88

Lotu hailed Zasit in the corridot.  “Dr. Urist wants soap, take care of it, will you?”

“How much?”

He looked at his notes.  “Three bars, she said.”

Zasit nodded.  “I’ll tell Momuz to make some more lye, there’s only one bucketful right now.”

23 Moonstone 88

Very slowly, Ingish felt his way through the warm stone.  Sweat poured his face as he felt the rock give beneath his pick.  Why did Lotu pick me to do this?  He’s got so much more experience working with liquid stuff…

Admiring the marvelous sight at the bottom of the channel, he grinned and headed back down the narrow passage at a trot.
--------------------

24 Moosntone 88

After claiming a crafter’s, she gathered a lot of bones, several handfuls of small cut gems, a log, some leather and an armful of rock blocks.  Whatever she’s making, it’s going to be decorated to death.

28 Moonstone 88

With the necessary magma collection chambers and access dug out, it’s time to build the pumps and get the minecart rails by the lake set up.

02 Opal 88

Dr. Urist’s mandate has been completed.

05 Opal 88

Really, an amulet?  You couldn’t have made something…I don’t know, a bit more useful?

Though it does have a very well-done picture of Airith’s floodgate.

08 Opal 88

The tracks are almost done, requiring only the track stops, and we have just enough nickel to forge a single magma-safe minecart. 

Soon we’ll dump a few loads into strategic places in the water and get those bodies properly buried.

14 Opal 88

With the anti-climbing defenses on the southeast corner complete, we can focus on finishing off Dr. Urist’s new and improved library.

22 Opal 88

Dump the minecart into the magma collection room.  Fill it using the two-pump system.  Wheelbarrow it up to the lake stockpile.  Push it on the tracks to the track stop.  Dump the magma.  Remove the track stop and dump the minecart.  Rinse and repeat 4 more times.

It’s a good thing we have two mechanics, at least one of them should be able to deconstruct each track stop as we use it.

24 Opal 88

I’ve assigned her to help Ciko with cheese production.

27 Opal 88

I was catching up with Geño, on duty at the cavern entrance, minding our own business, when another of those troglodytes charged me!

Between my pick and her sword, we dealt with the pest.  I need to rest now.

01 Obsidian 88

Fortunately, Dr. Urist saw to me as soon as I reached the hospital. 

She said I was lucky, but it hurts every time I try to breathe.  Still…there’s work to do.

03 Obsidian 88

Uh-oh.  We’d better hurry up with the funerals.

05 Obsidian 88

That “ghost” earlier?  Sky was ambushed by a gremlin on one of his cavern patrols.  He dispatched the creature, and thinks it was probably responsible for the cage incident.

Still, the sooner we lay the dead to rest, the less likely we’ll have real ghosts causing trouble.

11 Obsidian 88

While some of us are handling the magma, Ingish has started digging out plumbing for our magma workshops.  Soon the need for charcoal will be but a distant memory, and Spriggans can focus on making just ash instead.

21 Obsidian 88

The day of the double funeral finally arrived.  Rith buried Idur, and I myself buried Cequova.

Many people gathered to pay their respects to a friend, while the military was on guard in case another forgotten beast decided to crash the party. 

Afterwards, we repaired to the tavern and got comfortably drunk.

25 Obsidian 88

Work on the library is proceeding at a steady rate.

Once we move in some chests, tables and chairs, it will actually see some real use.

28 Obsidian 88

With most of our attention diverted to sad tasks, the quota ended up being neglected.

But, we haven’t fallen so far behind that we can’t catch up.

Current character list:
Spoiler: Clan A Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan B Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan C Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan D Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan E Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan F Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan G Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan H Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan I Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan K Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan W Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan X Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Y Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Z Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unaffiliated (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: R.I.P. (click to show/hide)

Following are updated profiles for all claimed characters in the order in which they appear on the units list:
Spoiler: Lyra 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lyra 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sky (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Airith 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Airith 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Another (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NCommander 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: NCommander 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Neo 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neo 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spriggans 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spriggans 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lotu 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lotu 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dr. Urist 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dr. Urist 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mooney 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mooney 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Imic 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bob (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ryukan (click to show/hide)
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 27, 2017, 02:02:45 pm »

Can I get a full zoomed out view of the fort above ground please?
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 27, 2017, 02:52:35 pm »

Little four year old Bob of Clan Y, son of NCommander and Imic... At four years old, he feels vengeful when entering a fight, but enjoyed playing with his little toy boat... The kid's dreaming of adventure and travel, I warrant.  When he grows older, I wonder if he will fulfill his dreams to craft a masterwork and to see far away places?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 27, 2017, 03:14:15 pm »

Those Dwarven scholars are really determined to argue.

