Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 60356 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)
« Reply #405 on: January 30, 2017, 11:59:21 pm »

I'm still reading this, but RL has been in the way, I'll Whip up an RP later this week... month.... year...

and yes, I did mean an aerial view like that, not the 3d one. I just wanted a layout of the fort.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 02, 2017, 09:56:25 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

01 Hematite 89

Akrul seems to have taken the lack of gems as a personal insult.

03 Hematite 89

On the one hand, Mebzuth keeps arguing with Minkot over the amount of time she spends in the fields, and on the other hand, the elves keep mourning our reliance on wood.  They’ve given me a headache, but I’ve found a solution.  From now on, all elves will be sent to the fields and to gather plants, since they like them so much and think they can do better.  Minkot can help Spriggans, who is falling further and further behind.  Though once the magma workshops get up and running, the situation will change.

05 Hematite 89

Pesor keeps asking for meetings, and then alternates crying about all the corpses scattered around with yelling about all of the corpses scattered around.

I’ve turned the visitor graveyard into a general corpse stockpile.

And I can already see that it’s going to get cluttered up with troglodyte bits.

10 Hematite 89

The cheese has arrived!  At least, they’d better have brought cheese.  I’ve sent a bunch of mostly useless stuff for trading.  We seem to have a lot of hair thread lying around.

11 Hematite 89

Neo had what sounds like a bad nightmare while on bed rest.  Something about a feathered monster whose feathers caused anything that touched them to bleed out in minutes.  The idea still gives me the shivers.  But we’re in the middle of nowhere.  Nothing like that will find its way here, right?  Right?

I’m going to spend some time in the temple.

16 Hematite 89

I bought a lot of cheese.  I debated buying their anvils, just in case Bomrek wants more, and in the end decided, what the heck.  We’re over the import cap, probably permanently, and Echoworked never said anything about limits on the humans.  Maybe we can stockpile enough human anvils that we’ll be able to meet quota the next time they demand some.  Bomrek just had better hold off on demanding them for about ten years.

Before Trade:                                                  After Trade:

19 Hematite 89

Wow.  I didn’t realize just how many unbutcherable creatures had died in the last fourteen years.  Things have ground to a halt while we deal with that problem.

28 Hematite 89

The first of the two new butchery pastures is complete.

I’ve told Sigun to move all of the untamed but trained non-grazing animals into it.  Having them all in one place will make it easier for him to keep track of which ones need a training update when.

Ingish has started work on the other one, which will house our tamed non-grazing animals.
--------------------

07 Malachite 89

The dwarf led the troglodyte child down the passage, heading for the execution zone.  As always, his agile mind carefully considered ways and means, but he reluctantly set them aside.  The Helmed Anvils were simply too well-armored, too well-trained to sustain any serious injuries.  Barring an act of the gods, of course.  No, better to wait until Galena.  The Boats of Mining are weaker, except for Geño, and she can't be baby-sitting them all the time.  Plus, they have a primary target, the Anvils only have secondary targets, at best.  But...this plan may work.  And once they get to the hospital...  He released the troglodyte to the tender care of the Anvils, still refining his new plan.
--------------------

19 Malachite 89

We are slowly whittling down our troglodyte prisoners, and our hammerdwarves are gaining experience at the same time.  This would go more quickly if they weren’t popping out babies at a tiresomely steady rate.

04 Galena 89

The swordsdwarves have taken over troglodyte training, and Zuglar doesn’t seem to understand that swords have points and edges.  He’s been trying to wrestle, instead.

None of these seem threatening.  Hopefully he’ll learn from the experience.

08 Galena 89

As Ingish digs out each workshop, Nil is starting to smooth the central floors of the magma workshop rooms.  We’ll soon be able to start reducing our fuel consumption, saving wood for other things.  Like those large gems that are still missing.
--------------------

11 Galena 89

Being on cavern duty is soooo boring.  Solon leaned against the cavern wall, waiting for the next troglodyte scheduled for execution while Neo grabbed some dinner.  Dealing with wild animals…primitive dwarves…why can’t we have some excitement?

He nodded a greeting as Stodir passed by, hauling a cage to reload one of the nearby traps.  Sotdir grunted in response, wrestling with his awkward burden.  Solon watched him trudge across the small valley, and shifted his position against the wall.

Suddenly Stodir froze.

Solon jerked upright, scanning for any threat.  There’s nothing there!  A ghost?  We buried everyone…didn’t we?

Ah-ha!  “That’s no ghost!”  Solon shot forward, swiftly overtaken by Geño, who apparently also had been feeling rather bored.  The gremlin proved as elusive as a kobold, racing south toward the nearest maze of narrow passages.  The Boats of Mining paused just inside the mouth, listening.  After a while, Geño relaxed.  “I think it might still be running.  We should head back.”

Solon followed.  That wasn’t much of an adventure, though it did break the tedium a little. 
--------------------

11 Galena 89

Gremlins in the caverns.  They're annoying little pests.  I need to avoid putting any levers or other machinery in there, in case they mess with things other than cages.

That checkpoint idea of Neo’s...I need to think about where to put them.

