Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we take mate off of the "List of Important People"?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 01, 2016, 07:55:06 pm

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43

Author Topic: Gloomdiamonds: The End of the Story (Finished)  (Read 53510 times)

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gloomdiamonds: A Familiar Darkness Falls on Us
« Reply #420 on: December 16, 2016, 07:12:32 pm »

I imagine that you could just post a thread on DF Gameplay Questions. Something like 'can anyone help me get this save running in Ubuntu?'

Wight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 16, 2016, 08:16:20 pm »

It works! Kay. So I will probably be awhile with my first post. Have a Christmas thing to go to  and due to the speed of my computer and the distance I must travel  I will be gone for two or so days. But I will try to have SOMETHING tonight.
This Signature Is Left Blank till I see something Awesome to put here

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 16, 2016, 08:21:32 pm »

Excellent.

Sometimes the text gave me issues, but scrolling in and out always fixed them.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 17, 2016, 06:00:22 pm »

[OOC] Thanks to Drazoth for help in writing this. [/OOC]

Coming back to his quarter Zothdra passed by a hastily built wall near stockpiles. There was a little hole in the wall due to the brick being mistakenly chipped by masons during wall building. On the other side he saw a little ornamented chest with a glowing diamond. He felt that something is watching him - something from inside the chest, but also something from beyond, darker than the being inside chest. As if evil contained inside it was just a pawn of something much more horrible and ominous, waiting for an opportunity to lunge at his throat and tear it apart. Zothdra decided to stare at the chest no more, and hastening his moves he quickly reached his quarter.

- I should talk about this with my master! - he thought. Zothdra began the technique he had been taught, and soon he had connected his mind to Drazoth's. 
- Ah Zothdra, what's up?  Has Ryukan made his move?
- No, it's about the vampire.  As I passed by the place where it's foul soul was interred, I felt that I was being watched by a malignant presence.  Not just that of the leech but of something far worse.
- Very well, let me have a look. - A moment later - It seems to be that old friend of mine, no, wait a minute. - A few more moments of silence passed. - This is weird.  On the surface it appears to be him, but once I look past that, who or what ever this thing is it is most certainly not him.  It appears there is more than one Dark One.

Strange undecipherable noise cuts in to the communication between Drazoth and Zothdra, then passes into a moment of silence. Suddenly Zothdra's quarter begins to shake as if a powerful earthquake went through it, rumble mixed with an inhuman scream. Curiously energies around revealed that the earthquake and scream were possible to perceive only inside the quarter, as if it was enclosed by a magical barrier. Drazoth's face took on a rare expression.  It was hard to describe, but it seemed like a combination of Rage and malicious Glee. He knew this was going to be very interesting, but he was not happy that something interrupted his conversation.  He would make certain this new Dark One would learn some manners before this was through. A candle on a table in the room lit up. Zothdra looked around and then stared in shock at his own shadow - it was terribly malformed! A tall humanoid creature with a head of an ugly chinchilla, with elongated limbs and razor sharp claws. It moved around the room, but not like a three dimmensional being - it still kept to it's ordinary shadow origin. Zothdra could feel it's gaze drilling right through every element of his very being.

- Who or what are you?  What do you want with me? - Zothdra gripped his sword, not sure if it would do any good here.
- Ath'zeghash ey'tlaot ilf-phjov - The creature spoke in a strange language that Zothdra could not understand or even recognise as any of modern languages. Suddenly the hilt of his sword started glowing and burning to his hands! He dropped it to the ground and saw a black diamond forming in it.
- Do you speak Dwarven you blasphemous creature?  Or do you intend to waste my time with this gibberish? - He slowly knealt down to try and get a closer look at the jewel on his sword. Light emitted by the candle turned deeply red, and there was a growl rousing in the room. The creature seemed irritated with Zothdra. The dwarf looked at the diamond and saw a reflection... of his mutilated face.
- Okay, so you want me dead, and have lots of magic.  good to know.  Now mind informing me why you want me dead, or do you have something against Him?

Silence. The candle was extinguished by a breeze coming from unidentifiable direction and the shadow was gone. The diamond in hilt of Zothdra's sword started glowing sickly and a subtle purple haze enveloped the sword.

- Who is he? - a raspy voice said in dwarven language.
- He is a being from a distant place.  He has not deigned to share his name nor his goals, aside from the fact that he needs this place to complete them.  Who are you?
- You'd better not know who am I if you don't seek death.
- Fair enough.  Now, may I ask what you want with me?

Again silence. Zothdra felt the ominous presence watching him grow and grow. The air was heavy and he had troubles breathing.

- Chest... retrieve the chest... - after the creature spoke, the air was breathable again.
- Very well.  Once I've retrieved it, Where do you want it?
- Here... - A few bricks moved out from wall of his room and fell on the floor, revealing a rectangular opening.
- Alright.  Anything else?
- That is all. - Then the sword started glowing brightly and after a while the gleam ceased. Some runes were carved on the blade. These were words written in elven language, and they meant Suicide.
- May this remind you what awaits if you fail. - Then with another earthquake that shaken only the room, the presence disappeared, leaving no energies through which it could be traced.
- Not good.  I'll need to inform him about this......