Though it will probably get less noisy with the expansions. What material is that yellow and light gray bookcase, orthoclase?

Oh, so you did dig a double-helix :3

Still, finally getting access to magma is nice :) Though only 1 magma-safe minecart? I suppose if you use dipping through trench it isn't that much of a nerf....

Ah wait, you use pumps instead. Well, I suppose that does seem to be more common method.

So you finally decided that enough was enough and start rejecting people. How do you check if they're related to anyone anyway?

And a proper hospital too?

I'm not sure how long a soap bar lasts. Yes, one bar is ten uses, but how long does that take...? I do not know, beyond it being really slow.

Still, that wound log had no cleaning in it. Worrying.

Now that's a proper sendoff. It's regrettable that they died, but at least there's crowds to watch their bodies be lowered into the casket.

Pretty long thoughts screen. Usually they're shorter. All the deaths weight on the mind. And, -oh!

I notice that while newer dwarves are still joyful, some, like Kogsak Gusgashmedtob, don't really care about anything anymore. I wonder if it is the troglodytes?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 27, 2017, 03:57:09 pm »

Can I get a full zoomed out view of the fort above ground please?

Do you mean full-map (or full-fort) screenshots?  Because I haven't managed to get any of the 3D visualizers to work on this Mac.

What material is that yellow and light gray bookcase, orthoclase?

Those are wooden bookshelves that haven't been built yet.  FYI, all of the bookshelves are masterworks.  Nothing but the best in this library.

So you finally decided that enough was enough and start rejecting people. How do you check if they're related to anyone anyway?

I 'esc' out of the petition screen once I have the name (this doesn't cancel the petition, so I can come back once I've made the decision), then go looking through everyone in the appropriate race to see if the petitioner is listed in a relationship screen as something other than a friend.

I'm not sure how long a soap bar lasts. Yes, one bar is ten uses, but how long does that take...?

I don't know.  I have a standing work order to make two bars if we drop below five (and keep three bucketfuls of lye on hand, to avoid cancellation spam).  That seems to keep enough soap available.

Still, that wound log had no cleaning in it. Worrying.

Yes, but at the moment there's no infection, so I think my avatar is safe.

I notice that while newer dwarves are still joyful, some, like Kogsak Gusgashmedtob, don't really care about anything anymore. I wonder if it is the troglodytes?

More likely due to the troglodyte corpses scattered around the cavern access, and the capuchin corpses scattered around near Tayldis Bridge, and the semi-megabeast and forgotten beast corpses scattered...rather randomly elsewhere...

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 27, 2017, 05:33:46 pm »

Mid-Winter, Swordgangs

The caravan was over a month late, and the dwarves were getting antsy.  So it was with relief that the sentry on duty spotted the tell-tale movement in the distance.

But the wagons that pulled in showed signs of hard travel, much more so than usual.  And the traders were clearly exhausted.

Lashedround soon explained why.  "There are several armies of goblins and elves between here and Finderboards.  We had to detour quite far to avoid them."

Bomrek dismissed the inconvenient conflict.  "The quota?"

"Here."

The other traders had been busy during Lashedround's recital.  Bomrek immediately zeroed in on the pile of anvils.  "They're short."

But before he could launch the building tirade, Meng drew his attention.  "Why are there iron bars?  We never ordered those."

Lashedround nodded.  "'ccordin' to Lotu, they knew they wouldn't have time to make the anvils, so they sent the metal you'd need to make 'em yerselves."

Meng restrained the sigh of relief.  "At least that's something."

"But they sent more toys."  Bomrek pointed out in something close to a whine.

Meng shrugged.  "We'll give them to the kids.  I'd better get the blacksmith started on the remaining anvils."
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:36:40 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 28, 2017, 01:50:44 am »

[That's pretty annoying way to find relationships, I guess.

