Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1343309 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #10425 on: November 09, 2016, 01:54:51 am »

Welp, 3rd parties made no progress whatsoever.  Our country continues to bitch and moan about how our candidates suck but refuses to do a damn thing about it.

One or the other were going to win this year, no matter what, but if 3rd parties got even 10% of the vote things would have started changing for the better, just from pressure for voting reform.  Fuck that I guess. 
GG, China, it's your turn at world leader status, we got our heads so far up our ass that we vote for candidates we hate just so the other asshole doesn't win, instead of having the balls to vote for someone we don't loathe.

No it's not the end of the country.  But we just lost our grip on the last foothold we had that had a chance of getting us back to the top of the mountain anytime soon.  Instead we seem to be perfectly happy to stay in this rut of the elections just being a case of choosing who you hate the least, for at least the next 4 years, and someone being in power we don't want for at least the majority of next decade.

You'd probably have better results if the third party candidates weren't mostly wretched rejects from the main two parties, and if the ones that weren't had a budget to make a campaign on or were anything but novelty efforts. Gary Johnson and the Libertarians not getting federal funding is not really a great blow to democracy, since he's pretty much the pinnacle of "vote for me because you hate me the least!", having such hit policies as privatizing the education system and canceling taxes. And then there's Jill Stein. These people thrive in nutbag ecosystems of voters who aren't really worth pleasing, which kneecaps their appeal to anybody who takes this at all seriously.

If the Republicans continue their Wolfman-esque transformation into the racial realism party, though, there might be a possible in if you manage to get big business behind you. Whether you'd care for a third party that picks up where the GOP left off on corporatism, however, is another question.

That said, Kanye 2020, let's ride that black swan into the sunset while everything explodes. Or start a grassroots political party that aren't insane. It's good, if thankless work.

EDIT: Or better yet, join one of the main two parties that best represents your views and start pushing them in directions that you appreciate.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:56:55 am by Harry Baldman »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10426 on: November 09, 2016, 01:56:32 am »

Considering the currently presumptive VP has stated support for plans to reducing funding for HIV research in order to fund LGBT torture camps, it's entirely too bloody understandable.
What the hell, source? Never heard anything like this.

I didn't see what the problem is with LGBT and Trump, aside from Pence, I guess. I don't know much about Pence. I don't think Trump has said anything bad about trans, and Trump has said that he considered gay marriage an issue to be determined by states, not the federal government. Gay people concerned about marriage could move to a state where it's allowed, or get involved in their local/state politics to change state policies, right?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10427 on: November 09, 2016, 01:57:21 am »

Canada is in an odd position

Since we are the US's 51st state... and a subject of the Crown :P

Though ultimately we care more about the USA then the UK I am afraid... mostly because we are becoming more disillusioned about their influence, going from optimistic bewilderment to thinking of them as the creepy uncle you probably won't invite to your next birthday party. :P

While the US is like our Landlord :P

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10428 on: November 09, 2016, 01:57:42 am »

I didn't see what the problem is with LGBT and Trump, aside from Pence, I guess. I don't know much about Pence. I don't think Trump has said anything bad about trans, and Trump has said that he considered gay marriage an issue to be determined by states, not the federal government. Gay people concerned about marriage could move to a state where it's allowed, or get involved in their local/state politics to change state policies, right?
That reminds me of the two biggest reasons I didn't want Trump to get elected:  Pence and Christie.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10429 on: November 09, 2016, 01:59:21 am »

so... hypothetically, do you guys think i should learn Russian or Chinese?
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10430 on: November 09, 2016, 02:00:02 am »

Though ultimately we care more about the USA then the UK I am afraid... mostly because we are becoming more disillusioned about their influence, going from optimistic bewilderment to thinking of them as the creepy uncle you probably won't invite to your next birthday party. :P
* sits you on our knee, pretends to steal your nose then produces a shiny sixpence from behind your ear *

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10431 on: November 09, 2016, 02:00:28 am »

so... hypothetically, do you guys think i should learn Russian or Chinese?
I've heard Russian is one of the hardest languages to learn.  That's about all the help I can give you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10432 on: November 09, 2016, 02:00:55 am »

Well, here's to hoping this'll be interesting.  I remember thinking everything was going to go to shit when Dubya got reelected.  And, I mean, the world does seem like it's going to shit, but I think that's unrelated.

I wonder how many SJWs are having aneurysms right about now.
George W Bush was horrible for the country, the economy, everything.  He got a lot of people killed, tarnished our image, and set many negative precedents for a president basically ignoring everyone except their core group of supporters.  Plus, IIRC he's literally the only president since George Washington to serve a term in which he was not elected by the people as President or VP.  He got put into power by the supreme court after a massive election fiasco in a state where a relative was governor.

I'm glad you're enjoying this friend.  Trump literally hasn't been elected yet and we've already lost 650+ points on the DOW, but at least some people on the internet are unhappy about it!  Huzzah!
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10433 on: November 09, 2016, 02:02:08 am »

That reminds me of the two biggest reasons I didn't want Trump to get elected:  Pence and Christie.

Christie I don't think is going to have any involvement in national politics. I remember him being asked shortly after he endorsed Trump if he was hoping for a position in Trump's cabinet. He said he was going to retire after his current term ended. I don't know if that's changed.

