Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Copyright  (Read 2224 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 04:03:53 am »

I had forgotten about that nasty bit of copyright law, hosting the content being actionable etc.

Still, they are in the roll of mediator here, and due to that they should be more accessible when it comes to handling those claims.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 04:08:34 am »

Still, they are in the roll of mediator here, and due to that they should be more accessible when it comes to handling those claims.

I definitely agree with that.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 04:25:49 am »

Hello, I am an inventor and small business owner. I have just patented a new form of handgun mechanism. I have bankrupted my company by spending most of my money and effort enforcing my patent, instead of managing my business and creating new inventions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 04:27:40 am »

Hello, I am an inventor and small business owner. I have just patented a new form of handgun mechanism. I have bankrupted my company by spending most of my money and effort enforcing my patent, instead of managing my business and creating new inventions.
I have no problem with war profiteers going bankrupt
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 04:29:41 am »

Spot on, one of the biggest problems with patent law. Big companies can afford to enforce it, small companies / individuals can't.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 04:31:19 am »

License your patent to an interested manufacturer for substantial sum (and they clearly exist or you wouldn't be protecting your IP, further, once you have successfully defended your patent you are entitled to damages from the other parties), begin new development or retire.

The laws aren't perfect (maybe not even good) but they are there and they do work (not always in your favor), still better than not having them at all.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 04:33:05 am »

I have no problem with war profiteers going bankrupt
I picked that one because I heard it happened.

Let's talk about the obvious. Copyright law and patent law limit the rate of artistic innovation and industrial growth, by declaring a single person to be the legitimate origin of copyrighted work or patented innovation; thus forcing the rate of lawful growth to be determined by the personality and intellect of the inventor alone, or their assignees if the law allows transfer of title.

Whole industries are essentially bound up in what amounts to an aristocratic system, with all the problems attached to such systems. Such systems can provide benefit to their subjects, but at great cost.

tl;dr: Industrial growth and cultural spread is limited by IP law, because very few people are allowed to make restricted products.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:06:33 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 05:02:55 am »

They have to pay for the publications themselves too.

This sounds an awful lot like punishing scientists for doing research, which is the opposite of what this was supposed to solve.
Shoes...

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 05:06:44 am »

This is not an issue with patent law. It is a wider issue with law in general, where the accessibility and quality of legal representation is dependent on your wealth.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 05:10:15 am »

how yall doin today?  im doing fine myself
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 05:10:52 am »

[PM]

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 05:15:31 am »

Let's talk about the obvious. Copyright law and patent law limit the rate of artistic innovation and industrial growth, by declaring a single person to be the legitimate origin of copyrighted work or patented innovation; thus forcing the rate of lawful growth to be determined by the personality and intellect of the inventor alone, or their assignees if the law allows transfer of title.

Whole industries are essentially bound up in what amounts to an aristocratic system, with all the problems attached to such systems. Such systems can provide benefit to their subjects, but at great cost.

tl;dr: Industrial growth and cultural spread is limited by IP law, because very few people are allowed to make restricted products.

Yeah, I have to say bullshit to all of that.  Anyone can apply for a patent, anyone can establish a copyright, if their patent or copyright infringes it's on them, not the people who hold the pre-existing IPs.

Humanity is what limits our expansion, someone being a dick about patents/copyright?  Human greed/hubris/whatever.  Corporate interest smacking down new IPs as infringing on theirs?  Same as before.

Don't blame laws designed to protect people from predation for humans being humans.  The laws have been abused, but I absolutely promise you that if they just went away the problem would be many thousands of time worse, because humans suck.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 05:49:42 am »

Big companies spend around 1.5 times as much on patent enforcement as on RnD.

Personally I find that an extremely good sign that something is severely fucked up.

But patents are indeed a slightly different subject from copyright.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 07:15:20 am »

My general idea of it:
It needs updating for the modern day, and probably constant updates into the future, but so long as we have a capitalist society, they'll be needed.
The answer then, is not to solve for the problem of Copyright, but for the problem of capitalism.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 07:18:32 am »

The answer then, is not to solve for the problem of Copyright, but for the problem of capitalism.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 [2] 3