A quicker way might be saving the game right before, accepting the petition and checking relations (might also need a tweak makeown and then adjusting resident status under flags2 with gui/gm-editor, been a while). Then quitting the game and restarting from save if it is not acceptable.

[Never seen a dwarven caravan arrive in winter.

Those dark pits and a fort....Swordgangs and elven retreats are in range of them. You currently though? Seem not.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 28, 2017, 08:00:25 am »

[Never seen a dwarven caravan arrive in winter.

Those dark pits and a fort....Swordgangs and elven retreats are in range of them. You currently though? Seem not.

Nor have I, but it makes a good addition to the story (and may well become a possibility in future releases).  And the goblins are expanding outward, slowly but surely.  They had six marked tiles when I originally embarked in spring 75, of which neither of the two currently launching armies.  Though I would rather see them expanding southward, rather than east/westward.

- Dame de la Licorne

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2017, 10:56:00 pm »

01 Granite 89

With the beginning of our 14th year here, Airith and I have taken a moment to view everything we’ve accomplished.  The biggest changes are above-ground.  Where originally there was only the simplest palisade, now a mighty tower grows toward the heavens.

Surface level:

Surface level +1:

Surface level +2:

Surface level +3:

And Airith has that look on her face.  The one that says she’s planning a new project.

02 Granite 89

Our single large rat has died, so we need to trap more.  And keeping those wild troglodytes prisoner is going to interfere with that.

Wait a minute.

We can use them to train recruits, if we release them one at a time.  Hmm, I’ll talk to Imic about that.

05 Granite 89

Mooney wants some fortifications built around the southeast corner.  We have the blocks, so we may as well.

08 Granite 89

The turkeys keep claiming all of the nest boxes, so we’re in the process of digging out some bird rooms.  Or I suppose we should call them egg-layer rooms.

12 Granite 89

Is this going to be a thing, to usher in each season?

Spriggans and Sky are, naturally, overjoyed.

14 Granite 89

I ordered the extra poor-quality glass toys moved.  We might as well get some use out of them.

18 Granite 89

Since many of the dwarves complaining about the food like various kinds of flour, I’ve assigned her to be our miller.  Now I just need to acquire and plant some millable crops.  We’ll already be able to start by making some dwarven wheat flour, which will make Udil of Clan A and Litast happy happier.

22 Granite 89

We have no use for a pikeman, so I sent him on his way.

23 Granite 89

I got the trading over with, buying several different animals.  For once, the elves actually brought a breeding pair, so we’re now the proud owners of the beginning of a wolf pack.  It’s a pity they can’t be trained for war.

Before Trade:                                                  After Trade:

By the time I finished trading, we had added a new resident.

02 Slate 89

The fortifications atop the new ramparts are complete, providing some protection to our marksdwarves.

05 Slate 89

Some migrants have made their way here, seeking safety from the Sin of Wraiths by settling at the other end of the known world.  Well, this is certainly that.

First we have Sky’s younger brother, Äs Tomefenced, who has experience as both a woodcutter and a hammerdwarf.  He’s going to join the Helmed Anvils.  His wife, Lorbam Gearmetal, is a fishery worker, so she’ll help clean the fish Rith catches.  They were accompanied by Sky’s older brother, Zuglar Diamonddrums.  He seems to be a farmer of all trades, but is no better than a novice at any of them.  I sent him to join his brothers in the military.  Last I saw he was trying to make a short sword, so I think Imic assigned him to the Bolts of Mining.

Limul’s wife, Tobul Healgilds, tagged along.  He’s been wandering around since 75, looking for a place to settle down permanently.  He must have sent word with the caravan as soon as he arrived two years ago for her to have arrived now.  She’s a glazer, so I’ve sent her over to turn Atîs’s earthenware pots and jugs into liquid storage.

Then we have some other cousins in Clan A.  Since Erib always seems to be overwhelmed by the number of animals to be slaughtered, I’ve Assigned Kol Toneswords to help her out.  His wife, Catten Crowchambers, is a trained jeweler, so she’ll help Logem make all of those gems Bomrek keeps ordering.  They were joined by Uvash’s widowed daughter, Tun Sunkenportals.  She has some experience avoiding getting stung by bees, so we’ll get some honey production going as soon as Atîs makes some hives.