15 Galena 89

Zuglar has been released back to active duty.  As he walked past me, I noticed an odd smell.  Odder than usual, I mean.

Really?  Even with all the soap Zasit has been delivering on a regular basis?  And I know Dr. Urist cleaned him, I saw her do it myself.   I’m beginning to think she’s doing this deliberately.  I’d better have a word with her about choosing appropriate research subjects.  Like that never-ending stream of visitors, who’s equipment pushes us over the cap.

21 Galena 89

It’s official.  Limul petitioned for citizenship, and I was more than happy to grant it.  Since he’s a marksdwarf, I’ve sent him down to Imic, for assignment to one of the crossbow sqauds.

28 Galena 89

Do I have to look?

I hate to say it but, thanks to Akrul’s insistence, we should be okay.  OOC: With a month to make 10 large gems at each of three crafter’s, we should be able to finish the gem without a problem.

Current character list:
Spoiler: Clan A Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan B Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan C Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan D Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan E Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan F Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan G Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan H Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan I Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan K Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan L Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan W Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan X Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Y Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Z Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unaffiliated (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: R.I.P. (click to show/hide)

Following are updated profiles for all claimed characters in the order in which they appear on the units list:
Spoiler: Lyra 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lyra 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Airith 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Airith 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Another (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NCommander 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: NCommander 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Neo 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neo 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spriggans 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spriggans 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lotu 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lotu 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dr. Urist 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dr. Urist 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mooney 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mooney 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sky 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sky 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bob (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ryukan (click to show/hide)
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 03, 2017, 01:20:10 am »

Little 4-year old Bob NCommanderson has begun exercising his thespian talent.  How interesting!  I wonder what he was performing to such satisfaction?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 03, 2017, 08:57:05 am »

I think he was telling a story, but I was busy with magma-related digging cancellation spam and missed it.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 03, 2017, 12:27:37 pm »

I think he was telling a story, but I was busy with magma-related digging cancellation spam and missed it.

- Dame de la Licorne

No worries.  If you go and check out his skills, I bet he's got a "novice" in some story skill (misc only).  Sometimes it lists the exact story title, although I'm not sure how to reference what that story is about.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 03, 2017, 03:28:23 pm »

This is Bob's current screen (before un-pausing the autumn autosave):

So he's been reciting poems, rather than telling stories.  My bad.  I'll keep an eye on him and try to get some details about those poetry forms.

- Dame de la Licorne

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 03, 2017, 04:48:54 pm »

Early Autumn, 89 - Theaterknowledge

The Master studied the latest reports.  Salveluck had fallen on schedule, and the goblin agents had neutralized eight targets.  Four others had simply gotten in the way and paid the price. 

Most of the remaining dwarves had fled the advancing goblin army, spreading northward toward the great mountainhomes and safety.  There were more targets amongst their number, but he was satisfied with them running for the moment.

Helmsmatch was still holding out, but would surely follow in Salveluck's footsteps soon.

Already, another five targets had been removed from consideration, though the local military had managed to drive off the latest attack.  Still, the Master was pleased with the southern agents.

But the last report to land on the desk was disappointing.  The Finderboards' agent was experiencing more difficulty than anticipated.  A few infections, while lethal in the long-term, would still allow the targets time to produce more targets.  That Lotu is proving far too capable at his job.  Subtlety isn't working quickly enough, and there are no goblins within range.  Of course, he has struck adamantine.  If only he would dig too deep...but he may be too smart, or too cautious, for that.  Which only leaves one option...

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #412 on: February 03, 2017, 07:57:10 pm »

I'm posting this so I don't have an excuse not to post some of dr Urist's journal
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 06, 2017, 04:53:36 am »

Horn gems? Didn't think you had great reserves of horn. But I suppose it is rare material indeed.

Uh...That's one way to deal with corpses.

*looks at troglodyte bits*

Ah. Smart enough to get dumb ideas, I guess.

....Are they trying to escape by outbreeding you? Or is it them thinking "We're going to die tomorrow, and I never told him/her I love them!"?

Hm. Now that I think of the magmacrabsplosion problem, the breeding caps should apply to them.

That's unexpected decision with the cap. Many times the dwarven traders have cut away part of the quota. Leather items alone...Well.

Care must be taken to not appear to be snubbing the king with this.

A gremlin.

Doesn't the released monster attack them, anyway?

They're supposed to be intelligent...Well, they're smarter than the troglodytes I guess.

Interesting. Zuglar, being a widower, won't be producing any descendants - but the goblins don't know that. Cultural clash, it seems like...

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 06, 2017, 10:57:32 pm »

Horn gems? Didn't think you had great reserves of horn.

We actually have quite a bit of the stuff, because the aurochsen produce it upon butchery (modded-in creatures, granted...).

That's unexpected decision with the cap. Many times the dwarven traders have cut away part of the quota. Leather items alone...Well.

Care must be taken to not appear to be snubbing the king with this.

Given that the king (through Echoworked) was the one to impose the new "trade only one thing" rule while above the cap, I decided that a paper transaction for dwarven caravan items would be bending the rules a bit too far.