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 17, 2016, 08:35:51 pm »

Scourge.. "Yes, Oh Mighty Starcats? A great evil is coming "What!?! What kind of Evil!?!?!?!?!"
That's all we can say "Oh... I will keep watch for that".

(OOC: The Magic Dead Cats(A.K.A the Starcats) don't really do much other then mutter vaguely related warnings )

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 17, 2016, 11:22:58 pm »

In Ryukan's Closet

Ryukan sat on the stone cold floor of his closet-sized room meditating when suddenly a violent shock of energy crashed into the world, and more importantly, in Gloomdiamonds.

Ryukan smirked.

"Now the Fun begins."
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 05:54:32 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 18, 2016, 03:51:16 am »

In Ryukan's Room

Ryukan sat on the stone cold floor of his chambers meditating when suddenly a violent shock of energy crashed into the world, and more importantly, in Gloomdiamonds.

Ryukan smirked.

"Now the Fun begins."

Keep in mind, I made sure to make your room the one at the far end of the remodeled area. It was the only one that wasn't expanded.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:59:33 pm by Pyrite »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 18, 2016, 05:54:07 pm »

Keep in mind, I made sure to make your room the one at the far end of the remodeled area. It was the only one that wasn't expanded.

... jackass.

will rewrite the title

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 18, 2016, 07:01:25 pm »

... jackass.

will rewrite the title

Speaking of rewrites, were you ever going to update the census?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 18, 2016, 09:09:58 pm »

... jackass.

will rewrite the title

Speaking of rewrites, were you ever going to update the census?

That requires motivation, a virtue I do not posses at the moment....

*looks around at the glares directed at him*

FINE FINE, I'll do it *grumble grumble*

Wight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 19, 2016, 07:06:35 pm »

OOC:Since there wasn't a Wight (I was kinda counting on it.) I have selected a dwarf... Also I may have named a npc or two after cousins so I can remember their name and profession But for now remember:
CHAZ GRAND MASTER Custodian

Custodian's Log DwarfDate 1055 12 13
I've had an unusual dream. I stood atop a massive pile of corpses and filth. The stench of a thousand dead flooded my nostrils . “Cleanse, Or die.” I awoke with a shock bashing my head into a nearby wall. It took me a moment or two to remember where I was but once I did I made the decision I t report this  to the overseer. But when I went into his office he handed me a Piece of paper and said to fill it out. It was an application to become the next overseer. Why would such a thing be placed in MY hands!
Custodian's Log, DwarfDate 1056 01 01
Today I was handed the stick of overseership... It seems that no other applications were submitted. And with what I have Heard about Pyrite's reign it's obvious why. I've been told that he was responsible for making GloomDiamonds great for the first time. I suppose it will be my duty to ensure that the entire place does not go to shit. Fantastic.

Custodian's log Supplemental
   I've decided that My first step must be to disassemble all of the workshops and revamp the whole system. I find this hodgepodge mess of centralized workshops to be insulting both to my profession and my dwarven sensibilities. Besides once the workshops are all taken down I can get everyone set up for more importiant projects.
OOC:So I'm not really disassembling everything. But I am building a new experimental craftzone. Because I've come up with a theory. And I want to mess around with the burrows and whatnot. I'll submit a few photos for Review.

Custodian's Log DwarfDate 1056 01 02
   I've sent a few of the miners down to dig out a new area for the craftsdwarves. The idea is that there will be two workshops two bedrooms an input stockpile an output stockpile and a recreation area. (Though one series of workshops will have a booze stockpile instead) That way our craftsdwarves hardly ever have to leave the workshop zone. They can eat sleep drink relax and work without ever having to leave the area. An area of 59X59 Daggers will be able to house 8 dwarves as well as all of the things needed to make them happy. The noise made by the workshops being so nearby might annoy some dwarves but since the closest workshop will belong to the dwarf who is sleeping in said room they will at worst have to deal with the noise of a single workshop. The Floor below our workshopZone will be used to house the various haulers who will be needed to keep the area above well stocked. This is an experimental layout so I'll start small. Perhaps 2 haulers per workshop? For a total of 16. So 16 bedrooms... Time to make another engraving.