Last, but certainly not least, Rimtar Rewardcraft, of Clan L, straggled in at the tail end of the group.  He has training as both a wound dresser and suturer, so Dr. Urist will have some help if she ever needs it.  I’ve also instructed him to act as a scholar in his free time.

16 Slate 89

We need to carve out some extra rooms for all these people.  And designate an enclave for Clan L, in case more of them decide to join Rimtar.

07 Slate 89

Excellent!  She likes hammers, so Imic sent his daughter to train with Sky.
--------------------

12 Slate 89

Imic led the military forth, as the minotaur charged straight toward the walls.

Ustuth was the first to join battle.  Dancing around, she fired bolt after bolt into its body.  When she ran out of bolts, she started bashing whatever she could reach with her bone crossbow. 

Thîkut was the next to join battle.  Eager to show that she was, in fact, Imic’s daughter in all ways, she was actually wielding one of the spare battle axes, instead of her assigned hammer.  She landed several inexperienced blows before Solon and Xetan arrived, but still managed to render one of the enemy’s hands useless.

The minotaur seemed to equate size with danger, and turned on the human Xetan, ignoring the other dwarves.  Meanwhile, Solon took advantage of its distraction to alternate stabs to the head with stabs to the limbs.  Bleeding from more and more stab wounds, the minotaur was barely conscious when Gel piled into the mélée.

With two strikes of her whip, Gel finished the creature off, just as the rest of the military drew near.

Finally arriving on the scene, Sky made a beeline for his newest recruit.  “You’re s’pposed t’ ‘ave a hammer!  What’re yer doin’ with that!”

“Dad has an axe. I—“

“Yer dad assigned ye to me to become a hammerdwarf.  Ye’ll be a hammerdwarf!”  Seizing hold of her upper arm, he force-marched toward the stockpiles.

“Dad!”  Thîkut cried in protest, seeing Imic approach.

“Ye’ll be a hammerdwarf.  We’ve got plenty of axe-wielders already.”

Shorn of the support she’d expected, Thîkut exchanged weapons grudgingly.
--------------------

Excerpt from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

17 Slate 89

Work on the plumbing system for our permanent fueled workshops proceeds slowly, as we have to test every bot we dig to determine the source of the heat. 

--------------------

26 Slate 89

Lotu stopped in his tracks, struck by a sudden thought.

“That…that…I have to make that!”

Whirling, he dashed up the ramps and into the nearest masonry, shoving Vucar out without so much as a by-your-leave.  She stared at the slammed door and shook her head.  “Well, I never!”

Let me see, I’m going to need rocks, yes.  And some of those lovely gems I’ve dug out.  And…wood!  Wood will be excellent!  Hmm, but it’s missing something…  Blocks?  Nah, those’ll ruin the design.  Leather?  Cloth?  Too flimsy.  But Logem’s cut gems will add a little something.  Yet it still needs…right!  Bones!  A few well-placed bones will tie it all together!

List decided, Lotu started his single-minded hunt through the various stockpiles and workshops.

27 Slate 89

Sudden screams echoed through the caverns, jerking the Boats of Mining away from their lazy patrols.  Charging toward the source, they beheld a child under attack by a trio of troglodytes.  Flailing her fists around, Tekkud was managing to hold them off, but was clearly tiring.  Drawing their weapons, Neo and Solon waded into the fray and dispatched the attackers with a few well-placed thrusts.

“What are you doing way over here!?”  Neo yelled.  “Our patrols don’t come out this far!  Ever!”

“Play make-believe.”  Tekkud replied, unworriedly, crawling off to continue her game.

The swordsdwarves looked at each other.  “Zuglar.  Give a message to the first civilian you see passing by that we need someone to bring her to the hospital.  Solon and I’ll keep an eye on her until Geño gets back from her lunch break.”  Neo cast a jaundiced eye at the bruised and bleeding child.

A while later, Minkot finally arrived to bear Tekkud away to the hospital. 

“No!  No!  Play!”  Screaming, Tekkud crawled as quickly as she could, but the adult, uninjured planter was faster.  Scooping up the child, she deposited her firmly into one of the hospital beds for Dr. Urist to attend to.

02 Felsite 89

Enough is enough.  One at a time is too slow.