Pence is only an issue if Trump becomes incapacitated and unable to serve as president. VP I don't think has much influence on policy decisions aside from working with the Senate. My knowledge of a VP's role is fuzzy.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10434 on: November 09, 2016, 02:03:44 am »

George W Bush was horrible for the country, the economy, everything.  He got a lot of people killed, tarnished our image, and set many negative precedents for a president basically ignoring everyone except their core group of supporters.  Plus, IIRC he's literally the only president since George Washington to serve a term in which he was not elected by the people as President or VP.  He got put into power by the supreme court after a massive election fiasco in a state where a relative was governor.

I'm glad you're enjoying this friend.  Trump literally hasn't been elected yet and we've already lost 650+ points on the DOW, but at least some people on the internet are unhappy about it!  Huzzah!
I'm just trying to enjoy what I can while I drink myself to death.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: November 09, 2016, 02:03:54 am »

Oddly enough my friend says that Trump's VP is actually far worse then Trump himself.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10436 on: November 09, 2016, 02:04:29 am »

Oh lovely, EH. Not only do we get the worse choice but we get the fun of more stock market panic?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10437 on: November 09, 2016, 02:04:36 am »

Oddly enough my friend says that Trump's VP is actually far worse then Trump himself.
I don't think your fried is all that wrong.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: November 09, 2016, 02:04:55 am »

Quote from: various
it's all the right wing nutjob's fault!

Here's the thing tho: equality, diversity, liberism are hard to grasp for the uneducated poor. So blame the distruction of the middle class.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10439 on: November 09, 2016, 02:05:05 am »

That said, I wholeheartedly approve of Trump for the message I feel it sends to the major parties: People are sick of their shit and will vote in a vulgar celebrity over the party line if they're pushed far enough. It's a very similar concept, just with what I assume are more coherent, professional actors.
Now if we could just get the stupid bastards to start voting something other than Republican or Democrat ...
Welp, 3rd parties made no progress whatsoever.  Our country continues to bitch and moan about how our candidates suck but refuses to do a damn thing about it.

One or the other were going to win this year, no matter what, but if 3rd parties got even 10% of the vote things would have started changing for the better, just from pressure for voting reform.  Fuck that I guess. 
GG, China, it's your turn at world leader status, we got our heads so far up our ass that we vote for candidates we hate just so the other asshole doesn't win, instead of having the balls to vote for someone we don't loathe.

No it's not the end of the country.  But we just lost our grip on the last foothold we had that had a chance of getting us back to the top of the mountain anytime soon.  Instead we seem to be perfectly happy to stay in this rut of the elections just being a case of choosing who you hate the least, for at least the next 4 years, and someone being in power we don't want for at least the majority of next decade.
I mean, obviously that'd be the ideal, yes. But they're not viable (at least in presidential elections over the long term) with the current system, and changing the current system is a hard goal to focus tribal hatred and contempt into, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I guess we could try a California? You know, when they voted a Governor into office, and hated him so badly that three months later they called a do-over and got the Governator? If there was a president you could pull off dragging out of office before he got into it, Trump might be it.

Dosn't matter what 3rd party you wanted just a total 3rd party vote of more than just a sliver.  We needed enough third party voters for a candidate to seriously consiter offering voting reform to pull in their vote next election cycle.   We did not.

We can try again in 4 years.  Which means the earliest hope for any change actually happening to start un-fucking this country is 8 years from now.
I'm pretty dubious that Jill Stein getting 10% of the vote would have convinced Hillary to run on and follow through with revamping the voting system to be less stupid, though. If anything, I would think that'd panic the major parties into wanting to keep their nice two-part channel.

That said, I wholeheartedly approve of Trump for the message I feel it sends to the major parties: People are sick of their shit and will vote in a vulgar celebrity over the party line if they're pushed far enough. It's a very similar concept, just with what I assume are more coherent, professional actors.
Problem is, that's not the message it sends at all. The message a trump victory is going to send is that lying about abso-fucking-lutely everything while beating the drum of nationalism and bigotry is how you win an election. It's also sending the message that party affiliation is more important than your candidate's anything, which is the exact opposite of what you're positing.
Beating the drum of nationalism and bigotry is always how you win elections, it's just a subtler tune against different targets. More to the point, I don't believe Trump won just because there's that many ignorant subhuman morlocks beyond the walls, gathering to Sauron's black hordes at the promise of making women and brown skin illegal. I think he won because he's clearly not a politician in the entrenched, traditional, weasely sense, as evidenced by the fact that he's willing to say outrageous shit and pander to disregarded concerns, and that not even his own party wanted him to win.

Clinton, I feel, is the proof of this. In any normal election, of course the guy shouting slurs and making drunk-tier statements is going to lose. That's why politicians don't do it. So for a famous, well-connected, traditional candidate like Clinton to lose to that suggests that either The Enemy long thought defeated is stronger than we ever imagined, or that a lot of people you'd otherwise consider normal are just not feeling Clinton anymore, either in not bothering to vote for her knowing what the alternative is or outright shifting to the other option.

I don't see how that sends the message that party affiliation trumps everything, though. Like I said, not even his own party wanted him to win.

Dunno anything about him, but I didn't know anything about Bush's VP either and he turned out to be literal Emperor Palpatine. So... anything's possible, I guess.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 1249