Custodian's Log Supplemental
My plans have had to be modified just a little. Though I could indeed easily fit 16 rooms within a single block the rooms in the centre would only have been accessable through another dwarves room. Though there is now a similar issue with the well I intend to place in the centre at least now it will promote cleanliness.
Custodian's Log DwarfDate 1056 01 06
Our GrandMaster of StoneCrafting has taken over a workshop. It seems that he is possessed. How fortunate. Once out craftzone is complete I don't want the workers leaving due to some sudden urge to create a legendary piece of garbage.  Too bad the possessed don't remember their works. It would have been nice to have someone a little bit more experienced on board.
Custodian's Log DwarfDate 1056 01 08
I've received a few petitions from some folks who claim to wish to remain here. I'm not really sure whether I should accept or not. I certainly don't see much sense in having two more people who don't serve any purpose around here.... But perhaps I should consult with a few of the previous overseers. They'll likely have a much better idea of what this means.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:35:21 pm by Wight »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 19, 2016, 07:13:37 pm »

"Accept them" Scourge said, surprisingly not screaming or mentioning the Starcats and infact sounding as close to sane as a dwarf gets for one single sentence fragment.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 19, 2016, 07:53:54 pm »

Hm, decentralized spaces? I hope your planning is good, as it can be easier to screw up than centralized workshops around single stairwell. Screenshots would be appriciated.

If they're animal people I say yes. A goblin would also be useful with no eating or drinking to make them leave their post. Otherwise, I suggest checking their skills with gui/gm-unit to see if they have a great skill in anything useful.

Wight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 19, 2016, 10:54:24 pm »

Yeah.I assume that is a dfhack thing?Is it too late to put in peobus? Ohh. And the idea is to be able to lock up entire sections indefinitely. I want to add a dwarven bathtub (just before each entrance of a massive dining room) and maybe a lever that closes all of the floors off from each other then opens a sealed farm. That way if all else fails the dwarves can just do farmable labor. But that iis for a different experiment. For now just decentralized labour and a booze pile one very floor ( with a 9X9 mug stockpile) Sorry. I am rambling. Kind of hard to say all that stuff in character.  And if it does not work then we have a massive space for coffins. 121 X 12 + 25X16 so 16 5x5 tombs and 12 11x11 spaces. My hypothesis though is that a booze stockpile on each floor will maximize Productivity. But hey in event of critical project failure 12 royal graves and 16 soldier ones (or whatever the next overseer decides)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 20, 2016, 01:32:21 am »

Hm, you screwed up the image links a bit.

And yeah, gui/gm-unit is a dfhack thing (I don't think it gets everything, tho).

Otherwise, could find the information by exporting legends and finding the petitioners there, either by searching the xml (have used this before successfully on mysterious legendary tavern-goers) or by using other utilities like Legends Viewer.

Might want to do that anyway, granted, if going to write a chapter on the state and history of the world.

If you put in phoebus, make sure to revert the changes you've done when handing over the save.

As far as industry layouts go, the way I think about efficiency in forts where there is sufficient unskilled labor is that vast majority of it is decided by how close the raw materials are to the center tile of the workshop.

The best you can archieve on that front is 1 - having the central tile be stairs, or side tiles be downward ramps to stockpile/upward ramps on level beneath.

(Deconstucting floors after building workshops, or for more options obsidian casting are useful for those.)

Now, break room importance: A dwarf sleeps and eats about 8 times a year, and drinks 16 times a year - for at total of 32 interruptions due those (~16 with waterskins). It is possible to synchronize them, but in the worst case there's about 10 days between interruptions and no backup dwarves, at 1 day per job for skilled dwarf* every step closer to workshop is worth 10 tiles of breakroom.

(non-location zone interruptions are generally brief, the longest of them is sleeping at something like 2 or 3 days per sleep time)

In practice, the breaks are likely to line up at once and you hopefully have more than just the one armorsmith or whatnot, so several times that.

Thus, on the input to workshop front, I can't say the layout you have is maximally efficient, though it can be easily boosted.

However, if haulers don't go a long distance going around other haulers, there should be a FPS benefit at least from the mostly two-dimensional design. (I recall A* that DF uses works better with two-dimensional and straightforward designs. ).

However, the bigger question I have is - what pair of workshops will you pick per quadrant?

- Stone is used by 5 different workshops: Mason, Mechanic, Smelter, Jeweler, Craftsdwarf

- Wood is used by 3: Carpenter, Craftsdwarf, Wood burner - and products of last one frequently go to either metalworking, glassworking or soaping.

- Butcher and Tanner can go side by side with single input, but their products are used by craftsdwarf, kitchen, leatherworking and farming workshops.

- Plants are used by still, mill, screw press, farmer's workshop (some of which go into cloth industry) and optionally kitchen.

With 2 workshops per quadrant, have to choose, so I'm wondering what will be chosen :)
This is also the biggest factor that prevents me from sticking appropriate QSP right under each workshops, tbh. Sometimes, have to contend with 2 or 3 or even 4 tiles away for something rare like soaping.

* Varies. A dabbling metalsmith can take five days, I think, while a legendary glazer can do 16 jobs per day in optimal conditions.

I think the best way to handle it in character might be to do it, and then have it be used as backdrop for conversations, with second best being to use it when a person comes into the new area and looks around.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 01:36:23 am by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43