With Lotu paying no attention to current events, Imic decided to take things into his own hands.  He ordered all of the caged troglodytes and their offspring released into the training area for fighting practice.

“If we don’t remove all the spies inside our walls, these attacks on our most vulnerable citizens will continue!  We’ll teach them a lesson.  Not to mess with dwarves!

08 Felsite 89

Over a week after her injuries, Tekkud finally left the hospital.  And, despite all the washing Dr. Urist did with soap, the child’s hand had gotten infected.

The dwarf, loitering in the hallway, gritted his teeth.  That was the wrong child!  All that work to lure the intended target into that section of the caverns, and it decides to get a drink at the last minute.  Gah!  Still, I can’t complain about a secondary target living on borrowed time, can I?

10 Felsite 89

Lotu continued on, happily oblivious.

14 Felsite 89

Yes.  This…this is…wondrous…

Lotu slowly emerged, carefully balancing the heavy coffin, eager to display it to the other villagers.

It will look great on display next to Another’s galena coffin.
--------------------

15 Felsite 89

After hearing about Tekkud, I’ve ordered Imic to push the cavern patrols further out.  But she’s a tough little thing.  If it weren’t for that infection, I’d seriously consider earmarking her for the military too.

16 Felsite 89

Not again.  Though seems something’s already had a go at it.

Getting to it is going to take a little time, since it’s down in the sealed-off lower caverns. 

17 Felsite 89

I’m still catching up on everything that’s happened, but I was pleased to learn that the birds, butchery and tannery have successfully been moved to much safer homes underground.

And we’re using our own clear glass.  Take that, Bomrek!
--------------------

18 Felsite 89

The goblins chivvied their charges along, as the group approached the wood and stone walls of Finderboards.

“Now remember, Pesor.  Once we’re in, you get us residency.  After that, as long as you keep your mouth shut and don’t interfere, no harm will come to your family.”

“Yeah.  I got it.”

But as she crossed the bridge, Pesor swallowed hard.  This sounded so much easier when I was trapped in Faintedsteal.  What was it Mother always said?  ‘The best lie is forged from truth.’  That was it.

Squaring her shoulders, she headed off on her mission.
--------------------

19 Felsite 89

Another refugee group has arrived, fleeing the steadily escalating clashes between the elves and the goblins to the northwest.  Of course, they claim to be entertainers, but anyone with eyes will see the truth.  Why else would there be two goblins travelling as apprentices to a human?

Of course, I let them stay.  Unlike some of those human dancers and singers, refugees don’t have anywhere else to go.

Pesor’s first request was a decent burial for her baby sister, Suque.  It took a minute, but then I realized she was referring to one of the werelizards we’ve put down over the years.  Which reminds me, we never buried Cawcul’s were-wife Bañec, either.

Maybe we should get on with that?

22 Felsite 89

The military finally gathered and has ventured out to deal with the newest monster.

They successfully dealt with the threat, and promptly started coughing blood everywhere.  Dr. Urist looked them over, and said that after breathing in Romlan’s ice-breath, a little blood was to be expected, but she couldn’t do anything about the blisters.  She sent them all off to bed to sleep it off, including our fearless militia commander.

He really must not be feeling well, because he went without a single murmur of protest.

25 Felsite 89

It isn’t often that I have to deal with individual complaints.  Usually I get a delegation.  But this time, one of our newest residents chose the time-honored route of yelling at the person in charge.

Pesor has apparently been extremely stressed by the presence of all of these corpses.  But I think she was feeling better by the time I sent her on her way.

--------------------

28 Felsite 89

“What do you mean, you can’t make large gems from clay?”

Lotu stared at Logem, who shrugged.  “Th’ clay breaks under pressure.  Every time I try, I get small cut gems.  I either need glass, or rough gems.”

Lotu looked down at the production numbers.  “I’ll postpone the move down to magma, and get Mebzuth to make you glass.”

And I’ll need to buy out the humans’ cheese.