Update: I'm about halfway through the next update and, for storyline purposes, have decided to start diversifying our temples.  If anyone wants to submit a temple design for a deity, feel free to post it, along with any other details (decorations/furniture, in-fort preferred placement, etc.).

Here's our deity list with full descriptions:
Dwarven:

Spoiler: Robek (click to show/hide)
Note: Temple currently under construction.

Spoiler: Lisig (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ral (click to show/hide)

Human:
Spoiler: Luth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gili (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Acath (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kas (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Upu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Athrab (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Vicu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Eno (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kenom (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mata (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ulde (click to show/hide)

Elven (who seem to have 0 imagination...):
Note: communal shrine currently under construction.
Spoiler: Aríle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tise (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:20:13 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 07, 2017, 04:22:12 pm »

For some reason, whenever I think of the Elven "forces", I picture a hill containing one ancient tree, encircled by a small stream that meanders through an overgrown garden featuring two rings of free-form sculpture, mossy paths and little wooden bridges.  Like an overgrown Japanese tea garden

It does make one wonder, what would a statue of a "force" look like?

The garden shrine of The Butterfly of Mists:
Features a 5z waterfall falling into a contemplation pool where followers can swim and enjoy the mist while communing with their "Force". (before starting the flow of water, create the pool area as a small gazebo temple area featuring the requisite table and a statue of the "Force"), The contemplation pool empties out into a stream that is pumped into successively higher channels by a series of paddle-wheel/corkscrew arrangements, until at last flowing out as its own waterfall source once again - the impossible perpetual motion of such an arrangement could testify to the Force's presence.  I imagine the upper-most channel might also be replenished by a linked pool which was itself refilled each time the rain came, joining the bounded cycle of the shrine with the rest of the natural world.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:43:14 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 07, 2017, 05:04:33 pm »

As the god with the largest number of worshipers in the fortress, Robek clearly deserves his own temple. I propose a large vault-like structure 3 to 5 z-levels in height, cylindrical in shape and carved or built entirely from a dark grey/black stone, obsidian preferably. The walls are lined with statues of night creatures and at its center lies a raised platform, covered in the bones of the fortress's slain enemies. Alcoves in the walls, raised up several z levels, contain stationary instruments which are accessible by pillared ramps leading from the floor up to the alcoves.
Cross section:
Code: [Select]
| | ^           ___           ^ | |
| | | ^ ___ ^ |     | ^ ___ ^ | | |
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 07, 2017, 05:38:27 pm »

I usually just give each of my civ's deities a 5x5 smoothed and engraved room in a stone layer, plus one for no particular deity.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 07, 2017, 09:25:57 pm »

The garden shrine of The Butterfly of Mists:
<snip>

The murky pool part is going to be difficult (because the currently-accessible murky pools are going to end up drained into the moat, unless the shrine gets built outside the walls), but otherwise this is doable.  A tweak, unless someone else has another "Force" design, would be to design it in such a way that all of the Forces can use it, with a communal pool and a dedicated meditation area for each one.  (Unless you don't like that idea.  But it seems rather dwarfish to lump them all together that way.)

Edit: I've come up with two possible designs:
Spoiler: Design Idea 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Design Idea 2 (click to show/hide)

In both designs, the ideal pool depth would be a 3/4, so that anyone venturing into it would gain some swimming skill.  An emergency drain feeding into the moat drainage system, protected by vertical bars and a lever-controlled floodgate would also be installed in case of FUN.  Any preferences and/or additional tweaks?

End edit.

Robek
<snip>

Nice.  I have some options for easy locating (though I can site it elsewhere once I get an obsidian farm up and going):
1) We have 3 levels of diorite (a nice dark grey stone) coinciding with the top cavern level.  These are between the living levels and the upper workshop levels (food & wood focused).  It has marble above and granite below.
2) We have 3 levels of gabbro (another nice dark grey stone) coinciding with the bottom cavern level.  It has marble above and gneiss below.
3) We have 6 levels of diorite just above the magma sea.  It has gneiss above and gabbro below.
4) We have 5 gabbro levels holding the magma sea (right above the clown car).

I'm thinking that either the bottom cavern levels or near the magma/clowns would be a good position (given the "nightmares"), unless you prefer somewhere else?

I usually just give each of my civ's deities a 5x5 smoothed and engraved room in a stone layer, plus one for no particular deity.

I like trying to give each temple a unique feel.  It's another challenge to keep the game interesting.

- Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:30:20 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 08, 2017, 12:50:27 am »

The murky pool had a more practical purpose: refill any water lost to "mist" in the waterfall.  A floodgate controlled by a pressure plate at the entrance to the pool of the shrine might work just as well, opening and shutting the water flow to the waterfall, which would in turn produce a bit of pleasing mist.  That does give the other shrines a reservoir of water to work with as well as conserve FPS.

However, design #2 really is quite a nice one.  The "Forces" would be embodied by their statues, with their respective forests "behind" them, all gazing into a center region of mist and mystery.  Very nice.  A water based pressure plate could keep the water level at 3/7 by opening the grated drain periodically.  Good ideas, all.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:07:46 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36