Current character list:
Spoiler: Clan A Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan B Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan C Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan D Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan E Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan F Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan G Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan H Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan I Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan K Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan L Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan W Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan X Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Y Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Z Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unaffiliated (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: R.I.P. (click to show/hide)

Following are updated profiles for all claimed characters in the order in which they appear on the units list:
Spoiler: Lyra 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lyra 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Imic 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sky 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sky 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Airith 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Airith 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Another 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Another 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NCommander 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: NCommander 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mooney 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mooney 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Neo 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neo 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spriggans 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spriggans 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lotu 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lotu 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dr. Urist 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dr. Urist 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bob (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ryukan (click to show/hide)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 30, 2017, 12:41:55 am »

Little Bob NCommanderson of Clan Y seems to be toughening up: "doesn't feel anything after seeing all these trogs die..." He'll make a fine mercenary some day.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 30, 2017, 04:39:39 am »

That's a lot of trees.

And I notice few are undesignated? Outside the palisade, that is. Though I'd have expected you to run an orchard as well.

Inside the palisade itself, numerous red dots signify the reliance on coal,while nestboxes mark the food source. Odd, that - I expected you to sustain yourself via an orchard initially, given the embark.

And of course, the gray brings out areas of interest. Though I'm not sure surface-level aquifer pierce holes ever did anything you have nonetheless continued it on levels above ground.

The single tile bedrooms in the library - sometimes I wonder; how much of a push did 0.23a give for that style of bedrooms? Individual, manually assigned bedrooms are far more common than individual, manually assigned dining rooms after all.

Though it is all cultural/story in the end.

It seems the caverns are interfering in your plans.

Going to conquer them for the slight?

Hm. The births might be linked to when parents take vacations.

I don't think Udil and Litast can seek out flour-based roasts, sadly :(

Though if you run lean food stocks, I suppose it is possible to fulfil it enough to keep it from red.

I recall one heroic pikeman fighting a Forgotten Beast....

Are you going to reduce visitor cap, now that you're happy with the number of people in fort?

Well, I guess you still wanted some migrants, but still.

As for Tunlǐlar liking hammers, I'd have given them a bit of weaponsmithing experience first...But if preference boost applies to military it should be akin to nice skill boost.

PS: Glazers will happily glaze stone items, making them somewhat useful on non-clay embarks and slightly annoying if you use both clay and stone pots.

Your magma plumbing system reminds me of a spider, for some reason. How many z-levels is that?

Gold and silver/lead coffins?

I suppose it's neat indeed.

But I'm dissapointed about the lack of images on the coffin :(

Caverns are dangerous, aren't they?

Hm, I recall - with some intelligent animal groups, if you let one escape the map after the rest of the group saw combat with dwarves, their fear or boldness towards dwarves can depend on their success in that encounter. Not sure it applies to troglodytes, but worth considering.

*snrk*

Sorry dudes, left your wives to be eaten by carrions. Dwarven custom, you see.

Checking 42.06 manager, it lets me also mandate large gems from metal, wood, bone, tooth, ivory, horn, pearl and rock.

Of course, some of these are missing from workshops, but I say this is a fine chance for Akrul to shine. 

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 30, 2017, 09:48:47 am »

Inside the palisade itself, numerous red dots signify the reliance on coal,while nestboxes mark the food source. Odd, that - I expected you to sustain yourself via an orchard initially, given the embark.

We are in the process of moving down to magma.  And the fruit trees all seem to spawn outside the walls (part of the reason for extending the palisade is to try and get some of them to spawn inside the walls for easier/safer collection).  Hence the chopping whenever the axedwarves aren't on duty.

The single tile bedrooms in the library

They're actually assigned to the tavern (on surface level +1).  And they're 1x1s because that's easier/cheaper to build and fit in to the tower.  Back on 0.23a I would always give everyone 2x2s, with nobles getting larger as appropriate.  But digging...easy.

It seems the caverns are interfering in your plans.

Going to conquer them for the slight?

There are always plans...but the troglodytes are getting more annoying than the keas.

I don't think Udil and Litast can seek out flour-based roasts, sadly :(

Though if you run lean food stocks, I suppose it is possible to fulfil it enough to keep it from red.

At the time, they had no chance at all.  At least now we've got some roasts they'll like, even if it's 1 in 1000 chance they'll actually grab it.

Are you going to reduce visitor cap, now that you're happy with the number of people in fort?

Well, I guess you still wanted some migrants, but still.

Depends on the story.

As for Tunlǐlar liking hammers, I'd have given them a bit of weaponsmithing experience first...But if preference boost applies to military it should be akin to nice skill boost.

She's the one who made the artifact toy axe.  That's why I didn't bother.

Your magma plumbing system reminds me of a spider, for some reason. How many z-levels is that?

Total levels of magma? 6.  These are on the topmost-level, with workshops above and stockpiles (with minecart tracks) above that.  I make basically two forts.  One near the surface, reaching down to the first cavern layer (and possibly a level or two past that), one down by the magma, connected by a slew of minecart tracks.

Gold and silver/lead coffins?

I suppose it's neat indeed.

But I'm dissapointed about the lack of images on the coffin :(

You mean, pictures of them built?  They need the right presentation.

Caverns are dangerous, aren't they?

Hm, I recall - with some intelligent animal groups, if you let one escape the map after the rest of the group saw combat with dwarves, their fear or boldness towards dwarves can depend on their success in that encounter. Not sure it applies to troglodytes, but worth considering.

I did not know that.  It's worth a try.

Edit: This doesn't work.  Releasing them near any map edge results in them pathing straight back into the nearest cages.  I'm going to have to kill 'em.

Checking 42.06 manager, it lets me also mandate large gems from metal, wood, bone, tooth, ivory, horn, pearl and rock.

You mean waste the good stuff on quota?  I'm probably going to have to resort to that, though.  We have tons of bone...

-Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:30:49 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 30, 2017, 12:28:25 pm »

- Ah, that explains about the lack of orchard. Easier if you place your forts where trees are :P

- I guess the troglodytes might have already killed someone and lived to tell about it, then.

- Regarding z-levels, I meant more in totality, though that is interesting as well.
What distances are you running between upper fort and lower one?

- Regarding coffins, I meant the mooding dwarf drawing pictures on them.

- I dunno, with the amount of treefelling you're doing wood might not pass the muster for "good stuff".

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 30, 2017, 03:36:31 pm »

Excerpt from the Diary of Tobul "Neo" Oddomidash" - 23rd Felsite, 89
       Man, being laid up in bed is a horrible, horrible affront in the life of a military dwarf. Still, from what I've heard, the beast that caused this accursed blistering had a relatively mild poison as those creatures go. Why, just the the other day, I heard a tale of a feathered serpent whose shed scales caused those they touched to bleed from every orifice, exsanguinating them in mere minutes after they had encountered it. Anyway, to pass the time during this period, I have decided to start writing a diary, mostly so I don't go crazy from boredom while I'm immobilized. On a more pleasant note, I finally got revenge on those troglodytes that beat me up earlier this year, even managed to save a child in the process. Though, what a child was doing playing so far out in the caverns is beyond me. We were lucky that it was just trogs that found the child and not the beast that laid the whole militia up in the hospital. I'll have to talk to Lotu about figuring out if we can keep better track of where the people in the fortress are, particularly when they go out to the caverns or on the surface, maybe set up some checkpoints at the various entrances and exits of the fort and keep some written records when people go through them. I'll have to remember to mention it to him once I get out of the hospital or maybe to Akrul, since she is so obsessive about record-keeping and organizing anyway that it'll give her something to do. It might even keep her busy and not breathing down the back of the necks of half of the workforce, which would probably make their jobs faster and easier anyway.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 30, 2017, 06:42:14 pm »

- Regarding z-levels, I meant more in totality, though that is interesting as well.
What distances are you running between upper fort and lower one?

Between the surface and the bottom of the lowest magma-seeking shaft is 62 z-levels (+4 levels to the tower's "roof").  There are currently 26 z-levels between the bottom of the top section and the planned top of the bottom section (which will take up 3 or 4 levels, not counting the magma pipes).  The top underground section comprises 18 levels (not counting aquifer and cavern levels, where they're just following the Central Spire ramps).  And there's a second cavern hiding in there somewhere that I've managed to miss completely on the way down.

- Regarding coffins, I meant the mooding dwarf drawing pictures on them.

Apparently, Lotu's not the type.

tale of a feathered serpent whose shed scales caused those they touched to bleed from every orifice

*runs away screaming*  NIMBY!  But I'll try not get you killed in the event we get something like that.  Probably get the archers to earn their keep, instead.

- Dame de la Licorne

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36